• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
This is 100% bait. Best thing is for Depp to just let his lawyers handle her from now on and try to forget he ever knew her. It's like she's begging for a reaction.
She would text him over a 100 times to come home after starting a fight with him and making him retreat to a different house. She can't help herself

A.M.R

May 17, 2020
I wonder if it was even an option, or if her therapist was willing to testify in the US trial or could have been compulsed in a non-criminal trial if they weren't willing.

I saw this on reddit. Her therapist name, Dr. Bonnie Jacobs, was in the witness list of the US trial. She didn't testify in UK trial before.

Even Elaine in the opening statement mentioned, "you'll see & hear from Dr. Bonnie Jacobs...& she'll talk about the cycle of abuse". Timestamp 16:00

So she was going to testify, but they didn't call her or she withdraw. Who knows maybe because of the pressure of being televised or something. Understandable, since both Dr. Hughes & Dr. Spiegel got review bombed.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
What boggles my mind that they brought JD's therapist to testify, but didn't bring her therapist from 2012. If they did, they probably could have introduced those notes easily, at least being read or referenced in court ! There's something more going on, I think.
her therapist probably would have shown to be unethical and incompetent if she did show if we go by her other experts

Feb 16, 2022
I'm legit pissed and heartbroken. The community over at AV Club has 100% turned brainrot all over this. The most recent article about the juror is filled all with overwhelming support for her and vitriol for Depp and all the people who believed him, including the jurors.

www.avclub.com

Juror speaks out about Amber Heard and Johnny Depp trial, verdict

Well, an anonymous juror from the Amber Heard and Johnny Depp trial has stepped forward to spew some misogyny and half-witted opinions on the trial which they oversaw. He states Heard's testimony made him "uncomfortable" with her "crocodile tears."

AVC has been one of my mainstay for years. It has been going downhill more and more, ever since the merge with GMG/Kinja's family of sites and the people from other places like Kotaku or io9 came in, but now it's full on garbage fire.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this on reddit. Her therapist name, Dr. Bonnie Jacobs, was in the witness list of the US trial. She didn't testify in UK trial before.

Even Elaine in the opening statement mentioned, "you'll see & hear from Dr. Bonnie Jacobs...& she'll talk about the cycle of abuse". Timestamp 16:00

So she was going to testify, but they didn't call her or she withdraw. Who knows maybe because of the pressure of being televised or something. Understandable, since both Dr. Hughes & Dr. Spiegel got review bombed.
Hmmmm, if she was deposed, then a transcript of it or her declaration might be available somewhere.

My initial guess is that they chose not to call her doctor and other witnesses because she believed not only did she have it in the bag to win, but she stood to also win her counterclaim and get a cool hundred million dollars, so they spent their remaining time on the counterclaim rather than defend her against Depp's.

But either way I don't see a Bonnie Jacobs on their list that was out on of their notice of filling as part of their appeal, so I don't know... I know Dr. Connell Cowan's deposition is on there, though. And it's being filed under seal. I don't recall them playing his deposition in court, no?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
AH really needs to stop talking. Take the L and move on. The more she keeps speaking, the closer and closer she inches towards liable again.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Concern Trolling in a Sensitive Thread
I don't know of anyone has brought this up, but is anyone legitimately concerned for her baby?

She is a master projector and even though her claim about people threatening to "microwave her baby" is realistic in that people are legit nuts sometimes, the way she chooses what language to use to accuse others or explains herself makes me really uncomfortable for this situation.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
AH really needs to stop talking. Take the L and move on. The more she keeps speaking, the closer and closer she inches towards liable again.
She's too much of a narcissist to ever admit to herself that she lost. She didn't lose, the jury was influenced, the judge was biased, her evidence was dismissed etc. There's always a f*cking excuse, except for the obvious truth:

She lied about it all and got caught.

Given that she literally said she'd stand by her testimony until they day she dies... I think Johnny's lawyers have enough to actually shut her up.

We all know she won't shut up though... She'd rather risk actual jail-time than to see Johnny move on.

A.M.R

May 17, 2020
her therapist probably would have shown to be unethical and incompetent if she did show if we go by her other experts
Most likely Elaine was responsible for shopping for those bad experts.
I had a look at Bonnie Jacobs profile. She specializes in LGBTQ+ , so I can see why AH was consulting Bonnie for longtime giving her relationship with Tasya. Perhaps they didn't call her because most likely she will spill the beans during cross about her ex-wife & what's happening between them.

Hmmmm, if she was deposed, then a transcript of it or her declaration might be available somewhere.

My initial guess is that they chose not to call her doctor and other witnesses because she believed not only did she have it in the bag to win, but she stood to also win her counterclaim and get a cool hundred million dollars, so they spent their remaining time on the counterclaim rather than defend her against Depp's.

But either way I don't see a Bonnie Jacobs on their list that was out on of their notice of filling as part of their appeal, so I don't know... I know Dr. Connell Cowan's deposition is on there, though. And it's being filed under seal. I don't recall them playing his deposition in court, no?

If I recall Whitney wasn't deposed yet she was allowed to take the stand. So I don't understand how this works.

I agree, they spent so much time about the counterclaim, & only made her case look even worse in cross exam.

I don't recall Dr. Connell Cowan's deposition either. Interesting, they may use it for appeal then. It doesn't have a ground tho.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Most likely Elaine was responsible for shopping for those bad experts.
I had a look at Bonnie Jacobs profile. She specializes in LGBTQ+ , so I can see why AH was consulting Bonnie for longtime giving her relationship with Tasya. Perhaps they didn't call her because most likely she will spill the beans during cross about her ex-wife & what's happening between them.

If I recall Whitney wasn't deposed yet she was allowed to take the stand. So I don't understand how this works.

I agree, they spent so much time about the counterclaim, & only made her case look even worse in cross exam.

I don't recall Dr. Connell Cowan's deposition either. Interesting, they may use it for appeal then. It doesn't have a ground tho.
I think there maybe a couple of issues at play.
I don't know about California, but if she reported being physically assaulted to her psychiatrists, then wouldn't they have had to report it? I'm not familiar with mandatory reporting in CA... But if they had to and didn't, wouldn't it get them in trouble? So that could be a reason for some of her doctors not to testify.

Cowan especially, IIRC, was the doctor they tried to suggest he diagnosed her with PTSD. Dr. Curry responded that he specifically said he doesn't use diagnoses in his treatment... So if they brought him in, their case regarding the PTSD issue would've been further weakened. And who knows what else is in there that would've hurt them some more.

Moreover, not everyone is Dr. Hughes... If these doctors have any integrity, they would've testified to what Curry already said, which is: as psychiatrists they are not able to prove whether something happened or not. They can only testify to whether Heard reported it to them or not. And ultimately, if the source for all this information is AH herself, then who cares, she testifies to it regardless.

And none of it changes the outcome of this trial.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/friday-ratings-dateline-eyes-low-223822445.html

In the latest TV ratings, Dateline NBC's sitdown with Amber Heard on Friday night drew 2.3 million total viewers and a 0.2 demo rating, down 18 and 50 percent week-to-week to mark the newsmagazine's second smallest audience since November and a season low in the demo.

NBC paid to fly her in a private jet, and is rumored to have also paid her up to $1 Million for the sit down interview. If true, with these low ratings NBC might have lost money on this interview.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/friday-ratings-dateline-eyes-low-223822445.html

In the latest TV ratings, Dateline NBC's sitdown with Amber Heard on Friday night drew 2.3 million total viewers and a 0.2 demo rating, down 18 and 50 percent week-to-week to mark the newsmagazine's second smallest audience since November and a season low in the demo.

NBC paid to fly her in a private jet, and is rumored to have also paid her up to $1 Million for the sit down interview. If true, with these low ratings NBC might have lost money on this interview.
Good.

Paying and promoting an abuser should lose you money.

The whole thing is incredibly disgusting. She could at least start paying Johnny with that money, but she won't.

She'll use all the money she has to try to appeal, because eventhough she thinks she's smarter than everyone, she's the opposite - predictable and quite dim.

Last edited:

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of people did the right thing and skipped it. It was a waste of time.

