• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
gonna watch this with my bro in a few hours
hype!
love john wick series really really much, been waiting for this day for a long time

NotoriousPUG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the fights at the start of the film are better than the ending ones, for me the most brutal thing in the film was
John getting the horses to kick people. The sound was so powerful I could feel it.

The biggest issue with those was how bad they looked. The two times it happened looked almost laughingly bad. Hopefully they find a way to clean that up a bit before home release.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm in the minority. Didn't really care about JW1 that much, and watched 2/3 back to back with some friends last night, and fell asleep throughout portions of 3.. Terrible movies.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
JE3 was pretty damn fun, but it def feels like a movie that's building up towards something greater. I'm not sure it can sustain that momemtum into a fourth movie tho. The first two acts of the movie were awesome but the movie started feeling exhausting in the third act. It kinda went on for too long and it makes me wonder just how longer they can stretch this premise.

The action setpieces can't be denied tho, they are spectacular. I was also lucky I had a good crowd that had fun reactions to some of John Wick's most ridiculous fatalities.
The book kill actually got applause from some people in the audience lol.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished....
Shame but gonna have to say that this is imo weaker than jw2
It had an incredible start with Ernest in the library and the Chinese guys with Tiger Chen (I gotta check the censored part, in Indonesia showing Tiger suddenly is already dead after a scuttle)
The Morocco gun battle dragged a few minutes too long
Motorcycle part is kinda whatever
The beginning of the raid guys fight was amazing, but then suddenly somehow John started winning and that was kinda lame
Dagascos fight was also whatever, he was supposed to be the master of all these assassins and he ended up not much different
How the fuck did John survive there at the end, that was kinda lame as well
Overall I wanna say 7.5/10, maybe 8 if I'm feeling generous

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping JW4 is a bit different with the approach.
John Wick vs the world is great and all, but how hype would it be to be Avengers-esque and bring back a bunch of the people he has spared and helped?

Common, Ruby Rose, Halle Berry, and the Raid guys all show up ready to help Wick take out the High Table. Halle already has the motivation, they are going to want her dead after what she did. The others would just do it out of loyalty/respect for Wick letting them live.

Wick is obviously going to go after the Elder so he can get his ring back. He wont be able to do that alone.

Sure, the Morocco fight went on a bit too long, but it was great seeing a tag team fight. More of those, please.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I thought all the hand to hand stuff in the movie was actually not remarkable at all, and the finale / interest over time suffered for it. Which is a shame because the gun / blade action was nice, but yeah it was kinda painfully obvious that most fights were choreographed

Oct 27, 2017
I thought all the hand to hand stuff in the movie was actually not remarkable at all, and the finale / interest over time suffered for it. Which is a shame because the gun / blade action was nice, but yeah it was kinda painfully obvious that most fights were choreographed
Well, there was literally an entire scene in a ballet theater. The metaphor was right under our nose

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding the ending...

After Winston shot Wick off the roof and after the Adjudicator stopped before getting in the car, Winston and Charon are talking before the Adjudicator walks up to them and tells them that Wick's body is gone. I didn't clearly hear what they were saying but I felt they were discussing when they'll see Wick again, was I correct? If so, that kinda kills the idea of Winston's heel turn if they're expecting to see him again, meaning it was likely planned.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Love it.

Future action films should learn a thing or two about JW. Enough of those shaky cams.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the ending...

After Winston shot Wick off the roof and after the Adjudicator stopped before getting in the car, Winston and Charon are talking before the Adjudicator walks up to them and tells them that Wick's body is gone. I didn't clearly hear what they were saying but I felt they were discussing when they'll see Wick again, was I correct? If so, that kinda kills the idea of Winston's heel turn if they're expecting to see him again, meaning it was likely planned.

I think their conversation was about how long it was going to take to get The Continental running again and not about Mr. Wick

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
All I could think of when John was fighting the armored guys was that he was at the final stages of the game where the enemies have bullshit extra armor and take like 1000 shots to kill, hahaha. Great movie.

