• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
jojo_rabbit.jpg

Fuck it. I've waited long enough for it to come to a theatre near me and had to drive all the way to downtown just to watch it. May as well do this now.

Seriously, what is this about?

It's better to go through with it with as little information as possible. But what I can tell you is that it stars a boy named Roman Griffin Davis as Jojo who was nicknamed Jojo Rabbit. Oh and that his imaginary friend is Hitler. Played by the director himself?

Wait... what?

Yes, that title is completely true. Like I said, it would be best if you see the performance yourself to judge.

Who else is in this movie?
We have some fairly well-known names such as Scarlet Johansson, Rebel Wilson and Sam Rockwell as well as newer talent such as Thomasin McKenzie. It's a well-casted movie... which is atypical of a Waititi film.

Is it good?
Controversial figure aside, it's been getting general praise from most critics.

Hmm... I'm still not convinced. Just gimmie the trailers.

Sigh, as you wish.

When is it coming to a theater near me?
The fuck if I know. I only went in because I was tired of waiting for the local theatre to play it. Sorry kino lovers, but you may have to travel longer than usual to see this one. It's already out in select theaters in the US and New Zealand. Europe is getting punished for its transgressions and will have to wait until January for a wide release. So to make our European brethren more welcome, you should mark spoilers until mid-January.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Luckily was in nyc this past weekend and caught it. Great movie, laughed my ass off and Scarlett especially was incredible

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Saw it a few days ago with my wife, we both enjoyed it but I wouldn't necessarily care to watch it again.

Some really good, witty quips that got the whole audience laughing heartily at least a couple times. But man, it's honestly a lot more sincere and dramatic than I was expecting. All earned, for sure... but just, definitely a harder watch than what it advertises at times. The 20 minutes before the last 20 minutes were kind of a slog and that pacing hurt it a lot for me.

Also - I had an impression this was shot on a tight budget - but maybe I was wrong; the set design is really good. Later in the film, there are some camera movements and set designs that seem they could be right out of a high budget war film.

Totally, totally different film with a different message and tone. But in a lot of ways, it reminded me of Moonrise Kingdom. Somewhat similar humor even if the topic at hand was completely different. Some similar jokes. Some similar gags. I liked Moonrise Kingodm a LOT more, but that's the kinda humor and "child vantage point" you can kind of expect.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
It's not often that a movie single handedly restores ones faith in the common decency of mankind.

This is easily my favorite film in decades. The way it is able to balance such impactful story beats and emotional highs and lows is just masterful. This is all complimented by just how relevant the themes and topics are to our modern world.

if anyone has any interest whatsoever in seeing this movie I cannot recommend it highly enough. Take whatever chance you can get to go and see it. You will not regret it.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it. What a wonderful movie. The comedy always lands, the satire is vicious, and the moment when the movie drops the hard drama it works really well.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Another work of art from Taika Waititi. I laughed, and I cried... amazing. He is easily the most consistent director working today.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it today and it is now without a doubt my favorite movie of 2019. It's a brilliant lighthearted comedy with Taika's signature humor...until it isn't. There's a scene (you know the one if you've seen it) that causes a real tonal shift in the movie and it made my heart sink.

The whole cast is wonderful. The two main kids, Sam Rockwell, ScarJo, Thomasin MacKenzie...everyone did a great job. I normally don't care for ScarJo in most of her roles these days but she gives a really charismatic performance in a way I've never seen from her before.

Also, this quote at the very end really hit home:

Let everything happen to you.
Beauty and terror.
Just keep going.
No feeling is final.

Just a fantastic movie. We really don't deserve Taika Waititi.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I saw this a week and a half ago. I'm surprised the reviews seem lukewarm and it's not getting much buzz, I enjoyed it more than Knives Out and Ford vs. Ferrari. Pretty much all of the jokes land, the story manages to be both hilarious and heartwarming, the child actors in this are pretty incredible for child actors, has really good themes about fascism, family, and growing up. Definitely my favorite Taika movie.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it today and it is now without a doubt my favorite movie of 2019. It's a brilliant lighthearted comedy with Taika's signature humor...until it isn't. There's a scene (you know the one if you've seen it) that causes a real tonal shift in the movie and it made my heart sink.

