• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
Men like him who fight for the country should be honored. Regardless of politics he had more balls than most of us. Rest In Peace

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It says a lot of a person that you need a mod edit to honor his passing. Bye homie.

Last edited:

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
His political career is rife with questionable decisions and actions, but his courage as a POW and speaking out against the current admin's nationalist bullshit is enough for me to wish him peace.

Oct 25, 2017
He was a complicated person who did some good as well as some bad. Condolences to his family, especially his mother who at 106 must now bury her son.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
How was he evil? Dude personally killed the ACA repeal. You can disagree with his policies, but he at least tried to do the right thing unlike most of the modern GOP.
I would suggest you look at his voting record and general political history. Rare, small gestures like this is what misled people into calling him the "maverick" and other such nonsense.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would not have expected him to pass so soon.

I heard on the news, I believe it was yesterday if not the day before, that he would no longer be continuing treatment. Figured he had a little more time left.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
McCain has undoubtedly devoted his life the country. This man worked until the very last days of his life. Surely most of it is playing golf with other old white folks, but you can never deny the fact that some of the things he did politically took great courage going against his constituents. All I can say is I am truly shamed that the American people voted for a man who disgraced a prisoner of war. Truly shameful.

Yep. I would have preferred him to Bush jr or Trump.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Far from perfect but one of the few leaders of the modern GOP with any sense of respectability. In his absence there will be few like him and we will be worse off for it

Oct 31, 2017
May he rest in peace.

I reiterate that I felt really bad for the guy these past couple of years. He was hated by both the left and right. It must have been tough. He is in a better place now and in peace.

BigMack

Oct 27, 2017
Ted Kennedy died of brain cancer, on this exact day 9 years ago.

As a type 1 diabetic, I'm quite thankful for his vote to not undo the ACA.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Mod post.
My condolences for the lives McCain helped destroy. May they rest in peace.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RIP

condolences to his family. didn't like his political career but he didn't deserve to suffer the way he did in the end.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Christ... this has to be a joke, right?

He didn't know about McCain's passing before posting this, did he?

Less than an hour ago... would the family have notified the White House or Congress before going public in the past few minutes?
The tweet was posted 30 minutes before the news of McCain's death broke. Considering McCain has flat out said he doesn't want Trump at his funeral, I'm sure they didn't tell him squat.

I (don't) look forward to see how Trump fucks up his actual condolences tweet to a tortured POW he said wasn't a war hero.

Edit: And there's the condolences tweet. At least he didn't screw that up. Who knows what will happen when he's talking in person and his word salad mouth/brain takes over.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Let's take a look at the current naming:

Richard Brevard Russell Jr. (November 2, 1897 – January 21, 1971) was an American politician from Georgia[1]. A member of the Democratic Party. He served as the Governor of Georgia before serving in the United States Senate for almost 40 years, from 1933 to 1971. Russell was a founder and leader of the conservative coalition that dominated Congress from 1937 to 1963, and at his death was the most senior member of the Senate[2]. He was for decades a leader of Southern opposition to the civil rights movement[3].

Russell supported racial segregation and co-authored the Southern Manifesto with Strom Thurmond[8]. Russell and his fellow Southern Senators blocked the passage of civil rights legislation via the filibuster. After Russell's protege, President Lyndon B. Johnson, signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 into law[9], Russell led a Southern boycott of the 1964 Democratic National Convention[10]. Russell served in the Senate until his death from emphysema in 1971.

Right, I think McCain would be an upgrade.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. So fast after the latest update.

A real hero who sacrificed for his country. Might've been hawkish in his worst days but he always knew the cost of war. Served his country to the best he could, I believe that.

Of course he had his lapses and horrible opinions, but still a man worthy of honor and respect.

Rip. Well wishes to his family.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't respect many of his choices as a politician and certainly did some awful things, but he also did a lot of good and was a hero.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.