• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
JoJo fans, whats considered best? Watching the anime or reading the manga?
I'm on episode 4 on Crunchyroll and holy shit what have I done. Can't wait to see where this is going!

Rocha

Jul 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm on episode 4 on Crunchyroll and holy shit what have I done. Can't wait to see where this is going!
I would recommend watching the anime up until the latest adapted part (part 5) and if want more of your jojo fix read the other parts (6,7,8).
There aren't much differences between the manga and the anime, but jojo is the kind of series that really benefits from animated form, especially from part 4 onwards where David Productions (the studio animating jojo) found their own esthetic vision regarding the series.

*One cool aspect of reading the manga is seeing how Araki gradually improves his art style and finds his own voice as a creator, jojo started in 1987 and continues to be published to this day.
*It's also important noting that if you find the black and white manga too difficult to read there's also an digital coloured version of all parts.

Last edited:

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
After a short hiatus from Jojo, I finally had time to catch up before the finale! Some thoughts:

Green Day and Oasis
-Secco and Ciaccolata were voiced PERFECTLY. As hammy and wacky as I wanted him to be. Secco's laugh is amazing.
-The Green Day fight was amazingly adapted. The beatdown is exactly as I had imagined reading it. I kind of wanted it to be longer than a minute, I can't complain to much about what the anime staff has to prioritize.
-The Oasis fight was okay. Some brilliant moments of tension and sakuga sprinkled in between but I thought they kind of rushed the ending. Strange that they didn't blare the OST like they usually do. Would've helped build up into Bruno's 200 iq plan.

Polnareff and Diavolo's backstory
-I LOVE the added material. They added in gaps of Diavolo's rise to power that I thought was sorely missing from the manga. Seeing Diavolo's perspective on how he slowly recruited people and positioning subordinates in the police force and government was much appreciated.
-The implication that POLNAREFF was the one that further drove Diavolo into his current state of paranoia was BRILLIANT. It's small things like that and the added scenes of Giorno from the beginning that tie elements of story together and make things muuuuch more coherent and less cobbled together for the story's sake than it seemed in my initial reading of the manga.

It's around this episode that I started ask myself why I came off the manga so sour (despite enjoying most of it). So far, I REALLY loved how they adapted this and handled aspects of it that I personally thought were weak points of the manga. The fights were amazing, the animation wasn't melting around this point like it did with previous parts, the cast was brilliant, and I actually LOVE how much life the voice actor of Giorno gave to the character. Why wasn't this one of my favourite parts? Barring some complaints, it had nearly everything I wanted out of Jojo. And then I started the Silver Chariot Requiem and Diavolo episodes...

giphy.webp

Eeeeeeeeeeh. Everything about how I felt when I read it just came flooding back to me. It still feels sloppy and slapped together, maybe even worse for the anime format, considering there are aspects that were very obviously better meant to be read than shown in real time. Kudos to the actors having fun trying to imitate each other's inflections and tone lol. I'm gonna save the critique for later and keep it short, since I don't want to be a debbie downer leading up to the finale. Speaking of which, THAT is something I'm curious about. I REALLY hope they add more material since that's something that almost all Jojo and part 5 fans can agree on, but we'll see.

I will say, Narancia and Bruno's death were done BEAUTIFULLY. I didn't expect the cameo from Fugo, and that bird/aeorsmith shadow was a touching detail. Bruno's death OST was heartbreaking, and the actor did a fantastic job.
maxresdefault.jpg

Also, I feel really bad for doing it, but did anyone else chuckle when the random angelic babies just popped out of nowhere? That's the sincere type of over the top drama and romanticism that I LOVE from Jojo lol

Also
Siv0Y7Sm.png

ConfusedSourFlatfish-max-1mb.gif

Edit: Bonus points for keeping the shitty Iggy drawing rofl
PYLiN7y.png

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Anime is perfect aside from part 3 where it drags a bit, part 4 has some bits missing here and there afaih but it's worth watching for the style alone, part 5 is pure bliss. Then you start reading cause DP couldn't start SO yet :(

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Lovely finale to part 5. But I just don't understand why they didn't do more with the final part 5 credits sequence. I'm simply amazed they didn't do what people were predicting. They did indeed replace the rock and GE with Rolling Stones and GER, but they didn't play it backwards with Enigma's other song! It genuinely felt like the reason they picked Modern Crusaders. I hyped myself up for that enough that I feel let down over such a small thing not happening.

Edit: At least black-green Giorno looked neat.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Lovely finale to part 5. But I just don't understand why they didn't do more with the final part 5 credits sequence. I'm simply amazed they didn't do what people were predicting. They did indeed replace the rock and GE with Rolling Stones and GER, but they didn't play it backwards with Enigma's other song! It genuinely felt like the reason they picked Modern Crusaders. I hyped myself up for that enough that I feel let down over such a small thing not happening.

Edit: At least black-green Giorno looked neat.
yeah i was expecting they' keep the holy diver pose for GER too, in the end there was no prologue but the episode was really beautiful, I wasn't expecting black giorno and purple mista lol Giorno looked so damn menacing... also the Don version of il vento doro, GOOD LORD

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean anime |OT| Florida Woman's Magical DISCCaptor Prison Adventures

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Seeing how people react to Part 6 is going to be amazing.

People are going to love Jolyne and Pucci and it'll leave a strong early impression, but all bets are off in regards to what people think of the final third. MiH and snails might break some people.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing reactions to some of the midway fights too. I want to know if the reception towards fights like Planet Waves/Survivor, Dragon's Dream, and Yo Yo Ma will change.

Rocha

Jul 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm looking forward to seeing reactions to some of the midway fights too. I want to know if the reception towards fights like Planet Waves/Survivor, Dragon's Dream, and Yo Yo Ma will change.
Wait, is Planet Waves considered a bad fight in the general consensus? It's one of my favorite Stand Battles in part 6. I just love the sheer brutality and desperation that Araki brought to this fight

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I love Part 5...but damnit in the end it really is a filler season. 😭
Calling it filler is denying the whole meaning of part 5 lol
The story is there, their efforts were not in vain, and despite it doing jack shit for the "jojo canon" it sure made a strong impact in everyone who learned from its lessons. This is a story about people who society forgot, people whose own existence was the source of pain and yet still strived to do the best with what fate has brought them, the point of telling this story is not letting those kids be forgotten.

I will fucking never call that a filler. To me this is the most important part, and Jojo wouldn't be as good without it. It's a great display on Araki's handling of story themes.

btw you would LOVE Katanagatari =P

OP
OP
Matsukaze

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is Planet Waves considered a bad fight in the general consensus? It's one of my favorite Stand Battles in part 6. I just love the sheer brutality and desperation that Araki brought to this fight
In my experience? Planet Waves is a surprisingly divisive battle. Folks seem to either give it a vigorous thumbs up or a forceful thumbs down.

That may have changed over time.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
In my experience? Planet Waves is a surprisingly divisive battle. Folks seem to either give it a vigorous thumbs up or a forceful thumbs down.

Yeah, I really like Planet Waves and how brutal the close combat gets, but I've seen (and know) people who hate it. More people tend to like it than some of the other fights in part 6, though.

Rocha

Jul 5, 2019
Brazil

I can kind see why someone wouldn't like Planet Waves since this fight breaks the usual jojo stand battle formula by focusing in a hand-to-hand combat situation with lots of gore and shit talking, but a fight between a prisoner and a guard really needed this focus and i think Araki executed it really well.
lol that's me when i learned people hated jailhouse lock
Now that the anime adaptation of SO is upon us i think i well re-read the manga, because to this day I'm still not sure how i fell about jailhouse lock and the green baby fight (green green grass of home).

Also, people really sleep on the Jolyne and Hermes Vs Foo Fighters fight, to me this is one of the most underrated moments in Stone Ocean.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, people really sleep on the Jolyne and Hermes Vs Foo Fighters fight, to me this is one of the most underrated moments in Stone Ocean.
Yes, this battle is really good. Possibly the last good "traditional" battle of SO.
I remember liking Planet Waves and Dragon's Dream and hating Yoyoma and Faux-Memento, so my tastes seem to be quite different from other people in this thread.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, this battle is really good. Possibly the last good "traditional" battle of SO.
I remember liking Planet Waves and Dragon's Dream and hating Yoyoma and Faux-Memento, so my tastes seem to be quite different from other people in this thread.
Dragon's dream feels like a hxh battle so im sorta ok with it? I just wanted it shorter because pacing

But then again, I like survivor( for the fact it syncs perfectly with the destiny's chuld song)

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I love Part 5...but damnit in the end it really is a filler season. 😭
Eh, if the "main" story is Dio's impact.
Then it's not anymore filler than parts 2 and 4.
But I feel the main point to the parts is that they don't have to be about the same stuff. They're all their own things, and all just as important.

Rocha

Jul 5, 2019
Brazil
I know how you feel, most people seems to love green day, but to me that's one of the most unnecessary long and boring fights of the series lol