• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 12, 2018
It's the best in the trilogy just on a film making level alone. Takes the absurd escalation that occurs halfway through the second film and runs wild with it for 2 hours. So good.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After watching the movie I only have two questions

1. Why don't assassins start investing in groin protection?

2. Not actually a question, but if John ends up assuming Winston broke bad and Chapter 4 involves John going after him, I'm going to laugh at John being motivated in part by a misunderstanding.

Anyway, I liked it much better than 2. I can't tell if I like it more than 1 yet, but that's because that movie felt like it was made on a completely different plane than the two recent movies were.

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing. Incredible cinematography, amazing action and it fleshes out the JW universe in interesting new ways.
Series is 3 for 3 as far as I'm concerned.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to see it today but rather seeing it tomorrow. I let the last 2 pass in theaters and won't let this one!

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
In the name of everything that is holy, why in the world are the John Wick films not on Movies Anywhere? I have to actually choose which retailer to go with? Luckily, it's the same price everywhere, so Vudu for Dolby Vision it is, but I would've like to use the Google Play credit that I have instead.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I do have an actual question

why is everyone here operating under the assumption that Winston betrayed Wick? It seems extremely obvious that Winston tried to barter in a way that was benefitial for the both of them (hence Charon's "well played sir"). He gets to maintain Continental while Wick gets to live, it was the only way for him to get on the Adjudicator's good graces. Yes it's more likely than not that Winston will lose out if Wick is successful in tearing down the system but I'm pretty sure he's well cognizant of the fact that John isn't gonna stop at anything to make up for being wronged.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

why is everyone here operating under the assumption that Winston betrayed Wick? It seems extremely obvious that Winston tried to barter in a way that was benefitial for the both of them (hence the "well played sir"). He gets to maintain Continental while Wick gets to live, it was the only way for him to get on the Adjudicator's good graces. Yes it's more likely than not that Winston will lose out if Wick is successful in tearing down the system but I'm pretty sure he's well cognizant of the fact that John isn't gonna stop at anything to make up for being wronged.

My spoilers didn't work first time

I think
That Winston is gonna get on Wick taking out the High Table. And by putting distance between them, he'll be promoted to head of the pack. A great game!

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales

why is everyone here operating under the assumption that Winston betrayed Wick? It seems extremely obvious that Winston tried to barter in a way that was benefitial for the both of them (hence Charon's "well played sir"). He gets to maintain Continental while Wick gets to live, it was the only way for him to get on the Adjudicator's good graces. Yes it's more likely than not that Winston will lose out if Wick is successful in tearing down the system but I'm pretty sure he's well cognizant of the fact that John isn't gonna stop at anything to make up for being wronged.

Yeah I agree with this. I think Winston was ultimately looking out for himself first as he always would, but he wasn't trying to kill John either - just get him off the roof and have plausible deniability when he escapes. If the next film has John just trying to kill Winston, that'd be pretty dumb IMO.

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
Just watched it. It was fucking amazing.
Last time I had such an adrenaline rush like this was in Mad Max Fury Road.

Everything was beyond good, the fights, the cinematography Halle Berry's performance and the incorporation of the dogs into the action scenes.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
My problem with Villainess is that the camerawork is too kinetic. It's the same issue as choppy editing, but the other side of the spectrum. Makes the action difficult and muddled to follow, the camera rarely stops moving in a handheld style that seems at odds with the action

Like the best moments in this clip are when the camera stops and let moments just happen instead of swinging around frenetically

The Villainess is a movie with great action scenes tied with a dogshit story and some shaky-ass camera, which is why John Wick succeeds so much for my personal taste. John Wick has tension and knows where & when to hold the camera.

Only action movie I've seen with kinetic camerawork that actually works and strengthens the action is Mad Max Fury Road

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I enjoyed this film a lot, but boy did I feel uncomfortable regarding
the treatment of animals. Some of the horses looked pretty freaked out and were those dogs CGI? They looked pretty real and training dogs to attack humans just feels problematic. Like, you're untraining that afterwards?

I'm certain I'm overthinking it, but it was distracting my mind in places.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was the meaning behind the
Hammer versus the chisel? It was almost framed like his finger versus some other part

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
In the name of everything that is holy, why in the world are the John Wick films not on Movies Anywhere? I have to actually choose which retailer to go with? Luckily, it's the same price everywhere, so Vudu for Dolby Vision it is, but I would've like to use the Google Play credit that I have instead.