I was thinking the same thing! They definitely felt like final stage people!

Random Thoughts:
  1. I wish Mark Dacascos had lived. Would've been a nice ally/enemy in later movies.
  2. Going by the movie's logic, Halle Berry is toast. You help John Wick and you're not a boss, you die. Halle's dope, but not able to survive elite high table dope.
  3. The lore in this movie is dumb fun. It can't collapse upon itself because the world is so absurd. REAL people in the world don't even react to the action. Ever. It's an absurd world of assassins. Or Hasshshins. Or Baba Yagga or whatever.
  4. Fights begin recycling. Horse back fight is the same as the motorcycle fight.
  5. Great attention to detail with Halle Berry's skill level. Interestingly, at semi close range, Halle is more likely to miss her shot which forces her to rely on the dogs. She's 100 % at long range and right around mid/close range she misses most of the time. At that point, it's Dog time. At point blank skin-to-skin range, she's back to 100%. Thought that was a dope detail. John doesn't miss ever unless something physically moves his gun and interrupts.
  6. I wish John had a weakness/deficiency. He knows every martial art style and every weapon and can recover from every physical pounding. Would've been great if Dacoscos had a 'skill' that made him advantageously unique. Nope. John sees it and can mimic it and BETTER it mid fight. Meh.
  7. Who trusts Swearegen? Ever? That's what you get!
Fun movie, though. Don't need another Wick movie for a few years. Like someone above said, you're not so much into the drama of the fights as much as into the technical aspects of how they were executed. In that way, they'll need time to come up with more creative ways to fill up 2 hours without recycling.

Hope so.

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back and this managed to top the second one for me.

His legendary reputation literally saved him or gave him a chance with the raid guys.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it but it feels like nothing of note happened in the movie? Like you could just show me John Wick 4 instead of this and tell me its 3.

The only thing that changed was that Ian Mcshane betrayed him. Otherwise this entire film was for nothing?

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed it but it feels like nothing of note happened in the movie? Like you could just show me John Wick 4 instead of this and tell me its 3.

The only thing that changed was that Ian Mcshane betrayed him. Otherwise this entire film was for nothing?

Did he betray him? I thought he knew he wasn't killing him when he shot him? I definitely agree that not much happened though. Everyone of consequence is still alive for part 4.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Did he betray him? I thought he knew he wasn't killing him when he shot him? I definitely agree that not much happened though. Everyone of consequence is still alive for part 4.

I really don't think he did. I feel like the movement was so quick that the Adjudicator would think they were legit, but that Winston was definitely aiming for the suit. It's meant to put the NY Continental back to being legit, and then Winston can help Wick take down the High Table.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Early fight spoiler:

I could hear the whole theater around me wince when he stabbed that guy in the eye.

I enjoyed the movie overall, but I prefer the gunplay from the first two movies over the strictly hand-to-hand fights here.

They've been building towards a showdown with the High Table since JW2, I wonder how many films it's going to take to get there. This one expanded the lore, but didn't really get any closer to that end goal, I felt (aside from getting the audience to want it to happen).

Oct 30, 2017
I loved how the leader of the elite Japanese sushi-ninja team spoke Japanese like he had a sock in his mouth.

Keanu's Byelorussian was also bad.

It continues to baffle me how that sort of stuff gets put into multi-million dollar movies. Completely ruins scenes.

I legit think there's someone above the desert guy.
I would be disappointed if this was the case. At the end of the day the movie is mostly nutritionless pulp, but having a Bedoiun as the leader is rich in symbolism and a notch in the movie's favour to me.

Last edited:

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Chad Stahelski just seems to be on another level of action when it comes to director's now a days.

His choreography is so creative, it makes Tarantino's look kind of bland in comparison

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
After seeing it for a second time, I realize that the
adjudicator
scenes drag the middle down and makes it somewhat of a chore to watch for me. That character did absolutely nothing for me and they devote like a quarter of the movie to her.

I get they were going for expanding the universe and putting a face to the high table, but it felt like a very innefectual way of doing that. The scenes didn't feel intimidating, just mostly awkwardly acted on all sides.

I also wish they kept the pace of the oddball set pieces like in the first half the film. The second half's set pieces feel like the same fights scenes over and over again. Meanwhile, the first 3 fights in the movie remain the very best. Definitely not my favorite Wick movie, especially not the second time around.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
After seeing it for a second time, I realize that the
adjudicator
scenes drag the middle down and makes it somewhat of a chore to watch for me. That character did absolutely nothing for me and they devote like a quarter of the movie to her.

I get they were going for expanding the universe and putting a face to the high table, but it felt like a very innefectual way of doing that. The scenes didn't feel intimidating, just mostly awkwardly acted on all sides.

I also wish they kept the pace of the oddball set pieces like in the first half the film. The second half's set pieces feel like the same fights scenes over and over again. Meanwhile, the first 3 fights in the movie remain the very best. Definitely not my favorite Wick movie, especially not the second time around.
How did the end seem repetitive?... it actually forced John to adapt to the idea that these guys are armored up and he can't do his usual stuff

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I think their conversation was about how long it was going to take to get The Continental running again and not about Mr. Wick

That is exactly what it was about. I just got out of my second viewing.

Something like: "How long will it be until we are open again?" "Not long at all"

In regards to whether or not that ending was planned;

Winston gives Wick a very quick and slight nod as Wick comes over after asking if they were doing a parley, which insinuates, to me, that Wick had no idea what was going on but that he should trust Winston. Could be wrong but that's what it seemed like.

Second viewing allowed me to see some more fun stuff in the background a few times.

In the library, as they do the establishing shot of Wick entering the main floor, you can see the big dude off to the left, reading a book. Camera switches to be in front of Wick as he is going toward the counter and you can see the big guy get surprised and then stand up.

In the Morocco fight, there are a few times where Sofia is fighting and you can see Wick kicking ass in the background in typical Wick fashion. And vice-versa. Sofia is in the background of a few Wick shots. Then they obviously share a few.

The first time around, I was confused during the biker fight why the one guy jumped off of his motorcycle to ride on the back of the other. I originally missed that Wick shot the shit out of his bike and it was really messed up so he ditched it last second. Kind of cool detail.

It's fairly obvious to me that Wick did not have it all planned out when he went to the Elder. He just wanted to live, accepted it, then was turned back once he finally saw Winston again and realized where his priorities really were. Someone here suggested prior that he was double crossing the Elder right from the beginning, I highly doubt that.

One error I caught:
in the museum fight at the beginning, there are two groups of four enemies that go after Wick. It establishes twice that both groups have four guys each. One group crosses the road and stop a car that honks, then all four run through the chandelier area. Then the second group of four comes through, led by the two guys who briefly said something like "that's him" and took off their aprons.

Wick shoots the one guy in the head, then goes hand to hand against five other guys for a total of six. Which means that either two guys got forgotten about, or they were killed in a scene that was edited out.

Overall, very very fun. I still like the first more overall, but this was great. I think where this one falls short is the soundtrack. The first one did so great there, with the nightclub's "Shots Fired", Marilyn Manson's "Killing Strangers" playing a few times, and what to me was Wick's theme in "Lure the Wolf". I could listen to that soundtrack all day.

I honestly dont remember anything from the 2nd one, and actively trying to find a good track from Parabellum was difficult. I wasnt a big fan of that.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Did anyone else get the impression that despite how skilled Sofia is she is still a notch below John?

as Blackbanditsho said, It seemed like she was missing a lot more shots and had to have her dogs bail her out at some parts. Where John never misses essentially

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I have a question about John's background if anyone can answer?
Did they say that He was part of the Roma tribe or he was just adopted by the Roma Tribe in Belarus?