The whole cast is wonderful. The two main kids, Sam Rockwell, ScarJo, Thomasin MacKenzie...everyone did a great job. I normally don't care for ScarJo in most of her roles these days but she gives a really charismatic performance in a way I've never seen from her before.

Also, this quote at the very end really hit home:

Let everything happen to you.
Beauty and terror.
Just keep going.
No feeling is final.

Just a fantastic movie. We really don't deserve Taika Waititi.
I can't argue with any of this, just saw it at a preview screening in Australia and I thought it felt like a perfect Taika movie, probably most similar to Boy in tonal trajectory.

PS.
German shepherds. Holy shit.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I liked the movie for the most part. I think there was a thread about it, too.

It had its ups and downs, lots of comedy, satire, sadness.

Quite the bipolar event. It felt like me IRL.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the movie for the most part. I think there was a thread about it, too.

It had its ups and downs, lots of comedy, satire, sadness.

Quite the bipolar event. It felt like me IRL.
That's very much a Taika thing. Go see Boy if you kind of enjoyed going along for the ride, it follows a similar trajectory.

Satire?
bubbles-movie-cancelled.jpg

a851956d6235baf7c8780c2f5eebd6e81280939e

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
This only opened here on Boxing Day and I've rarely felt so touched by a film, it's just so earnest in its portrayal of what are truly dark moments but the message is one of hope.

Fuck it's just so good, I feel like any other storyteller would've come off as patronizing or insincere and yet somehow they made it work.

It'll still with me for years to come, tops of my favorite film of the year and may stand up to the best of the decade too.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
I saw the trailer a few weeks ago and was instantly sold.

It's opening here (UK) on January 1.

I booked my tickets for the day after.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
the last like ten minutes of this movie are so good. the final scene with hitler rules

it's so crazy that larger and larger studios are giving taika money to just be taika

also i'm not a scarlett johansson fan at all but she was really, really good

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
So i saw this and little women today and loved both. When i went to see this though there were loads of kids coming in to see it and i really didnt know what to expect but i think both adults and kids alike really liked it from the reactions during the movie. in fact the lad sitting next to me (13/14 year old) literally exclaimed oh my god when
jojo found his mam hanged.
which sort of made me chuckle.

Great movie and definitely one i want to watch again.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, what a fantastic movie!

The jokes landed so so perfectly, and at the same time the drama was handled just as well.

That quote at the end was a very nice touch.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
What an amazing film. Funny and emotional at the same time. I had noticed the focus on the feet but didn't really give it any thought then that moment, wow.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Finally out in the UK - was looking forward to seeing a review from Mark Kermode, instead I get this fucking prat;

Stay to the 9:50 mark to see a grown man show a woman what he really thinks about them.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally out in the UK - was looking forward to seeing a review from Mark Kermode, instead I get this fucking prat;

Stay to the 9:50 mark to see a grown man show a woman what he really thinks about them.

"The movie is broken because it is told from X perspective"

"Actually that's false, it is told entirely from Y perspective"

"BLUHBLUHBLUHBLUHBLUH"

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

God what a shithead. I've always stuck to Kermode's reviews anyway. I'm not really interested in hearing from inferior reviewers. Especially someone who would behave like a manchild while panning a wonderful film like Jojo Rabbit.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

Wow. At least the ratio is kinda working. 300ish upvotes, 600ish down.

Also, that man is absolutely fucking horrible. He's like the opposite of Hbomberguy.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
That part of the review where he lalalas over the other presenter because she's offering a different view is terrible. Hopefully he apologises, what a child.

Oct 27, 2017

Ridiculous. The point of the film is that these people are doubling down on an ideology that's obviously failed them. The kid rejects it at the end and grows as a person. I don't get how a professional film critic can fail to see that.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. At least the ratio is kinda working. 300ish upvotes, 600ish down.

Also, that man is absolutely fucking horrible. He's like the opposite of Hbomberguy.

