• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
John Wayne is fading from the cultural memory. His movies haven't stood the test of time. No one gives a shit about him now except people over 70 years old. In 50 years he'll be a footnote in movie history.

I do think the quotes are interesting in how they can inform us today, but as for the man, he's dead and buried.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. And some of the Beatles hit women. Tupac was a rapist. And Miles Davis was horribly abusive.

I didn't know about Miles Davis. Sucks :/.

Sure. But unless we are discovering new information about a celebrity that died 40 years ago, don't be suprised when people respond with "and...who gives a shit?".

I get the impression the point of some of these threads is to start some sort of "woke" dick measuring contest.

"You only hate John Wayne? WELL, after my father died last week, I spoke at his funeral and told everyone I burned the James Brown memorabilia I inherited."

This is something I've learned. You cannot assume everyone has the same knowledge you do. Sure some of it is probably some sort of wokeness contest, but if John Wayne's attitudes were the reflection of many Americans at the time, I think it's okay to be like "reminder, dude was a piece of shit" especially for a younger generation who doesn't even know who John Wayne is. At some point, that actor is going to be Ronald Reagan after all.

'Today I learned' works pretty well.

"15 year old kid TOTALLY DESTROYS John Wayne" is how I prefer it on YouTube these days.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
It's worth reminding people how openly racist a huge film star could be in my lifetime.

I also wonder what he he thought but didn't say.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Todays kids are all like "Hold up, grandma and grandpa... y'all ain't shit for letting all this ride" and I love it.

"Grandma, why didn't you tear down the white male patriarchy?"

People have been fighting for equality for a long, long time, for generations. It's taken a lot of work just to get to where we are.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Even though its old news, I love the fact its getting resurrected because lord knows people viewed racism back then as simply, "They didn't know better"...which you see trotted out even today. Also, for the fact that Wayne represents an American icon so this is going to be news for many people.

While Lord knows America has a waaaaays to go to right its racist ship, the reason we are imho ahead of the curve when it comes to discussing these issues is the fact that there's a space to call out racist shit where in othr countries it would be seen as divisive as they keep their systemic racism in place.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.

Wonder if he'd be fine with, ideologically speaking, immigrants coming through our borders then.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I mean the Searchers is still hailed as one of the greatest films of all time but go off

The Searchers? When's the last time anyone had a The Searchers conversation? I can't even remember the last time I had a John Wayne conversation.

Which is the point of that first portion of my post. As time moves on so does cultural memory. Movies from 50 years ago aren't as relevant when we have Trump to deal with today.

And that leads into the second part of my post: the quotes are interesting in informing us of mindsets today but time is already washing John Wayne from the face of history. In not long, he'll be a name carved on a wall somewhere no-one cares about.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
The Searchers? When's the last time anyone had a The Searchers conversation? I can't even remember the last time I had a John Wayne conversation.

Which is the point of that first portion of my post. As time moves on so does cultural memory. Movies from 50 years ago aren't as relevant when we have Trump to deal with today.

And that leads into the second part of my post: the quotes are interesting in informing us of mindsets today but time is already washing John Wayne from the face of history. In not long, he'll be a name carved on a wall somewhere no-one cares about.
They stopped showing "The Searchers" in film school/class? It was a movie I had to write a paper on in 2005.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if most white people felt similar around that time. The civil rights act wasn't even 10 years old yet. It's not like all the racists stopped hating black people.

Oct 31, 2017

I watched the Searchers a few months back. It's one of the most important films in it's genre.

DiscoPizza

Oct 25, 2017
I always had a feeling that he was horrible but never paid enough attention to look it up. Not everyone knows everything so the thread whining is beyond obnoxious. How hard is it to scroll past a thread you have no interest in discussing? Or just use the ignore feature.

I've never watched a full movie of his but he seemed to have no range at all and always took jingoistic roles. Maybe he's not mentioned as much anymore but I always remember him considered a Hollywood legend. I didn't know just how awful he was.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WAYNE: I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them, if that's what you're asking. Our so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.

Weird, wild stuff.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the Searchers a few months back. It's one of the most important films in it's genre.
It's a great film that's been highly respected for over half a century, and 50 years from now when most of today's cinema is forgotten it'll still be respected. let's stop pretending like John Wayne is some random footnote in cinema history because he said some bad things 50 years ago as an old man. The very fact that's it's been brought up at all puts pad to that notion.

Oct 31, 2017
It's a great film that's been highly respected for over half a century, and 50 years from now when most of today's cinema is forgotten it'll still be respected. let's stop pretending like John Wayne is some random footnote in cinema history because he said some bad things 50 years ago as an old man. The very fact that's it's been brought up at all puts pad to that notion.

Right, he's an significant figure in American cinema history and that shouldn't mean his words and actions should be swept under the rug or made excuses for

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was an article written discussing the interview in light of todays political climate. There's a lot of interesting ties and lineages in what he said which pertains to what we're dealing with today

Instead. Some no one on twitter, just reposted it for twitter brownie points and now people have to argue why its being brought up now instead of what its about and how it applies to us and is relevant still.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
They stopped showing "The Searchers" in film school/class? It was a movie I had to write a paper on in 2005.

Fair enough, in the specific context of movie history.

How relevant is John Wayne today in a cultural conversation? How many 18 year olds know or care who John Wayne is? Fast forward 20 years. Where will John Wayne be in the cultural consciousness of a teenager from New York? Fast forward 50 years.

Like I said, I think the quotes are interesting. John Wayne may be dead and buried and, soon, forgotten by the vast majority of Americans but how the mindset informs us today is valuable.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so the quote on the thread title says that he believes white should govern until the "blacks" have proven themselves to be capable of governing? or something like that?

i mean, who told hime the "whites" are capable? lol

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Latina.

The guy was a well-known right-wing lunatic and douchebag so this isn't surprising at all.
They are Latina. White Latina's. Not latinx. Don't put labels on people who do not identify as Latinx. It is very disrespectful. Use that to people who identify as Latinx. Seeing people call me that online when they know I'm Latino and identify as such is annoying.
That's my mistake, sorry. I was told by friends to say x if I didn't know what someone prefers to be called by.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yea, this been known about the dude. Nothing new to know. Dude was a racist through and through. But let's chop it up a bit:

"...educated to the point of responsibility."

Ok. Cool. I can work with that. Oh, wait. That's right. Every substantial opportunity "the blacks" have had to obtain education (and thus elevate their socioeconomic status) has been fought on every level by good ole boys like John Wayne. So I don't wanna hear that bullshit from him or anyone the fuck else on the subject till you deal with that.

Motherfuckers killed babies cause they was salty the black man and woman and child demanded equality under the law. Poured acid on black kids rather than share a pool with them. And those few times we did build up our own economy? Well...

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, everyone in my generation knew this already about him. A lot dudes from the first part of the last century had some pretty abhorrent views. (I know this is from 71.. but he's from that generation).

I mean, I don't understand the point of someone making some big deal out of it.. we could play the who was a racist piece of shit from way back when all day every day and not run out of material.

Even the Playboy interviewer basically was calling him out for what he was saying.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A looooong time. Fake ass couldn't even really ride horses.
If you have an issue with actors being illegitimate, I've got bad news about every actor you're about to see paraded about the oscars. Say what you will about John Wayne's views and ideas, most of his films were shot behind studios in Hollywood. Not a ton of space for horses to run around, and how often is he even riding a horse in those movies on screen? He was hired for his face and name. Nothing more. Same exact shit you see in movies today

Like, guess what dude, Denzel Washington probably doesn't know a ton about firearms or law enforcement procedure. What a hack!

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
I mean the Searchers is still hailed as one of the greatest films of all time but go off

So true.

Anytime bad information about musician/actor/artist comes out, or is brought up again people fall over-themselves to point out that "their work was always shit" lol

Is it a coping mechanism so they don't feel like they are missing out when they boycott it? IDK. But you see it all the time.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
What funny seeing on twitter people saying it was 70s everyone was racist!!!!!

Such a shitty poor excuse people have.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if nothing else it's worth examining how Wayne's account of his racism and white supremacy are particularly direct and honest.

The exact nature of his views offer a good explanation for the core of America's justification for its racism. Including, crucially, structural racism. Wayne didn't see racial bias as a matter of fear and hatred, but harsh practicality. White hegemony was a simple and sensible fact of life people ought to come to grips with.

It is important to consider the generation Wayne originated from - his era was what informed the perspective of the people who are today responsible for propping up a racist configuration of society and especially for what is popularly called diet racism - "I'm not racist, I just think Urban Youth outta Stay in School, that's what their trouble is!"

I don't know if that's true. A fairly standard excuse for slavery was paternalism. The stated reason was that Africans were an inferior, uncultured society, and through slavery they'd learn and their culture would be improved. From Robert E. Lee to his wife:

In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence.

Of course, this is the same Robert E. Lee who led a war to keep slavery. He has no actual desire to listen to any orders from a wise merciful providence if they didn't go his way.

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Name one.
And don't you dare say The Searchers.

He was in a lot of classic Westerns besides The Searchers.

Stagecoach
Red River
Rio Bravo
The Man who shot Liberty Valance
The Cowboys
True Grit
Big Jake
McLintock

He was also in a number of war movies, some of which have not aged well, but The Sands of Iwo Jima is still a classic.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's an abundance of blatant racism in the past. Not too surprised at all that he'd say something like this. I would think most people wouldn't have the audacity to say something so dumb these days but I remember that Trump is somehow in office now. Speaking of which,
if the title of this thread replaced "John Wayne" with "Trump", it would be just as believable.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't expect John Wayne to be progressive in any way really. I mean he was John Wayne. It's shocking to see it out in print so blatant, in the 70s no less, but at the same time it's like, what did you expect from John Wayne? I forgot John Wayne existed until this started making the rounds. John Wayne John Wayne. Dude had two first names.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah we have known this for quite a while. Good I guess that others are learning what an awful POS he was.

Oct 28, 2017
MI0002002965.jpg

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
John Wayne is fading from the cultural memory. His movies haven't stood the test of time. No one gives a shit about him now except people over 70 years old. In 50 years he'll be a footnote in movie history.

I do think the quotes are interesting in how they can inform us today, but as for the man, he's dead and buried.
I don't agree, there are a bunch of his movies that do stand the test of time. He may be forgotten but that doesn't mean his movies are still not good.