• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
John McCain Will No Longer Be Treated for Brain Cancer, Family Says
https://nyti.ms/2o6xT4D?smid=nytcore-ios-share
WASHINGTON — Senator John McCain of Arizona, who has been battling brain cancer for more than a year, will no longer be treated for his condition, his family announced on Friday, a sign that the Republican war hero is most likely entering his final days.

"Last summer, Senator John McCain shared with Americans the news our family already knew: He had been diagnosed with an aggressive glioblastoma, and the prognosis was serious. In the year since, John has surpassed expectations for his survival. But the progress of disease and the inexorable advance of age render their verdict," the family said in a statement. "With his usual strength of will, he has now chosen to discontinue medical treatment."

Mr. McCain had been undergoing treatment since July 2017, and has been absent from Washington since December. Mr. McCain's family has gathered in Arizona, and people close to him say his death is imminent.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It is impossible to discuss John McCain without touching upon the political legacy that he leaves behind. You may do so, but as always when a public figure dies, we ask that you act with tact and grace. If it appears that you were just waiting for this occasion so that you could post vitriol, you will be banned. If you have a harsher take on McCain's political legacy, there will likely be no shortage of opportunities to discuss that in the future.

Thread has been rebooted.

Edit: To be clear you are welcome to criticize his record without saying you're glad he's dying. It shouldn't be too much to ask that we not treat his death the same way the alt right is.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of his politics, McCain has dedicated much of his life to serving America. As he enters his final days I wish him the best, as I do for his family. I won't forget the one time he stuck up for Obama when someone asked if he wasn't to be trusted because "he's an Arab".

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to try and navigate this tactfully as per the mod post.

So McCain did serve our country, bravely, and I think he had a sense of duty and decency and decorum, which the modern GOP almost-entirely lacks. That is to his credit. The attacks against the man himself, and on his captivity in Vietnam, by the alt-right are a disgrace, and us liberals should aim a little higher.

I don't celebrate his death. I think that his policies as a senator, of constant war-mongering, cost lives. But unlike many "war first" American politicians McCain did serve, he saw combat, and was even captured and tortured. So while as a pacifist I oppose his policies, I recognize that he had far more credibility to argue for military intervention than many other politicians, who did not serve, or even actively avoided serving with deferments. I hope that McCain finds peace in his last days.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know people have complained why didn't he step down. Reality is he did a bigger service not stepping down as it created a much tougher environment for the Senate to navigate through. If he had stepped down you would have someone like Kelli Ward voting yes on every horrible thing under the sun right now and you can bet the GOP would have been ramming a hell of alot more bill wise through the last 10 months

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for your service, McCain. You were one of the better ones in the GOP. I hope you pass peacefully and with your family near.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Leaving our political disagreements behind, I hope his final days are peaceful and he isn't suffering too much. He has been through a lot.

To gab about the political implications for a minute, this could make the Democrats chances of taking the Senate better but it's actually unclear. From FiveThirtyEight:

But — and look, it's uncomfortable to discuss this — Sen. John McCain's health now has major political implications as well. McCain, who has represented Arizona in the Senate for more than three decades, is suffering from brain cancer and has not been on Capitol Hill since December. If McCain resigns or passes away before May 30, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey, a Republican, would appoint a temporary replacement. But there would be a primary in August for the seat and an election in November.
After May 30, although Arizona's election laws are not very clear on this, it's likely that Ducey could appoint someone who would remain in office without until a replacement was chosen in the next general election in 2020.
Weird that they didn't know for sure what the outcome might be now that we're past May 30th. If it's totally up to Ducey, then I'm sure that seat is probably going to stay red.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will never forget his dramatic "NO" vote. For all the legitimate criticisms about the guy and his politics, that will be his endearing legacy IMO, and it's a good moment to remember.

Oct 25, 2017
It is impossible to discuss John McCain without touching upon the political legacy that he leaves behind. You may do so, but as always when a public figure dies, we ask that you act with tact and grace. If it appears that you were just waiting for this occasion so that you could post vitriol, you will be banned. If you have a harsher take on McCain's political legacy, there will likely be no shortage of opportunities to discuss that in the future.

There's gonna be so many bannings when Trump goes.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
As I said in the other thread
Thank you for the time served in service of this country, whether it be the military or in Washington.

We may not agree on everything but you have my respect. Prayers to the family.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Though I've lost all but my respect towards the GOP, John McCain was no doubt one of the good Republicans our there. Plus no matter his stance on politics, the man was always genuinely a good person.

Cancer is certainly no joke; one person in my neighborhood, whose daughter is a friend of my younger sister, is also going though cancer. And someone my parents knew had also succumbed to cancer. Hopefully McCain spends peaceful time with with his family and is no longer suffering in his remaining days.

