• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Anyone know how Chuck Huber fared after stupidly siding with Vic, too? HIs Stein, Android 17, and Hiei are roles I think I have even a harder time thinking of a replacement for. It'd be nice if he reconciled, corrected, and apologized where it was needed... but I never heard if such happened.

I imagine we would've heard something by now if FUNi cut ties with him, although it's possible they may just quietly let him go. (As in, just simply not contact him for any roles.)

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Now there's this person on Twitter saying JYB did sketchy stuff like claiming "one of the female hosts who worked with him on the old Anime TV podcast/webshow he hosted complained how he would make her wear short skirts/revealing outfits to bring in views even though she didnt want to."

Of course he has no sources on such claims and JYB quickly responded. I hate this type of behavior.
Why even post this?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Most likely scenario is that they'll keep him around for the roles he already has, but not give him anything new. But who knows...

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand

Now there's this person on Twitter saying JYB did sketchy stuff like claiming "one of the female hosts who worked with him on the old Anime TV podcast/webshow he hosted complained how he would make her wear short skirts/revealing outfits to bring in views even though she didnt want to."

Of course he has no sources on such claims and JYB quickly responded. I hate this type of behavior.
Uh yeah, if you want to trust self-proclaimed Social Justice Boogeyman account created September 2019, you do you

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
This is assuming Huber doesn't just quit. It sure didn't sound like he liked working for Funimation.

Assuming my "quietly letting him go" theory isn't happening as we speak, his recent Twitter activity gave me the impression he was still around. (Of course, given how oblivious he's been with "both sides" approach -- not the least in how he feared Sabat's "retaliation" as opposed to, y'know, maybe recognizing siding with a SLAPP suit against your contractor isn't the best idea -- it wouldn't surprise me if he was the none the wiser.)

Regardless, after the stunt he pulled with his affidavit, I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable with FUNi contracting him for future projects -- why associate with someone who raised unsubstantiated scandals against your corporation? (At the very least, I can't imagine him and Chris Sabat being on amicable terms anymore.)

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Upgrade

And the games typically have much weaker performances than the actual anime and movies, so I'm really excited to hear him in one of those.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

Yes that first clip sounds great. Almost like the jp dubbing. The second one sounds like Nero screaming. Maybe he just has to settle into the role a bit?

And the games typically have much weaker performances than the actual anime and movies, so I'm really excited to hear him in one of those.

That's what I said earlier. I would love to hear him in the anime/movies in general conversation. That will be the deciding factor.

Oct 25, 2017
After hearing more, still not a big fan of JYB here, though I'd LOVE for him to replace young Gohan over Colleen Clinkenbeard tbh.

The following clip is probably the perfect example of what I'd want from Broly over JYB's performance. Mercer perfectly captures the same wild yet cold energy with Levi, probably better than Vic did as Broly.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
I think JYB sounds way better, honestly. His voice and tone fit his character perfectly. Nailed the screams.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Idk fuck all about anime but I know this guy is the voice of Haruo in Hi-Score Girl and really enjoyed him in that.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
People hear this and unironically think this sounds better?

Broly's like 40.

I mean it's closer to the japanese dub, where Goku, also 40ish, sounds like he's 14.

And honestly, it's hard to gauge what would actually be better when you're taking a lot of screams from a different project with different direction and just overlay them as best you can, often repeating the same scream over and over.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I'm not feeling JYB as Broly. All I hear is Nero screaming. JYB sounds too "young" for Broly if that makes sense, or his voice is too high

Love him as Zero and everybody else though. Just not my cup of tea for this particular character. I'd have preferred someone deeper like Liam O' Brien or something.

But kudos to JYB for snagging the role though

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
After hearing more, still not a big fan of JYB here, though I'd LOVE for him to replace young Gohan over Colleen Clinkenbeard tbh.

The following clip is probably the perfect example of what I'd want from Broly over JYB's performance. Mercer perfectly captures the same wild yet cold energy with Levi, probably better than Vic did as Broly.

Thing is Mercer is already playing Hit.

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
Don't have much history with Vic's Broly besides DBS: Broly and FighterZ and I only watched the original Broly films like once, but JYB isn't bad. I find him actually good even though all I hear is Nero. I feel like once he's given more time with lines like actual dialogue, and work on his yells a bit, he'll be great. Looking forward to his future work as Broly.

Oct 25, 2017
Johnny Yong Bosch is 43.
JYB's career is being able to do different voices, so it makes sense for him to sound off-age. That would be a good excuse if he was just doing his own talking/screaming voice for Broly.
Thing is Mercer is already playing Hit.
Sabat plays like a quarter of Z, Clinkenbeard plays every child that isn't Trunks, and Vic himself played Burter as well as Broly. DB is absolutely not new to overlapping roles.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
hearing that a character sounds too young in a dragonball thread is sending my head into a spin

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I'm reminded when people had the same complaint about Dante Basco's character in the Legend of Korra. Despite it pretty much just being his normal speaking voice.
Dante Basco is even the same age as Johnny Yong Bosch, making him an even better example of "grown ass man sounds 13 his whole life"

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
JYB's career is being able to do different voices, so it makes sense for him to sound off-age. That would be a good excuse if he was just doing his own talking/screaming voice for Broly.
That's just how he sounds when he yells, most of hid yells don't sound overly young anyways, watch the edit I posted. LIsten to his base form dialogue as well, he's not doing a younger voice.
Also a Saiyan that is 60 is physically no older than a Saiyan that is 20, just sayin'.

Last edited:

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Sabat plays like a quarter of Z, Clinkenbeard plays every child that isn't Trunks, and Vic himself played Burter as well as Broly. DB is absolutely not new to overlapping roles.

A lot of the early double casting was the result of Funimation, at the time, working with a limited pool of actors. That's a practice they don't really follow nearly as much any more, at least not with major named characters.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
A lot of the early double casting was the result of Funimation, at the time, working with a limited pool of actors. That's a practice they don't really follow nearly as much any more, at least not with major named characters.
i'm honestly surprised that Sabat stuck with Yamcha once Kai rolled around, he never seemed as attached to the role as he was with Geets or Piccolo

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Upgrade. And no one in DB sounds their age. Goku and Vegeta are what, 50 something? And in-canon, Saiyans barely age. We know this.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
People hear this and unironically think this sounds better?

Broly's like 40.
Goku sounds like a fucking child in japanese they litterally just resigned the whole series to make everyone seem thinner and younger and the saiyans them selves in lore stop aging after a point untill like 70 so they can fight better

Yes, it sounds better

No one cares broly is 40, the people making the series certainly dont

Oct 25, 2017
Reading is hard to some people.

After playing the game (and honestly you drown out a lot of yelling anyway), I don't actually have much issue with the voice as I did from isolated clips, but it definitely sounds out of place to me still if I pay any attention to it at all. I still think Vic did Broly better (not defending him, just saying he was a good VA, despite being a shit person), but there's still hope for JYB to grow into the role by the time Super recaps Broly, if it ever does (half of it being DB- and most of it being one battle with almost zero lore attached to it makes me doubt that), or at least just reintroduces him. My dreams of Mercer dubbing Broly instead will never come true, however.