The "1hr version" is mostly the same as the previous couple of portions, and those all recycle the same bullshit anyway.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
As a lot of her supporters make a praise out of not watching the trial, I'm pretty sure they're not interested in her interviews either beyond promoting some out of context or even wrong quote tweeted by their favourite progressive influencer. So no wonder the audience is small for that.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Seems like her PR team has started to move her image away from the trial and to more positive stuff. Unilad and Indy100 (lol) have both posting that she's the most beautiful woman in the world according to science, based on some maths a plastic surgeon in London did.

I'm guessing she's finally seen that the interviews are not going to help and they want to try a different route.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: removed old quote
Seems like her PR team has started to move her image away from the trial and to more positive stuff. Unilad and Indy100 (lol) have both posting that she's the most beautiful woman in the world according to science, based on some maths a plastic surgeon in London did.

I'm guessing she's finally seen that the interviews are not going to help and they want to try a different route.

Are... are they actually trying the 'she is a treasure that must be protected' route?

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
so her reason for not fulfilling her pledge to donate the $7 million to charity was that she was being sued? And now that she owes Johnny $10 million and she also seems to have tanked her own career, I'm assuming she won't be giving the rest of the money to the charities that she pledged?

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know of anyone has brought this up, but is anyone legitimately concerned for her baby?

She is a master projector and even though her claim about people threatening to "microwave her baby" is realistic in that people are legit nuts sometimes, the way she chooses what language to use to accuse others or explains herself makes me really uncomfortable for this situation.

Wha...why did this deserve a ban? I'm not sure what Prax was specifically concerned about. But how is it trolling to express concern for the baby of an actual abuser?

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Seems like a reasonable ban to me. It doesn't come across as good faith concern for the baby, but rather just adding fuel to the fire for the sake of it. This thread is about AH defaming/abusing JD. It's not the right place to speculate about whether she's going to harm her own child, or whatever other heinous misdeeds people seem to think she's going to commit next, for that matter.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Seems like a reasonable ban to me. It doesn't come across as good faith concern for the baby, but rather just adding fuel to the fire for the sake of it. This thread is about AH defaming/abusing JD. It's not the right place to speculate about whether she's going to harm her own child, or whatever other heinous misdeeds people seem to think she's going to commit next, for that matter.
I agree with this.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017

Why did NBC go in so hard with this? I assume part of it is just trying to cash in on the still ongoing buzz of the court case, but it feels like this would be a pretty clear "miss" in terms of viewer interest.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017

Okay. Guess I'm just out of touch with what deserves a ban in what topic. I'll drop it now.

Last edited:

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
watching the full interview and immediately something that sticks out is AH still insisting this wasn't about Johnny and that it was about :sigh: "free speech" and fighting truth to power in a movement…

So…why fight for it to be publicly televised? Why wouldn't you want every household in the world to see and learn from your story? Why was JD, the presumed monster, the one that was instead pushing for public airtime?

Unless she knew her story and version of events were fabricated…. It's the only logical explanation.

You can't argue a desire for privacy when you made it a public spectacle with the Op-Ed at the height of the movement. Or cheerled the donations from the divorce across media. Or 'somehow' provided or allowed video footage of a man lashing out at cabinets during a very sensitive low-point in his personal life to TMZ that was produced and owned solely by you.

If everything was true she claims, why try to shield it at the moment when your voice would resonate the loudest…hmmm.

A.M.R

May 17, 2020

In a divorce setting when kids are involved, custody is never given to the abusive parent. So, there's some legitimacy to that.

A.M.R

May 17, 2020
Of course we can't speculate what harm AH might do, and Prax wasn't insinuating that she'll harm them directly.
And I'm not insinuating that either. I'm saying that IPV is not a healthy environment for kids to grow up with, & that's supported by data.

Many in this thread & the previous thread expressed how this trial reminded them of the time growing up with an abusive parent. Some even shared stories of witnessing the violence. And this is not uncommon. In 90% of IPV within families, the kids are direct eye witnesses for the violence. This is a subject that was discussed within the trial proceeding by both sides for thier traumatic upbringing and is not irrelevant by any means.

AH has a repeated allegations of IPV, and that's a risk factor to consider if this continues to future partners or not. I agree that we shouldn't speculate further in this thread, because this may never happen in the next 5 years. but I don't agree that it's a basless speculation.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I think it is a valid concern, I have wondered several times myself about how this child will be raised, but this is not the thread to have such a debate. Mainly because we will only be able to theorize and theorize and worry without having any answers and solutions.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a thread about divorce, though, and we don't need to speculate about things that AH might do based on conjecture.

Doesn't seem hard to understand to me?

I've seen enough of Amber Heard to come to the conclusion that it's extremely unlikely she'll be able to provide a very healthy environment for her daughter to grow up in. Just saying that isn't speculation based on conjecture. But obviously we can't know about specific problems, issues and dangers for the daughter.

But since this is about the defamation case, this is not the topic to talk about it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Not quite sure how I became the spokesperson for this issue, lol. But either way, I was just giving my opinion on why I don't think it's fair to start speculating on how AH's going to treat her kid and why I believe the mods chose to step in.

I respect the fact that we've got members in this thread who grew up in troubled households with parents who abused each other and that they're talking from experience when they talk about this particular issue. I've got my own thoughts and concerns about her kid, but the problem here is that we have no way to know for sure that AH will be abusive to her kid or that the kid will grow up in a toxic environment. I've known people who treated each other terribly, even to the point of domestic abuse, and yet doted on their children. It could go either way in AH's case and none of us have any concrete evidence to indicate which way it will go. For all we know she's actually an amazing mother to her kid.

Anyone who's seen my posts in these threads will know that I'm far from a Heard supporter and the intention isn't to defend her, but this whole thing makes me feel really icky. Like the conversation about how awful AH is has started losing steam, so now we're dragging her kid into it to keep it going. It just feels a bit unnecessary.

As for me, I think it's time for me to unwatch this thread. Amber Heard's taken up enough of my attention and I'm going to let her fade into irrelevance in my mind, which is where I believe she belongs.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
my only hope and thought on that is that the child will be okay and will have someone around them that cares for them and protects them, hopefully the parents themselves.

and if anything happens to them that they are listened to and helped and know to get help.

a lot of these things stem from childhood, and its a cycle that perpetuates. so knowing what we know about all this, all *we* can do is hope for the good.

it is a deep subject with a lot of connected fears, but i don't think it would be served well to discuss it much in this thread. A lot of people won't understand that aspect and it could just end up being a point of argument or distraction.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
so her reason for not fulfilling her pledge to donate the $7 million to charity was that she was being sued? And now that she owes Johnny $10 million and she also seems to have tanked her own career, I'm assuming she won't be giving the rest of the money to the charities that she pledged?
Her excuse was that she pledged to pay it out over several years and also that Depp suing her made her unable to fulfill the pledge, but it was revealed that she had the full amount 13 months before Depp sued her and could have donated the whole amount any time but sat on it.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
Her excuse was that she pledged to pay it out over several years and also that Depp suing her made her unable to fulfill the pledge, but it was revealed that she had the full amount 13 months before Depp sued her and could have donated the whole amount any time but sat on it.
Also she supposedly never paid for her lawyers anyway. Her home unsurance has covered that according to some sources online.

She never intended to pay the donations. Used it to look good publicly... but just forgot about the charities once she had everything she wanted.

She's just a selfish and disgusting person who tries to use charities and good causes etc. for her own personal gain.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
She got others to donate in her name if I recall, at least with the ACLU. She had over a $1.3m with them through others (Depp, Musk, etc.). I think herself only gave $350k or so. The ACLU rep testified that she told them all that shit was credited to the original pledge amount, but she then walked it back under oath in court and said she would pay her "pledge" amount in full still.

Sounds like she wanted others to fulfill her pledge for the publicity and still keep the money on her end. Also why she wouldn't let Johnny donate the divorce settlement directly to the charities himself on her behalf and said he would have to pay her double ($14m) to do that.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017

That was her excuse, despite the fact that she had her $7 million settlement in full for over a year before Depp sued her. She had every opportunity to actually donate that money.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
She got others to donate in her name if I recall, at least with the ACLU. She had over a $1.3m with them through others (Depp, Musk, etc.). I think herself only gave $350k or so. The ACLU rep testified that she told them all that shit was credited to the original pledge amount, but she then walked it back under oath in court and said she would pay her "pledge" amount in full still.
The donations received on her behalf are as follow:
ACLU: $1.3M
CHLA: $350K
Art of Elysium: $250K

ACLU and CHLA received $100K each directly from Depp.
Then there was a $350k donation to the ACLU, and $250K to CHLA.
It's unclear if she paid that $600k herself or not. But as far as we can tell, the best case scenario that's how much she paid herself.

The rest of the money all came from Musk. Including the $250K to Art of Elysium, which seems to only have happened so that Jennifer Howell would shut the fuck up about what Whitney had told her.

The CHLA really got stiffed out of this, they were the charity she claimed to have had the most experience with volunteering and donating over the years, but since the ACLU was giving her a higher profile, the sick and dying children weren't a high priority I guess.

Sounds like she wanted others to fulfill her pledge for the publicity and still keep the money on her end. Also why she wouldn't let Johnny donate the divorce settlement directly to the charities himself on her behalf and said he would have to pay her double ($14m) to do that.
Yep, even admitted it that she only earmarked the whole amount so people would believe her claims in the Dateline interview.
And not only did she want him to pay $14M, she explicitly said to pay it immediately and not protract it for years and years.

Rich shit.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I just want everyone here who suffers abuse, has suffered abuse, or knows someone that has suffered abuse to know that you are not alone and that your stories deserve to be listened to. Regardless of identity, age, supposed power dynamic, etc.

It's a small relief to know that pathological liars/manipulators/abusers can't always manipulate their way through everything.

Had to ignore the main other thread after a bit and didn't bother watching things too closely as some of the revealed details of behavior committed that I did see were re-traumatizing and incredibly surreal as to how closely they mirrored my own personal situation and experiences.

I can take some solace that honest men can over come this kind of life control, but this has also unfortunately revealed that within the progressive/liberal leaning ideological spaces there are many for whom men (especially straight white men) will be dismissed outright, regardless of facts simply due to the nature of their being.

Pretty fucked, especially since my situation was an interracial dynamic one where this kind of angle was continuously consciously weaponized against me/used as a means of psychological/emotional abuse and coercion. The world feels incredibly and increasingly isolating for people like me, though I've felt this sort of thing since childhood growing up amidst conservative white culture that I found highly detestable.
I get that some people cope with humor, I also do that myself sometimes, but the humor I saw was often bereft of any empathy for the parties involved. So I ask you now and for the last time. Please, have a bit more empathy when discussing this issue.

And please don't use the verdict in this case as a weapon to attack the credibility of other victims. It's hard enough to just come forward to speak, let alone to have have the courage to show evidence or pursue legal defense. It's incredibly fucking hard for any victim.

I am happy that Depp won and, hopefully, has regained some good standing and I hope his case inspires victims of any gender or identity, to speak their truth, not the opposite.

This case should give hope to those who feel they don't have any, it should never be used as cudgel to silence others.
Maybe this is too personally reactionary, and I don't know if I should even post something this extensive in here but I'm bizarrely (?) emotional about this, and I have been so frustrated at the response elsewhere. For lack of better words I guess I feel "safer" expressing this on this board into the void than to anyone close or on other socials, but I do feel a need to express it. A lot of my sentiments have already been shared, but:

Someone in one of the earlier threads mentioned they feel like they're being essentially "gaslit" by otherwise progressive outlets and pundits spinning the verdict negatively and I feel much the same way.

The Vice tweet earlier was straight up manipulative and misleading. It was flatly and explicitly meant to negatively reframe reality and control narratives. Watching them and other otherwise respectable outlets just... ignore what I was seeing in these clips, ignore what Heard was saying about male victims and juries believing them, ignoring all the context to Depp's messages, etcetera. That article just above this post with the "the facts of the case don't support it" blathering. I don't even think I've followed this as religiously as others, albeit closely, and it's plain to me... so why not them?

A few hours ago, I saw a GOP account tweet a Jack Sparrow GIF in "celebration" with no text. I felt disgusted with myself, looking inwards asking myself "Am I wrong here? Am I on the wrong side? IS she the real victim? I can't be on their side, right??" despite knowing deep down that in reality the GOP account and I were *not* on the same side, at all. Allowing myself to buckle because of everyone I felt I could usually trust to be on the right side of these issues telling me I am wrong when I believe I am not.

And it feels like it all comes down to the fact these people are co-opting this verdict for their own hand spun narratives, both "progressive" (although as we've covered, it's arguably not really progressivism here...) and whatever you want to call the hellspawn misogyny angle, which is unfortunately all too genuine in its attempts comparatively.

It is an indefensible angle that some seem to take, that victims like this should take the bullet so that chuds and misogynists don't get extra ammo to use. It shouldn't be a victim's responsibility to bear the cross for these things; but it IS objectively going to energize and bolster these assholes, and there's seemingly just nothing we can really do, and all I can say is... I get it. I get why some feel the need to fight that.

It's TOTALLY valid to worry that this will happen and cause a resurgence of doubt towards women and victims, and it's valid to be scared of what that means... but it still feels gross that some people — people who are purporting to believe victims, who are purporting to support victims — are telling me that it should have been Depp's onus to carry, that he should have grinned and bore it, that he should have lost not to upset the balance, or WORSE, that Heard is somehow... not responsible for all the things she objectively, evidentially did, because that would be better for "the movement".

Please do not get me wrong. The errant verbal violence and attacks against Heard online and in these memes and streams and social media are completely unjustified, including some in the Era thread itself particularly just after the verdict was read but it can not absolve her of responsibility for her own actions. They are separate, disparate and disproportionate evils.

Hell, this is to say NOTHING of the further stigmatization of people with mental illnesses that Heard happens to share. The belief of some that these disorders are what make her an abuser, and that all those who suffer them will turn out like her, which is something that matters deeply to me as someone with many BPD suffering friends.

I digress.

In my opinion, what's bad for the movement, and what's bad for victims, is someone who so clearly and brazenly abused someone trying to use said movement to further that narcissistic and manipulative abuse and control. But that's idealistic. It's not realistic to center on. Plainly.

The problem is that we CAN'T just take that face value, because there are so many people who are malcontent to be honest about domestic violence and abuse. People who are ready to use this against #MeToo and other similar concepts... It's incredibly, deeply frustrating that there can't just be reveling in the light of a victim getting their due because people are co-opting it and weaponizing it against other victims, using it to perpetuate gender discriminatory victim blaming manipulation.

Beyond frustration, It's terrifying, even.

It feels oppressive. It's making me uncomfortably introspective... I was certainly never abused in the ways Depp was, but perhaps ready to admit to myself that I was in others, years back, for all of the nothing that that's worth for perspective here; Still, even then I cannot come close to imagining this.

I can't help but think what it would be like to be emotionally and physically victimized, and be told you're the villain for half a decade, and then prove your case... and still be vilified by people who claim to mean well for a cause. I can't help but think about all the other victims out there who are going to be held down by the pro-Heard narrative, or the ones who will suffer from the manipulative reframing of Depp's victory by right wingers and abusers. It's both a massive win for victims and a massive hit for others, and that feels so unfair to so many.

It's an excruciating reminder of how our society functions under institutional patriarchy and misogyny, and how that hurts everyone across the gender spectrum. I'm just so exhausted by this world right now, but at the same time this can't be cast aside, it has to be fought. Some of the people who have been rightfully carrying this torch for so long are now siding with an abuser out of well meaning ignorance, out of gender bias, out of so many factors small and large. Setting themselves and the individual causes back in the process of ironically trying desperately not to do so.

There is so much work to do still. I hope it can happen. I hope this sets as positive a precedent as it can, and that it is not abused for horrifying narratives. Sorry for rambling on.
I put zero stock in these sorts of people. Especially now when they've shown their own biases. In all honesty, I do sometimes feel like the internet has tried to co-opt progressivism to the exclusion of cishet white men. Which on one hand I can understand...swaths of cishet white men have historically impeded progress for nearly every minority group and have, through their own actions, made lots of enemies.

But, anecdotally, I'm a cishet white dude who would describe myself as a progressive who values and wants progress for every underrecognized or underprivileged class or group of people in the world. This trial, in my view, has been an opportunity for progressives to highlight the fact that DV does not discriminate against gender and that even cishet white dudes can be victims of physical and emotional domestic violence. If we, the socially-conscious progressive, define ourselves by our tolerance, understanding, and acceptance then why has the line been drawn in the sand with this trial? Is it our comeuppance for the disregard we've shown previous generations? If so, I can do nothing but try to take it on the chin. I won't change my identity or shift my values because I feel hurt in this scenario, but it puts in perspective the level of animus that underlies the motivations of those on social media.
I just want to provide a spotlight on some of these posts. They were very thought-provoking and I thank you all for sharing experiences that I'm sure were painful. I hope you all are doing well.

Ok, I found an article from 2018

She is basically touching on the issue that the men who shared their stories of abuse in the previous thread said.

Look, a lot is said about the disappointment with leftist intellectuals, influencers, newspapers, but the creator of Metoo already had this sensibility back there. Four years ago she had already addressed much of what we are complaining about today.

Now the question remains: Why were we listening to these people and not to her?

This is also good. Tarana Burke deserves more support.

If I were a media company I would be wary of uncritically airing the words of Amber Heard. The Sun may have lost in the UK but with the US verdict in, you might want to be a little more careful.
Wait, I thought The Sun won the UK case?

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
This is also good. Tarana Burke deserves more support.
www.resetera.com

Metoo.org could use your help

In my understanding, they are not getting the recognition they deserve at the moment so I'm here to share with you a little bit about their work. I understand that there is great fear about the death of the Metoo movement. I ask you to take a look at the statement made by the creator of the...
I made this thread to spread the word, and bring more awareness to her work

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
www.resetera.com

Metoo.org could use your help

In my understanding, they are not getting the recognition they deserve at the moment so I'm here to share with you a little bit about their work. I understand that there is great fear about the death of the Metoo movement. I ask you to take a look at the statement made by the creator of the...
I made this thread to spread the word, and bring more awareness to her work
Thank you kindly.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to provide a spotlight on some of these posts. They were very thought-provoking and I thank you all for sharing experiences that I'm sure were painful. I hope you all are doing well.

Thank you. I'm doing as well as I can be, I guess.

If I were a media company I would be wary of uncritically airing the words of Amber Heard. The Sun may not have lost in the UK but with the US verdict in, you might want to be a little more careful.

I know that not everyone can understand this because, thankfully, not everyone has gone through this but I think you don't understand what this case was about for Depp. He didn't sue the Sun because he was feeling litigious, he did because the world thought he was a monster and he wanted to set the record straight, he wanted to speak his truth. Suing the Sun just happened to be, at the time, the way his legal team thought he could do it best. Now I don't want to get into the weeds of whether I thought that case was fair or not. I want to bring things back around to the most recent case and what it meant for Depp.

He said it quite plainly and repeatedly, he just wanted to speak his truth, even if it meant showing the worst sides of him to society, having the world learn about private, intimate details of his life and relationships. He was willing to pay that price to be able to speak his truth and once it was all presented, once his team presented the final statements, that was enough for him. He didn't set foot in court again and he tried to go back to living his life.

He didn't hire a new PR firm to defend him or attack his former wife, he didn't try to land as many interviews as he could to speak up against the person that brought so much personal and professional harm.

I remember on Heard's last testimony, she emotionally begged Johnny to "leave her alone" and he did. As far as I'm aware he's been trying to avoid mentioning her directly. She continues to deny the ruling, any wrongdoing and attempts to defame him while at the same time victimizing herself for a situation that is, for the most part, of her own making.

I don't blame anyone for trying to move on with their lives and trying to preserve their careers, taking a person's livelihood away is akin to killing them, but I can't empathize with someone that did so once and continues to try to do even after losing an important case for doing so. The only thing I feel for Heard at this stage is honestly pity, that she and her team continue to present themselves as being in complete denial of the entire case.

It would be incredibly unlikely to see Depp pursuing further legal actions regarding this case, outside of defending himself when sued. I get the feeling that even if he had lost most of his possessions he would still be happy that his children now know that their father isn't the monster that media portrayed him as.

If you think there is a desire for litigious activity against any platform that still supports Heard, after everything that was said and presented in the trial, I honestly don't think you understood what the case was truly about.

I could only hope that one day I could close the book on the things I've been through as neatly as Depp did. I could only hope that I could walk away from those memories and try to regain a fragment of the happiness I once had. I could only hope that not only I'd be able to find some happiness but the world would understand my pain, and help me heal. I can only, and ever, hope for such a thing. I can only and ever feel such things vicariously through what happened during this trial.

Now is a time for personal healing, not pursuing frivolous and petty lawsuits.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Thank you. I'm doing as well as I can be, I guess.

I know that not everyone can understand this because, thankfully, not everyone has gone through this but I think you don't understand what this case was about for Depp. He didn't sue the Sun because he was feeling litigious, he did because the world thought he was a monster and he wanted to set the record straight, he wanted to speak his truth. Suing the Sun just happened to be, at the time, the way his legal team thought he could do it best. Now I don't want to get into the weeds of whether I thought that case was fair or not. I want to bring things back around to the most recent case and what it meant for Depp.

He said it quite plainly and repeatedly, he just wanted to speak his truth, even if it meant showing the worst sides of him to society, having the world learn about private, intimate details of his life and relationships. He was willing to pay that price to be able to speak his truth and once it was all presented, once his team presented the final statements, that was enough for him. He didn't set foot in court again and he tried to go back to living his life.

He didn't hire a new PR firm to defend him or attack his former wife, he didn't try to land as many interviews as he could to speak up against the person that brought so much personal and professional harm.

I remember on Heard's last testimony, she emotionally begged Johnny to "leave her alone" and he did. As far as I'm aware he's been trying to avoid mentioning her directly. She continues to deny the ruling, any wrongdoing and attempts to defame him while at the same time victimizing herself for a situation that is, for the most part, of her own making.

I don't blame anyone for trying to move on with their lives and trying to preserve their careers, taking a person's livelihood away is akin to killing them, but I can't empathize with someone that did so once and continues to try to do even after losing an important case for doing so. The only thing I feel for Heard at this stage is honestly pity, that she and her team continue to present themselves as being in complete denial of the entire case.

It would be incredibly unlikely to see Depp pursuing further legal actions regarding this case, outside of defending himself when sued. I get the feeling that even if he had lost most of his possessions he would still be happy that his children now know that their father isn't the monster that media portrayed him as.

If you think there is a desire for litigious activity against any platform that still supports Heard, after everything that was said and presented in the trial, I honestly don't think you understood what the case was truly about.

I could only hope that one day I could close the book on the things I've been through as neatly as Depp did. I could only hope that I could walk away from those memories and try to regain a fragment of the happiness I once had. I could only hope that not only I'd be able to find some happiness but the world would understand my pain, and help me heal. I can only, and ever, hope for such a thing. I can only and ever feel such things vicariously through what happened during this trial.

Now is a time for personal healing, not pursuing frivolous and petty lawsuits.

I am more than aware that Depp more than likely is not interested in pursuing further law suits. However, I don't know if that is a rock solid basis to continue spewing shit you know has been found defamatory in court.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Amber Heard Getting Multi-Million Dollar Deal As Revenge Against Johnny Depp?

According to a report by OK! Magazine, the 36-year-old actress has just lined up a major book deal, one that could not only help repair her broken public image but also bring in millions in much-needed income.
Over the weekend, TMZ posted a video of Heard and her sister Whitney Henriquez shopping for clothes at discount chain TJ Maxx in Bridgehampton, New York, seemingly indicating her current financial situation has humbled her previously extravagant lifestyle.

Many have claimed that this is merely another PR move by Amber Heard, a staged photo-op to win sympathy.
A book deal could mean millions for Heard, who "considers her career in Hollywood over," according to an insider close to her,
Of course, writing a book – which would likely repeat many of the accusations she was sued over – could get her sued again.

www.giantfreakinrobot.com

Amber Heard Getting Multi-Million Dollar Deal As Revenge Against Johnny Depp?

Amber Heard may be down, but she is not out. Reports are coming in that the actress has landed a multi million dollar deal.

Can she be sue again is she lie in her book?

Status
Not open for further replies.