• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Main problem with gamepad support in choco/crispy doom is it doesn't recognize the trigger axis for button input. So no xbox/ps4 controller if you want to use the triggers to fire. May not be a problem depending how you like to configure but losing two buttons blows.

Probably not a problem in the fancier ports, but haven't actually tried.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I finished it, and I liked the second half more than the first half. There's a survivalist element in play that I wasn't expecting in how there are few health and ammo pickups. There's enough ammo to get you through a level and then some extra, but I was not often at max ammo and the only backpack in the game is in the last level. The health pickups are stringent but they are enough for a decent run through. I gave up trying to clear levels without saving because I'd invariably mess up by losing too much health at one point and die to the opening shot of an enemy. If I was better I suppose I'd only be taking cheap hitscan shots and projectiles I didn't see, but I'm not that good.

This does translate to a slower-paced Doom than I was expecting. Levels don't have a par time so I don't have a point of comparison, but some levels took upwards of 12 minutes beginning to end (not including loading, restarts, etc. IIRC only E4 levels came close). Often times skipping enemies will bite you in the ass as parts of levels open up or they hit a teleporter and end up in a different room, so being methodical works out better (I know, usually you will kill everything but given the ammo balance you may think otherwise). An emphasis on shooting switches and backtracking through repopulated areas also contribute to this feeling.

Overall it's decent, meant to challenge Doom players by being a bit unconventional without being completely unfamiliar or unfair. I thought the final boss fight was a bit interesting:

So It's a Spider Mastermind. Cool. Then you fight a Cyber demon in a long hallway, negating the most effective strategy that Players have been using for years to kill it - Circle-strafing. It's a bit disappointing but funny nonetheless.

I'm not familiar enough with Doom to compare it to the base episodes, but it certainly wasn't as difficult as Thy Flesh Consumed could be. If you like Doom it's worth playing. If not, It's still an interesting experience to see a Dev return to a game that's two and a half decades old.
Thy Flesh consumed is actually considered one of the hardest official map sets only behind Plutonia liking this will not be a super hard time considering i am rusty

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm pretty stuck on level 5 at the moment. I've been doing Ultra Violence pistol start but I think this one's going to make me either have to lower the difficulty level briefly or spawn myself a couple weapons to start. It's super easy to lose a bunch of health quickly.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Bought the soundtrack version immediately but now I'm glad I waited to play it. Hurt me Plenty it is, then (at least for my first playthrough). I would totally have started on Ultra Violence and got frustrated and savescummed my way through. And since there's two soundtracks it even makes sense to play it twice.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I gained newfound resolve to beat the WAD on pistol start and no save-scumming and have made it through the secret level so far. Now that I'm understanding how the maps work and how you should tackle them I think the levels are far, far, far better than some of the first impressions have said they are. Decino, who methodically plays difficult Doom WAD's has an excellent playthrough of Sigil that really helps if you are stuck. He's very informative so you will become a better Doom player by watching him. I think I'll try and beat the game tonight.