• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I have seen some pepole not like the first half of SO mostly because it kinda tries be a combination of GW with its more action focused fights and DIU - having the one large setting rather then travelling and not really being as good as either in that regard
hmm, i kind of didnt see it that way. the prison is an isolated ecosystem with strict rules, it feels very different from a town.

The prison arc is actually my favorite half, though i do love the section where they're on the run leading up to the climax as well, and the climax itself is dope. but its the jojo part where i most loved the bit where you can't really see the finale on the horizon just yet, versus how that was my least fav section of stardust crusaders

i was shocked to learn people dislike the Marilyn Manson, Planet Waves, and Dragon Dream (or whatever its called) fights, all of which are some of my favorite in the series.

the foo fighters introductory fight is awesome as well. a murder mystery where the killer was no one and the stand user was itself. that sentence still blows my mind

Last edited:

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are getting a part 6 anime?

The OT thread makes it sound like Part 5 didn't do well. :(

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
We are getting a part 6 anime?

The OT thread makes it sound like Part 5 didn't do well. :(
that was the duwang scans several years ago, I've never seen so many people talking about jojo as they are today, hell, the support for stone ocean here has been crazy since that con with Ashiya and brazil is a...sometimes complicated place to sell jojo to right now o_x

To know that this wave reached the US too makes me damn happy xD

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
just looked it up and the torture dance clip has 12 million views, with canzoni preferite itself right below at 9 million.

And of course, Il Vento D'oro is sitting at 33 million, which is almost as much as the 6 year old pillarmen theme at 40 mil.

Thats fucking nuts.

I wonder how many new jojo fans these three things alone are responsible for!

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Mann - Kiss of Love and Revenge was so good. Too bad Hermes was kinda eh afterwards:

EL2LT9CXYAEojc8

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Part 5 is getting its own Weiss Schwarz (anime trading card game) expansion, first Jojo part to do so. I'm pretty sure it's huge.

Hell, my brother won a Bucciarati figure from a UFO machine in Round 1 here in the States.

Not sure how the manga's doing, but I've been begrudgingly buying every Part 4 volume because that's the only way we'll get up to Steel Ball Run

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
If Hermes had permanently retired after that, she would have been a great, non-memed character.
at least she came back for the final fight in a cool way. i agree she didn't do much between that and her incapacitation here, but it isnt the worst thing in the world. she still had good dialogue and character moments while they were on the run.

i like Hermes a lot

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Finished up the second half of Stardust Crusaders this weekend. I have to say I enjoyed the fights in the first half of the series a lot more than what was in the second half. Darby the Gambler really intense to watch. The episodes around Mariah were pretty funny. I'm sad to say that I didn't care for Iggy even in the end. I would have preferred to spend more time with another character like Avadol or Kakyoin. To be frank I found the final battle to be a bit of a let down too. Ouch. I dunno why I sort of fell out of love with this arc near the end.

Anyway, happily moving on to Diamond is Unbreakable.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up the second half of Stardust Crusaders this weekend. I have to say I enjoyed the fights in the first half of the series a lot more than what was in the second half. Darby the Gambler really intense to watch. The episodes around Mariah were pretty funny. I'm sad to say that I didn't care for Iggy even in the end. I would have preferred to spend more time with another character like Avadol or Kakyoin. To be frank I found the final battle to be a bit of a let down too. Ouch. I dunno why I sort of fell out of love with this arc near the end.

Anyway, happily moving on to Diamond is Unbreakable.
SDC really short changes the side cast. I don't like Polnareff, I was rooting for Pet Shop when he fought Iggy, Kakyoin is nothing but a milf hunting egg laying meme, Avdol dies twice for Polnareff's sins. It's probably my least favorite part to be honest. At least Part 1 is over and done with quick.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
"Diver Down merged with the bus and incorporated my body into a tire, so now i keep rollin rollin rollin rollin"

question:
why is the mistranslation of the "durability" stand stat still so incredibly pervasive despite all the evidence that it doesn't actually mean that? Is it just literally labelled misleadingly in japanese as well? because that's the only thing i can think of at this point

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Diver Down merged with the bus and incorporated my body into a tire, so now i keep rollin rollin rollin rollin"

question:
why is the mistranslation of the "durability" stand stat still so incredibly pervasive despite all the evidence that it doesn't actually mean that? Is it just literally labelled misleadingly in japanese as well? because that's the only thing i can think of at this point
持続力 ? It's... Hum. "Persistence"? The length of time the effect of the stand will remain.
It's still super vague. I don't think the stats were really explained outside of Jump until Jojo A Gogo (I mean, not within the manga).

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
持続力 ? It's... Hum. "Persistence"? The length of time the effect of the stand will remain.
It's still super vague. I don't think the stats were really explained outside of Jump until Jojo A Gogo (I mean, not within the manga).
yeah of course, but things like the difference between Star Platinum's stats and Star Platinum: The World's stats make it pretty clear what it's supposed to be measuring.

its interesting how commonly people say "oh yeah persistence, it means like durability or defense".

i actually forgot it is directly translated as persistence most times, "durability" is what ive been seeing a lot in fan stat charts.

i can definitely understand that word being considered vague.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Araki should have staed with his original plans for Fugo , it would have been an interesting storyline.
it would have been interesting, but the fact that he just literally walked away and went underground was honestly a nice subversion in the end.

Cause i was expecting him to come back as a villain for a very long while after that, pretty much up until Secco and Cioccolatta.

It's always fascinating to me when changed plans in storytelling end up bringing the story in an unexpected and more unique direction, such as with giorno and gold experience: when forced into situations where he cant use the things that were established as his primary and strongest abilities, he's forced to use his powers in much more creative and intricate ways.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
10 chapters in, and yeah, all these horses are gonna be a pain in the ass to animate.

Will need a lot of time and planning.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
They could skip to jojolion *runs*
I guess it's one of the things I'm wondering about these latest two parts. So besides the nods, names, abilities, etc. here and there, they're completely disconnected from 1-6?

I know I'll enjoy them both, but I can't shake the feeling that, at times, I'll inevitably see them as side stories or extras (trying to avoid using the dreaded double-f word).

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it's one of the things I'm wondering about these latest two parts. So besides the nods, names, abilities, etc. here and there, they're completely disconnected from 1-6?

I know I'll enjoy them both, but I can't shake the feeling that, at times, I'll inevitably see them as side stories or extras (trying to avoid using the dreaded double-f word).
It's an alternative universe, its got a lot of spins on the old jojo mythology but you don't really need NEED 1-6 for them to work, hell, i'd argue you don't even need sbr that much for jojolion since all you need to know was neatly recapped so far.

Basically, they can stand on their own but if you read 1-6 you'll get much more from them, still, it's not like they're on ireneverse or any universe thats related to original jojo... look at them like you'd see Marvel multiverses, they're all canon and part of one bigger thing

Sorry for the puns lol

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
It's an alternative universe, its got a lot of spins on the old jojo mythology but you don't really need NEED 1-6 for them to work, hell, i'd argue you don't even need sbr that much for jojolion since all you need to know was neatly recapped so far.

Basically, they can stand on their own but if you read 1-6 you'll get much more from them, still, it's not like they're on ireneverse or any universe thats related to original jojo... look at them like you'd see Marvel multiverses, they're all canon and part of one bigger thing

Sorry for the puns lol
Good to know. Something to get used to.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
verrrrry interesting.

this feels like it's heading for a complex finale that we're still only scratching the surface of.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Another Jobro Josis about to die.

That was the fastest chapter ever, a lot of moving pieces in place so next one is probably gonna be insane.

I bet Gappy sent the Head Doctor some of the broken locacaca vials.

And it looks like Jobin used the fruit

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Another Jobro Josis about to die.

That was the fastest chapter ever, a lot of moving pieces in place so next one is probably gonna be insane.

I bet Gappy sent the Head Doctor some of the broken locacaca vials.

And it looks like Jobin used the fruit
3 hours to harvest, definitely didn't use the fruit. we also saw it still tucked away in the hiding spot.

common theory seems to be he sent something to the blue hawaii guy that will allow him to activate his ability on the doctor, forcing Josuke to head towards him without 'intending' to.

I was expecting this to be a new arc but it seems like it's leading directly into the pursuit of the doctor, instead of saving that for later. I loved the pocket-eye view of the higashikata house as yasuho slowly realizes something is wrong. Joshu is also behaving like a human being all of a sudden, which feels right for the situation even though it's extremely odd to see.

I like the expanding on how exactly you can attack Yasuho's fairly abstract stand: by damaging the device it is inhabiting. The fact that Tooru isn't shown thus far and probably definitely will be important says to me that this is setting up two battlegrounds for the next few chapters: the hospital and the estate. Josuke isn't going to come save the day, Yasuho is going to need to take charge.

As for what this is leading up to, I think first we're going to learn more about the overall structure of what's been happening here, and then the fruit is going to be used in some capacity. And it's going to create a majorly fucked up stand. We're still a ways out from that though, clearly.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3 hours to harvest, definitely didn't use the fruit. we also saw it still tucked away in the hiding spot.

common theory seems to be he sent something to the blue hawaii guy that will allow him to activate his ability on the doctor, forcing Josuke to head towards him without 'intending' to.

I was expecting this to be a new arc but it seems like it's leading directly into the pursuit of the doctor, instead of saving that for later. I loved the pocket-eye view of the higashikata house as yasuho slowly realizes something is wrong. Joshu is also behaving like a human being all of a sudden, which feels right for the situation even though it's extremely odd to see.

I like the expanding on how exactly you can attack Yasuho's fairly abstract stand: by damaging the device it is inhabiting. The fact that Tooru isn't shown thus far and probably definitely will be important says to me that this is setting up two battlegrounds for the next few chapters: the hospital and the estate. Josuke isn't going to come save the day, Yasuho is going to need to take charge.

As for what this is leading up to, I think first we're going to learn more about the overall structure of what's been happening here, and then the fruit is going to be used in some capacity. And it's going to create a majorly fucked up stand. We're still a ways out from that though, clearly.

Oh right, completely overlooked the harvest countdown, Tsurugi's head looked less misshapen so I thought he was slowly getting better lol

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
saw a new theory that alligns more with my initial impression and actually sounds much more likely: the package is being given to the doctor. josuke will then resolve to get the package back, no matter what. it's a package that has something in it that the doctor will want to keep, so he will be forced to fight.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know what this thing is exactly, but it speaks Latin, so it's awesome.

ofx0I7C.png

Latin nerd digression

It can mean four things:

"Moving/To move the leg" (one can understand something like "is good", I guess)
"You are moved, with regard to your leg"
"Be moved, with regard to your leg"
"They moved the leg"

The accusative of specification, especially with parts of the body, is definitely a thing, but I'm just not sure with this verb. The active imperative is ("Move your leg").

Edit:

H5st3ML.png

So: movē crūra

Edit2: and it's translated as an infinitive later on, at least in the one I'm using. So definitely infinitive. :P

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what this thing is exactly, but it speaks Latin, so it's awesome.

ofx0I7C.png

Latin nerd digression

It can mean four things:

"Moving/To move the leg" (one can understand something like "is good", I guess)
"You are moved, with regard to your leg"
"Be moved, with regard to your leg"
"They moved the leg"

The accusative of specification, especially with parts of the body, is definitely a thing, but I'm just not sure with this verb. The active imperative is ("Move your leg").

Edit:

H5st3ML.png

So: movē crūra

Edit2: and it's translated as an infinitive later on, at least in the one I'm using. So definitely infinitive. :P
Could be infinitive but, remember present form and infinitive form in japanese are the same

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Really fun new JoJolion theory video by the guy who did the "Josuke's Plundered Identity" theory video. The first half lays a lot of ground work, and the second half goes all in on trying to guess what musical references Araki may have been considering as he's been writing the part and how these musical references may thematically tie the beginning and end of the part together. It's all very convincing, but Araki has a habit of making fools of us all.

Edit: His recap at 10:31 of how Araki always revists an idea from the beginning of the part to mark the current Jojo's growth also really makes me appreciate how these stories are written.

Last edited: