• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If many of them were racist, that just makes them...racist. Just because it was "normal" doesn't negate its racistocity.
And I agree with you. But what I am saying is maybe lot of them could have been different if they grew up in todays society. Perhaps not racist, If you and I grew up in the early 1900s we probably would have been lot different than we are now.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I agree with you. But what I am saying is maybe lot of them could have been different if they grew up in todays society. Perhaps not racist, If you and I grew up in the early 1900s we probably would have been lot different than we are now.
Perhaps. But your initial posts didn't seem to be getting to this. I think that's why you're being dogpiled

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If Europeans didn't engage in colonialism or find justifications for the revival of slavery, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

"If things were different, things would be different" isn't a profound statement.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps. But your initial posts didn't seem to be getting to this. I think that's why you're being dogpiled
Sorry English is not my main language so maybe sometime its difficult to express my thoughts the right way. But that's what I meant. It is indeed a curious case for a man to be racist and then marry have many children with non white women. that is all I was thinking.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand the point of this post.

A lot of slave owners infamously raped their black female slaves. Their attraction to these poor women doesnt make the slave owners any less racist. Your mention of Wayne's Hispanic wives is akin to someone claiming they can't be racist because they have black friends.

Once again... that's. Not. How
Racism. Works.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of slave owners infamously raped their black female slaves. Their attraction to these poor women doesnt make the slave owners any less racist. Your mention of Wayne's Hispanic wives is akin to someone they can't be racist because they have black friends.

Once again... that's. Not. How
Racism. Works.
Ok I see what you are saying. But comparing Wayne to slave owners is a bit too much no? He didn't rape his wives, he married them, built a family had children. Maybe he got divorced for personal reasons but I just found him being compared to a slave owner is extreme?

J75

Sep 29, 2018
This is why i do not indulge in old classic Hollywood films despite my love of the medium. Too much racist/sexist/homophobic people and content in those films.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
A man who thinks both women and non-white men are sub-human has no difficulty marrying and having children with a non-white woman. Misogyny and racism often go hand in hand. Only white men are real people with agency -- everyone else is a resource to be used.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean on the one hand I believe we should judge people based on their time, people are products of their environment and upbringing and while we shouldn't excuse it we should still understand it in context.

But on the other hand, even for his own time he was a racist, draft dodging, chickenhawk piece of shit. Also The Dude took your best role and did it better than you did.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Before also most jump the gun here John Wanye was not all that Racist. He was married 3 times and all his wives were Hispanic. what does that tell about him ? I think he would be a different person If he was born todays time. I think his beliefs towards African Americans is just what he was taught growing up. He did grow up in the early 1900s.
Not saying he is not racist. But I don't think he would think this way if he was born todays time. Guys been dead since 1979. I am wiling to be many that grew up during his time thought the same way too.
Why the world was very different when he was growing up. People didn't think the way we do now. While what he said was racist and I agree 100%. I am sure his views would have been different if he was born in 1990 other than 1907 when racial segregation was the norm.

12_boys_nazi_salute.w700.h467.0.jpg

What did you learn today?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Him being trash has long since been documented, yeah. Screw any excuses for him too, especially when people just like him still exist and always will.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
John Wayne was a racist ass fool though his sentence about him saying that he supposes the population % of Blacks should be reflected in the workforce, is something even too progressive for the modern American lol.
Before also most jump the gun here John Wanye was not all that Racist. He was married 3 times and all his wives were Hispanic. what does that tell about him ? I think he would be a different person If he was born todays time. I think his beliefs towards African Americans is just what he was taught growing up. He did grow up in the early 1900s.
OJ Simpson was not all that misogynistic. He was married twice and both times were with women. What does that tell about him?
Yup, look at the upper ranks at most companies. We basically have no presence.
"Our company is all for diversity but what we're not prepared to do, is to lower our standards.". LOL.

