• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/03/john-oliver-pence-book-marlon-bundo-copies-sold
Last Week Tonight is getting the last laugh in its (perhaps one-sided) feud with Mike Pence.On Sunday, John Oliver announced that staff writer _Jill Twiss and illustrator E.G. Keller had penned a picture book that purposefully apes the Pence family's own children's book about their bunny, Marlon Bundo.

In a twist of expert trolling, Oliver just revealed that his team's book not only beat the Pence family book on the charts, but has also sold 180,000 copies already—just days after its publication was announced. What's more, the book isn't even available in bookstores yet—only Amazon.
While the Pence book is about Bundo following Vice President Mike Pence around for a day, the Oliver book is about Bundo falling in love with a boy bunny and getting married—a direct response to Pence's anti-L.G.B.T.Q. reputation. In addition, all proceeds of the Last Week Tonight book go to non-profit organizations the Trevor Project and AIDs United.
Take my book off shelves if old.

thatother

Dec 12, 2017
It helps that it's a genuinely good children's book by all accounts, not just a quick thing done for laughs (although the situation is really funny)

The organizations the book is supporting are also fantastic.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
The way Charlotte Pence handled this with grace and class was incredibly admirable. She supported both projects and charities, even bought the book herself and explicitly stated she supports the charities Oliver is supporting.

What was really lost with the Oliver piece was her book was partly for charity as well (Tracy's Kids, which provides young cancer patients with art therapy).

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm sure Mike Pence is crying himself to sleep every night over this.
Pence hasn't reacted or cared about literally any of the stunts people pulled to troll him. His daughter, who is the author of the book Oliver is parodying, bought the book herself. They really don't give a shit.

The Oliver book itself actually isn't bad though, and the money is going to a good cause, so you should buy it for those reasons, but if you really think this bothers the Pence family... don't.

EDIT: I know you're being sarcastic btw, I'm just building on what you said.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not, but be assured he's not thrilled about it...
The Pence book is #4 on Amazon's best selling list. Us on the left should realize by now the right has just as much support that will mobilize. If anything, this brought waaaaay more attention to the book, which is great, since some of the proceeds go to charity.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Pence's daughter say some super classy stuff about this book? It probably boosted her sales, too.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I found out about Marlon Bundo half a week ago, and was disappointed such a good name went to an asshole's pet, but the bunny's legacy will now be entrenched in positive representation of the LGBTQ+ community, and at the end of the day, that's the real treat.
that, and the donations, of course.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Both books look cute tbh, just by looking at the photos of the book on amazon.

John Oliver must have spent a long time on the internet in the early 2000s, honing his boss level troll skills though.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Awesome. If I had a kid, I would have bought them this Marlon Bundo and the Santa's Husband book.
Santas-Husband.jpg

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Money goes to charity. Spreads awareness for a good cause. Helps kids understand something parents would find awkward to talk about.

Pence not feeling slighted or insulted or whatever is meaningless. Fuck his feelings.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This was a great initiative by Oliver and it looks like it's going to do a lot of good for those charities. I just hope that folks mobilize to the polls this November as well as they have for this book.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The Pence family has been taking it very well actually.. I've seen quotes from both his wife and his daughter that make me wonder how they are even associated with Mike let alone his family. Of course that could all just be public persona..

Perfection

Mar 2, 2018
The Pence family has been taking it very well actually.. I've seen quotes from both his wife and his daughter that make me wonder how they are even associated with Mike let alone his family. Of course that could all just be public persona..
It could be that the girl doesn't hold the same views as him or keeps her opinions to herself. I imagine it's the former as no one has come out to say that she's a homophobe.

We also forget one thing, Mike isn't some struggling writer looking for a come-up, he's the vice president of the United States in a bad administration.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The way Charlotte Pence handled this with grace and class was incredibly admirable. She supported both projects and charities, even bought the book herself and explicitly stated she supports the charities Oliver is supporting.
That must make for some very interesting discussions with her father.

IPSF

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What was really lost with the Oliver piece was her book was partly for charity as well (Tracy's Kids, which provides young cancer patients with art therapy).

Make no mistake, Oliver's book will have boosted the sales of the Pence book just from publicity and people who don't like Oliver's idea buying it out of spite.

It's win win for the charities.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
When I saw this on his show I couldn't believe the effort put into it. That's pretty amazing it sold so well

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Yeah absolutely. But Isn't it going for A21 that works to fight human trafficking, including child soldiers, slave labor, victims of sex trade etc. Hopefully people have the class to support that too, even if it's related to someone like Mike Pence it's still a good cause. We shouldn't go as far as to hurt good causes and intentions just to raise our middle fingers. I think Oliver should show an example in this too.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

While this is true, the major difference is the explicitly said all profits from Oliver's book are going to charity. We have no idea what percentage of the Pence book is going to charity, unless it's been clarfied since. So even that is potentially shaky

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah absolutely. But Isn't it going for A21 that works to fight human trafficking, including child soldiers, slave labor, victims of sex trade etc. Hopefully people have the class to support that too, even if it's related to someone like Mike Pence it's still a good cause. We shouldn't go as far as to hurt good causes and intentions just to raise our middle fingers. I think Oliver should show an example in this too.

A "portion" is going to three charities including A21 and the aforementioned Tracy's kids (which Karen Pence sits on the board of). I don't recall the third offhand

Regardless, her book shouldn't be purchased if for no other reason then its sleazy far-right publisher. Just go donate to those charities.

I have nothing against Charlotte Pence, but their choice of publisher and the subsequent book tour catering to far-right groups Oliver mentioned turned this into a political affair rather than a silly non-controversial book for kids

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best thing about Oliver's book is that all the funds go to charity. Also the entire segment was funny as hell

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"While the Pence book is about Bundo following Vice President Mike Pence around for a day..."

Wow, that sounds like the most boring shit ever.

"Oops, a female entered the room. Gotta go into the other room..."

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
A "portion" is going to three charities including A21 and the aforementioned Tracy's kids (which Karen Pence sits on the board of). I don't recall the third offhand

Regardless, her book shouldn't be purchased if for no other reason then its sleazy far-right publisher. Just go donate to those charities
Ah thanks for clarifying tried to look it up but came up with both charities.