• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I've been showing the anime to my girlfriend who doesn't even care for anime and she's digging it so far. We're by Stardust Crusaders. Avdol's her favorite character which is hilarious to me because he's gonna get shot in the head in a few episodes.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been showing the anime to my girlfriend who doesn't even care for anime and she's digging it so far. We're by Stardust Crusaders. Avdol's her favorite character which is hilarious to me because he's gonna get shot in the head in a few episodes.

Avdol: the only black guy who died first twice.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Avdol is alive in the Cream/Hand subspace.

He could cauterize his wounds to stop from bleeding to death.

Hikari_Ryu

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Finished Golden Wind yesterday, I really liked it but Diavolo was kind of a weak antagonist motivation wise. Here's a list of my rankings:

Part
- Stardust Crusaders
- Golden Wind
- Battle Tendency
- Diamond is Unbreakable
- Phantom Blood

Jojo
- Joseph
- Jotaro
- Josuke
- Giorno
- Jonathan

Main Cast
- Stardust Crusaders
- Golden Wind
- Diamond is Unbreakable
- Battle Tendency
- Phantom Blood

Main Villain
- DIO (Part 3)
- Yosikage Kira
- Dio (Part 1)
- Kars
- Diavolo

Side Villains
- Golden Wind
- Stardust Crusaders
- Battle Tendency
- Diamond is Unbreakable
- Phantom Blood

Plot
- Golden Wind
- Stardust Crusaders
- Battle Tendency
- Diamond is Unbreakable
- Phantom Blood

Top 5 Best Characters
- Joseph
- Bucciarati
- Dio
- Polnareff
- Jotaro

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Am I missing something or did Avdol definitely not die and just got seriously injured by a cactus? it was a moment played for laughs, and if gyro hadnt been so ruthless he would def have been a major contender in the race.

---

I think Diavolo's motivation was good, he just so utterly failed in it that its difficult to keep in mind what it was. he would have felt much more powerful if they didnt know who he was or what he looked like or even his name until the very last moment, but instead the perspective keeps shifting between him being sort of a quasi protagonist who's barely hanging on and the overwhelmingly busted antagonist.

chariot throws a wrench in the whole expected plot, but it's an interesting wrench.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Am I missing something or did Avdol definitely not die and just got seriously injured by a cactus? it was a moment played for laughs, and if gyro hadnt been so ruthless he would def have been a major contender in the race.
Honestly i don't remember, he was such a disappointment my mind decided to erase him for good :(

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly i don't remember, he was such a disappointment my mind decided to erase him for good :(
well I'm pretty sure he was fine. it felt like he wasnt a major character specifically because he was so close to the original avdol it would have felt like a rehash. i could see a descendent or ancestor being a jobro in a hypothetical future part.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Swap jotaro for jolyne or josuke and i'm in, maybe keep the guy as a mentor figure
jolyne and josuke already have their counterparts in the new continuity. if steel ball run was a reimagining of part 1 in a different genre, and jojolion is that for part 4 and kind of 6, it makes sense to me that if part 9 existed it would be some amalgam of part 3 and 5. I know you'd prefer jotaro didnt show up again, but i just find that a bit unlikely.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
jolyne and josuke already have their counterparts in the new continuity. if steel ball run was a reimagining of part 1 in a different genre, and jojolion is that for part 4 and kind of 6, it makes sense to me that if part 9 existed it would be some amalgam of part 3 and 5. I know you'd prefer jotaro didnt show up again, but i just find that a bit unlikely.
I think caato=jolyne is too loose to be considered, i mean, it's as much as a parallel as Jobin = Giorno and jobin is a god damn "drug" dealer

Jotaro has 3 similar counterparts

Edit: wouldn't it be better to just use Joseph? He hasnt shown up yet

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I think caato=jolyne is too loose to be considered, i mean, it's as much as a parallel as Jobin = Giorno and jobin is a god damn "drug" dealer

