• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This was outstanding. I'm not sure how many hyerpbolic (but not really) adjectives I can lob at it. Just an incredible action movie.

For me this franchise has been going on a noticeable upward trend. Each movie is better than the last. Not sure how can they possibly top this one with JW4 but I'm very interested in seeing them try. This is how action movies should be shot and edited. The John Wick movies should literally be used as a teaching tool.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It really can't be said enough how much I loved my audience for this movie. Exclaimed at every moment necessary and was pretty much silent during the story moments. Just enriched an already great movie to see in a big ass screen.
Same here, watched it a few hours ago and people were very much into the film, it made for a great experience. And yeah, people were totally after the knives scene early in the movie, some claps as well lol.

Room was packed and today was opening day, this film will do great.

Last edited:

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
"Hey John, that was a good fight...right?"
"Yeah."

Movie was fucking FUN and Halle Berry's Sofia was great. Her + Wick + Dogs was the BEST

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
He survived, but he's wrecked.
I feel like the biggest problem I have With it is the films always made you feel like John is one shot or stab away from dying, yea he gets run over but it plays out in a way like he knew how to roll with it, there is literally no way he survives that fall even in the John wick universe, it takes me out of it

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it the other night and really enjoyed it. Dumb as hell but a lot of fun.

I did feel the first 40 or so minutes, the entire opening act, was by far the best section of the film. The audience was vocally engaged, laughing and wincing with excitement, which is something I don't see a lot of these days. Everything from the opening until Casablanca had an intoxicating energy. Gorgeously shot with a thrilling momentum thanks to clever editing.

I did feel it lost a bit of momentum after this point. Not terribly, but enough to have the film lose a bit of oomf. I loved Sofia and her dogs, but
the Casablanca action sequence went on a little too long for taste, mainly due to the repeated use of the exact same dog take down over and over. Where the opening succeeded in not just the action choreography, but the insane diversity in scenarios and context, Casablanca was more repetitive and reliant on fewer ideas in a smaller space to really have the same impact.

The final action sequence was also a bit underwhelming, but only the opening because
fighting enemies that are literally bullet sponges is cool in theory but not all that exciting to watch as the weakpoint trick becomes repetitive and limited to how it can be explored. Thankfully this didn't last too long and they opened it up with the AP shotguns and melee stuff.

But yeah, hell of a thrill ride. Just a fantastically exciting, high energy film that knew exactly where its limits were and didn't try to oversell itself. My mate wonderfully summed up the John Wick universe as "Harry Potter, for assassins" and it's so true. It's so silly and outrageous and fantastical yet blended wonderfully with the ultra violence and absurd action.

Good stuff.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I saw the film yesterday and loved it. I do feel the energy sagged slightly in the middle, particularly any scene with the Adjudicator.

the lore is just bullshit but it's very sweet bullshit.

the ending
just being the same thing- set up John Wick against the world

Halle Berry and Mark Dacascos were brilliant. Jerome Flynn, eh

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I feel like the biggest problem I have With it is the films always made you feel like John is one shot or stab away from dying, yea he gets run over but it plays out in a way like he knew how to roll with it, there is literally no way he survives that fall even in the John wick universe, it takes me out of it
I'm sure we have real life scenarios where people survived something like this. He doesn't fall off the building and immediately to the ground. He falls, then slides down and hits two(?) other things on the way down (slightly) slowing down his fall.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I felt like the ending
was done in a way where Winston's betrayal wasn't presented as effectively or shockingly as it should have been. I really thought at first that it was a ruse to try and make the Adjudicator think John was dead and not Winston actually trying to kill him. Mostly because he shot him in the armored suit in what seemed like an intentional manner. Obviously John fell off a building, but that seems like a thing they could've taken the risk of "that probably wouldn't kill John Wick". And then Winstons seemingly feigned ignorance at the body being gone.

So it was a weird process of thinking "oh they are pulling one over on the high table" to "oh wait that was actually Winston turning heel?!" . And I only really got there after the very end scene with Fishburne.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I felt like the ending
was done in a way where Winston's betrayal wasn't presented as effectively or shockingly as it should have been. I really thought at first that it was a ruse to try and make the Adjudicator think John was dead and not Winston actually trying to kill him. Mostly because he shot him in the armored suit in what seemed like an intentional manner. Obviously John fell off a building, but that seems like a thing they could've taken the risk of "that probably wouldn't kill John Wick". And then Winstons seemingly feigned ignorance at the body being gone.

So it was a weird process of thinking "oh they are pulling one over on the high table" to "oh wait that was actually Winston turning heel?!" . And I only really got there after the very end scene with Fishburne.
I'm pretty convinced still Winston made an arrangement with John beforehand. Bowery being there in time to carry him away quickly, Winston feigning ignorance and them being close friends. It had to look real and be brutal to be convincing.

Oct 27, 2017
I felt like the ending

Yeah, I thought the exact same. What the fuck happened?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I thought the exact same. What the fuck happened?
I think it was implying that theres a bigger gambit going on here than just maintaining the Continental. iirc John still has the marker from Winston at the end of 2, right? We never see him use it. And the rules state you can't kill the bearer of your marker so he was probably banking on John surviving

Also
Bronn is the master of coin in EVERY universe, apparently

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
So was Ares in this move? Saw her name looking at the cast but can't recall. The whole Morocco bit reminds me of playing Uncharted for some reason. And the next one need some one like Donnie Yen or another 50+ action star to cameo as an ally

Oct 27, 2017
So was Ares in this move? Saw her name looking at the cast but can't recall. The whole Morocco bit reminds me of playing Uncharted for some reason. And the next one need some one like Donnie Yen or another 50+ action star to cameo as an ally

No. Not sure where she was on a cast list either, but there seemed to be a incorrect rumor that both her and Common were coming back for this movie. She dead.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Will I miss a lot by just watching this one without watching the previous two first?

I mean, this one covers pretty much why everything is happening. But all 3 movies take place over the span of just few weeks movie time; so they really run together has one long story & worth trying to catch up on the first 2 before seeing this one.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
It is the worst of the three, but best in the series with action. Casablanca being the weakest point. The first 40 minutes start you cold and it is just a massive chase sequence while slowly introducing you to more of the story and the repercussions of Wick's actions. Casablanca is the point where the story is now serving the action and the sequences become bloated. And this follows the rest of the film, it's just bloated. The dog kills got old. The armored guard kills got old. Having to do three fights with The Raid team in a row got old. The film honestly had less going for it then 2, which I thought did a much better job keeping it fresh, introducing more of the world, and playing with the villains more. They could have easily shaved 5 to 10 minutes off the flick just with the action and it would have been better.

Now while I'm being down on it, that first 40 minutes was fucking brilliance. Each fight sequence was unique, well executed, and just fun to watch.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more this series tries to make sense of all of its nonsense the worse these films will get.

I think the worldbuilding is shaky as hell. When we're just getting hints of a bigger universe it's cool but once they start fleshing it out and getting into the mechanics of it all it's really weird and messy and hard to track.

This movie's first act is easily the strongest and I think a good argument can be made that the entire film should have just been that first act of him running from one fight to the next. Like a Bruce Lee movie.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This shit was tighttttt, which I was not expecting considering I thought JW2 was a bit of a step down from one.

Still nothing here that touches the initial home invasion or the kaledia pool/club scenes though the knife museum fight, horse bits, and dog takedowns where all hard as bricks.

The ending was a big whatever though. It's basically JW2 again lol

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
I think it was implying that theres a bigger gambit going on here than just maintaining the Continental. iirc John still has the marker from Winston at the end of 2, right? We never see him use it. And the rules state you can't kill the bearer of your marker so he was probably banking on John surviving
I initially had the same question about the marker at the end of JW2 but realized that Winston was just returning the one Santino fingerprinted after John finished his task. Though they never really explained how/why Winston had it?

Oct 28, 2017
The gunplay got boring half way through. Nothing touches them. They walk around, someone pops up, they shoot them instantly. They must have had thousands of bullets shot at them. Not a single mark.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Also, regarding Winston and the ending.

Winston is fucked in JW4. He got cocky and didn't follow the advice he gave D'Antonio in JW2 - "You stabbed the devil in the back"

He didn't tell John about his plan and John surviving that fall was literally a 50/50 chance or even worse, this was what D'Antonio pulled on him in JW2 only even more egregious. Yes, John was going to kill him to ensure his own survival even when Winston had helped him in the past, but he decided not to and then single handedly saved his entire hotel. And then Winston betrayed him. I don't see John being like "ok, we're even now", Winston is fucking dead and the only reason he thinks he isn't is because he's arrogant.

I guess the thing that annoys me is that the high table can't be so dumb that Wick didn't get away without Winston planning it, right? I suppose I can satisfy myself by the idea that they don't want to rock the boat after the massacre so they let it slide, but c'mon, if Wick's on the loose surely they should be freaking out majorly.

The High Table doesn't take John seriously. The adjudicator was just like "whatever, we can send a hundred more waves of those armored guys at you", he's just an inconvinience for them and they still feel like if they really wanted to they could kill him quickly. This is all building up to a scene like at the end of Matrix 1 where the unshakable agents who thought Neo was nothing end up getting completely shook. It's going to be fucking glorious and if Hugo Weaving isn't one of the elite table members they fucked up.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018

Winston is fucked in JW4. He got cocky and didn't follow the advice he gave D'Antonio in JW2 - "You stabbed the devil in the back"

He didn't tell John about his plan and John surviving that fall was literally a 50/50 chance or even worse, this was what D'Antonio pulled on him in JW2 only even more egregious. Yes, John was going to kill him to ensure his own survival even when Winston had helped him in the past, but he decided not to and then single handedly saved his entire hotel. And then Winston betrayed him. I don't see John being like "ok, we're even now", Winston is fucking dead and the only reason he thinks he isn't is because he's arrogant.

The High Table doesn't take John seriously. The adjudicator was just like "whatever, we can send a hundred more waves of those armored guys at you", he's just an inconvinience for them and they still feel like if they really wanted to they could kill him quickly. This is all building up to a scene like at the end of Matrix 1 where the unshakable agents who thought Neo was nothing end up getting completely shook. It's going to be fucking glorious and if Hugo Weaving isn't one of the elite table members they fucked up.

Flip it around -- Hugo Weaving will be the cool guy who helps out, Carrie-Anne Moss the big bad

well, the baddie right under the dude chilling in the desert -- keanu still has to get his wedding ring back

Last edited:

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
The gunplay got boring half way through. Nothing touches them. They walk around, someone pops up, they shoot them instantly. They must have had thousands of bullets shot at them. Not a single mark.

i saw it last night and i think i agree... i don 't want to, but being perfectly honest with myself, i do

three films in and i just feel that the immortality angle of it is wearing a bit thin. it got to the point that during the main shoot out i wasn't thinking 'wow, they nearly got hit there' or 'blimey they've taken one in the leg how are they going to get out of here'... i'm more watching it thinking about how it was planned, rehearsed, and executed. so i'm concentrating more on its technical proficiency rather than the moment to moment high stakes of the narrative

again, i don't want to think like this, but it has started to take over my viewing experience of the john wick series

still thoroughly thoroughly thoroughly enjoyed it though...

May 26, 2018
I legit think there's someone above the desert guy.

"You think killing me will put an end to it all? There's someone even I report to!"

"Bullshit!"

"Deny the truth all you want! Contact The One Above The One Above All!"

A drone appears, carrying an iPad. It FaceTimes, revealing an ominous face.

"Hello, John. I am The Architect. I created the High Table."

"Not this shit again!"

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
All I could think of when John was fighting the armored guys was that he was at the final stages of the game where the enemies have bullshit extra armor and take like 1000 shots to kill, hahaha. Great movie.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Saw it last night and holy shit, what an awesome action movie. For me it tops the first 2, when it comes to action, they did a great job putting all the action scenes together.

If I had one complaint, I'd say it's slightly too long, they probably could have trimmed it down a little but it's a minor thing when the action is this good.

It was giving me The Raid 2 vibes in places. I really loved the knife fight scene, that was brutal and the gun fight, with the dogs helping out, is bloody brilliant.

Best action movie I've seen in ages. Bring on JW 4. :)

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There is one difference though.
At the end of 2 John was on the defense. Now he will most likely offensively attack the high table lol

I mean he does get shot repeatedly but Wick cheats with his bulletproof jacket lol

He didn't tell John about his plan and John surviving that fall was literally a 50/50 chance or even worse, this was what D'Antonio pulled on him in JW2 only even more egregious. Yes, John was going to kill him to ensure his own survival even when Winston had helped him in the past, but he decided not to and then single handedly saved his entire hotel. And then Winston betrayed him. I don't see John being like "ok, we're even now", Winston is fucking dead
You really think Winston was playing it straight and wanted to kill John? He didn't aim for the head, conveniently send him over the roof out of view and didn't check for his body. Nor did he act particularly concerned when learning he survived. Could be massive arrogance, but it kinda seems out of character. I hope they will all team up against the High Table. Don't want John to fight Lance Reddick :/

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
You really think Winston was playing it straight and wanted to kill John? He didn't aim for the head, conveniently send him over the roof out of view and didn't check for his body. Nor did he act particularly concerned when learning he survived. Could be massive arrogance, but it kinda seems out of character. I hope they will all team up against the High Table. Don't want John to fight Lance Reddick :/

I don't think he wanted to kill him, but he still threw him off the building. I guess he might be able to talk his way out of John killing him, but I dunno.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

Not really. He was basically on the run the entire time in JW3 and it ends with him finally in a relatively safe haven with Fishburne's entire network on his side. He'll actually be able to rest and recover while Bowery King and Winston are on good terms with the high table, both plotting their next moves. John will be driving the action for the first time since JW1 in 4, in 2 he was forced into doing a job and from the minute he was attacked in the tunnel to the end of 3 he was just in survival mode.

Oct 25, 2017
I legit think there's someone above the desert guy.

I wouldn't be shocked.

I'm really hoping they don't pull something like 'Winston was actually behind his dog getting killed to get Wick onto the field' as the big reveal in 4, but I can't help but feel there's something building there.

There is one difference though.
At the end of 2 John was on the defense. Now he will most likely offensively attack the high table lol

I mean he does get shot repeatedly but Wick cheats with his bulletproof jacket lol

Would be good to see him on the front foot again. I can envision the next movie being John getting the gang together (Common, Halle Berry, the Raid guys, and some newcomers) for a fight, which only gets finished in JW 5.

I could definitely see a Reddick fight if Winston does go full heel. Wick's Dog being present for it as well.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Would be good to see him on the front foot again. I can envision the next movie being John getting the gang together (Common, Halle Berry, the Raid guys, and some newcomers) for a fight, which only gets finished in JW 5.

I could definitely see a Reddick fight if Winston does go full heel. Wick's Dog being present for it as well.
That would crush me, but I can see it.

Yeah since 2 it feels like John leaves some people behind alive who also have good reason to be pissed at the whole institution so I can see Common returning in the next one

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
As a few of you have already said I felt it sagged a bit in the middle, but I still had a great time with it. They've managed to one-up themselves with each film. So many memorable action scenes.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the most accurate Metal Gear Solid/Hitman (moreso Hitman, especially the temple/initiation ceremony infiltration scene in JW2) adaptation I have ever seen. What a hell of a ride all three have been for me this week, seeing them all for the first time.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Man, I did not like this movie like I thought I would. The sound design sucked, the actions sequences weren't interesting, and there was so much unnecessary stuff in the middle. I will say that the hook at the end setting up JW4 has me more interested in watching the sequel than anything else in JW3.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Man, I did not like this movie like I thought I would. The sound design sucked, the actions sequences weren't interesting, and there was so much unnecessary stuff in the middle. I will say that the hook at the end setting up JW4 has me more interested in watching the sequel than anything else in JW3.
The sound design did not suck. You are wrong about that. Whatever theater you saw it in must suck, or your ears do.