• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Vic voiced Broly in the DBS movie because he was still working with Funimation at the time. This release is the first time we've heard their recast for Broly.
Yeah, the attention brought by him voicing Broly in a movie that actually had some mainstream success is partially what managed to get the ball rolling with him being outed as a sex pest.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Nope most of the roles still sound the same for the most part IMO.

Are you at least up for agreeing that someone with more range should have been chosen? I have nothing against JYB(I actually think he's really good at performances), but in terms of range with every new character I continue to hear Nero, Ichigo, and Lelouch. If you feel the same way about Papenbrook it is what it is. Who would you have chosen instead of these two?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I like jyb but he sounds like a teenager. I can't stop hearing Ichigo or Nero's emo angst in him. He is good but he doesn't have range to play a different character archetype other than the attitude teen/adolescent he is known for.

Vic's newer broly always gave the impression that the character was powerful but being tortured by his power. His screams were demented and wild. He sounded mentally unstable as he fired mouth beams struggling to maintain. Almost like he was in pain. He seemed to finally perfect his broly in dbs:b rather than the typical broly we saw before (which was weak imo). When Vic's broly would talk, he gave it a very heavy but soft tone. It was quite charming and it made broly seem cute. Although jyb won't have the opportunity to voice dbs:b broly (I assume?) I would love to hear his take outside of combat screams over a longer period of time. Because that is what sold me on Vic's new broly.

There was a scene where some thug approached a table where broly and co. were eating and challenged him. The way Vic's broly responded... It was just so cool to hear how he struggled to keep himself from exploding right there. It was subtle, but very powerful. Mostly it was the animation of him shaking and his hair raising tho...

IMO.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually surprised by all the JYB praise. He's a good VA when it comes to the acting bit, but he has no range. Everything he does is very close to his normal everyday voice.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fine replacement. One screaming voice replaced with another.

We'll get a better representation if Super ever comes back.

Nov 21, 2017
Are you at least up for agreeing that someone with more range should have been chosen? I have nothing against JYB(I actually think he's really good at performances), but in terms of range with every new character I continue to hear Nero, Ichigo, and Lelouch. If you feel the same way about Papenbrook it is what it is. Who would you have chosen instead of these two?

I'm a fan of JYB but I personally would have gone with a new VA or someone outside the box similar to how they casted James Marsters for Zamasu. He is an actor that really isn't known for working in anime.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'm a fan of JYB but I personally would have gone with a new VA or someone outside the box similar to how they casted James Marsters for Zamasu. He is an actor that really isn't known for working in anime.

Marsters only got in because he personally went to Funi and requested to Sabat a role in Dragon Ball Super, he didn't care what the role was, to make up for DBE. Even though it's universally agreed that Marsters was the best thing in the entire movie.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's a good voice actor but he does not fit Broly at all from the clips I've seen. But hey at least Vic isnt getting paid so thats a plus.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the celebrations are more about Vic being out than JYB being in.
Not for me. I'm happy to see Funimation is not working with Vic but that's not news, that's been official since February I believe. I'm happy here specifically because the replacement is JYB, he's my favorite male voice actor and is not a frequent part of recent Funimation dubs from what I can see so it's always really cool to me when he's there (I was similarly happy when he joined the Funi simuldub of Black Clover earlier this year as well as when he joined the cast of One Piece recently).

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is what I feared, he sounds just like Nero from DMCV. JYB is a great performance VO but his range needs work.

I would have chosen Bryce Papenbrook instead.

His Meliodas from Seven Deadly Sins sounds a lot like Edward Elric(in case they ever want to replace FMA's VA) and he has a better range. Instead I fear everyone's taking the lazy way out in hiring JYB for all of Vic's work.
I understand being apprehensive about JYB's vocal range, but dude...Papenbrook is one of the worst voice actors in the industry.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like jyb but he sounds like a teenager. I can't stop hearing Ichigo or Nero's emo angst in him. He is good but he doesn't have range to play a different character archetype other than the attitude teen/adolescent he is known for.

Vic's newer broly always gave the impression that the character was powerful but being tortured by his power. His screams were demented and wild. He sounded mentally unstable as he fired mouth beams struggling to maintain. Almost like he was in pain. He seemed to finally perfect his broly in dbs:b rather than the typical broly we saw before (which was weak imo). When Vic's broly would talk, he gave it a very heavy but soft tone. It was quite charming and it made broly seem cute. Although jyb won't have the opportunity to voice dbs:b broly (I assume?) I would love to hear his take outside of combat screams over a longer period of time. Because that is what sold me on Vic's new broly.

There was a scene where some thug approached a table where broly and co. were eating and challenged him. The way Vic's broly responded... It was just so cool to hear how he struggled to keep himself from exploding right there. It was subtle, but very powerful. Mostly it was the animation of him shaking and his hair raising tho...

IMO.

Maybe dont come off as defending a sex pest that has admitted in a court of law to have assaulted other VAs and has no problem with having sex with children.

IMO

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe dont come off as defending a sex pest that has admitted in a court of law to have assaulted other VAs and has no problem with having sex with children.

IMO
So from that entire post-- that made no mention of Vic's background whatsoever btw-- that is all you got from that? Really??

Where in the world did I even hint about anything related to him being a "sex pest"? Why would I defend a sick fuck? Are you out of your fucking mind?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So from that entire post-- that made no mention of Vic's background whatsoever btw-- that is all you got from that? Really??

Where in the world did I even hint about anything related to him being a "sex pest"? Why would I defend a sick fuck? Are you out of your fucking mind?

Because in a topic about how he was replaced for good reasons your talking down his replacement while talking up his last performance with no mention of his crimes. Its basically the MO that his supporters have been using when they show up in the lawsuit topic.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Because in a topic about how he was replaced for good reasons your talking down his replacement while talking up his last performance with no mention of his crimes. Its basically the MO that his supporters have been using when they show up in the lawsuit topic.
No. That's not how it works. Because someone made no mention of his egregious actions, that does not mean they support it. My post was created to compare and contrast their voicework. We know he's a piece of shit already. There are plenty of people IN THIS THREAD that are also saying JYB doesnt fit broly. Does this mean they support Vic as well? Don't even answer that because I will for you: NO IT DOESNT.

You fucked up. You accused me of defending a sexual fucking predator. Again... Are you out of your fucking mind? Hellloooo???

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No. That's not how it works. Because someone made no mention of his egregious actions, that does not mean they support it. My post was created to compare and contrast their voicework. We know he's a piece of shit already. There are plenty of people IN THIS THREAD that are also saying JYB doesnt fit broly. Does this mean they support Vic as well? Don't even answer that because I will for you: NO IT DOESNT.

You fucked up. You accused me of defending a sexual fucking predator. Again... Are you out of your fucking mind? Hellloooo???

You only had nice words for a confessed sexual predator in a thread that deals with replacing him because he is a confessed sexual predator.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Vic voiced Broly in the DBS movie because he was still working with Funimation at the time. This release is the first time we've heard their recast for Broly.
Gotcha. That kind of sucks... Having consistently with the anime is nice, but I guess if they made the change elsewhere, they have to make it in the game too. Ah well. It isn't like Broly talks much anyways. lol

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually surprised by all the JYB praise. He's a good VA when it comes to the acting bit, but he has no range. Everything he does is very close to his normal everyday voice.
It helps that he's been in a ton of stuff I enjoy (Code Geass, Trigun, Gankutsuou, Eureka Seven, then like a dozen other things). He sounds similar, but the performances are typically good, and I just like his voice (same with Steve Blum and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn).

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am surprised this topic is getting so much attention, I have no issue with that. From what I know, the guy brought this on himself and deserves it. I just mean this seems to generate more activity than things like the character announcement trailer.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It helps that he's been in a ton of stuff I like (Code Geass, Trigun, Gankutsuou, Eureka Seven, then like a dozen other things). He sounds similar, but the performances are typically good, and I just like his voice (like Steve Blum).
This post basically nails it. Johnny Yong Bosch doesn't have the best range, but damn does he deliver with the actual performances.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
JYB isn't who I'd think of to replace now-disgraceful Vic as Broly. But... I think he can pull it off. He definitely can land emotion and struggle when he wants to. Serious Vash Moments Bosch should be good for Broly, and way better than a Renton Voice, lol. If they're not replace old Broly voice, it'll be fun to have the old less-liked Broly voice able to fight the new, more liked, hopefully even better voicework.

I definitely enjoy his performances, and am happy to have him as an important role of English DBZ, for now.

Anyone know how Chuck Huber fared after stupidly siding with Vic, too? HIs Stein, Android 17, and Hiei are roles I think I have even a harder time thinking of a replacement for. It'd be nice if he reconciled, corrected, and apologized where it was needed... but I never heard if such happened.

Oct 25, 2017

IMO.
This is pretty much how I feel about the voices. I feel Vic did Nu Broly better than the original even, so for everything to turn out so shit regarding him as a person kinda sucks. That being said, nu Broly is effectively an entirely different character, so a new VA is easier to understand (though i would've preferred Vic got kicked before Broly for VA consistency).

I just don't like JYB's delivery, though. He sounds like Eric Vale in this role, but with less raspiness than Trunks, when IMO he should be extremely gritty, especially in his screams. Shimada as Broly is so noteworthy because despite the high voice, his yells have a sociopathic grit to them that perfect his delivery, and JYB is missing that.

I don't know who I'd choose to do Broly if put on the spot, but the best example i can think of is Matt Mercer's Jotaro. His yells are perfect, and if he could just raise/quiet down the speaking voice a bit, i think he'd nail the role.

Edit: After hearing Mercer as Levi from AoT and Skelter from NMH, he could definitely do a great Broly by combining his delivery from the three aforementioned roles.

Last edited:

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how Chuck Huber fared after stupidly siding with Vic, too? HIs Stein, Android 17, and Hiei are roles I think I have even a harder time thinking of a replacement for. It'd be nice if he reconciled, corrected, and apologized where it was needed... but I never heard if such happened.
There was a whole Huber saga in the Vig thread about a month or two ago. Basically he's a "both sides!" idiot who burned bridges with his affidavit.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
CSBkNWR.gif

KAKAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

Now there's this person on Twitter saying JYB did sketchy stuff like claiming "one of the female hosts who worked with him on the old Anime TV podcast/webshow he hosted complained how he would make her wear short skirts/revealing outfits to bring in views even though she didnt want to."

Of course he has no sources on such claims and JYB quickly responded. I hate this type of behavior.