Jotaro has 3 similar counterparts

Edit: wouldn't it be better to just use Joseph? He hasnt shown up yet
kaato was in jail for 15 years at green dolphin street prison and has a similar hairstyle. I think its pretty overt. I never got any hint Jobin was meant to be giorno.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
kaato was in jail for 15 years at green dolphin street prison and has a similar hairstyle. I think its pretty overt. I never got any hint Jobin was meant to be giorno.
Honestly you could loosely fit a lot of people into giorno's role because they're dealing with mafia stories... none that'd satisfy me to the point of saying"THATS HIM", same for Caato/Jolyne... she has the hair and all but idk, i wished the Jolyne got a part... she's also much more greedy than the jolyne i remember xD though everyone from original verse is a bit worse as a person

Though josuke didnt really got a part since he's sharing it with jotaro isn't he lol?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly you could loosely fit a lot of people into giorno's role because they're dealing with mafia stories... none that'd satisfy me to the point of saying"THATS HIM", same for Caato/Jolyne... she has the hair and all but idk, i wished the Jolyne got a part... she's also much more greedy than the jolyne i remember xD though everyone from original verse is a bit worse as a person

Though josuke didnt really got a part since he's sharing it with jotaro isn't he lol?
you mean kira, right?

I don't think its reasonable to think of this as a direct reboot of each and every individual part. some characters will have different roles and be more in the background. seems like thats what's happened to Kaato (though i expect she'll be important in the endgame, and feel like shes been built up as that from the start).

As with Avdol, the point of the new universe has never seemed to be to solely bring back characters in an extremely satisfying way. a lot of the time they're just cute references, and even when they're more fleshed out they're treated as completely different people. (cuz they are)

Based on some things Araki has said, I think the only reason he doesnt make it a completely different non-referential universe each part is so he doesn't feel like he's trying to pretend his earlier work doesnt exist.

It's more of a writing constraint/experiment than a series that is totally beholden to itself, anymore.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
you mean kira, right?

I don't think its reasonable to think of this as a direct reboot of each and every individual part. some characters will have different roles and be more in the background. seems like thats what's happened to Kaato (though i expect she'll be important in the endgame, and feel like shes been built up as that from the start).

As with Avdol, the point of the new universe has never seemed to be to solely bring back characters in an extremely satisfying way. a lot of the time they're just cute references, and even when they're more fleshed out they're treated as completely different people. (cuz they are)

Based on some things Araki has said, I think the only reason he doesnt make it a completely different non-referential universe each part is so he doesn't feel like he's trying to pretend his earlier work doesnt exist.

It's more of a writing constraint/experiment than a series that is totally beholden to itself, anymore.
Josefumi kujo and kira are josuke, these are jotaro and kira, josefumi is even going through the same quest jotaro did(saving holly), except he's cooler D:

I think he's getting some character concepts he had and updating them, kira got a small redemption, jotaro got reworked int josefumi and Kyo(who is also okuyasu), koichi is much cooler now in hirose-chan, and i love what he did to yukako, but at the same time it makes the lines between parallels really blurry...

You could make a case for, say, shizuka being tsurugi, since they shared their initial appearance and are both kids without control of their stands, some characters are very mixed up

Smol diego looked a lot like giorno, im only saying this because he was adorable

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Josefumi kujo and kira are josuke, these are jotaro and kira, josefumi is even going through the same quest jotaro did(saving holly), except he's cooler D:

I think he's getting some character concepts he had and updating them, kira got a small redemption, jotaro got reworked int josefumi and Kyo(who is also okuyasu), koichi is much cooler now in hirose-chan, and i love what he did to yukako, but at the same time it makes the lines between paralleles really blurry...

You could make a case for, say, shizuka being tsurugi, sonce they shared their initial appearance and are both kids without control of their stands, some characters are very mixed up
Josefumi is meant to sound like Joseph. Kujo is jotaro's last name, sure, but I don't think that counts as much, lot of mixed last names. and he literally looks exactly like Josuke. I think of him more as a version of Josuke and I feel like I'm meant to. Its possible that he even has the same origin, since he was raised by a single mom who didn't seem to have expected or wanted a kid, and might have met SBR's Joseph Joestar.

