• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
man, if I were araki, i would be sorely tempted to release parts 9-20 all at once, each consisting of a single page where an increasingly nonsensical protagonist is introduced, each possessing 1 more ball than the last

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
if Jojolion can swing it, of all the remaining parts it would be the one where I think they should liscense some of the stand references used in the story. specifically Vitamin C for the first half (funky and mysterious and obviously the stand of the first main overarching villain) and Paisley Park for the second half (cause that song is basically directly about the core message of jojo as a series. belief in people and their ability to come together and dispell darkness- or break curses, as might be more appropriate.)

Part 8 in general has far more direct connection between the literal characteristics of stand weilders and what their stand name is referencing. it would be rad if they liscensed more than just what they'd need for two eds, and used those songs throughout the part when appropriate.

eg. the radio starts playing "Soft And Wet" somewhere in the distance in or near Kira's apartment at the moment when Josuke fully reveals its form.

It would def be a crazy expense, but more generally worthwhile than in many of the other parts. (certain part 5 and 6 and to a lesser degree 7 characters really fit their references, but there are so many examples where the connection is (probably intentionally) superficial.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
if Jojolion can swing it, of all the remaining parts it would be the one where I think they should liscense some of the stand references used in the story. specifically Vitamin C for the first half (funky and mysterious and obviously the stand of the first main overarching villain) and Paisley Park for the second half (cause that song is basically directly about the core message of jojo as a series. belief in people and their ability to come together and dispell darkness- or break curses, as might be more appropriate.)

Part 8 in general has far more direct connection between the literal characteristics of stand weilders and what their stand name is referencing. it would be rad if they liscensed more than just what they'd need for two eds, and used those songs throughout the part when appropriate.

eg. the radio starts playing "Soft And Wet" somewhere in the distance in or near Kira's apartment at the moment when Josuke fully reveals its form.

It would def be a crazy expense, but more generally worthwhile than in many of the other parts. (certain part 5 and 6 and to a lesser degree 7 characters really fit their references, but there are so many examples where the connection is (probably intentionally) superficial.

Getting a Prince song license certainly won't be easy. Your point about part 8's stands having more of a connection to their wielders does get me wondering about something with regards to the anime though. The Higashikata family stands all have King in their names. I wonder how the goofy stand name translations will work around this.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Getting a Prince song license certainly won't be easy. Your point about part 8's stands having more of a connection to their wielders does get me wondering about something with regards to the anime though. The Higashikata family stands all have King in their names. I wonder how the goofy stand name translations will work around this.
yeah it would be really difficult, but i feel like it would pay off in a way it might not for other parts with similarly expensive lisences. I do also wonder how the substitutions will work for that set of stands.

of course, the music is gonna be dope no matter what, and id be super happy to get surprise picks that I like even more than i might have liked the obvious choice, as has become tradition.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

Iirc Paper Moon King and Speed king also fit the characters like a glove(tho the last one is sort of an argument as to why Jobin wouldn't be the main baddie)

Also they might need to change Jobin's name '-'(Tom Jobim)

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
It's not that colorful
it feels like they tried to make it seem less silly in general, not just the coloring. like the framing of all the action makes it look far less like ridiculous bullshit and more like traditionally paced cinematography.

fascinating to see, but thinking about what my impression was when watching episode one of the 2012 anime, knowing basically nothing about the tone, I'd have gotten a totally different vibe if this is what I saw

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
it feels like they tried to make it seem less silly in general, not just the coloring. like the framing of all the action makes it look far less like ridiculous bullshit and more like traditionally paced cinematography.

fascinating to see, but thinking about what my impression was when watching episode one of the 2012 anime, knowing basically nothing about the tone, I'd have gotten a totally different vibe if this is what I saw
It's not "silly", it's the bizzarreness that is basically araki's brand...

This anime trailer is good but it's not JoJo, it's some generic stuff that lacks soul compared to the anime we got imo

It looks good but it lacks its signature

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
It's not "silly", it's the bizzarreness that is basically araki's brand...

This anime trailer is good but it's not JoJo, it's some generic stuff that lacks soul compared to the anime we got imo

It looks good but it lacks its signature
i mean... zeppeli's first appearance is straight up silly. its great! but that's the first word that comes to mind. it transcends that in many ways, but im speaking from the pov of the people making this pilot and how they saw it. they were clearly trying to make a much more monotone version of the source material.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
i mean... zeppeli's first appearance is straight up silly. its great! but that's the first word that comes to mind. it transcends that in many ways, but im speaking from the pov of the people making this pilot and how they saw it. they were clearly trying to make a much more monotone version of the source material.
I think silly is a bad word for it, "cheesy" is more in line...
Phantom blood is pretty much a mexican soap opera, so it's exagerated, like a theatre play, some people find it silly because they're no fun and can't respect it, so i think it's a bad term to describe it xP

(Some people think cheesy is bad too but i'm not an english teacher to find the best word for that lol)

That's also probaby why they changed it to be more bram stoker and less la usurpadora

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
It looks very much in style with the part 3 ova. Which is a cool look and very well made.

But I agree it doesn't really capture jojo in any way. Not like DavidPro's adaptations are flawless, but they do bring over that spirit of Jojo. Plus they add their own things that would fit in the context of the story to it.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
jojo is mostly just a series of elaborate build-ups to a punchline by way of tricking you into falling into typical patterns of thinking, and it owns.

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Who would win : Diavolo or Weather Report (without Heavy Weather), I still think WP wins , his stand is broken even without HW.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Who would win : Diavolo or Weather Report (without Heavy Weather), I still think WP wins , his stand is broken even without HW.
the specific utility of king crimson unbinding its user from causality give it a huge advantage over any stand that relies on their abilities making physical contact without any real warping of reality.

in other words, diavolo could phase through poison frogs.

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
the specific utility of king crimson unbinding its user from causality give it a huge advantage over any stand that relies on their abilities making physical contact without any real warping of reality.

in other words, diavolo could phase through poison frogs.
But diavolo can only erase 10 seconds worth of time , he would probably be oxygen poisoned like Pucci did. Weather report can literally destroy the planet by itself since WP manipulates the atmosphere.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
But diavolo can only erase 10 seconds worth of time , he would probably be oxygen poisoned like Pucci did. Weather report can literally destroy the planet by itself since WP manipulates the atmosphere.
but he can also predict that moment of being poisoned and then take actions to avoid it. (since if the time that contains a fated thing is erased it no longer has to happen)

additionally, if he is caught in the oxygen trap, he just needs to erase time, walk over to weather, and then kill him instantly after normal time resumes. oxygen goes back to normal.

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
but he can also predict that moment of being poisoned and then take actions to avoid it. (since if the time that contains a fated thing is erased it no longer has to happen)
I would imagine in a extreme 1vs1 weather report can just eliminate the ozone layer and kill everyone :p.Serious answer , if they fought indoors WP can easily win , predicting and erasing 10 seconds worth of time won't completely protect him from the constant effect of poisoning (which why I also believe in an indoor fight , Fugo could beat Diavolo as well).

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I would imagine in a extreme 1vs1 weather report can just eliminate the ozone layer and kill everyone :p.Serious answer , if they fought indoors WP can easily win , predicting and erasing 10 seconds worth of time won't completely protect him from the constant effect of poisoning (which why I also believe in an indoor fight , Fugo could beat Diavolo as well).
fugo's viruses have a really limited range and require time to disperse tho, easy to step out of the way in erased time.

And like I said, he would definitely affect diavolo for the few microseconds, but then his enemy would be dead. just like how bruno got a tiny zipper hit in on him before he activated his ability, but the remainder of his attack was bypassed. (With Purple Haze that's time enough to cut off the affected area like he did with Giorno's Scorpions in the final fight)

Also: if weather is so determined to defeat diavolo that he would expand the range of his attack enough to affect himself and bystanders (despite the fact we have no hard data on how far that particular attack CAN be expanded, it appears it can only affect a small area at close range) all diavolo would have to do is erase 10 seconds, during which Weather himself would die, and then when normal time resumed the effect of his power would be gone.

All this aside: Heavy Weather is absolutely a Requiem-level stand, and would be able to defeat Diavolo, though unlike Giorno's Requiem (the only properly manifested Requiem stand we ever saw), fighting back would not be totally MUDA.

EDIT: oh great, and now once again I'm fantasizing about a part 6 Giorno sidestory.

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
we were talking WITHOUT Heavy Weather.
Pretty sure he can make a high temperature room or oxygen poisoning, KC can't delete all seconds he's exposed to stuff, id weather wanted to drown him, he could xO, honestly, he only went to green day's territory because the counter is just not moving(down), if it was on a timer he would eventually perish, otherwise kc having a time limit is dumb

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure he can make a high temperature room or oxygen poisoning, KC can't delete all seconds he's exposed to stuff, id weather wanted to drown him, he could xO, honestly, he only went to green day's territory because the counter is just not moving(down), if it was on a timer he would eventually perish, otherwise kc having a time limit is dumb
like i said there's no evidence weather can do the oxygen poisoning thing at long range, and it takes a while to fully affect its target.

weather is powerful, but like most stands his non-Heavy Weather ability requires knowing where his target is and keeping track of them, and whatever effect he creates will be dispelled if he's killed.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the artstyle of that ova fits perfectly with part one and the Hara/HnK style

GlassEmpires

Dec 10, 2018
Interesting turn of events. I thought for sure the head doctor was either an illusion created by Tooru's Stand, or an unwitting vessel (like Hayato, after Kira attached Bites the Dust).
well, tooru mentioned that the photo doesn't him in it, which is suspicious af for dialogue in jojo's

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Jonathan: Let himself get kicked in the face by Dio when they were kids so he could get close to him
Joseph: Used his own his blood to locate Shizuka
Jotaro: Allowed Anubis to stab him
Josuke: Punched himself using Superfly
Giorno: The Bricksnake incident
Jolyne: Set herself on fire
Johnny: Died for a minute to pull one over on the Civil War guy
And now Gappy: Put himself in the hospital so he could get to the hospital

Running away isn't the only Joestar secret technique.

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Jonathan: Let himself get kicked in the face by Dio when they were kids so he could get close to him
Joseph: Used his own his blood to locate Shizuka
Jotaro: Allowed Anubis to stab him
Josuke: Punched himself using Superfly
Giorno: The Bricksnake incident
Jolyne: Set herself on fire
Johnny: Died for a minute to pull one over on the Civil War guy
And now Gappy: Put himself in the hospital so he could get to the hospital

Running away isn't the only Joestar secret technique.
Giorno did way more than brick snake, he's got some issues with lack of self preservation tbh

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Giorno did way more than brick snake, he's got some issues with lack of self preservation tbh
I was gonna mention spraying his blood on Ghiaccio and all the amputation, but I figured that intentionally contracting a flesh eating virus was the star example for Giorno's use of the Joestar Self-Injury Strategem lol

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I was gonna mention spraying his blood on Ghiaccio and all the amputation, but I figured that intentionally contracting a flesh eating virus was the star example for Giorno's use of the Joestar Self-Injury Strategem lol
Remember the time he cut off his last hand in an airplane window? Good times