Deleted member 2152

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I watched 1 and 2 for the first time earlier this week and saw 3 today. The first was a fun, simple revenge film and now the story has spiraled into being so overly grandiose that it's ridiculous. The action definitely got better with each film though.

The knife fight at the beginning was really well done, probably my favorite in the series.

Last edited:

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is the first time where I can see Keanu's age in a movie. He just doesn't move like a younger/40ish person anymore. He has a full on old man run (see: Harrison Ford) that shows his probably busted knees. Same thing with the choreography - it was great, but you could also almost see where swaps happen since the stunt men are a lot more agile compared to him.

That being said this was still a very fun and completely ridiculous ride! I prefer the first one, since it feels a lot more grounded. They basically Fast and Furioused this franchise - and I don't mean that in a bad way. It was the only way to keep it going, otherwise it would be absurd that he still survives in these situation - we would get something like the Taken franchise.

I love how the violence is juxtaposed with these old rules and decor. Feels a lot grander in scope than the first movie ever could. And the action was just fantastic! Especially the library, the museum, the stables and the end-fight. Also - holy shit must Halle Barry have trained with those dogs for a long time! The way they reacted to her made that setting and action set a lot more believable. It's also nice that she wasn't just a cameo but a full character.

I hope they end the franchise on 4. It's good, sometimes even great, but with Keanu getting older and the premise never changing too much, this would drift off into something bad given some more time.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
One error I caught:
in the museum fight at the beginning, there are two groups of four enemies that go after Wick. It establishes twice that both groups have four guys each. One group crosses the road and stop a car that honks, then all four run through the chandelier area. Then the second group of four comes through, led by the two guys who briefly said something like "that's him" and took off their aprons.

Wick shoots the one guy in the head, then goes hand to hand against five other guys for a total of six. Which means that either two guys got forgotten about, or they were killed in a scene that was edited out.

I thought you might be right, but I just watched it again and there's no error there.

One guy runs in and is killed by multiple knives (he's only in two shots, but the editing makes it look like he was the guy Keanu was just fighting in the previous shot) and there is a second bald guy (not Roger Yuan) who gets stabbed in the head during the Tiger Chen portion of the fight.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the ending...

I thought it was heavily implied that Winston knew he'd see Wick again. The whole "babayaga" thing as well as the blatantly terrible shots on his part.

SpiritSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else get the impression that despite how skilled Sofia is she is still a notch below John?

as Blackbanditsho said, It seemed like she was missing a lot more shots and had to have her dogs bail her out at some parts. Where John never misses essentially

Everyone is below John that's why he's so well known. He's the best of the best.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017

I thought you might be right, but I just watched it again and there's no error there.

One guy runs in and is killed by multiple knives (he's only in two shots, but the editing makes it look like he was the guy Keanu was just fighting in the previous shot) and there is a second bald guy (not Roger Yuan) who gets stabbed in the head during the Tiger Chen portion of the fight.

Really? Huh. I thought something was goofy the first time I saw the movie on Saturday, then when I went again last night I specifically tried counting. Guess I got some of the guys mixed up.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
it's important to remember that JW 3 takes place right after 2 ended...so the sluggishness of John's choreography seems deliberate a bit, the dude has been fighting without any breaks

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the hand to hand combat. It was fun at first but it got old after a while.
I would agree with this. The fight with the Raid guys was the best part of that section; the first fight with the pupils and finale with Zero just dragged on for me. It didn't help that none of the hand-to-hand matched the early knife fight

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
John Wick vs the world is great and all, but how hype would it be to be Avengers-esque and bring back a bunch of the people he has spared and helped?

Common, Ruby Rose, Halle Berry, and the Raid guys all show up ready to help Wick take out the High Table. Halle already has the motivation, they are going to want her dead after what she did. The others would just do it out of loyalty/respect for Wick letting them live.

