• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Please use spoiler tags to discuss plot details for the first weekend.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fscottmendelson%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F03%2FFIN02_JW3_1Sht_Payoff_VF1-1200x675.jpg

Directed by Chad Stahelski
Produced by Basil Iwanyk, Erica Lee
Screenplay by Derek Kolstad, Shay Hatten, Chris Colllins, Marc Abrams

Starring
Keanu Reeves
Laurence Fishburne
Mark Dacascos
Asia Kate Dillon
Lance Reddick
Anjelica Huston
Ian McShane
Halle Berry​

Last edited:
OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
What a great movie from start to finish. Absolutely incredible action, great story, world-building, and more.

That twist legit had me shook, and I cannot fucking wait for John Wick to (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Down with the High Table. Bowery King and Wick going to burn it all down.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last movie only opened to 30M. I wouldn't really expect too much more out of this one, but I have no idea how it is tracking. I think it would be lucky to get to 45M.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Got tickets for the very first public showing of this in my town on Thursday. Can't wait.

I'll bet this is gonna be one of my favorites this year.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I hyped as hell to watch this. After Endgame no one film came close to the level of hype I have for this.

Rarity

Dec 3, 2017
What a great movie from start to finish. Absolutely incredible action, great story, world-building, and more.

That twist legit had me shook, and I cannot fucking wait for John Wick to (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Down with the High Table. Bowery King and Wick going to burn it all down.
I thought that the Bowery King was killed?

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I thought that the Bowery King was killed?

At the end of the movie, after Winston has shot and betrayed John WIck, John is brought by the Bowery King's assistant before a bruised Bowery King still recovering from his wounds like John is. They're both pissed off, Bowery King talks about how he is going to show the High Table the power of "under the table" and they both talk about how pissed off they are, setting the stage for a sequel with John Wick and the Bowery King taking on Winston, the Adjudicator, and the whole High Table.

Rarity

Dec 3, 2017
At the end of the movie, after Winston has shot and betrayed John WIck, John is brought by the Bowery King's assistant before a bruised Bowery King still recovering from his wounds like John is. They're both pissed off, Bowery King talks about how he is going to show the High Table the power of "under the table" and they both talk about how pissed off they are, setting the stage for a sequel with John Wick and the Bowery King taking on Winston, the Adjudicator, and the whole High Table.

Ah thanks! That wasn't in the cut I saw a couple of months ago, so I'm excited to see what other changes were made since. It ended with him being saved by the Tick Tock Man, but there was no scene with the Bowery King. That's a great change and a much better end.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Ah thanks! That wasn't in the cut I saw a couple of months ago, so I'm excited to see what other changes were made since. It ended with him being saved by the Tick Tock Man, but there was no scene with the Bowery King. That's a great change and a much better end.

It really sets the stage for John Wick Chapter 4. I couldn't see the movie not ending with that scene. It's such a good hype scene where you're like "aww yis here we fucking go chapter 4 destroy the fucking high table"

Rarity

Dec 3, 2017
It really sets the stage for John Wick Chapter 4. I couldn't see the movie not ending with that scene. It's such a good hype scene where you're like "aww yis here we fucking go chapter 4 destroy the fucking high table"
The ending I saw with just the betrayal annoyed me, so I'm completely on board with this. A team-up and a game plan? Yes, please. And add Carrie-Anne Moss somehow.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing it Thursday, can't wait.

There's no reason to see it in IMAX right? Saw there's an IMAX showing but I'm assuming it wasn't filmed for the format at all?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i just need to know 1 thing
does this movie feel like the end or there's room for more?
i love john wick movies and would be a real shame for this to end at just 3

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Is John Wick the quintessential 21st century action hero? I made a thread earlier in the year arguing he's the only modern action hero, in the classic 80s sense of the phrase. (yes, I know Ethan Hunt exists)

As for being the quintessential one: he fits in the older hero mold popularized by Taken, his action embodies the clear and graceful yet brutal approach to combat that The Raid reinvigorated, he's hyper-skilled yet vulnerable like Bourne.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is John Wick the quintessential 21st century action hero? I made a thread earlier in the year arguing he's the only modern action hero, in the classic 80s sense of the phase. (yes, I know Ethan Hunt exists)

As for being the quintessential one: he fits in the older hero mold popularized by Taken, his action embodies the clear and graceful yet brutal approach to combat that The Raid reinvigorated, he's hyper-skilled yet vulnerable like Bourne.