I agree that there are a lot of Jotaro-likes in Jojolion, tho, Kira and Kyo stand out as feeling very analogous. (not to mention they're both Holly's actual children)

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Josefumi is meant to sound like Joseph. Kujo is jotaro's last name, sure, but I don't think that counts as much, lot of mixed last names. and he literally looks exactly like Josuke. I think of him more as a version of Josuke and I feel like I'm meant to. Its possible that he even has the same origin, since he was raised by a single mom who didn't seem to have expected or wanted a kid, and might have met SBR's Joseph Joestar.

I agree that there are a lot of Jotaro-likes in Jojolion, tho, Kira and Kyo stand out as feeling very analogous. (not to mention they're both Holly's actual children)
Yeah, we have plenty of jotaro parallels, and can make a case for jolyne and joseph, but the ones for giorno are so loose...
I've heard people comparing him to kira(strong set of morals he made, anti-hero, kills if needed), gappy(destroying a group of mobsters, won't leave most enemies alive, very smart, maaaybe has some diego/johnny in him if you believe crackpot theories about the corpse) and jobin(literal mafia boss, lots of determination), but none of these really strike me as "oh thats my boy!"

I see some josuke 4 in norisuke, but these wpuld be sort of the same qualities josuke had from his dad lol, funny, king nothing does pretty much the same as hermit purple but with smells

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
SBR Avdol doesn't die. he just eats shit early on.
Probably a blessing considering SBR's death count. He definitely would have died if he stuck around.
I just want sbrverse giorno u-u
Josuke already broke into child Giorno's house while fighting Kyo, he even had Giorno's ladybug on his shirt.

Really though, SBRverse Giorno should appear in Part 9 (if that ever happens). Introducing any expy of him this late in part 8 would feel like a waste.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Probably a blessing considering SBR's death count. He definitely would have died if he stuck around.
Any sbr supporting character that didnt get killed(or character-killed?) .-. That part is brutal
At least in vento aureo Araki spared Mista lol
Really though, SBRverse Giorno should appear in Part 9 (if that ever happens). Introducing any expy of him this late in part 8 would feel like a waste.
im always assuming jojolion will be the last :/

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

Josuke already broke into child Giorno's house while fighting Kyo, he even had Giorno's ladybug on his shirt.

oh absolutely he should be a protagonist or a main jobro (gyro or yasuho level)

Jojolion definitely feels like it could be the final jojo outright, but we'll see. i know araki is getting less gung ho about writing this stuff til he literally dies

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Any sbr supporting character that didnt get killed(or character-killed?) .-. That part is brutal
At least in vento aureo Araki spared Mista lol

im always assuming jojolion will be the last :/

everything said about that here seems pretty definitive, to be honest.

I could definitely be ok with that. there is a nice symmetry to steel ball being a send-up to one half of the original continuity and Jojolion being the same to another.

watching this just now its kinda weird to me just how much fans seem to believe there'll be a part 9. i mean, who knows, but araki seems here like the kind of guy who reads these fan discussions and is up to date on them. i wouldn't hold my breath.

However Jojolion seems like its got quite a bit left in the tank, and I believe itll be a worthy end.

Deleted member 6026

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly certain those subtitles are inaccurate.

But nevertheless, I do suspect that JoJolion is the final part. Thematically, it makes a lot of sense to end it all here.

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

But nevertheless, I do suspect that JoJolion is the final part. Thematically, it makes a lot of sense to end it all here.
before i finished stone ocean I had no idea how much of an ENDING it really was. What we're getting now just feels like a really cool bonus, which is still awesome. but that story definitively ended, and the lengths gone to in order to make it clear the new continuity is wholly separate are pretty wild.

even when we got dio's old stand back, it was the new continuity's dio who weilded it. having valentine bring him back is a way of saying "old jojo can/will never truly cross over into this world, even when a guy has a stand you'd think is purpose built for that sort of thing."