Wick is obviously going to go after the Elder so he can get his ring back. He wont be able to do that alone.

Sure, the Morocco fight went on a bit too long, but it was great seeing a tag team fight. More of those, please.

While I would love to see this, some of the ones you've listed have no reason to fight the High Table. Also I'm pretty sure Ruby Rose died. He pulled out the knife that he chose to leave in Common out of respect.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it.

Just about as overhyped as John Wick 2 was, and it manages to be even worse then that. First movie remains the best in the trilogy by far with superior pacing, music, locations,villain and dialogue.

The fights are obviously good in all 3 but then again, everything else is just trying to emulate the first movie. Also doesn't help that Chapter 3 also feels like the first part of what's about to come. It feels like they're going nowhere at this point.

Ian Mcshane is also super underrated. Dude's a killer. Winston shoud get his own TV show.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
The armored mooks fight is pretty idiot plotty considering so many problems could have been solved if John and the security goons had brought actual rifle caliber weapons instead of worthless 9mm weapons. Hell, even a PDW like an MP7 or P90 would have been better against body armor than John's Glock and oversized sub machine gun.

Also was anybody else kind of disappointed in the fight against the Raid guys? Maybe it was because Keanu clearly couldn't keep up with them but it seemed like there were so many chances for them to instantly kill him with their knifes that were ignored, and the fight kind of devolved into slapstick. If they had removed the knives from the equation and had them completely outskilling John until he uses his superior mass and reach advantage to end them in a few hits that might have been better.

Casablanca fight followed by the opening "Oh hey, we're surrounded by cases full of edged weapons" fight were the best IMO.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

yeah, this would be fantastic.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Sorry for my nerdiness, but I must

hqdefault.jpg

both are hunting each other down in New York.

1. purely H2H fight
2. All out fight (guns, knives etc.)

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

I feel like this is exactly what they are building up to.

Also, I'm really enjoying pretending this universe is an extension of the Matrix Universe.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The armored mooks fight is pretty idiot plotty considering so many problems could have been solved if John and the security goons had brought actual rifle caliber weapons instead of worthless 9mm weapons. Hell, even a PDW like an MP7 or P90 would have been better against body armor than John's Glock and oversized sub machine gun.

Also was anybody else kind of disappointed in the fight against the Raid guys? Maybe it was because Keanu clearly couldn't keep up with them but it seemed like there were so many chances for them to instantly kill him with their knifes that were ignored, and the fight kind of devolved into slapstick. If they had removed the knives from the equation and had them completely outskilling John until he uses his superior mass and reach advantage to end them in a few hits that might have been better.

Casablanca fight followed by the opening "Oh hey, we're surrounded by cases full of edged weapons" fight were the best IMO.

The armor the raiding guys had on was clearly make believe magically good its not supposed to be realistic. Just like JW having bullet proof dress suit somehow. The armored guys weren't even flinching at some of those bullet hits, they left the realm of realism a while ago.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this one WAY more than 2. The first few fights alone made it worth seeing. Though I have to admit, one of my problems with 2 was that it just felt like set up for 3....and then 3 really just ends up essentially being set up for 4. But for whatever reason, it did not bother me as much. Maybe because I just enjoyed the action more this time. Also I thought it might have been because I saw this movie with about 3 hours of sleep beforehand, but the fight against the raid guys did drag for me. Others seem to be saying the same, so maybe it wasn't the little bit of sleep I got.

BioFan

Oct 31, 2017
Love JW3, but I think the whole story surrounding the high table should end in JW4. Don't think the story could stretch so much. But if they will ever make a JW5, hope it'll be something new cos I do still want to see Keanu as John Wick for a long time.
But can't wait for JW4. Love 3 more than 2 but 1 is still the best to me. But I'm glad the movies keep getting better and better at the box office and the quality doesn't disappoint either.