Lionsgate and Paramount are the two studios that haven't joined Movies Anywhere

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Saw it yesterday and this series consists of three great films so far. The cinematography and action scenes were once again on point and there was a lot of lore added to the assassin world in the John Wick universe. Some of the action scenes were the best in the series so far.

There was one really dumb scene though. Two people were killed in one of the most crowded places in the world and nobody seemes to care. Like wtf?!

Last edited:

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Of course the action is amazing but glad to hear that it seems to do interesting things with the lore, rewatching 1 and especially 2 reminded me how much I love the little world they've built around the Continental, can't wait to see where they go with it here.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
No spoilers, but does this movie tease or set anything up for the upcoming Continental tv series?

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I saw it just a couple hours ago. We got ourselves a solid trilogy boys! I really love the way these films are made; Long shots, brutal action, just the right amount of humour. Yeah!

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
Awesome movie, best of the 3 for sure. Ending spoilers below
I don't think Winston betrayed John, he expected him to live, I think he saw that there was no other way around it.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These movies have gotten a bit too ridiculous for me. The first one is still the best.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha. Film went all in and I love it. Less gun-fu than the previous film but for the better I feel. Hand to hand combat was definitely more exciting.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well they did it. This is the greatest action movie of all time. This replaces Fury Road for me. You could feel every punch. The sound was booming. So epic.

John Wick <3

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Meandered every now and then but damn what a fucking ride. Entire audience was having a ball. Saw it in 4dx and it was a fucking hoot.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Well they did it. This is the greatest action movie of all time. This replaces Fury Road for me. You could feel every punch. The sound was booming. So epic.

John Wick <3
If this can top Fury Road and The Raid for me, I'll be very pleased. Chapter 2 is already in my top ten of all time, so Wick is almost there. Can't wait to see it tomorrow

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
This was easily the weakest for me. The bigger these movies get in scale and creep into the whole assassin universe, the more they show their hand and just how empty they are after the bullets and knives stop flying.

The action felt slower and clumsier to me than the other two (attack doggos notwithstanding), with a lot of the choreography just feeling like retreads of the prior movies, and the plot was more threadbare than ever. The whole final sequence with the asian assassins in the mirror maze (who keeps a mirror maze in their work office?) was cringe-inducing and ended so awkwardly.

Not to mention the sequel bait ending, which was just a weaker version of the second's.

Im fairly disappointed overall.

SquareFenix

Oct 25, 2017
At the theatre right now for a 10:30 showing. Can't wait! All the impressions in this thread have me so hyped- especially the ones saying it tops Fury Road, as that was the last film I saw that really made me feel adrenaline leaving the theater.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that was one of the best action movies I've ever seen.

Stahelski's Highlander movie/TV show/whatever is sure going to be something.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it felt about 20 minutes too long. The action was great but we didn't need as much as we got.

Still probably the best in the series.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first film was VHS schlock

The second film went full comic book

This movie was the world's most violent Saturday morning cartoon

I loved it.

Edit: in case I wasn't clear, all of those things are good things. The escalation of this franchise is wonderful

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed this film a lot, but boy did I feel uncomfortable regarding
the treatment of animals. Some of the horses looked pretty freaked out and were those dogs CGI? They looked pretty real and training dogs to attack humans just feels problematic. Like, you're untraining that afterwards?

I'm certain I'm overthinking it, but it was distracting my mind in places.
Those were stunt dogs. They live for this work. Either that or they are police animals.

The horses were certainly CGI in most cases, from what I could tell

Oct 25, 2017
I was kinda eh on 2, but I loved 3.

This movie was basically a non stop adrenaline rush.

Although, I don't think I like the direction they are hinting at with the next movie

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"VHS shlock" seemed negative, although to be fair, I love shlocky-with-craft flicks like Upgrade and Overlord

Personally I'd describe John Wick (well both movies, but especially the first movie) as a b-movie with class

Wick 1 just has an 80s Direct To VHS quality to it. In a good way. Like it was made by people who grew up on that shit and wanted to make an homage to it.