• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Villains doing bad things isn't necessarily make it bad writing, it just has to make sense
Yes. That's why my main issue with Valentine still isnt the attempted rape per se, but the people saying he did nothing wrong and that johnny is the real villain. The rape is still a lazy way to make him look bad when you already know he is despicable but defending the guy after doing that makes me worried about our society as a whole D:

Part 7 is still the best Part.
That's not how you write 5 *runs*

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like SBR now that I can read it in one go, but reading it chapter by chapter was infuriating with how little was resolved each time.
Now I know that some of the things don't have any weight so I can jump several pages while reading and focus on the good stuff, like Ringo.
And yeah, Sandman/Soundman was stupid. Also one of the rare characters with interesting motivations, wasted for nothing... (and no, the whole thing with the kid on the death row is not a good motivation, especially with how it ends).

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
SBR is champion on wasted potential... Soundman, Pocoloco(i really thought they'd expand on hey ya or at least make him a bit better than a bad stereotype) sometimes even Diego, he seemed like he would be deeper than old Dio with all his background story but in the end he was just a dick(I still liked him a lot though), it's a strange saga, idk how much i lost by reading it half griefing part 6 and half burned out from reading three sagas in a row, so i kind of give it a pass sometimes... I was expecting spin to be more deep and not just for shenanigans, but I guess Hunter x Hunter spoiled me on that one, i wanted expanded hamon and i got... something that wasn't nen xD my expectations were really too high

I can't deny it was well written, but i'm not sure if i can go back and read it again because the setting isn't really my cup of tea :/ The whole Lucy thing just tell me I shouldn't

Oct 25, 2017
SBR is champion on wasted potential... Soundman, Pocoloco(i really thought they'd expand on hey ya or at least make him a bit better than a bad stereotype) sometimes even Diego, he seemed like he would be deeper than old Dio with all his background story but in the end he was just a dick(I still liked him a lot though), it's a strange saga, idk how much i lost by reading it half griefing part 6 and half burned out from reading three sagas in a row, so i kind of give it a pass sometimes... I was expecting spin to be more deep and not just for shenanigans, but I guess Hunter x Hunter spoiled me on that one, i wanted expanded hamon and i got... something that wasn't nen xD my expectations were really too high

I can't deny it was well written, but i'm not sure if i can go back and read it again because the setting isn't really my cup of tea :/ The whole Lucy thing just tell me I shouldn't
Araki isn't going to waste two chapters going into in depth detail explaining a stand like Togashi does with Nen for better and worse. Imagine a Gold Experience written by Togashi.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Araki isn't going to waste two chapters going into in depth detail explaining a stand like Togashi does with Nen for better and worse. Imagine a Gold Experience written by Togashi.
He spent 2 chapters making them search for a golden rectangle amidst the snow, he could do it if johnny stopped crying( it was one chapter but SBR chapters have 5x more pages than a HxH chapter).

Also Togashi wrote (nerfed)Gold Experience into HxH, and King Crimson D: that's a hype rematch we'll never get

Oct 25, 2017
He spent 2 chapters making them search for a golden rectangle amidst the snow, he could do it if johnny stopped crying( it was one chapter but SBR chapters have 5x more pages than a HxH chapter).

Also Togashi wrote (nerfed)Gold Experience into HxH, and King Crimson D: that's a hype rematch we'll never get
Who has nerfed Gold Experience? I still haven't read the last chapter? Lol at this explanation though.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Who has nerfed Gold Experience? I still haven't read the last chapter? Lol at this explanation though.
Bill. it's not exactly Gold Experience, but enhancing the Nen abilities of humans is similar to GE's punch(but not crippling as that skill) and he can accelerate the growth of living things so he can make vines grow as long as the seeds are there

I mean, it's a super nerfed version focusing on different aspects of GE but that's the closest of GE Togashi would dare to write in HxH, I love that stand, he's a good boi, but he's far too overpowered for his own good and we only let it pass because Jojo's power scale got so off rails we needed a reboot.(and i'm not even talking about GER D:)
King Crimson in HxH tho, that was a curveball I wasn't expecting. I'm guessing he wasn't happy with part 5's last fight lol

Oct 25, 2017
Bill. it's not exactly Gold Experience, but enhancing the Nen abilities of humans is similar to GE's punch(but not crippling as that skill) and he can accelerate the growth of living things so he can make vines grow as long as the seeds are there

I mean, it's a super nerfed version focusing on different aspects of GE but that's the closest of GE Togashi would dare to write in HxH, I love that stand, he's a good boi, but he's far too overpowered for his own good and we only let it pass because Jojo's power scale got so off rails we needed a reboot.(and i'm not even talking about GER D:)
King Crimson in HxH tho, that was a curveball I wasn't expecting. I'm guessing he wasn't happy with part 5's last fight lol
Figures since I can never remember what Bill did. Terror Sandwich was even Jojo posing.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
That's the hilarious part. It's like Togashi was like, "Why not?"
I look forward to seeing another writer's take on king crimson, i mean, I love part 5, thought the arrow ex-machina was pretty well done and all, but Togashi has such a different way of writing and making a foundation so everything in the story makes sense so we'll get to see how diavolo would've gone down in a more believable scenario(I hope), I wonder if Araki read those chapters and what would he think about that LOL(I know togashi is sort of a fan of him)
Also after flooding HxH thread with jojo I'm flooding Jojo thread with HxH, damn you.

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to seeing another writer's take on king crimson, i mean, I love part 5, thought the arrow ex-machina was pretty well done and all, but Togashi has such a different way of writing and making a foundation so everything in the story makes sense so we'll get to see how diavolo would've gone down in a more believable scenario(I hope), I wonder if Araki read those chapters and what would he think about that LOL(I know togashi is sort of a fan of him)
Also after flooding HxH thread with jojo I'm flooding Jojo thread with HxH, damn you.
From what I understand Togashi and Araki are friends. You can find a lot of the same takes on some powers between Jojo and HxH. In YYH you have Karasu, whom inspired Kira and you have Genthru in HxH with Kira's power set.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Odd to know togashi and Araki are friends given Togashi's habits should rightly give Araki a panic attack.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot wait for the Toonami thread to lose their collective shit during the Hayato bath scene.
I could see it going a bit better since for one, it's not sexualized like with Anne or that woman who bathes child Polnareff & the context makes....more sense, I guess (kid's house & his "father" over random shower scene & random woman being all "YOU NEED A BATH & SOME FANSERVICE"), though I can still see quite a few "NOPE" reactions, but at the very least, it should be able to be creepy for the "right" reasons & not "why do we have a random fanservice bath scene?"

Oct 25, 2017
I could see it going a bit better since for one, it's not sexualized like with Anne or that woman who bathes child Polnareff & the context makes....more sense, I guess (kid's house & his "father" over random shower scene & random woman being all "YOU NEED A BATH & SOME FANSERVICE"), though I can still see quite a few "NOPE" reactions, but at the very least, it should be able to be creepy for the "right" reasons & not "why do we have a random fanservice bath scene?"
It's definitely not fanservice, it's just creepy and creepy manservice.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
From what I understand Togashi and Araki are friends. You can find a lot of the same takes on some powers between Jojo and HxH. In YYH you have Karasu, whom inspired Kira and you have Genthru in HxH with Kira's power set.
I need more material on that, Jojolion feels straight up like hunter x hunter in a small town, now i'll take Tsendrich as a friendly challenge lol

It's just creepy, unsettling and terrifying enough for me to ask how shounen jump allowed that manga D:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
True, I know I need to do a more recent rewatch of both back to back but I think the last time I did I recognized a couple of things between series.
I'm actually doing it right now, but rewatching the 99 anime, aside from some hisoka shenanigans that remember a lot of Stone Free I haven't caught many things yet...but i'm only at trick tower. I know both have Purple Haze, at least =P

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Lol. I really don't even remember some of these Nen abilities.
Hisoka's bungee gum is basically Jolyne's stand but sticky(tho machi's hatsu is closer to Jolyne's), the purple haze soldies are from Morel(?), the dude with the huge pipe that makes soldiers of smoke

oh shit forgot Palm and Yukako being literally the same person

Oct 25, 2017
Hisoka's bungee gum is basically Jolyne's stand but sticky(tho machi's hatsu is closer to Jolyne's), the purple haze soldies are from Morel(?), the dude with the huge pipe that makes soldiers of smoke

oh shit forgot Palm and Yukako being literally the same person
Oh by Purple Haze I thought you were talking melting virus Nen, but that could possibly be on the Dark Continent. Shit Knov and Emporio have similar abilities, though Knov's is way more broken.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Good first episode of Part 5. Giorno seems like he'll be an interesting protagonist.
I don't know too much about GE after only one episode, but at the very end of the chapter:
aFJSIQj.png

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Good first episode of Part 5. Giorno seems like he'll be an interesting protagonist.

I don't know too much about GE after only one episode, but at the very end of the chapter:
aFJSIQj.png
I forgot that guy but, man, GE isn't so simple o- o i still don't know how that thing works sometimes

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
does anyone have the manga in theory and practice book by araki? i wouldn't be buying it to get into drawing manga, more so on insight into his life and how he works and possible inspirations for jojo. is there any of that in there?

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
does anyone have the manga in theory and practice book by araki? i wouldn't be buying it to get into drawing manga, more so on insight into his life and how he works and possible inspirations for jojo. is there any of that in there?
I have it. The book is definitely more about his storytelling and art philosophy mixed with his insight from working in the business moreso than a "how to draw manga" book, so it's pretty much exactly what you want.

Yagi di Hoshi

Oct 25, 2017
United States
What Sibersk Esto said! I got the book too just a year back (along with David Lynch's "Catching the Big Fish" but that's a little bit different)

I can sorta see myself not enjoying Part 7 as much as I have been if I paid more heed the beginning of it w/ what was presented & expecting more satisfying closure from that stuff.

Similarly there might be a few things near the start of the Part 4 manga that are briefly brought into light - like some underground 'organization' that Hazamada touts in one speech bubble but seemed to have been quickly dropped

Boy, it's pretty weird that I got into some of these JUMP series backwards. For One Piece, I watched Ennies Lobby before completing Alabasta yet went back to catch up and ended up enjoying the crap out of the whole thing, had a few glimpses into the later part of the Chimera Ant arc of Hunter x Hunter after finishing the Greed Island OVA & found it to be super amazing (and wondered why peeps were hating on that arc at the time). And before starting on JoJo Part 4, I got impatient waiting on the rest of the Part 3 anime - and so I happened upon a fandub of Josuke vs Highway Star's user and immediately felt that he could be my favorite JoJo. There's just something about these Shonen series arcs/sagas that resonated with me deeply. Defo should find more like 'em

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I can finally recognize this that Togashi drew for JoJo's 25th. Of all the characters to choose from lol. I guess I'll see where his character goes.

wADTVHv.png

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can sorta see myself not enjoying Part 7 as much as I have been if I paid more heed the beginning of it w/ what was presented & expecting more satisfying closure from that stuff.

Similarly there might be a few things near the start of the Part 4 manga that are briefly brought into light - like some underground 'organization' that Hazamada touts in one speech bubble but seemed to have been quickly dropped
Yup. It seems when Araki decides to introduce too many characters or include plots other than "a bunch of pretty dudes go somewhere to beat someone up", there ends up being a lot of wasted potential. It's why Parts 3 and 5 are my favorite, even if I still love 7.

What does work in 7s favor though is that it's a Western. I think it fits the vibe when a character shows up only to never be mentioned again, or gets a huge backstory that takes up a few chapters only to eventually be unceremoniously killed.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
SBR has a problem of being so obviously split up into two parts. It's like it became an entirely different series when it went on to become a Seinen. I personally don't think the concessions to what was "set up" in the first part are interesting enough to be too upset, but I can see why a lot of people have problems with it.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Wow, I considered it for a second, but didn't think Araki would do it that quick.

RIP Polpo, I guess lol.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. It seems when Araki decides to introduce too many characters or include plots other than "a bunch of pretty dudes go somewhere to beat someone up", there ends up being a lot of wasted potential. It's why Parts 3 and 5 are my favorite, even if I still love 7.
One of the things that I think work well in part 7 is that it's focused on only 2 characters instead of a team. It allows the other characters to avoid the Avdol/Kakyoin thing of "we're in the team and always there but the author has no idea what to do with us and we just stand on the side commenting the battle". It's interesting to read SBR along Phantom Blood to see Araki taking inspiration of his earlier works.