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

He's put so many jojos in a single part, also the name, it really feels like itll end there. It's all about breaking a family curse, last time that happened we got SO

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck are these subtitles? He's not talking about the anime. At all. There is not a single topic he's talking about that's reflected in the subtitles, and vice-versa.
Who did that? Why?
ok apparently it was posted the day before april fools? that would explain it. A lot of things in there fit the MO of someone trying to specifically disappoint people. I obviously don't speak the language at all.

Sorry to spread dumb stuff like that.

However I still wouldn't be surprised if this were the last part.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ok apparently it was posted the day before april fools? that would explain it. A lot of things in there fit the MO of someone trying to specifically disappoint people. I obviously don't speak the language at all.

Sorry to spread dumb stuff like that.
Oh no, you shouldn't apologize. I'm more upset that someone made that, to mislead people into a narrative, and then that narrative spreads without any basis even years after the "joke", if that was one, is over. It's not your fault for being tricked by something that's made to trick people!

There's already a lot of dubious things being repeated over and over about Araki's work without a semblance of proof, I really don't like the fact that someone decided to throw more oil into the fire.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Oh no, you shouldn't apologize. I'm more upset that someone made that, to mislead people into a narrative, and then that narrative spreads without any basis even years after the "joke", if that was one, is over. It's not your fault for being tricked by something that's made to trick people!

There's already a lot of dubious things being repeated over and over about Araki's work without a semblance of proof, I really don't like the fact that someone decided to throw more oil into the fire.
I think the most blatant lie is that one where he doesn't know shit about the songs he puts in and just chooses randomly

Reading through all interviews and his book there's no way a guy that writes about every single tiny detail in a character's life would just half ass that xP

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
lol, so wait, people think araki is a fake music boy? he's just pretending for the attention?

that's the funniest thing i've heard honestly.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
lol, so wait, people think araki is a fake music boy? he's just pretending for the attention?

that's the funniest thing i've heard honestly.
They also say this guy that writes an A3 sheet for every single character's history forgets powers and plot points so.

But i think someone said he chooses songs only for the name and not the lyrics when several stands/characters are just perfect fits >_>

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
They also say this guy that writes an A3 sheet for every single character's history forgets powers and plot points so.

But i think someone said he chooses songs only for the name and not the lyrics when several stands/characters are just perfect fits >_>
Giorno's "give life to a human being" power was clearly intended to reflect his connection to DIO, it's not a random thing that came out of nowhere. dunno how someone would think that or any of the other examples of specific abilities being sidelined was just a careless thing one could misplace, like a character in an RPG having a generic fireball spell that suddenly disappears.

aside: I think it's really genius how that particular power emulates specifically how Dio's World worked in the Jotaro fight, where Jotaro could mostly just watch as Dio beat him up. And I appreciate how GER is essentially an evolution of that ability, where Giorno can give his opponent INFINITE life. (which also seems at first like a good thing)

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Only Josuke is the JoJo here. Their full-on names have to somehow translate to having two "Jo" sounds within
Well, by that criteria we boil them down to three(2 and a half lmao):
Josefumi Kujo, Josuke(jo) higashikata and Johnny Joestar(appeared enough to count imo).

*friendly reminder that Joseph Joestar is around 87 years old and may or may not be a thing

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
Well, by that criteria we boil them down to three(2 and a half lmao):
Josefumi Kujo, Josuke(jo) higashikata and Johnny Joestar(appeared enough to count imo).

*friendly reminder that Joseph Joestar is around 87 years old and may or may not be a thing
It's still great that the family tree lists both Joseph and Suzie Q. without any hinting at any major changes in the SBRverse continuity.

SBR Joseph probably used the spin to shoot rock human Kars into space.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
I thought people had figured out that Joseph would be about.... 89 years old....
Yeah, about the same age as he would be in part 6. The family tree from early part 8 lists him as still marrying Suzie and having Holly.

I'm still not convinced that Satoru Akefu is Joseph just because they have similar ages.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, about the same age as he would be in part 6. The family tree from early part 8 lists him as still marrying Suzie and having Holly.

I'm still not convinced that Satoru Akefu is Joseph just because they have similar ages.
I agree. I think the doctor isn't actually the user or anyone particularly important.