• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Johnny must really be a shit bag.
Y'know when you meet a person with a lot of potential if only they sort of their own issues... but they don't, or they do improve a little but stop halfway? that's Johnny
No, SBR's Dio(Diego Brando) is a hell of a cool character while still being a shitbag like his original iteration, he got massively improved. Johnny wished he was Dio lol

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Johnny is a terrible person, but he's really compelling terrible person.

Selfish, Amoral, self serving and in a lot of ways Apathetic.

Which makes him a really good juxtaposition to the Pure Hero of a man that is Gyro.

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know when you meet a person with a lot of potential if only they sort of their own issues... but they don't, or they do improve a little but stop halfway? that's Johnny

No, SBR's Dio(Diego Brando) is a hell of a cool character while still being a shitbag like his original iteration, he got massively improved. Johnny wished he was Dio lol
I actually sort of am that person, so is my dad, so yeah I guess. I'm flawed, but I usually try not to be a shit bag, I guess Johnny doesn't even make that effort. If Johnny is a worse character than the Dio of the story then he must be really bad.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't call Johnny a worse person than Diego.

He's not a good person, but Diego's a fucking piece of shit.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Johnny is a terrible person, but he's a really compelling terrible person.

Selfish, Amoral, self serving and in a lot of ways Apathetic.

Which makes him a really good juxtaposition to the Pure Hero of a man that is Gyro.
I wouldn't say "compelling" but I understand he's realistic, my interest for him gradually wore off as soon as I got frustrated by his progression, but I also understand that the guy has A LOT going on and he won't solve his problems in just a magical roadtrip, it hurts because his journey is sort of too real, he only went through the first step: understanding that his life has a meaning and a value...and honestly, looking back this is a HELL of an improvement for a guy that grew up like him

I actually sort of am that person, so is my dad, so yeah I guess. I'm flawed, but I usually try not to be a shit bag, I guess Johnny doesn't even make that effort. If Johnny is a worse character than the Dio of the story then he must be really bad.
I wouldn't call Johnny a worse person than Diego.

He's not a good person, but Diego's a fucking piece of shit.
I've worded it poorly, Dio has a lot of charisma even thou he's a pile of crap, and so has Diego, Johnny really tries to improve himself in some ways, but, what is frustrating about him is that he seems stuck in place for a pretty long while, it's frustrating, and for some people that got into similar kinds of struggle it can be a pretty painful read.

I had a friend in that condition finishing SBR this week and he got real sad at the ending because he felt it accomplished close to nothing. When it's not really about accomplishment, but that's sorta what he needed at the time lol

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really getting the feeling that I have to read him for myself. Is Diego less of a piece of shit than Anansui or at least more likable?
Less than Anasui, he gets what he wants and he got good reasons to behave that way, I see him as what Giorno would be if the gangster didnt help him, Diego had a good mom, though

He's more likeable, but I'd say about equal in his evil.
Anasui disassembled a person because of jealousy bro. Idk if Diego would do that...I see him stopping at killing idk lol

Oct 25, 2017
He's more likeable, but I'd say about equal in his evil.
I don't mind evil shitty people as long as they're fun to read or I can put some thought behind them. I like Griffith from Berserk of all people so it should be fine.
Less than Anasui, he gets what he wants and he got good reasons to behave that way, I see him as what Giorno would be if the gangster didnt help him

Anasui disassembled a person because of jealousy bro. Idk if Diego would do that...I see him stopping at killing idk lol
So pretty much Diego is like one of Giorno's shitty brothers?

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
But that's why a lot of folks call Johnny the best Joestar.

Cause he's the realest it's ever been. Magic stand journeys arne't gonna fix an utterly fucked person like him.

I hate Johnny, and at the same time utterly appreciate who he is.

It's why I can equally say he's the best Joestar, while also being right at the fucking bottom of my tier list, forever

Last edited:

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017

Diego would totally do some utterly fucked stuff to people if he felt compelled to, hell he does it quite a lot. His reasons are just very different from Annasui.

I still remember what he did to that one guy just doing his job.

OP
OP
Matsukaze

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Any Part 7 anime OT is going to have a surging back-and-forth between praise and scorn for Johnny.

Gyro, by comparison, is going to be floating in a sea of love.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind evil shitty people as long as they're fun to read or I can put some thought behind them. I like Griffith from Berserk of all people so it should be fine.

So pretty much Diego is like one of Giorno's shitty brothers?
If you don't mind whiny you'll be fine with Johnny, and I'd put Diego a bit above Giorno's shitty brothers, it's like araki got Dio and actually explained his motivations lol

I hate Johnny, and at the same time utterly appreciate who he is.

It's why I can equally say he's the bets Joestar, while also being right at the fuckign bottom of my tier list, forever
Yeah, I can relate to that LOL, he's frustrating, an awful person, but wonderfully written(at the expense of a lot of good potential secondary characters because the part was not about them >:( )
Diego would totally do some utterly fucked stuff to people if he felt compelled to, hell he does it quite a lot. His reasons are just very different from Annasui.

I still remember what he did to that one guy just doing his job.
Ok, ok, but he's
SO
DAMN
COOL

and i love his stand, it's so fun!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Johnny to me is a remix of Johnathan (like, duh) in that instead of being a noble selfless paragon from birth to death, whose worst act was having shoddy table manners he's kind of a selfish jerk who grows into a hero. I think his motives being selfish make him pretty interesting from a Jojo perspective, compared to other heroes especially with the ambiguity as to whether Valentine is doing something "right" in the end despite all his despicable methods.

And the story kind of shows why he is the way he is- his family treated him like shit. It's through meeting gyro, someone that respects him and pushes him to grow that he develops.

And Diego.... Like sure he wasn't a piece of shit/pure evil like original dio and he had a crappy upbringing but the man was a straight up misanthrope

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It takes a real piece of shit to go "I believe you 100 percent, BUT I NEED TO BELIEVE YOU 1 PERCENT MORE"

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I am rereading Part 6 and the opening arc is weird and it's going to be interesting to see how pepole react (the hallucination stuff is going to get people really trippy)

Oh boy the Hurting Itself Stand is going to rustle some jimmies

Last edited:

Ebrietas-

Mar 2, 2019
I don't know who's hat came first. His or Mizaistom's from HxH.

Weather is a decade older. Togashi created Mizaistom in 2011.

Johnny must really be a shit bag.

Nah people are overstating lol. He is nowhere near people like diego , annasui etc though he does have the highest kill count out of all jojos by far

Him not becoming a noble hero is the whole point. He was supposed to be the antithesis of jonathan. He is a guy who lost everything in his life and is just trying to get to the zero point/the beggining line. Whether he becomes a good person / what he does with his life afterwards is meaningless becase that's not the point of his story. He is kinda like Shinji Ikari of Jojo lol

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

Nah people are overstating lol. He is nowhere near people like diego , annasui etc though he does have the highest kill count out of all jojos by far

Him not becoming a noble hero is the whole point. He was supposed to be the antithesis of jonathan. He is a guy who lost everything in his life and is just trying to get to the zero point/the beggining line. Whether he becomes a good person / what he does with his life afterwards is meaningless becase that's not the point of his story. He is kinda like Shinji Ikari of Jojo lol
I mean Jolyne Kujo isn't really all that noble either.I am reading Part 6 and while likeable she starts off as a bit of a dick

Ebrietas-

Mar 2, 2019
I mean Jolyne Kujo isn't really all that noble either.I am reading Part 6 and while likeable she starts off as a bit of a dick

Yeah but by the end of the part she becomes a hero trying to save the world. Johnny's entire character motivation is to just walk again and start over a new life. He doesn't give a shit about anyone else except for gyro lol

Oct 25, 2017
Wes/Weather's? That's his hair :x
How the fuck is that hair?!!

Thanks for the clarification of that hat thing. HxH is old as hell, but at the same time there isn't as much as there should be of it. Jojo is old and we all know both shows seems to inspire each others bullshit a bit so sometimes I have no idea which came first. I actually like Shinji Ikari, dude's not even on my hated characters list since I can actually identify with him regarding some things.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I have a feeling pepole are going to be harsh on Part 6.l have conflicting feelings on it so it's going to be interesting

Ebrietas-

Mar 2, 2019

Thanks for the clarification of that hat thing. HxH is old as hell, but at the same time there isn't as much as there should be of it. Jojo is old and we all know both shows seems to inspire each others bullshit a bit so sometimes I have no idea which came first. I actually like Shinji Ikari, dude's not even on my hated characters list since I can actually identify with him regarding some things.

I really like shinji too. Never understood the "get in the robot" meme and crybaby complaints. Johnny is also a top 3 joestar for me.

I have a feeling pepole are going to be harsh on Part 6.l have conflicting feelings on it so it's going to be interesting

Jolyne and Pucci are great but Araki's stand battle formula started to get really tiring with part 6. Probably also why he went in a completely different direction with part 7

Oct 25, 2017
I really like shinji too. Never understood the "get in the robot" meme and crybaby complaints. Johnny is also a top 3 joestar for me.
My top three are Giorno, Jolyne and Josuke. I think Josuke used to be top 2 till Giorno. There's just something about that golden donut headed bullshit machine who is the son of god that makes him my favorite, I guess it's the subtext. You can have two very different opinions on him depending on what you want from your Jojo and how much subtext you take in. People just want non whiny badasses in their stories, Shinji is very human in his portrayal.

GlassEmpires

Dec 10, 2018
the first jojo op throws the longest foreshadow to part 7's johnny i love it

top 3 jojo's of mine are jonathan, johnny, and jolyne in no specific order

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

Weather's hat was inspired by Jamiroquai afaik...
This Lucy stuff gets worse
lucy's character got butchered to a point i have a hard time remembering her because of how much shit the last arc did to her

Her whole character arc of going from whiny/dick to badass hero is why i feel like she's the best jojo tbh(not my favorite, that goes for Giorno, but she's second on that list lol)

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Ranking my favorite Jojos is hard. Off the top of my head, my top 3 is probably:

1. Joseph
2. Jotaro
3. Josuke

But at the same time, I really like Gappy, but its not easy to rank him since Part 8 isn't over yet.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
SBR is incredible but... yeah. It's basically a microcosm of the complaints about female representation in JoJo, and they're all completely deserved with the handling of characters like Lucy and Scarlet Valentine.
Having this right after the best saga for female representation makes it so much worse...

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best JoJos for me are still Joseph and Josuke. Don't really know who would be om third.

I don't like stoic characters so Jotaro and Giorno are bottom of the list for me.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jolyne, Jotaro, Jonathan

Gappy probably gets up to #2, left him off since Jojolion's still a work in progress

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Giorno is more calm and collected than stoic to be honest. He's got a poker face, but he's not Part 3 Jotaro stoic.
He isn't as stoic as Jotaro, but he's still too much for my liking. Also not a fan of his brand of bullshit. But to be clear it's not like I hate him, just because I don't rank him highly as a JoJo, doesn't mean I don't think he's better than a whole lot of other anime/manga protags around.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
He isn't as stoic as Jotaro, but he's still too much for my liking. Also not a fan of his brand of bullshit. But to be clear it's not like I hate him, just because I don't rank him highly as a JoJo, doesn't mean I don't think he's better than a whole lot of other anime/manga protags around.
He's not as stoic but he's still a bit serious, I can see why someone that likes Joseph and Josuke better wouldn't like him, Giorno is allowed very few scenes to be a dork, like the bread and the lighter thing lol I wished there was more but he was too busy trying to make a good first impression xD

I don't remember, have you read Jojolion? You seem like you'd like Gappy, he's still serious but he does a lot of silly stuff

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's not as stoic but he's still a bit serious, I can see why someone that likes Joseph and Josuke better wouldn't like him, Giorno is allowed very few scenes to be a dork, like the bread and the lighter thing lol I wished there was more but he was too busy trying to make a good first impression xD

I don't remember, have you read Jojolion? You seem like you'd like Gappy, he's still serious but he does a lot of silly stuff
Yeah I'm reading it. I do like Gappy, but I still would rather wait for the part to finish before settling my thoughts on him.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Fair enough, I adored Gappy from the beginning and he only got better since but I have no idea of how he'll end xD(I hope it's good x_x)