• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Not honoring the marker basically amounts to the same end result pretty much. The only difference is John's honor. As seen in 3 he has markers himself, e.g. from Halle Berry. So the code and his personal honor kinda demand him to go through with it to make up his debt to Santino. Same reason Halle Berry goes through with it despite signing her death sentence in the process. Refusing is pretty much a grave insult beyond the regular consequences.

Plus John did try to sneak out after the kill and in his mind there was probably a small hope Santino would let it go and frame someone else. But Cassian caught him and deduced what he was there for and then his cover was fully blown besides Santino planning to kill him anyway.

Killing a member of the high table is pretty much game over regardless of motivation. Refusing a marker is game over. But one choice preserved John's sense of honour
What bugs me about this: why wasn't Santino marked for putting out a hit on a member of the High Table??

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got to see this and I loved it. Great stuff all around and so damn stylish! Felt a lot more brutal/graphic than the other two films lol

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this. Fucking fun AF.

loved the asian sushi chef and the two indonesia fighting knife guys. No shaky cam and clear concise very chereographed fights. Excellent.

Very fun. I've seen so many shitty movies of late and this was like a breath of fresh air.

If you haven't seen this. Go watch it
Then you need to watch The Raid 1 & 2.
One of the those guys is the henchmen of the bad guy, It's 99% hand to hand fighting but the choreography is even better than John Wick.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first John Wick for the first time last week. Watched #2 earlier today and then went to the movies to see #3 right afterward.

Honestly the first movie was so razor focused and satisfyingly self contained that I would have been happy if it just ended there. I thought that sequels would inevitably drag out and stretch what was a good ending. And that's turned out to be true. Neither of the sequels are as tight nor do they even really have proper endings themselves. And they're a lot sillier. The first movie is better standalone, imagining that John's fight ended with his victory there.
But the sequels are such fun that, while acknowledging that, I'm still going along for the ride until the final chapter. Hopefully they know how and when to end it.

They really ramped up the wildness of the fight scenes in this one. All kinds of crazy shit.
I wasn't really buying Halle's character though her dogs were awesome.
They got a little funnier in this one too, but not enough to be disruptive.
A portion in the middle dragged a little where the plot wandered a little too vaguely.

Since I watched 2 & 3 in the same day it feels like they were one long movie. If I had to rate the series it would be 1>>>3>2.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wick 3 is out today on digital and watched it for the first time goddamn. That was a hell of a movie. They somehow keep escalating things and making me even more excited.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Unpopular opinion, but I can't help it. I cannot believe how bad this movie is. I really, REALLY want to like it, but sheesh. It's bad, and even worse - it's pretty boring for the most part.

A lot of the action is very well done, and some choreography is straight up amazing. Action feels way more brutal than in previous movies. Movie is pretty stylish, too. But not on par with the first two.

Story, lore, and world building is what I have issues with.

You know how in the first John Wick the movie lifts a veil and you see this whole new world. A world of assassins and the Continental and the principle rules. It was all somewhat within the realm of believability, but with a wink. It made sense and it followed its own rules. And it was focussed.

John Wick 2 expanded on this. But already took it too far for my liking. Everything was turning into saturday morning cartoon levels of craziness. Suits that stop bullets, John Wick taking multiple shot and stab wounds and still going strong, people getting brutally executed by Wick in public and no bystander being even remotely phased by it.. Everyone and their mom secretly being an assassin. Everything just felt silly. The "walk through the subway while we shoot suppressed shots at each other and no one else notices this" bit takes the cake in this regard.

But John Wick 3 takes all that and says "fuck it, let's make it 400% more absurd". John Wick gets hit by a car at least 3 times in the first 10 minutes and just shrugs it off. Suffers massive injuries to apparantly to real trouble. Everything wih the Table and the Elder was just utterly absurd. "you walk through the desert while you follow this star and magically the Elder will apear", are you serious? And then Wick turns up there and he has a tailor-made suit for him. Right there in the middle of the Morrocan desert.
The Japanese/Indonesian hitsquad with the bald guy going from ultra-serious to super goofy all the time. The throwing knife sequence. Everything with the Adjudicator was terrible, and she herself was terrible as well. It is way, way beyond the suspension of disbelief.

The movie puts up narrative boundaries but constantly keeps moving them around.

John Wick 3 is straight up a videogame turned into a movie. Including boss fights in the end.

But mad, mad props to Keanu for the insane moves. Especially the hand-to-hand combat was nothing short of incredible.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Unpopular opinion, but I can't help it. I cannot believe how bad this movie is. I really, REALLY want to like it, but sheesh. It's bad, and even worse - it's pretty boring for the most part.

A lot of the action is very well done, and some choreography is straight up amazing. Action feels way more brutal than in previous movies. Movie is pretty stylish, too. But not on par with the first two.

You know how in the first John Wick the movie lifts a veil and you see this whole new world. A world of assassins and the Continental and the principle rules. It was all somewhat within the realm of believability, but with a wink. It made sense and it followed its own rules. And it was focussed.

John Wick 2 expanded on this. But already took it too far for my liking. Everything was turning into saturday morning cartoon levels of craziness. Suits that stop bullets, John Wick taking multiple shot and stab wounds and still going strong, people getting brutally executed by Wick in public and no bystander being even remotely phased by it.. Everyone and their mom secretly being an assassin. Everything just felt silly. The "walk through the subway while we shoot suppressed shots at each other and no one else notices this" bit takes the cake in this regard.

But John Wick 3 takes all that and says "fuck it, let's make it 400% more absurd". John Wick gets hit by a car at least 3 times in the first 10 minutes and just shrugs it off. Suffers massive injuries to apparantly to real trouble. Everything wih the Table and the Elder was just utterly absurd. "you walk through the desert while you follow this star and magically the Elder will apear", are you serious? And then Wick turns up there and he has a tailor-made suit for him. Right there in the middle of the Morrocan desert.
The Japanese/Indonesian hitsquad with the bald guy going from ultra-serious to super goofy all the time. The throwing knife sequence. Everything with the Adjudicator was terrible, and she herself was terrible as well. It is way, way beyond the suspension of disbelief.

John Wick 3 is straight up a videogame turned into a movie. Including boss fights in the end.

But mad, mad props to Keanu for the insane moves. Especially the hand-to-hand combat was nothing short of incredible.

I thought 2 did the best job of satirizing action movies while also being self-aware enough that it doesn't push itself too far into falling victim to its own parody. It's the best of them all to me.

As decent as 3 was, like you said it just goes way too far. Where John wick 1 and 2 respect the viewer to pick up on the visual and narrative cues to be in on the joke but not completely on the nose, 3 is about as subtle as a sledgehammer. John getting hit by the cars multiple times is an example of this. We've already seen how ridiculous it is that he gets by cars and gets up in the first two but they're super blatant about it at this point.

The finale, while being supremely choreographed just like the rest of the well done action scenes, is another example of this. It's borderline 4th wall breaking when the bald assassin and his cronies are pledging their love for John Wick and it becomes a level WWE exhibition in goofiness.

It's not bad but it's far and away the weakest of the series. I caught myself rolling my eyes in the theater at the direction the series is going in. I think it already jumped the shark with 3 so who know how it's gonna be with 4. Do we need a John wick 4?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished 3 and I think I am going the Highlander route and pretending there was only one movie.

The first was just so amazing, these sequels are just too goofy. Wick is pretty much a Captain America like super human.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it, in HDR so good. I think it's definitely my favorite of the three, the visuals were just continuously stunning. One of the best looking movies I've ever seen. It deserves an Oscar nom for cinematography at least.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Agree with the last couple longer posts. While action is good and choregraphed, they went over the cliff the story and some scenes in JW3 (already in JW2). And Wtf was the Elder... really weak. Some rando middle aged guy in the desert.

JW 1 was the perfect balance between (rudiment) world building, story and action.

JW1 >>>>>> JW3>JW2 (or JW2 and 3 on the same hight).

Still very much entertaining but a lot of lost potential.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I'm in the minority here, based on the posts I've read, but I got really bored during the fight with special guest star Halle Berry. The dogs were cool, but it got so damned repetitive.

(cut to John Wick) Head shot, head shot, fight off guy with knife, headshot
(cut to Halle Berry) Head shot, head shot, fight off guy with knife, headshot, sick dog on someone
(cut to Halle Berry) Head shot, head shot, fight off guy with knife, headshot, sick dog on someone

I know you can break down all fight scenes in every movie like that if you wanted to, but it was very apparent in that one.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched it over the weekend, and I fucking LOVED it. Best John Wick movie yet. The action was just so fucking fluid and over-the-top and satisfying. So goddamn good.

Don't give a shit that it was unrealistic. ALL the John Wicks were unrealistic as hell. They're just fun.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I'm actually in the middle of watching this for the first time right now, and so far my biggest takeaway is that those dogs must have serious hearing loss what with their apparantly being super cool with so many gunshots going off next their goddamn faces.