He's not old though he's immortal

CheeseTom

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it tonight. I can confirm all the comments on here are legit.

It was all I wanted it to be and more. The movie had so many awesome fights!

valeo

Oct 27, 2017
Watching it tonight. Can't wait.

As someone who thought John Wick 1 was 'good' but John Wick 2 was fucking great; how will I feel about this one ERA?

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
nom nom nom

More hyped for this than either Endgame or GOT S8. Not really sure why because I usually shy away from anything hyper violent as I think it gets a bit gross in its gratuity; I just think John Wick 2 was basically art. Some of the shots were legitimately amazing.

John Wick 3 is even more hyper violent, and the shots are just as gorgeous. There's one scene in the movie where oh man it's such an incredible shot and action sequence. I have never seen anything like it.

Sophia is crouched against a wall holding a bad guy down, and one of her dogs runs up to her, jumps on her back, parkours up the wall, and bites a dude's sack.

Not too sure I like this... I thought 2 was solid but way too over the top and dumb at times. I didn't enjoy 2 as much as one.

I liked 2's a bit more, although it sacrificed some stuff for more world building. Three takes the best of one and two and puts them together imo. It feels grounded while expanding the universe thru world building.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
John Wick 3 is even more hyper violent, and the shots are just as gorgeous. There's one scene in the movie where oh man it's such an incredible shot and action sequence. I have never seen anything like it.

Sophia is crouched against a wall holding a bad guy down, and one of her dogs runs up to her, jumps on her back, parkours up the wall, and bites a dude's sack.

I liked 2's a bit more, although it sacrificed some stuff for more world building. Three takes the best of one and two and puts them together imo. It feels grounded while expanding the universe thru world building.
That's good to hear. I revoke what I said about watching it on rental and will try to see it this weekend.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Cool to see in a recent featurette that the motorcycle chase is a deliberate homage to The Villainess, as I had hoped. Stahelski described it as a cinematic "good fucking job" ode to that movie's stuntwork/action achievement

Last edited:

valeo

Oct 27, 2017
Not too sure I like this... I thought 2 was solid but way too over the top and dumb at times. I didn't enjoy 2 as much as one.

Definitely a matter of taste - 1 and 2 are quite different films, really. 1 was too simple for my sensibilities and I loved the world building in 2.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
SweetNicole, Chad Stahelski should be able to do anything he wants after this amazing trilogy

its rumored he is doing Highlander next

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Cool to see in a recent featurette that the motorcycle cycle is a deliberate homage to The Villainess, as I had hoped. Stahelski described it as a cinematic "good fucking job" ode to that movie's stuntwork/action achievement

I knew it looked similar in the trailers, glad it's a deliberate homage. The action scenes in The Villainess are even better than the ones in John Wick imo, but it's really close.

BMO=GOAT

Oct 26, 2017
For those who seen it, i have a question about Winston.
So wait Winston betrays John?!?! Whyyyyy?? I actually liked Winston. And who is this adjudicator person? Is he like the anti john wick?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it looked similar in the trailers, glad it's a deliberate homage. The action scenes in The Villainess are even better than the ones in John Wick imo, but it's really close.
My problem with Villainess is that the camerawork is too kinetic. It's the same issue as choppy editing, but the other side of the spectrum. Makes the action difficult and muddled to follow, the camera rarely stops moving in a handheld style that seems at odds with the action

Like the best moments in this clip are when the camera stops and let moments just happen instead of swinging around frenetically

Last edited: