• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I just now read the new Jojolion chapter. Uu Tomoki was such a fun villain. Yasuho's fuckboy ex is totally a Stand user though right?

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I mean the worst thing about this fight is they do NOTHING for the entire Ep. Even in the Manga they do nothing. C'mon...now. Next week might be good or bad. I forget if this fight is considered good or bad.
I really like Aerosmith but i have a distinct feeling Aerosmith is not starting next week. Instead we get the introduction of the Execution Squad and their backstory

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
"Let's Go Eat Some Italian Food" is now my favorite Diamond is Unbreakable episode. It's just plain fun without anything bad actually happening and I love that so much. As I was watching it, I remembered hoping for Stand users that aren't villains and simply Stand users. Good ones who won't join the group and just go about their lives. I expected it would turn out that the chef was a bad guy, but holy shit, he actually was a good guy. It only continues to make me like Part 4 over Stardust Crusaders even more. I wasn't a fan of the "Stand user of the week" format the latter did, and while the former does it too, it's not the same "Stand user DIO sent to attack the group" thing again and again. It's way more interesting and enjoyable this way.

Joseph's finally about to make an appearance in the following episodes! Excited to see him, though it's also a little sad to see him so old and weak now. Looking forward to him and Josuke meeting...

Okuyasu almost beating Red Hot Chilli Pepper was awesome, and while Chilli Pepper ultimately won, I'm still happy that Okuyasu was able to put up a great fight.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Wondering, what do you think of the Execution Squad's backstory

Also, i am going to make a prediction - David Productions are going to forshadow Polneraff much earlier then the manga did

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matsukaze

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Diavolo is an interesting guy.

I legit believe 90% of people's problems with part 5 are just down to translations.
I read both the botched translation and the good translation. Even after finishing the good translation, I can say Diavolo is still easily at the bottom of the antagonists list with Kars.

I'll put it this way - Diavolo is a fine villain and I'd much rather read about him than most other bad guys in manga, but in my books, he doesn't hold a candle compared to Dio, Kira, Pucci, and Funny Valentine.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
yeah but he also gives us doppio so it evens out.

watching people react to the doppio episode(s? I can't remember) is gonna be pretty good

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Diovolo is about as interesting as if you combined all the pillar men into one character. a little better because of king crimson.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
From what I remember he has no personality or quirks. Coming after Kira and ranting about riding the eternal climax is such a downgrade.
LITERALLY DOPPIO

Come the fuck on People, it's the same person.

The entire character is the dichotomy of a guy who is a total witless coward who also rides on the high of being untouchable and unidentifiable

Oct 25, 2017
LITERALLY DOPPIO

The entire character is the dichotomy of a guy who is a total witless coward who also rides on the high of being untouchable and unidentifiable
Kira had fucking presence though. Maybe I just don't remember him too well I guess. I do tend to define most of how I like a villain by their anime adaptation though. Though I liked Pucci regardless.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Also Diavolo has the most visceral kills in the series. Cause the man does not fuck around.

He does not play with his food.

He fucking murders you.

Nov 4, 2017
Diovolo is sort of underwhelming for a couple of reasons. I think people forget that he also had a third form as a shadowy man in a suit, in my mind he looked like Giovani from Pokemon. Instead we get another androgynous guy with long hair.

I feel like we don't see him a lot. Pucci and Kira have their own adventures and back story they get into. With Diovolo there is something about a fire and the stand arrows. Otherwise he is like Dio in part 3. But part 3 Dio had the benefit of being fleshed out in part 1. It was still satisfying to have him behind the scenes.

I also feel like the final battle with Diovolo lacked the creative spark the other final battles had. Some bullshit happens and the heroes win. They don't really use their Guile to win.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Josuke purposely not using Crazy Diamond to fix Joseph's cane as an excuse to hold his hand was so damn heartwarming, holy shit.

On the other hand, holy shit Joseph, I sure as hell hope you'll pay your son back for all those diapers and stuff. Really loved that we had another episode that wasn't about an enemy Stand user, though. Diamond is Unbreakable continues to impress and make Stardust Crusaders almost look bad. At least the latter had a much better sense of camaraderie thanks to the journey format and all that.

Oct 25, 2017
Diovolo is sort of underwhelming for a couple of reasons. I think people forget that he also had a third form as a shadowy man in a suit, in my mind he looked like Giovani from Pokemon. Instead we get another androgynous guy with long hair.

I feel like we don't see him a lot. Pucci and Kira have their own adventures and back story they get into. With Diovolo there is something about a fire and the stand arrows. Otherwise he is like Dio in part 3. But part 3 Dio had the benefit of being fleshed out in part 1. It was still satisfying to have him behind the scenes.

I also feel like the final battle with Diovolo lacked the creative spark the other final battles had. Some bullshit happens and the heroes win. They don't really use their Guile to win.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
LITERALLY DOPPIO

He is and he isn't. He is, because he's heavily implied to be the what Diavolo was when he was younger, but he isn't because he LITERALLY splits off into a different character by the end. It's the implication thing that irks me a lot about Diavolo, because that's what half of his character is. Why did that "bad event" happen and how did that turn young Diavolo into mob Diavolo? Always why tf would a paranoid man such as Diavolo ever want to be mob leader, let alone world dominion?

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like people don't realize that the final battle isn't GER.

The final Battle is SCR. GER is just the conclusion to it.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
He is and he isn't. He is, because he's heavily implied to be the what Diavolo was when he was younger, but he isn't because he LITERALLY splits off into a different character by the end. It's the implication thing that irks me a lot about Diavolo, because that's what half of his character is. Why did that "bad event" happen and how did that turn young Diavolo into mob Diavolo? Always why tf would a paranoid man such as Diavolo ever want to be mob leader, let alone world dominion?
Why would a guy who wants control of everything, go after a position that allows control of everything...

Come on now.

OP
OP
Matsukaze

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017

I am glad to know I am not alone in thinking this lol

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Also come off that "they end up as different characters"

No they don't. Doppio doesn't get an arc alone after the split. They split and he immediately dies. And for obvious reason. Because Araki established that Diavolo's not 100% in control of when either form is dominant.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why would a guy who wants control of everything, go after a position that allows control of everything...

Come on now.
I don't know if I buy that honestly. That's like if Kira ran for Morioh mayor to get over his insecurities. I get the the theming, but that's a huge leap for character motivations imo (which again, could've been fleshed out to connect the dots)

And are you sure about Diavolo not having control over Doppio? I distinctly remember him about to bring back Doppio during the Metallica fight because he was getting wrecked, only for Doppio to convince him otherwise. I'm preeetty sure Doppio was only dominant when he had to hide his real identity, i.e. they had a talk about who should be out whenever it's necessary. It's more mutual than being "out of control"

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I don't know if I buy that honestly. That's like if Kira ran for Morioh mayor to get over his insecurities. I get the the theming, but that's a huge leap for character motivations imo (which again, could've been fleshed out to connect the dots)

And are you sure about Diavolo not having control over Doppio? I distinctly remember him about to bring back Doppio during the Metallica fight because he was getting wrecked, only for Doppio to convince him otherwise. I'm preeetty sure Doppio was only dominant when he had to hide his real identity, i.e. they had a talk about who should be out whenever it's necessary. It's more mutual than being "out of control"

The entire Metallica fight was largely about them not having the capacity to swap on the fly and that fucking them over hard core.

Diavolo is not Kira.

Kira's paranoia stemmed from a sense that his world was going to be shattered. It was not a core of his character. Diavolo is always paranoid, because he feels everything is an obstacle to his desire to control eveyrthing.

They're coming from completely different places.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The entire Metallica fight was largely about them not having the capacity to swap on the fly and that fucking them over hard core.

I'm looking at the newer translations right now. It's a distance thing akin to why Dio needs to get closer to get Jotaro "in range". Doppio also convinced Diavolo not to come out because of the few seconds it would take to transition. A disadvantage sure, but hardly something that states Diavolo doesn't have "control" of what form he wants to take
Diavolo is not Kira.

Kira's paranoia stemmed from a sense that his world was going to be shattered. It was not a core of his character. Diavolo is always paranoid, because he feels everything is an obstacle to his desire to control eveyrthing.

They're coming from completely different places
Fair enough. I just wanted to see more of Diavolo's past is all. Hopefully the anime does something with that.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if king crimson is a good design or not. on one hand I think it's supposed to be strange and upsetting, but on the other hand I think it's too good at its job

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Kira doesn't seek control at all. He seeks peace of mind. Kira isn't obsessed with deleting every trace of his past, in fact he is perfectly content leading a quiet, muted life where he doesn't bring attention to himself.

Diavolo doesn't want peace, he doesn't want a quiet life, he wants to be at the very top while making sure he will never be targeted, ever, and the only way to do so is by being ruthlessly thorough cleaning every hint of his presence.

This is easy to get. The King Crimson ability is making him someone who has the objective to remove himself from public eye. Like, it's an ongoing project of his to make sure that no one can trace back to him. His future with King Crimson is guaranteed, 100%, so he seeks to go back to his past to clean up the rest. He will not keep doing that, but this is what he wanted at the time.

Wait is Diavolo the man who helped Girono as a kid. I haven't read P5, so my knowledge of stuff is scattered.

No it's not. There isn't a single element of Diavolo's life that would lead to him saving someone. It's not the same kind of loose ends as part 4 with future Josuke helping past Josuke being dropped.

OP
OP
Matsukaze

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Much like Diavolo having the unenviable task of falling between Kira and Pucci, King Crimson gets flanked by Killer Queen and Whitesnake, my second and third favorite Stands in the series, respectively.

Also, I only just remembered that Epitaph had its named changed, too. Emperor Crimson and Eulogy, here we come!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the anime reminds me that I don't remember SHIT about VA (never really went back to it like I did other parts), but I always saw Diavolo and Doppio as the same character. Couldn't remember if it was split personalities or what. Still one of the weaker villains in the series, but that's due to the insane competition rather than those two being a weak character. Doppio rules.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yep, in the end I'm glad that they managed to subvert that expectation though.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
The hand is different in that.............it's different for some reason. For comparison's sake:

latest

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I spent the last evening re-reading Breal your Heart. The final confrontation with Valentine is utterly excellent

i legitimately thought Johnny was convinced by his arguments. Throwing the gun as a test was genius

Nov 4, 2017
Yep, in the end I'm glad that they managed to subvert that expectation though.
The thing is part 5 is nothing but Bishie model looking guys except Polpo and the guy with Beach Boy. I sort of missed in part 4 when everyone had wildly different looking designs. A straight laced businessman could have been cool, but I guess that's sort of what Kira was.