• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joseph listens to Get Back on the way home from Egypt.

The first word in Get Back is "Jojo"

mind blown dude

Yagi di Hoshi

Oct 25, 2017
United States
We wouldn't just get a new OP just before a break like that I don't think

And SdC announced way in advance - like 10ish episodes in - that it would be a split cour

Edit:

Correction: 9ish episodes :b

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I was avoiding joining this community because i was afraid of manga spoilers, so now that i caught up with jojolion im good to go

I'm kinda glad i kept up with the series because i'm loving this part. Internet overhyped SBR to me to the point i just dreaded that one and part 6 broke my heart so i was kinda worried i wouldnt like any other part as much as i did for 5 xD

you can kill me now SBR guys

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Finished Part 4, and it's probably my favorite so far (4 > 2 > 3 > 1).

The small town atmosphere, interesting fights and Stands, Kira as a great villain (and character), and utilizing characters even after they're specific episodes, unlike a lot of Part 3 where most of them were "retired" (though they were just fodder, which I guess was the problem for me).

My only significant complaint is, even though his moment against Kira was great, Okuyasu was way underused. Wish he had been given more to do.

On to Part 5.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The small town atmosphere, interesting fights and Stands, Kira as a great villain (and character), and utilizing characters even after they're specific episodes, unlike a lot of Part 3 where most of them were "retired" (though they were just fodder, which I guess was the problem for me).
I think regardless of which part one prefers (I personally rate part 5 above all the others), almost everyone agrees Kira is among the absolute best characters of the entire series. Jotaro and DIO left a bigger mark in the general consciousness because they're about punching things really hard while shouting and DIO did all these crazy things in the Capcom game, but Kira is just something else.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember if I mentioned it here or in the Toonami thread, but part of what makes him great is he's such a great contrast to the larger than life Dio. A villain who DOESN'T want to stick out, is just a normal office man in his 30s who doesn't want to cause trouble (well, not counting the people he's killed) & is in a weird way, as a bit of an introvert, someone who you can relate to with the fact they want to live a rather secluded or quiet life style. Plus it works great when they spent so much time building up the town being a character itself & I think most people came across that one house or person who they never knew much about, yet knew it existed & always wondered what it is that they did outside of work or whatever.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was avoiding joining this community because i was afraid of manga spoilers, so now that i caught up with jojolion im good to go

I'm kinda glad i kept up with the series because i'm loving this part. Internet overhyped SBR to me to the point i just dreaded that one and part 6 broke my heart so i was kinda worried i wouldnt like any other part as much as i did for 5 xD

you can kill me now SBR guys

Talking shit about Steel Ball Run? What? Just kidding, I think Part 4 isn't anything special outside of Kira and I'm still welcome here

Jojolion is really really good though, I keep saying if they manage to pull off the endgame it could be my favorite part

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Talking shit about Steel Ball Run? What? Just kidding, I think Part 4 isn't anything special outside of Kira and I'm still welcome here

Jojolion is really really good though, I keep saying if they manage to pull off the endgame it could be my favorite part
I blame it on valentine fans. People sell him like a well intended, gray morality villain that had some complexity to it but by the time his reasoning for doing all that was explained he ended up just being a jerk with a poor excuse to being a jerk, you can't play the "but he isnt that evil" card after what he did to lucy >_>

Fuck, the xForts video on valentine makes me cringe so hard. Am i missing something only americans read?

I think regardless of which part one prefers (I personally rate part 5 above all the others), almost everyone agrees Kira is among the absolute best characters of the entire series. Jotaro and DIO left a bigger mark in the general consciousness because they're about punching things really hard while shouting and DIO did all these crazy things in the Capcom game, but Kira is just something else.
Kira IS the best villain so far lol not my favourite because sometimes i like part 6's better but he's so charming

My jojo part rank so far is 5>>>8(tentative)>6>4/7>2>1>3

I place 5 that high cause it was kinda life changing for me D: I believe part 8 can be my second favorite if it keeps up, im loving the hxh like battles and the whole mistery, only thing that could break it is the villain not being awesome tbf, i also like the jojo haha. 6 is there because jolyne, the highs were very highs and the lows very lows, sometimes i place it under 4/7 because of Annasui. 4 was my favorite until part 5, it fell some ranks because of the awkward pacing(tho i only watched the anime) kira is my second favorite villain after pucci, but not using okuyasu and even josuke enough hurt it for me, i LOVE Rohan though. 7 wasn't bad bad, i like the quality of the fights but some tropes used there got me cringing hard, johnny wasn't that good imo :/, 2 is fun, its only ranked low because jojo kept getting better and i have a love for part 1 but can't rank it high either. I don't like part 3, but the parts after it made me not hate it anymore, shout out to the D'arbys though, they're very fun