What Wayne is saying about "The Blacks" is still a general attitude.
The US is still heavily segregated as hell. If John Wayne were a tech bro he still would have a problem with having a Black boss lol.

To add, since Black people were enslaved here in the 1600s there was always a minority White population of abolitionists with a majority of Whites being racist. White America didn't have a change of heart from within, outside factors were what improved some traditionally racist behavior.
All out Civil Warfare and the implementation of laws thereafter is what reined in White America's bloodlust. That prior hatred mostly evolved into dislike and "tolerance".

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMG

What did you learn today?
The secret answer is that they also grew up in a deeply racist society. People like to think that we've somehow evolved beyond racism, but that's ridiculous.
We've painted over some of the more obvious spots, but the systemic rot is still present in the entire structure.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If we're going to talk abolitionism and racism, let's not forget that abolitionists weren't necessarily basing their position on moral grounds.

Oct 28, 2017
Psh, MDC wrote a song about this all the way back in '82

It was public knowledge for a long time but Wayne had been given "American hero" status so the general public was quick to go all "We forgive you king."

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
For extra yucks, look up the beliefs his bestie and frequent co-star Ward Bond held. Dude made ol' John almost look tolerant, which might be why Wayne kept him around.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
john-wayne1.jpg

LOL "not all that Racist"
Whites playing Asians were common in that time. Obviously a super miscast. John wayne being John wayne being Genghis Khan. that movie is the reason he most likely got his cancer, it was shot near a heavily irradiated area. The crew used to joke about the Geiger Counter too. A lot of people ultimately caught cancer from that movie at least that's what it is believed now I think.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
It is indeed a curious case for a man to be racist and then marry have many children with non white women. that is all I was thinking.
"I believe in white supremacy" is not canceled out by a spouse with melanin. Y'all know he also routinely cheated on his spouses? You think because a man puts a ring on a woman of color that's a free pass to say blacks shouldn't have rights?

Get the complete fuck out of here.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry English is not my main language so maybe sometime its difficult to express my thoughts the right way. But that's what I meant. It is indeed a curious case for a man to be racist and then marry have many children with non white women. that is all I was thinking.
I'm gonna assume each of them was "one of the good ones" to him

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Oh huh. It's not surprising, but I actually did not know the depths of John Wayne's awfulness. Only ever really known of him as "that cowboy guy old white people think is super cool."

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol for some reason now I'm curious as to who were John Wayne's favorites among "The Blacks" and who he considered educated enough to compete with Whites.

Ronabo

Oct 26, 2017
OHIO
Wasn't he known for playing a cowboy? Feels like it's far for the course.

Speaking of old actors who are actually pieces of shit and got away with it, remember Sean Connery talking about the right technique for hitting women?

I just wanted to point out that the saying is "Par for the course" Like in golf.

Oct 25, 2017
John Wayne ran in similar circles as Ronald Reagan.

Look up what happened to Rock Hudson (the did the film "The Undefeated" together) sometime if you really want to know who much of a shit lord Wayne (and Reagan) were.

Fitzgerald

Feb 23, 2018
I don't really understand the "it's a different time" angle. I mean, I'm pretty sure not being racist was an option back then too. Hell, one of the most popular country musicians back then wrote a song about interracial love back in the 60s. It wasn't mandatory to be white and racist back then, even in a conservative milieu.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
What rumors? Rumors are a bit different from documented facts such as with Wayne.

Also, Audie Murphy had severe PTSD from his war experience in a time where there was zero understanding of it so a lot of shitty behavior could be blamed on it.
I've heard alot of rumos when I was in the army that he was a child molester...

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty old news. It's come up a few times over the years I believe.

Dude was garbage.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
To all the people saying "we know about this" or "we've had threads on this before":

Who the fuck cares? People like this should be shamed until the end of time. Nobody should forget that people like this were incredibly common in the world.

In 50 years we better still be shaming Trump supporters for the shit they have done and said. It's unacceptable and it can't be repeated enough.