Is Kermode on vacation? That's the second review of a recently released controversial film by this guy (no points for guessing what the other one was) that i've seen on Kermode & Mayo and both times I thoroughly disagreed with his take. I don't always agree with Kermode either, but at least I can appreciate his viewpoints and he doesn't come across as an insufferable twat.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Is Kermode on vacation? That's the second review of a recently released controversial film by this guy (no points for guessing what the other one was) that i've seen on Kermode & Mayo and both times I thoroughly disagreed with his take. I don't always agree with Kermode either, but at least I can appreciate his viewpoints and he doesn't come across as an insufferable twat.
assume so with christmas. it's weird how they'll occasionally double up on reviews.
also they should go get clarisse loughrey to cover for kermode, she's good and not a twat.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Seems so, given the holidays. Sorry if I derailed a bit earlier, the review riled me up something awful.

It seems like he was expecting Schindler's List and was angry when it challenged his expectations.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
...you'd think this guy would know what he's getting onto when watching a Wahiti film.
Seems so, given the holidays. Sorry if I derailed a bit earlier, the review riled me up something awful.

It seems like he was expecting Schindler's List and was angry when it challenged his expectations.
I went in the opposite, expecting a whimsical movie. So I didn't see those somber parts coming. Still a great film.

Didn't even know Scarlett got hanged until I saw the full body and that was when it hit me like a rock. This movie has a lot of that stuff.

Also got slapped when Hitler started to actually act like Hitler. Which was also why I can see how some of the tone can be jagged. Still, the depiction of Germans as idiots is intentional. See the theory of laughing at Nazis doing more damage to their reputation than fearing them. Also what that woman said in that video.

Scarlett Johansson has gotten a lot of credit on this thread, but Thamasin should get her due too. She did phenomenally in her role. Can't wait for someone to gif that "Superior Race" moment. What a badass.

Overall, it's definitely one of my favorite movies of 2019.

Also, I'll allow open spoilers on January 23rd (when Germany finally gets to see the film).

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also got slapped when Hitler started to actually act like Hitler. Which was also why I can see how some of the tone can be jagged.
I adore that part. The silly goofball imaginary friend Adolf is not truly caricature of the actual Hitler, he's a caricature of the sanitized family-friendly version of hateful ideology that reeled in Jojo. And the moments where Adolf starts to mimic the actual Adolf Hitler's screaming hateful tone are the mask finally coming off.

So much "satire" is sanitized. It focuses on the voice, the appearance, and the mannerisms until the actual point is lost. "Hitler being a silly imaginary friend who talks in a funny voice" on its own is not satire. But Hitler being a silly imaginary friend who talks in a funny voice to an zealous 10 year old Nazi who gets shoved into the reality of how horrible the ideology is? That's damn good satire.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017
Yeah he'll be back on Friday.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Movie is really great. One of the rare cases where the movie/adaptation of the book (Caging Skies) transforms it into something in my opinion far greater.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard I cried in a cinema, but the
German Shepherd
joke was so incredibly well delivered that it completely caught me by surprise. I couldn't stop laughing for the following scene.

Great movie. First 10 minutes were amazing, the following 20 felt a little iffy, but when it kicked into gear it nailed it.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
Saw this yesterday. Absolutely amazing film. It has the surreal humour of waikiti films but with a harder edge befitting the subject matter.

Deadman

Oct 29, 2017
Just saw it and loved it. I thought it did a great job of blending funny moments with the sad/harrowing ones.

The sudden reveal of his mother hanging was a gut punch. The woman I was sat next to started crying after that and didnt stop until the end of the film.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it and loved it. I thought it did a great job of blending funny moments with the sad/harrowing ones.

The sudden reveal of his mother hanging was a gut punch. The woman I was sat next to started crying after that and didnt stop until the end of the film.

Just watched the movie and yeah. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Incredible scene that had me choked up until the credits rolled.

Great film, perfect ending. Loved it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This is absolutely my favorite film of 2019. I find it utterly brilliant and it made me feel every single emotion imaginable while being incredibly tasteful and meaningful. I can't sing it's praises enough.