Yagi di Hoshi

Oct 25, 2017
United States
The Part 4 manga's my favorite, and it finally comes out officially around where I live in a few months. I am quite ecstatic to see how an official translation for it pans out for once

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I blame it on valentine fans. People sell him like a well intended, gray morality villain that had some complexity to it but by the time his reasoning for doing all that was explained he ended up just being a jerk with a poor excuse to being a jerk, you can't play the "but he isnt that evil" card after what he did to lucy >_>
You will never pick a napkin at the restaurant the same way now.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
The English dub of part 4 has been so fucking amazing. Last night's episode was fucking godly.
It's nuts just how well DC Douglas has been nailing his deliveries. It's the perfect mix of suave yet creepy, like he's combining Wesker with Kamoshida from Persona 5.

Also props for sneakily teasing Bites the Dust by having Kira say "after you bite the dust, I'll be able to sleep soundly". Also that "oooh no no no no noooo...." was just great (1:11):

Oct 25, 2017
It's nuts just how well DC Douglas has been nailing his deliveries. It's the perfect mix of suave yet creepy, like he's combining Wesker with Kamoshida from Persona 5.

Also props for sneakily teasing Bites the Dust by having Kira say "after you bite the dust, I'll be able to sleep soundly". Also that "oooh no no no no noooo...." was just great (1:11):

I can't wait for Kira to blow up Vic Mignona a couple of times.
Killed a kid in cold blood
Shigechi's petty ass died over a fucking sandwich, he had it coming. All he had to do was walk away and stop obsessing over a fucking chicken sandwich, but nooooo, he had to do dumb shit and get his soul sent screaming into the after life. It should be a life lesson.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, Gyro learned many things, Johnny got rid of a self esteem problem he got because of daddy issues and because of an accident that only happened because he thoght too high of himself... oh wait

He walked in circles didn't he? Spin is quite the literal power

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yo so now I realize the chains popping out of the blood was a Risotto reference this whole time.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Fuck, the xForts video on valentine makes me cringe so hard. Am i missing something only americans read?

Valentine's motivation is probably among the weakest in the series. It's pretty much everything else that elevates him, his look, stand, etc. The people that went "He's not really that evil, he just wanted what's best for his country" always made me roll my eyes.

RIPieces Shitgechi

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Valentine's motivation is probably among the weakest in the series. It's pretty much everything else that elevates him, his look, stand, etc. The people that went "He's not really that evil, he just wanted what's best for his country" always made me roll my eyes.
He's my second weakest jojo villain in the series but Valentine apologists make me rank him under Diavolo(aka: last place)

I love his stand and how much of a sick freak he is so if people didnt hype him so much i'd totally like him a lil bit more... he totally didnt need to assault a 14 year old kid to show how despicable he was though

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a way, Valentine could work as an evil politician: saying all along that he's sacrificing himself for the country when actually everything he wants is personal power.
The character however falls apart when it shows he believes his own bullshit.

I don't see any major difference between Dio, Kars, DIO and Diavolo: they are all power-hungry baddies, equal in their simple motivations (and I don't mean it in a bad way: simple baddies are good too!)

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I legit think that Lucy's age was a case of "Araki Forgot" because I think he legit forgot he wrote her as 14, because by the time she becomes relevant in the story again it had probably been over a year, right?

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
In a way, Valentine could work as an evil politician: saying all along that he's sacrificing himself for the country when actually everything he wants is personal power.
The character however falls apart when it shows he believes his own bullshit.

I don't see any major difference between Dio, Kars, DIO and Diavolo: they are all power-hungry baddies, equal in their simple motivations (and I don't mean it in a bad way: simple baddies are good too!)
I have a friend that simply loves Wham because of his honor codes, and honestly, he's one of my favorites too, too bad Kars was the major bad guy haha
I legit think that Lucy's age was a case of "Araki Forgot" because I think he legit forgot he wrote her as 14, because by the time she becomes relevant in the story again it had probably been over a year, right?
he didnt forget, if anything it was a case of "but 14 was an adult at the time!" And he was writing for a seinen magazine. It was such a letdown coming from jolyne though, for all the fanservice Trish got, she was never sexually assaulted(well, not like Lucy iirc), but in both SBR and Jojolion we see some rapey tropes that didn't really need to be there. Not that i'll hate araki for this, it's just that i know he can do better so i just imagine he wanted to do worse to see how it was idk lol it's an adult magazine after all...