Oct 29, 2017
Watched this tonight and oof... this was a let down. It felt like the choreography was meant to be quick and flashy but everything after the opening felt noticeably slow and the actors were obviously waiting between strikes. I didn't like how many bad guys they were throwing at Wick every fight since most of it was hand to hand. It just felt way over the top and almost every fight overstays its welcome. All the new characters sucked. LITERALLY all of them, and the acting was poor too. The audio was so busy in this one that it turned into mush at points. The story is nonsensical on a level far beyond 1 & 2. The set pieces were much less interesting than the ones in 2 in my opinion. Overall I'm pretty disappointed, but the opening section was hype so at least it was worth the watch.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Weakest one I thought. It's get's too much, almost to a goofy kind of level with the action. And yes, Keanu should be proud of what he can achieve at his age, but the fighting scenes are way too slow in many scenes which makes it really standout and look bad unfortunately.The villains were weak, Mark Dacascos degraded to a goofball as well, nothing menacing about him as the villain. The rest of the cast felt just like walking around trying to look like badasses, cool and menacing as they can be, but achieved the opposite effect. Lawrence Fishburne sticked out as the worst offender with the bad acting. Loved Halle Berry though! Go with a spinoff with her character.

My rating is a weak 2 out of 5.

Make the next one the last and more grounded with the action like in the first one.

Neolombax

Nov 28, 2018
Its a good action movie, but the first movie is still my favorite. The action scenes became more and lasted longer with every sequel, to the point it becomes tiresome to watch. Also, was not a fan of the bald japanese guy and his sudden change in personality.

Jul 18, 2018
Just finished watching this movie on digital, its a 2K scan up-scaled to 4K but on Dolby Vision the flick was noticeably better than switching to HDR10.
I enjoyed this movie when i'm just taking this face value as an action flick that isn't grounded in reality because boy does this one get absurd and corny.

The set pieces were nice since it jumped around a lot and the sequence with the dogs, bike and hand to hand was fresh. The number of scenes with just absurd video game like heads getting blown up (shotgun, knives, axes, etc) was entertaining because it kept you invested.

BUT the movie felt very long, and the fact that some scenes are just him doing the same type of headshot, headshot, headshot, take cover, pop up headshot headshot, over various scenes made it just feel like it was slow and long. I think they could have gotten rid of plenty of scenes but wanted to just keep the death count racking up.

I hope the next one keeps scenes more varied. But man the dog sequence was such a nice touch, really like it all. Makes it a much modern take on action flicks and man i just want a body armor suit for a dog now.

Oct 27, 2017

I watched JW3 yesterday and I pretty much agree with all of this. In terms of filmmaking and choreography it's excellent, but I found the action too ridiculous and unbelievable. John is unkillable. He's someone playing with god mode and an aimbot the whole time. And luckily for him that everyone is happy to run up close so that he can do a grabby spin move and then shoot them in the head. The best part of the movie was probably the knife fight near the beginning because it actually had a bit of humour and felt messy and improvised. I mean, everything is really slick and well-produced, but there's only so many times I can watch John effortlessly headshot someone before getting bored, and I really don't think the building of scale and worldbuilding does the action any good. Part of what I liked about the first film so much was the smaller scale, but here you've got people being murdered in broad daylight in NYC and pedestrians don't even flinch. And I like it how on two different occasions assassins show up on motorbikes so John can kill them immediately and steal their bike. It's just extreme levels of absurdity and I didn't like how OTT it got.

A minor detail that really annoyed me: as they're preparing for the High Table forces to storm The Continental near the end Zavala tells John that they've upgraded armour & tech a lot since he was in the business, but all of them including Zavala still only take small pistols into the fight. If they had taken high-calibre armour-piercing shotguns from the beginning then all of his guys probably wouldn't have died immediately.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Great film, but John Wick is cheating. Infinite Health, Infinite Stamina at the very least.

Seriously, what the hell? This is more like a horror film that you follow the monster than an action film at this point. Which I suppose kind makes sense with the Baba Yaga stuff. Reminds me of the The Guest.

lucas_hood

Mar 20, 2018
I love this movie. Wick really needs someone to heat him thougj because his only real threats were common , from part 2. Bring on part 4!! Winston is going down ...

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Bought this when it came out and have to admit I think it's the weakest of the series. You can't fault the action but in an odd way it's kind of like a reverse Matrix trilogy. In that series they doubled down on the mysticism after the first film but in this series they've make everything absurd as a means to justify the action scenes.

As others have said, the big action scene with Halle Berry just ended up getting boring before the end as it was just move, headshot, move headshot, dog, rinse and repeat.

Plus, as for the ending....

I'm sorry but no-one on this planet would survive that fall.

The series is inherently ridiculous and all the more enjoyable for it but at least in the first two movies there was an attempt of keeping a very loose sense of reality about the character. In this one though he's pretty much a Terminator that soaks up damage that'd kill anyone with little impact beyond a slight limp before regaining full health for the next fight scene.

As a caveat I have only seen the film once so reserve the right to change my opinion upon another viewing.