• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
This is awesome. Are any European retailers going to carry the physical edition?

EDIT: Never mind, just saw how old the thread is and it's sold out... How did I miss this...

BubbaMc

Oct 30, 2017
Buckethead!? How the fuck did I not know about this until today?

Please tell me it's possible to play the game with the Buckethead OST if you missed out on the limited physical versions!

BubbaMc

Oct 30, 2017
Did not know that Romero is a Buckethead fan, but after reading Masters of Doom it doesn't surprise me at all - he loves crazy shit.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Is this downloadable now?

It was delayed due to issues in manufacturing the physical version. But it looks like those boxes started shipping today, so the free version should be available a week from now, assuming they're sticking to the original plan.

Please tell me it's possible to play the game with the Buckethead OST if you missed out on the limited physical versions!

As far as I know, the new soundtrack is only available in-game in the physical version.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
IgMyx.gif

Good to hear the physical version started to ship already tho. Maybe soon.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know, the new soundtrack is only available in-game in the physical version.
Correct. The free version is just MIDI but you can buy the Buckethead stuff here: https://music.bucketheadpikes.com/album/sigil-soundtrack
Note, it's mostly a "best of" the bucket.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
If Romero is aging into making megawads priced at $6.66 with chocolate Doom support then it gives me small hope we are not truly in the darkest timeline.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I've never listened to Buckethead before. This music is fucking awesome. Are they selling the music anywhere? How indicative of his usual work is this stuff?

I agree with him on how dark some sections are and the lack of health packs. But, I'm liking it so far after having finished the first three levels. I'd pay for another pack from him, especially if he moved on to Doom 2.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing through this on UV with no midlevel saves. Pretty good so far, although I don't much like the emphasis on lava.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
What Sinatar said plus it seemed really weird when for example Civvie11 put out a quick video warning people about how the release is broken and needs to be patched, he even showed examples of some of the broken things and they were indeed things anyone that played Blood before would notice really fast. So then you had one video saying how brilliant the release is and another video saying it's broken with examples. I haven't followed both for very long but since then, Gman is on my watch list of people to not trust too much with what they are saying.
For Sigil, so far he seems to be the only one not liking it, at least from what I saw.

X68k

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear that Romero designed the maps with doom's software lighting/fake contrast in mind, not gzdoom's fucky overly dark sector lighting. It also sounds like the design ethos for these maps is as an evolution of e4m2 and e4m6, which are my favorite vanilla maps so everything gman whines about actually sounds fantastic to me. Making challenging maps based around restrictive geometry and ammo starvation may not be to the tastes of modern slaughtermap enthusiasts or the way community maps have generally been for the last decade, but it's still a perfectly valid way to design the game and is very much in-line with his previous work. "I can't run past enemies" is one of the most bizarre complaints I've seen about a map.

Regardless I stopped watching gman a while ago, once i got tired of him screaming 'artificial difficulty!' in every other video. Civvie is one of the few fps-focused video makers that still manage to entertain and give meaningful critique.

Last edited:

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty clear that Romero designed the maps with doom's software lighting/fake contrast in mind, not gzdoom's fucky overly dark sector lighting. It also sounds like the design ethos for these maps is as an evolution of e4m2 and e4m6, which are my favorite vanilla maps so everything gman whines about actually sounds fantastic to me. Making challenging maps based around restrictive geometry and ammo starvation may not be to the tastes of modern slaughtermap enthusiasts or the way community maps have generally been for the last decade, but it's still a perfectly valid way to design the game and is very much in-line with his previous work. "I can't run past enemies" is one of the most bizarre complaints I've seen about a map.

Regardless I stopped watching gman a while ago, once i got tired of him screaming 'artificial difficulty!' in every other video. Civvie is one of the few fps-focused video makers that still manage to entertain and give meaningful critique.
As an aside, there are numerous references to E4 throughout. The second level is practically a parody of E4M2 (cyberdemon, the map start, etc.).

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
kinda new to the wad thing but... i thought gzdoom was the go-to standard? never had any issues with it personally

I'm having a hard time adding stuff to it beyond the standard stuff included (Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, TNT, Plutonia). Had to find a special patch someone made that recompiles the Master Levels from steam into a special WAD but even that took some luck.

When I look for guides online it's all very confusing as there's what seems like hundreds of variations of zdoom out there and a lot of the guides are complicated and out of date.

If I put the sigil WAD in my gzdoom folder will it just automatically show up in my list of choices when I run gzdoom?

X68k

Oct 25, 2017
kinda new to the wad thing but... i thought gzdoom was the go-to standard? never had any issues with it personally
i'd argue that prboom-plus is still the gold standard for doom ports with near perfect vanilla and boom compatibility. g/zdoom doesn't care as much about boom compatibility (and doesn't care at all about vanilla), it just kind of does it's own thing. i keep it around to play mods designed for it, but i always use prboom for any standard limit-removing or boom format map.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time adding stuff to it beyond the standard stuff included (Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, TNT, Plutonia). Had to find a special patch someone made that recompiles the Master Levels from steam into a special WAD but even that took some luck.

When I look for guides online it's all very confusing as there's what seems like hundreds of variations of zdoom out there and a lot of the guides are complicated and out of date.

If I put the sigil WAD in my gzdoom folder will it just automatically show up in my list of choices when I run gzdoom?
You can just drag sigil.wad (+ sigil_shreds.wad if you have that) to gzdoom.exe and that's all you need to do.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

what i do is have the wads as desktop shortcut and drag n drop to gzdoom. works fine though sometimes i have to do trial and error as to which game to open (most run off doom 2 but some are Heretic, maybe an odd wad ran off Ultimate Doom now and again)

but sigil is a big deal, they're even charging for it (if you so choose to pay). i would think it's very "out of the box" playable

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
It's pretty clear that Romero designed the maps with doom's software lighting/fake contrast in mind, not gzdoom's fucky overly dark sector lighting.

Interesting. There are various options for sector lighting in GZDoom (Options -> Display Options -> OpenGL Renderer -> Sector Light Mode: Standard,Bright,Doom,Dark,Legacy,Software). For some reason the GZDoom default is "Dark" which seems to be the problem here. If you are right, we just have to set it to "Doom" or "Software" and the maps should look closer to what Romero intended.

Edit: An interesting discussion about what those modes actually do can be found here:
Other than "bright" and "legacy", you can consider the lighting mode to be successive iterations of an attempt at looking more like the software renderer.

Standard (first implementation) -> Dark (approximation of Doom's non-linear light levels) -> Doom (Dark mode + shader-based brightening around the player) -> Software (shader-based reimplementation of Carmack's original software algorithms).

Bright is a hybrid of standard and bright. It uses standard's linear light levels but dark's light diminishing.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was just playing around with GZDoom and found that I like True Color SW Renderer far more than the default video mode. I also tried Doom SW Renderer but it seems to have trouble with Sigil. The textures in the very first room look really weird in Doom SW Renderer!

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm using the Boom-compatible WAD in prboom+ and everything looks nice and normal to me.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Ggmanlives is saying the wad is bad.

Going to wait for Civvie's opinion too but apparently its a bit of a disappointing pack.

X68k

Oct 25, 2017
Ggmanlives is saying the wad is bad.

Going to wait for Civvie's opinion too but apparently its a bit of a disappointing pack.

As someone who adores the incredible "current-gen" community works like BTSX, AA, and Eviternity, it's not bad at all. If you like Romero's style of map from thy flesh consumed (which you should - i still posit that e4m2 is the best vanilla map ever made), that's exactly what you're getting here.

It's unfortunate that gman didn't like it and that's probably going to color the opinions of a lot of folks, but his review comes across to me as someone who has a very narrow view of what Doom is.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck a free mod is disappointing.
How is it hard to understand that people have high hopes for a new set of levels made by the person responsible for the best parts of the original Doom?
"The original creator is doing a new thing with their old thing" is usually a big deal, no matter the price tag.

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Having played a bit (the first 4 levels or so) I think it's alright. I'm not a huge fan of the use of lava and damaging floors which are unavoidable as far as I could tell, which is a pain if you take too much damage earlier. I'm no Doom prodigy, but losing a minimum of 10/15 health 3/4s through a map before opening a door to a zombieman, shotgunguy, a pinky and an Imp on a narrow ledge seems a little more mean than challenging (plus a cacodemon or two if you didn't kill them earlier). Layout-wise the levels are not as straightforward as I was expecting, and the exit to the second level took me so long to find I was sure I was missing something.

I've also been playing TNT and that's a hell (heh) of a lot more spiteful in spawns, so Sigil is comparatively fine in that regard. It's not easy but it isn't all that cheap. I'll try finish later and see if I change my mind. I'll try that lighting change in GzDoom above too. That's probably a good idea.

I suppose I wish it was a Doom 2 wad instead of Doom 1, but that's mostly for the supershotgun. The enemy variety in Doom is a bit lacking but its fine for an 8/9 level wad.

Edit: I played mission 2 again and I realized that I'd missed a switch repeatedly that allowed me to skip the lava. That's on me.

Last edited: