John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum |OT| Si vis pacem, parabellum (Use Spoiler Tags)

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
gonna watch this with my bro in a few hours
hype!
love john wick series really really much, been waiting for this day for a long time

NotoriousPUG

Oct 27, 2017
I think the fights at the start of the film are better than the ending ones, for me the most brutal thing in the film was
John getting the horses to kick people. The sound was so powerful I could feel it.
The biggest issue with those was how bad they looked. The two times it happened looked almost laughingly bad. Hopefully they find a way to clean that up a bit before home release.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm in the minority. Didn't really care about JW1 that much, and watched 2/3 back to back with some friends last night, and fell asleep throughout portions of 3.. Terrible movies.

denx

Oct 27, 2017
JE3 was pretty damn fun, but it def feels like a movie that's building up towards something greater. I'm not sure it can sustain that momemtum into a fourth movie tho. The first two acts of the movie were awesome but the movie started feeling exhausting in the third act. It kinda went on for too long and it makes me wonder just how longer they can stretch this premise.

The action setpieces can't be denied tho, they are spectacular. I was also lucky I had a good crowd that had fun reactions to some of John Wick's most ridiculous fatalities.
The book kill actually got applause from some people in the audience lol.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished....
Shame but gonna have to say that this is imo weaker than jw2
It had an incredible start with Ernest in the library and the Chinese guys with Tiger Chen (I gotta check the censored part, in Indonesia showing Tiger suddenly is already dead after a scuttle)
The Morocco gun battle dragged a few minutes too long
Motorcycle part is kinda whatever
The beginning of the raid guys fight was amazing, but then suddenly somehow John started winning and that was kinda lame
Dagascos fight was also whatever, he was supposed to be the master of all these assassins and he ended up not much different
How the fuck did John survive there at the end, that was kinda lame as well
Overall I wanna say 7.5/10, maybe 8 if I'm feeling generous

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping JW4 is a bit different with the approach.
John Wick vs the world is great and all, but how hype would it be to be Avengers-esque and bring back a bunch of the people he has spared and helped?

Common, Ruby Rose, Halle Berry, and the Raid guys all show up ready to help Wick take out the High Table. Halle already has the motivation, they are going to want her dead after what she did. The others would just do it out of loyalty/respect for Wick letting them live.

Wick is obviously going to go after the Elder so he can get his ring back. He wont be able to do that alone.

Sure, the Morocco fight went on a bit too long, but it was great seeing a tag team fight. More of those, please.

Stabbie

May 8, 2019
I thought all the hand to hand stuff in the movie was actually not remarkable at all, and the finale / interest over time suffered for it. Which is a shame because the gun / blade action was nice, but yeah it was kinda painfully obvious that most fights were choreographed

Birdseye

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought all the hand to hand stuff in the movie was actually not remarkable at all, and the finale / interest over time suffered for it. Which is a shame because the gun / blade action was nice, but yeah it was kinda painfully obvious that most fights were choreographed
Well, there was literally an entire scene in a ballet theater. The metaphor was right under our nose

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding the ending...

After Winston shot Wick off the roof and after the Adjudicator stopped before getting in the car, Winston and Charon are talking before the Adjudicator walks up to them and tells them that Wick's body is gone. I didn't clearly hear what they were saying but I felt they were discussing when they'll see Wick again, was I correct? If so, that kinda kills the idea of Winston's heel turn if they're expecting to see him again, meaning it was likely planned.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the ending...

After Winston shot Wick off the roof and after the Adjudicator stopped before getting in the car, Winston and Charon are talking before the Adjudicator walks up to them and tells them that Wick's body is gone. I didn't clearly hear what they were saying but I felt they were discussing when they'll see Wick again, was I correct? If so, that kinda kills the idea of Winston's heel turn if they're expecting to see him again, meaning it was likely planned.
I think their conversation was about how long it was going to take to get The Continental running again and not about Mr. Wick

Oct 27, 2017
Torrance
All I could think of when John was fighting the armored guys was that he was at the final stages of the game where the enemies have bullshit extra armor and take like 1000 shots to kill, hahaha. Great movie.
I was thinking the same thing! They definitely felt like final stage people!

Random Thoughts:
  1. I wish Mark Dacascos had lived. Would've been a nice ally/enemy in later movies.
  2. Going by the movie's logic, Halle Berry is toast. You help John Wick and you're not a boss, you die. Halle's dope, but not able to survive elite high table dope.
  3. The lore in this movie is dumb fun. It can't collapse upon itself because the world is so absurd. REAL people in the world don't even react to the action. Ever. It's an absurd world of assassins. Or Hasshshins. Or Baba Yagga or whatever.
  4. Fights begin recycling. Horse back fight is the same as the motorcycle fight.
  5. Great attention to detail with Halle Berry's skill level. Interestingly, at semi close range, Halle is more likely to miss her shot which forces her to rely on the dogs. She's 100 % at long range and right around mid/close range she misses most of the time. At that point, it's Dog time. At point blank skin-to-skin range, she's back to 100%. Thought that was a dope detail. John doesn't miss ever unless something physically moves his gun and interrupts.
  6. I wish John had a weakness/deficiency. He knows every martial art style and every weapon and can recover from every physical pounding. Would've been great if Dacoscos had a 'skill' that made him advantageously unique. Nope. John sees it and can mimic it and BETTER it mid fight. Meh.
  7. Who trusts Swearegen? Ever? That's what you get!
Fun movie, though. Don't need another Wick movie for a few years. Like someone above said, you're not so much into the drama of the fights as much as into the technical aspects of how they were executed. In that way, they'll need time to come up with more creative ways to fill up 2 hours without recycling.

Hope so.

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back and this managed to top the second one for me.

His legendary reputation literally saved him or gave him a chance with the raid guys.

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it but it feels like nothing of note happened in the movie? Like you could just show me John Wick 4 instead of this and tell me its 3.

The only thing that changed was that Ian Mcshane betrayed him. Otherwise this entire film was for nothing?

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed it but it feels like nothing of note happened in the movie? Like you could just show me John Wick 4 instead of this and tell me its 3.

The only thing that changed was that Ian Mcshane betrayed him. Otherwise this entire film was for nothing?
Did he betray him? I thought he knew he wasn’t killing him when he shot him? I definitely agree that not much happened though. Everyone of consequence is still alive for part 4.

ninhead

Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Did he betray him? I thought he knew he wasn’t killing him when he shot him? I definitely agree that not much happened though. Everyone of consequence is still alive for part 4.
I really don't think he did. I feel like the movement was so quick that the Adjudicator would think they were legit, but that Winston was definitely aiming for the suit. It's meant to put the NY Continental back to being legit, and then Winston can help Wick take down the High Table.