• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
Releases on December 24th, for those who are wondering.

I'm definitely gonna be watching this one.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Netflix seems to be giving John Mulaney money to do whatever he wants.

Carry on.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
The special is out now on netflix! I'll probably watch this later this evening. Very curious how this turns out!

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
watched it earlier, and i loved it. the songs are ridiculous and the whole thing is kind of touching without being twee. the interstitial interviews with the kids are great too, a bit surprising how dark some of the subject matter is. the one where Mulaney goes
"okay, besides momo and the babadook and Us, what else scares you" and the girl goes "get out"
cracked me up. there's a shot at/meta joke about another Netflix special that killed me too

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
I heard John talking about this on Conan's podcast and I couldn't wait to see what the hell it was. After watching the trailer...I still can't wait to see what the hell it is!

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Is this meant for kids?

It's... kind of hard to say, lol. I didn't see 100% of it because I was in and out of the room, but the worst content I saw was that a song lyric had the word 'hell' in it. For adults, I think it's 70% entertaining and 30% cringe? A really weird, but interesting, production

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My seven year old daughter watched it with us today. She liked it but clearly all the 70s/80s children show parodies were lost on her.

My 60-something father in law was also perplexed by it. 😂

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
This is fucking amazing, and it's not really for kids at all. I've loved it, very obscure humour though and not for everyone.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Love Mulaney's stand up but I wasn't really feeling most of this. Glad to see him branching out and trying new things though.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is such an insane thing. I can't believe it exists and I love it even if not every sketch hit the mark. Mainly thinking of the pay attention song.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I loved the first half, but it did wear out its welcome at some point. Most of the music is great. Algebra Song! is amazing.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Watched this yesterday and enjoyed the vast majority of it. Some of the songs were too long (white lady sobbing, especially), but overall it was pretty great.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I watched this with my wife. We're big fans of John Mulaney's comedy and Documentary Now! but we didn't think this show was as good as either of those things.

Like, we did like it. We laughed a lot. It's definitely good. But it doesn't reach the heights of Documentary Now! or Mulaney's own stand up. Or even Oh Hello! I wish we loved it the same way as those things, but it was still really good. We liked how long the musical numbers were.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
It hit a truck full of pillows driving by at precisely that moment.

I fucking DIED.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched this again yesterday, and I can't figure out which bit I like the best.

Things that made me laugh the most this time:

The tutor asking John and the kid "Which if you is the 12 year old boy, Jonah?"

Linder's perfect timing when she says "Get Out"

Mr Music's Whole thing, but particularly "I'm making music. You're ignorant!"

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I enjoyed it every time John was speaking, but most of the bits just didn't land for me or were drawn out too long. Especially the songs: they were all just one joke, repeated over and over, and not even particularly catchy or pleasing to listen to.

Some of the kids' talking to cameras were cute, and there were some great moments, but I felt bored at least half the time.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Mr Music made me chuckle, but the rest was sort of eh...

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
the songs are hilarious and the kids are super talented. funniest show since I Think You Should Leave.