• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 30, 2018
So, John Wayne did a Playboy interview and he's awfully racist

PLAYBOY: Angela Davis claims that those who would revoke her teaching credentials on ideological grounds are actually discriminating against her because she's black. Do you think there's any truth in that?
WAYNE: With a lot of blacks, there's quite a bit of resentment along with their dissent, and possibly rightfully so. But we can't all of a sudden get down on our knees and turn everything over to the leadership of the blacks. I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.

PLAYBOY: Many militant blacks would argue that they have it better almost anywhere else. Even in Hollywood, they feel that the color barrier is still up for many kinds of jobs. Do you limit the number of blacks you use in your pictures?
WAYNE: Oh, Christ no. I've directed two pictures and I gave the blacks their proper position. I had a black slave in The Alamo, and I had a correct number of blacks in The Green Berets. If it's supposed to be a black character, naturally I use a black actor. But I don't go so far as hunting for positions for them. I think the Hollywood studios are carrying their tokenism a little too far. There's no doubt that 10 percent of the population is black, or colored, or whatever they want to call themselves; they certainly aren't Caucasian. Anyway, I suppose there should be the same percentage of the colored race in films as in society. But it can't always be that way. There isn't necessarily going to be 10 percent of the grips or sound men who are black, because more than likely, 10 percent haven't trained themselves for that type of work.

PLAYBOY: That's hardly the point, but let's change the subject. For years American Indians have played an important—if subordinate—role in your Westerns. Do you feel any empathy with them?
WAYNE: I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them, if that's what you're asking. Our so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.
PLAYBOY: Weren't the Indians—by virtue of prior possession—the rightful owners of the land?
WAYNE: Look, I'm sure there have been inequalities. If those inequalities are presently affecting any of the Indians now alive, they have a right to a court hearing. But what happened 100 years ago in our country can't be blamed on us today.

https://pages.shanti.virginia.edu/Wild_Wild_Cold_War/files/2011/11/John_Wayne_Playboy_Int2.pdf

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't he known for playing a cowboy? Feels like it's far for the course.

Speaking of old actors who are actually pieces of shit and got away with it, remember Sean Connery talking about the right technique for hitting women?

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that John Wayne was a piece of shit has been out there for a long time.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't he known for playing a cowboy? Feels like it's far for the course.

Speaking of old actors who are actually pieces of shit and got away with it, remember Sean Connery talking about the right technique for hitting women?
Was watching a cracked video on YouTube the other day that discussed this. Weird, wild stuff (to reference another famous abuser).

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
We all know John Wayne was a douche. Fucking draft dodger, made the Green Berets, probably racist, the list goes on.

He still made some great movies, though.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
This is known, but thank you for sharing it.

Off-topic: I was watching an old James Bond movie starring Sean Connery and there's a scene where Bond with one of his Bond girls at a beach in Miami and Felix Leiter shows up to talk to him. And the lady asks what they're talking about. James says, "Man stuff." And he spanks her on the butt and prompts her to leave.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The most alarming thing is how his arguments are 98% the same ones i see today when talking about diversity. The 2% is the dog whistles that don't really fool anymone.

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. That is some fucked up answers, and in 1971??? Jesus. Man, I knew he was a piece of shit. But this is still so gross.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
But John is known for being so racially progressive!

FoV2aVT.jpg

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guy who played the heroic cowboy killing "savage" native americans was racist?

This guy??
KOz4nb8.jpg

whaaaat?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apprerently he also funded a large amount of white supremacy groups in the States, that wouldn't have been able to survive without his patronage.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
PLAYBOY: Many militant blacks would argue that they have it better almost anywhere else. Even in Hollywood, they feel that the color barrier is still up for many kinds of jobs. Do you limit the number of blacks you use in your pictures?

look at this shit, this is the shit they say about Kaep and BLM. Replace militant with radical. They love trying to discredit shit

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Audie Murphy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>John Wayne

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
John Wayne was a racist ass dude? Well shit that's totally surprising that a rich, well to do socialite who was a lifelong dedicated conservative was a racist shitbag.

It's weird though how all the major players in old Westerns are pretty much all horrible people.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
You're at least 48 years late on this one OP.

I'm pretty sure this has been brought up either here before or back at the old place as well.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
John Wayne was a racist ass dude? Well shit that's totally surprising that a rich, well to do socialite who was a lifelong dedicated conservative was a racist shitbag.

It's weird though how all the major players in old Westerns are pretty much all horrible people.
I wonder if that is why folks stop letting a microphone anywhere close to clint eastwood

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought this was kind of well known and why he's basically never talked about outside of cowboy film history.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost every U.S president was a racist. Every single founding father was racist. 99% of people born pre 1950s were racist. That's just how the world was. Some would say it still is.