And like any war veteran, I also salute him for the services he provided for the country. Godspeed, McCain! Godspeed!

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017

While wholeheartedly applaud this, but, not to be a dick, it's hardly been applied evenly in the past. Is this going to be consistent?

OT: Hurts not just losing McCain but another of the more distinguished members in Congress. The Junior class seems pretty lacking. My heart goes out to hi and his family.

Oct 27, 2017
A vote against Kavanaugh would sure cement his legacy as a true Maverick.

Also, where will horse race journalists go for BBQ and tire-swinging now?

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Hope he goes with minimal suffering. It's hard to simply lump him in with the rest of the GOP... he's clearly corrupted to significant degree, but he's shown many instances of not being pure evil like so many others. The man saved Obamacare...or at least, decided not to help destroy it. Gotta thank him for that.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Say what you will about his political opinions, but he was a good man. His refusal to feed off the fear and hate surrounding Obama during his campaign is something I will never forget. That is a move that in today's landscape feels like a long forgotten dream.

I hope his final days are peaceful and that his family finds the closure they need.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
God rest you, Mccain! You're military service was valued, as was your time in politics.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Say what you will about his political opinions, but he was a good man. His refusal to feed off the fear and hate surrounding Obama during his campaign is something I will never forget. That is a move that in today's landscape feels like a long forgotten dream.

I hope his final days are peaceful and that his family finds the closure they need.

By pandering to the tea party directly?

Deleted member 9650

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't agree with the man most of the time, but it was clear that he loved this country, and I'm thankful that he fought for it.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Awful news. Condolences to his family. Can't even imagine what they're going through.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I think, like he said himself just recently, he made some mistakes. He made some errors. But I fully agree that he loves his country and did what he thought was best. I just hope the best for him and his family through this terrible time.

Falcs

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm just waiting for trump to tweet some stupid shit in response to this, trying to sound sincere and like he cares, but he somehow makes it about himself.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Terrible news. I hope his final days are painless.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On February 28, 2008 McCain told ABC News' Bret Hovell, "It's indisputable that (autism) is on the rise amongst children, the question is what's causing it. And we go back and forth and there's strong evidence that indicates that it's got to do with a preservative in vaccines."
RIP John!

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Then what is the point of these threads then? Because whenever a prominent not-so-good person diesn we get the same old thing which is allot of people get banned ,then the thread locked and then gets restarted, then something like this is posted and after that the new thread usually dies.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
For all of his terribleness (unleashing Palin upon us) McCain is one the last decent republicans that actually did try to work across the isle. He did a lot of things I don't agree with, but nonetheless I respect him as a person. Joe Biden had nothing but kind words for him. I certainly have much kinder words and thoughts for him than I do for say, McConnel, Ryan, or Boehner.

I hope he has a peaceful ending and may he Rest In Peace.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then what is the point of these threads then? Because whenever a prominent not-so-good person diesn we get the same old thing which is allot of people get banned ,then the thread locked and then gets restarted, then something like this is posted and after that the new thread usually dies.

There are people who visit forums as a news aggregate. For example, this thread is the first place I saw news of this, even before I saw other people talking about it on twitter. Presumably, these threads are to communicate news about a note worthy figure, not to hold a referendum on his morality.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
McCain is pretty much taking the last vestiges of sanity and class with him from the GoP.

Once he's gone, the classic conservative Republicans are extinct and there are nothing but Red Meat Neo-Cons and Alt-Righters remaining.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I think it was mighty selfish of him not to resign in a timely manner such that an election could be held. Instead the governor gets to appoint a senetor after he dies.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
Say what you will about the man, but if the Republican party had a few more like him, there would be no Trump.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I actually met McCain once briefly. I even flirted with the idea of voting for him a looong time ago had he defeated Bush for the GOP nomination during his first presidential run before he went full-on right wing conservative during his second run against Obama. As much as I might disagree with his political policy and viewpoints now - save for his efforts to get money out of politics - I respect him as a Senator and a person and view him as one of the last "good" Republicans. I think I read somewhere that he wants his eulogy to be given by Obama, which speaks volumes about him as a person and his character. I think the Senate will be a lesser institution without him and I wish only peace and comfort for his family and friends.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Say what you will about the man, but if the Republican party had a few more like him, there would be no Trump.

He helped open the door for Trump by legitimizing Palin. A nice little "he's not an Arab he's a good man" sound bite not withstanding, it's hard to lose sight of that. He could have done a lot more to denounce the kind of idiocy and ignorance he voluntary gave a platform to in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.