• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Chapter 3 fine enough, but I wish it had more time to breathe in it. The pace was kind of one speed and monotonous. Made some of the set pieces boring and unnecessary feeling.

Liked the first two more.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JW1 is just a straight forward, tight film. It's a perfect circle, much like the first Raid film. The sequels have higher aspirations, and get weighed down by them, despite the expansion of the plots.
John Wick 1 is still the best, in my opinion. The sequels have much bigger aspirations, but the original is so lean and mean and streamlined that I have to give it top ranking. I don't like how the followups just seem to be getting more and more silly and ridiculous, but they are all really good films.

Didn't see the second one, but caught this one this morning. I liked it well enough, but kind of felt done with it after the Halle Berry fight.
I think the downside to all these films is that after 60+ minutes with the action turned up to 11, you kinda just become numb to it no matter how well-staged the fight scenes are. I just wasn't all the interested in the 2-3 final fights of JW3, and that's not because they are bad but I felt like I had already seen enough. Still though, it's a testament to how great these movies are from the very beginning. Most films start with the action at a 6 and then build to more frenetic scenes at a 10......JW3 starts at a 10 and that is awesome, but it makes the later fights less interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
Just came home from the theater, an absolute great film, but I do think 2 is better.

As for the ending

I think Winston knows what's he's doing. He shot John Fucking Wick after all. And I suspect he will be killed by John in the next one, once he dismantles or at least gives a shake to the High Table, since he know he's probably fucked and will have them on his neck, I don't think they would just say 'oh your forces just killed an entire squad of our own but you killed Wick, no hard feelings there'.

Oct 25, 2017
John Wick 1 is still the best, in my opinion. The sequels have much bigger aspirations, but the original is so lean and mean and streamlined that I have to give it top ranking. I don't like how the followups just seem to be getting more and more silly and ridiculous, but they are all really good films.

I think the downside to all these films is that after 60+ minutes with the action turned up to 11, you kinda just become numb to it no matter how well-staged the fight scenes are. I just wasn't all the interested in the 2-3 final fights of JW3, and that's not because they are bad but I felt like I had already seen enough. Still though, it's a testament to how great these movies are from the very beginning. Most films start with the action at a 6 and then build to more frenetic scenes at a 10......JW3 starts at a 10 and that is awesome, but it makes the later fights less interesting.
I had this issue with 2 and was worried about 3, but JW3 did change the stakes up enough during each fight. Staging act 3 to be a video game seems silly on paper, but the shit worked. Interesting NEW stakes. New enemy type, the heavies requiring take downs we haven't seen. Escalating to showdowns against people who ran through everyone throughout the movie. 3 did a good job of keeping the fights and stakes different each time. But yeah, 1 will probably always be the best, but 3 gives it a run for it's money.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do love the point Double Toasted brought up about the movies

At what point does the Assassin world just say "Leave that mother fucker alone"? He's killed over 400 people alone over the course of a couple weeks and every time they think they've got him he just comes back angrier and more killtastic than before like some kind of Hitman Hulk. Now with the Bowery King, some of Wick's allies, and a rested Wick... I could easily see the next movie having a kill count of well over 200 if they don't just start nuking entire buildings of people in which case we are looking at thousands.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I do love the point Double Toasted brought up about the movies

At what point does the Assassin world just say "Leave that mother fucker alone"? He's killed over 400 people alone over the course of a couple weeks and every time they think they've got him he just comes back angrier and more killtastic than before like some kind of Hitman Hulk. Now with the Bowery King, some of Wick's allies, and a rested Wick... I could easily see the next movie having a kill count of well over 200 if they don't just start nuking entire buildings of people in which case we are looking at thousands.
LOL. Accurate. And I look forward to a well rested and pissed off Wick.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I still love 1 the most but I love how just utterly ridiculous the franchise keeps getting.

The Final Boss for this chapter being a huge Wick fanboy along with the students, nobody batting an eyelid in the station when the ninjas just totally murk two dudes, the comedy moments throughout...

It really is amazing that they've found what feels like a new way to do action-comedy. And the choreographing remains sublime.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
There were multiple times in this film where I stared in awe at how long they'd hold on a sequence just letting Keanu and the stunt men do one shot choreographed fight scenes that got increasingly complex. Each one different in feel and cinematography and aesthetic, containing increasingly unique use of improvised weapons and spatial awareness.

John Wick is a damn fine action film, but man this shit is becoming art at this point.

And honestly, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the ultimate twist and reveal that they're all in The Matrix and this is some weird limbo for Neo after the events of Revolutions.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Hot damn, I just wanted to share an awesome feature on the Google pixel 3a if you turn on the Now playing feature your phone will pick up songs it hears anywhere you are in the back round and keep a record of it.
I was checking it out just now and it showed me exactly what time the movie played
Winter -Antonio Vivaldi when the elite squad of the high table enter the continental.

Great scene

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, we are just thrilled to be able to see what the fuck is going on. So many modern action scenes are shot so up close and with so many cuts. I'm talking to you Nolan and your Batman.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe, we are just thrilled to be able to see what the fuck is going on. So many modern action scenes are shot so up close and with so many cuts. I'm talking to you Nolan and your Batman.

Im too aware if those cuts that it makes movies like a taken and any major battle film unwatchable. It's like watching a competitive cooking show, the cuts and angles are terrible.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I had this issue with 2 and was worried about 3, but JW3 did change the stakes up enough during each fight. Staging act 3 to be a video game seems silly on paper, but the shit worked. Interesting NEW stakes. New enemy type, the heavies requiring take downs we haven't seen. Escalating to showdowns against people who ran through everyone throughout the movie. 3 did a good job of keeping the fights and stakes different each time. But yeah, 1 will probably always be the best, but 3 gives it a run for it's money.
Wick had that passive knockback stat buff going on.
I do think most of the action could of been trimmed, one of the deaths at the horse stable could've been excised completely and would have benefited the scene. So I think it's a combination of quantity and length that leads to fatigue. The first Raid has a similar problem, but it's also a half hour shorter.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing i didnt like was the halle berry john wick action scene. It went on for a few minutes too long. To the point where the same attacks kept repeating themselves.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just came home from the theater, an absolute great film, but I do think 2 is better.

As for the ending

I think Winston knows what's he's doing. He shot John Fucking Wick after all. And I suspect he will be killed by John in the next one, once he dismantles or at least gives a shake to the High Table, since he know he's probably fucked and will have them on his neck, I don't think they would just say 'oh your forces just killed an entire squad of our own but you killed Wick, no hard feelings there'.
Winston is safe from repercussions from the high table. The adjudicator said herself "you were just demonstrating force and strength" and then said John Wick is no longer on the street. She saw winston shoot him multiple times and says "I hope you're right and he is dead otherwise he's coming for us all"

He got Wick off the roof in a painful way to spare his life but knows he'll come for the table soon

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Hot damn, I just wanted to share an awesome feature on the Google pixel 3a if you turn on the Now playing feature your phone will pick up songs it hears anywhere you are in the back round and keep a record of it.
I was checking it out just now and it showed me exactly what time the movie played
Winter -Antonio Vivaldi when the elite squad of the high table enter the continental.

Great scene
That's awesome.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Oh one 'pencil' thing I did notice (probably obvious but still)

They make John take the belt off at the academy, and he demonstrates why later at the tower against the two respectful guys

I was glad the ninjas didn't kill any of the ballerinas

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I definitely noticed way that the enemy designs and action choreography cleverly upped the ante. I really respect how the fillmakers were conscious of action fatigue and worked hard to keep the near-constant gauntlet of battles fresh and inventive.

This series certainly deserves to be considered one of the greatest film trilogies of all time. No major flaws that I can detect. It's quite a feat considering the simple premise at the core: John Wick, elite hitman, comes out of retirement when rivals desecrate the memory of his wife by way of his pup and his car.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
End movie fight.

the belt fight was cool...but isn't as cool since I watched Jet Li do that shit in Fist of Legend back in the 90s. It looked cooler in that movie too lol

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Thought it was entertaining. Might have liked 2 better since I liked the premise a bit more, since I felt like it set the stage for more fun action set pieces.

This had great action, but my one gripe walking away from it, besides the ending being less of a conclusion and more of a tease of a sequel than the last movie, I felt like some of the fight scenes could use more of a story being told through the action. We get it in some action, that usually also is leading from one thing to the next to come up with clever moments, but when it's just a bunch of choreography, some of the gun fights and martial arts fights just felt like they'd go on too long.

Still, it's refreshing to see an action movie like this coming out of Hollywood.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We need a GIF of all the reloading scenes in John Wick Chapter 3. It's very satisfying to watch. It's like Leon S. Kennedy's sniper rifle reloading animation in Resident Evil 4 raised to 100.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Best fight by far imo was
the whole Sofia and her dogs fight, that shit looked insane and so, so cool. I didn't expect the open ending though, for some reason I figured this would be the end of a trilogy.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But we already met the head of the High Table in this
That was the Elder, whom the High Table reports to. Technically you could still have a specific High Table leader who then reports to the Elder.
Yeah, basically what Kalentan said. Sorta kinda like the difference between a President and a CEO, the "head" of the High Table could still have power over the other board members, while still being under the authority of The Elder. Maybe Weaving could be plotting to overthrow The Elder, and John Wick gets to stop the war by killing Weaving and his faction. Just an idea.

YES

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
from the trailer I was a bit dubious about having the dogs involved but they were berserk!

it wasn't as good as the first, everything in that was better, especially the villain but this was solid and I had a great time, mouth open at some of those fight scenes

Plum

May 31, 2018
Really great film but, damn, why the fuck are cinemas so loud nowadays? The scene with the dogs had me literally putting my fingers in my ears because I was getting genuinely uncomfortable (and worried) about the noise. When I go to see Godzilla next month I'll be sure to bring some ear plugs or earphones or something to drown out the noise because holy fuck.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The pacing could have been better in the middle but that's probably my favourite of the 3. It definitely has the best action scenes in terms of creativity and filming.

The small comedy moments throughout the movie were handled pretty well. It very easily could have felt out of place but they made it work. Dacascos just being a fanboy, and The Raid guys being fans was fun. Halle Berry was great as well, and I wish she was more involved.

I'm excited to see what they do with JW4. Feels like that might be a good spot to end it if they're finally dealing with the High Table. Though we'll see. Hopefully they don't push the John vs Winston angle too much. Winston seemed like he was hoping that John would survive, it was just the best way to keep the both of them alive.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this movie. I want to like it a lot, and some of the action shots were great, but I felt like all the action sequences went on for slightly too long. While 2 added just enough mythology and weird, batshit action, I felt like 3 overextended just a tad. It was like how Raid 2 was slightly too long following the tightness of Raid.

I did appreciate the fact that there was a lot more hand-to-hand combat in this one, though.

I think the stupidest part was in the middle of the movie:

The Elder being in the middle of the desert? How does he get information out there and run everything? Is there a wifi hot spot or something?

As much as I'm intrigued by the assassin world mythology of John Wick, I feel like it's gotten overly complicated and video gamey instead of more cohesive with each movie.

I still liked it, but I think I'd rank them 1 > 2 > 3. And 1 and 2 I'd still rewatch as whole movies, but I dunno if I'd rewatch all of 3. Probably rewatch certain action scenes on YouTube when I felt like it.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
He deserves a nice rest.......... anyone agree before JW4
chad-stahelski-analog.jpg

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this movie. I want to like it a lot, and some of the action shots were great, but I felt like all the action sequences went on for slightly too long. While 2 added just enough mythology and weird, batshit action, I felt like 3 overextended just a tad. It was like how Raid 2 was slightly too long following the tightness of Raid.

I did appreciate the fact that there was a lot more hand-to-hand combat in this one, though.

The Elder being in the middle of the desert? How does he get information out there and run everything? Is there a wifi hot spot or something?

As much as I'm intrigued by the assassin world mythology of John Wick, I feel like it's gotten overly complicated and video gamey instead of more cohesive with each movie.

I still liked it, but I think I'd rank them 1 > 2 > 3. And 1 and 2 I'd still rewatch as whole movies, but I dunno if I'd rewatch all of 3. Probably rewatch certain action scenes on YouTube when I felt like it.
I didn't get it either. Like okay, this movie implies that the assassins of this world has its roots in the historical Hashashin. The assassins having respect for a semi-mythical figurehead at least fits in that aspect.

But this Elder guy being the head of the High Table, the "one above the table", doesn't dovetail at all with how the High Table was described in 2. Why would an alliance of international crime organizations (one where Camorra is one of the seats) answer to this one guy? Why is an assassin figurehead the overseer of the High Table? 1 and 2 made it seem like the assassins and the High Table were separate entities. Like freelancers like Perkins and crime organization killers like John had their own community based around the Continental, and then the High Table was a higher authority ruling over all the assassins and crime groups. But not that the assassins had any part in running the High Table.

So this Elder, with ties to the Hashashin, being the one above the Table and deciding the Table's rules, didn't make sense to me

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Movie was spectacular. I marathon'ed JW1 and JW2 beforehand and JW3 easily tops all of them. Although the entire club scene in JW1 is probably still my favorite scene in the series. BUT
The knife fight and Sofia dog fight was fucking FIRE. Holy shit, amazing work.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
my eyes glazed over during some of the fight scenes

the plot seemed meandering and random

overall it was decent

Sense

Oct 25, 2017

I agree with this. Some fights went on a little long and it just became exhausting. I liked the movie overall but yea they were laying it a bit thick with the world building especially the part you spoilered.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised so many people love the dog fight. I thought it was great as it started, but it ran out of gas early on for me since it seemed the gun fighting was pretty standard at times and the stuff that dogs were doing started to get very samey outside a couple fun moments.

I definitely liked the idea of the dogs getting revenge in his series, but after the horse fight was just the right length and filled with clever and brutal choreography, the dog fight was a let down. The knife fight felt like the high point of the movie and it was right at the beginning. Some of the other fights like were doing clever stuff, but they didn't quite get that mix of visceral, clever like they were doing something I had never seen something quite like it, and unpredictable. The book fight was another one that didn't overstay it's welcome and had lots of clever choreography.

I don't really want to be overly harsh on the movie since the action is really done very well, but when that's the bulk of what makes up the movie and you start to see moments that were done better earlier or in previous films, it does start to stick out more. I'm sure they can come up with some clever action and more world building to sustain a sequel, but I think after that, it may be time to call it quits and end on a high note.