You'd think he learned from that awful thing that happened in part 3 since he took a break from those y'know(and yeah i've erased that hayato episode from my mind and now everything is starting to make sense again >_>)

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Oh man, yeah I recently passed that Lucy and Scarlet Valentine bit and that wasn't great at all.
Judging by the comments it ain't gonna get better.

Oct 25, 2017
Killed a kid in cold blood
I have a friend that simply loves Wham because of his honor codes, and honestly, he's one of my favorites too, too bad Kars was the major bad guy haha

he didnt forget, if anything it was a case of "but 14 was an adult at the time!" And he was writing for a seinen magazine. It was such a letdown coming from jolyne though, for all the fanservice Trish got, she was never sexually assaulted(well, not like Lucy iirc), but in both SBR and Jojolion we see some rapey tropes that didn't really need to be there. Not that i'll hate araki for this, it's just that i know he can do better so i just imagine he wanted to do worse to see how it was idk lol it's an adult magazine after all...

You'd think he learned from that awful thing that happened in part 3 since he took a break from those y'know(and yeah i've erased that hayato episode from my mind and now everything is starting to make sense again >_>)
I cannot wait for the Toonami thread to lose their collective shit during the Hayato bath scene.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I cannot wait for the Toonami thread to lose their collective shit during the Hayato bath scene.
I delete this sequence from my mind everytime i do a jojo part rank... and recommend part 4... honestly you could make a jojo cringe rank, every part has an icky episode or two... the most harmless would be the one with the nazis? Lmao oh boy this is bad

Oct 25, 2017
I delete this sequence from my mind everytime i do a jojo part rank... and recommend part 4... honestly you could make a jojo cringe rank, every part has an icky episode or two... the most harmless would be the one with the nazis? Lmao oh boy this is bad
I'm not sure what's more cringe some of the stuff in Jojo or that infamous Hunter x Hunter scene.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Scarlet Valentine is almost comical in how ridiculous it is, like she fucking goes for it right off the bat.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
The scene I'm talking about is in the Chimera Ant arc, I'm trying to keep it very vague.
I can think of some candidates then, but honestly, i don't remember being as uncomfortable in hxh as I got in part 3/4/7 of jojo

Kid polnaleff got assaulted, the lil girl in that Psycho bootleg remake with the gorilla, then Hayato and Lucy

If the hxh scene is the one im thinking about, i blame it on the voice actors for being so good

Oct 25, 2017
I can think of some candidates then, but honestly, i don't remember being as uncomfortable in hxh as I got in part 3/4/7 of jojo

Kid polnaleff got assaulted, the lil girl in that Psycho bootleg remake with the gorilla, then Hayato and Lucy

If the hxh scene is the one im thinking about, i blame it on the voice actors for being so good
Araki goes too far in with getting uncomfortable. I know nothing about the Lucy stuff, but if it's worse than the Hayato scene then...boy...that's bad.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scarlet Valentine is almost comical in how ridiculous it is, like she fucking goes for it right off the bat.
And it was all for nothing on top of it. Not that using sexual assault to advance a story is good, but when it's sexual assault for nothing...
I'd really like to be Araki's shrink. This man has more and more issues as he gets older (as seen with the more and more pregnant Japanese Catholic thing that started to get really out of hands in SBR).

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
And it was all for nothing on top of it. Not that using sexual assault to advance a story is good, but when it's sexual assault for nothing...
I'd really like to be Araki's shrink. This man has more and more issues as he gets older (as seen with the more and more pregnant Japanese Catholic thing that started to get really out of hands in SBR).
I really think he did it cause he was allowed to and he wanted to feel what's like writing for a magazine that allows stuff Jump wouldn't... then again, the boat scene with the gorilla :(

Having two scenes of assault for nothing(we already knew valentine sucked so putting sexual assault on the top of it is kinda uncalled for) AND with a 14 year old... urgh... not to mention she was a perfectly capable character that got saved by... Jesus, her arc got bad

Like, Things like that made SBR drop so damn low in my ranking, this and last minute deus ex spins which kinda felt not as awesome as deus ex stands idk, but then again that was another expectations being broken scenario to me(golden rectangles stuff felt stupid, there were plenty of things to use in that snowstorm lol)

Guys don't hype SBR, you'll ruin it for some people if you hype it

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anything with Lucy was pretty terrible which is why I'm glad that she got that last moment. So goddamn satisfying.

Villains doing bad things isn't necessarily make it bad writing, it just has to make sense. Scarlet Valentine made no goddamn sense. In Part 8 I assume Joshuu is supposed to be hated but a lot of his shit seems to be played for laughs so idk, he deserves to get his ass beat though.

Last edited: