• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
serious question: why do people like cg openings in anime?

when i started watching jojo and loving it, i was a bit taken aback by the cg and it honestly gave me the impression of a lower budget more than anything. I still liked the openings, and bloody stream does a good job of hiding the models behind flat shaded shadow figures, but as soon as i got to crazy noisy bizzare town i was glad there was no cg.
I really liked the CG animation in the openings from Part 1 - 3, they definitively were not low-budget considering how high-quality they were. I was, and still am a little, disappointed they dropped them for the more traditional 2D openings, which I assume happened because of what I assume was a budget cut that Part 4 received in relation to the previous parts.

again, i think the models are cool and i like the way they emulate the flourishes of araki's style, but they always seemed to be very plainly models, and never fooled me for a second the way a lot of the subtle 3d actually used in the show does.
I don't think they were ever meant to fool you into thinking it was 2D, 3D animation can be beautiful in its own way, Pixar has been doing for at least 20 years now. lol

I don't get the appeal; arent people supposed to be here for detailed 2d animation? that's the medium after all. I'm genuinely not trying to start shit, i just was a bit shocked when i saw people lamenting the loss of 3D after id watched parts 1-4 pretty much ignoring online discussions
I don't see why people would be supposed to be here for the 2D animation.
Anime is not defined by being 2D animation, otherwise stuff like Land of the Lustrous (or 50%+ from parts of recent Mecha anime) wouldn't be anime.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked the CG animation in the openings from Part 1 - 3, they definitively were not low-budget considering how high-quality they were. I was, and still am a little, disappointed they dropped them for the more traditional 2D openings, which I assume happened because of what I assume was a budget cut that Part 4 received in relation to the previous parts.

I don't think they were ever meant to fool you into thinking it was 2D, 3D animation can be beautiful in its own way, Pixar has been doing for at least 20 years now. lol

Anime is not defined by being 2D animation, otherwise stuff like Land of the Lustrous (or 50%+ from parts of recent Mecha anime) wouldn't be anime.
the problem with cg is it looks extremely dated very quickly. and it definitely was trying to evoke a drawing style, not be its own thing.

land of the lustrous is ALL in 3d. this is a 2d animated show based on 2d drawings that it heavily references in its composition. plus its one of the more unique art styles in manga. part 4 and 5 get to cram in even more direct references and stylish elaborations that look much more fluid and accurate than cg of 1-3's level ever could.

Anyways, I don't despise those intros, i was just sort of curious about why someone would "prefer" them. I'm not sure of your preference but what I'm mainly getting is its about the novelty of seeing the characters in another medium?

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
the problem with cg is it looks extremely dated very quickly. and it definitely was trying to evoke a drawing style, not be its own thing.

land of the lustrous is ALL in 3d. this is a 2d animated show based on 2d drawings that it heavily references in its composition. plus its one of the more unique art styles in manga. part 4 and 5 get to cram in even more direct references and stylish elaborations that look much more fluid and accurate than cg of 1-3's level ever could.

Anyways, I don't despise those intros, i was just sort of curious about why someone would "prefer" them. I'm not sure of your preference but what I'm mainly getting is its about the novelty of seeing the characters in another medium?
Yes, there's a certain fun from the novelty of it, seeing these characters rendered out in this super different but also super well realized style was great, the way they were able to adapt Araki's style was awesome too, it had a certain kind of grandeur to it.

I don't really agree with the bit about the references, the CG openings were also filled with those, and I don't feel the 2D openings did any more references, or better/more interesting references, than the previous ones did.

I do feel one of the big reasons they decided to go with the high quality CG openings was to draw attention to the anime tho, and it sure worked with me.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, there's a certain fun from the novelty of it, seeing these characters rendered out in this super different but also super well realized style was great, the way they were able to adapt Araki's style was awesome too, it had a certain kind of grandeur to it.

I don't really agree with the bit about the references, the CG openings were also filled with those, and I don't feel the 2D openings did any more references, or better/more interesting references, than the previous ones did.

I do feel one of the big reasons they decided to go with the high quality CG openings was to draw attention to the anime tho, and it sure worked with me.
i guess the fact that it's not a typical choice for anime openings is a good reason, as you said it probably got a lot of attention. I guess i'm not really thinking from the perspective of someone trying to sell a show, and more being like "the show is good and people should watch it solely by virtue of that" which isn't realistic, lol.

I'm not a big anime guy so maybe on some subconscious level the difference in style for the op helped me get into it.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
i guess the fact that it's not a typical choice for anime openings is a good reason, as you said it probably got a lot of attention. I guess i'm not really thinking from the perspective of someone trying to sell a show, and more being like "the show is good and people should watch it solely by virtue of that" which isn't realistic, lol.

I'm not a big anime guy so maybe on some subconscious level the difference in style for the op helped me get into it.
The opening is really there for that, sell the show, it's probably the first contact anyone is going to have with any animated show, be it back in the pre-internet days or nowadays.
I also feel that some of the push back that the 2D openings got from the fandom came from the JOJO anime having CG openings kinda became part of its DNA for a lot of people, the super different and novel opening helps it go viral, it creates discussion, and from there the fandom forms.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

this will grow on me for sure, but the lack of absurd Italian accents is a mistake.

also giorno doesnt sound composed enough, but it could just be this scene (which is, to be fair, the most off his game he's ever been, getting in his first real stand fight)

question: is the jojonium series cancelled or just on hold? also they all have english translations, right?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
this will grow on me for sure, but the lack of absurd Italian accents is a mistake.

also giorno doesnt sound composed enough, but it could just be this scene (which is, to be fair, the most off his game he's ever been, getting in his first real stand fight)

question: is the jojonium series cancelled or just on hold? also they all have english translations, right?

The Jojoniums for the first three parts are all out in English. You can even read them through the Shonen Jump app (the one that costs $2 a month and gives you a bunch of a different manga)
Right now they're slowly releasing the 2016 reprint of Diamond is Unbreakable in English. Volume 3 (of 6) is out next month.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
The Jojoniums for the first three parts are all out in English. You can even read them through the Shonen Jump app (the one that costs $2 a month and gives you a bunch of a different manga)
Right now they're slowly releasing the 2016 reprint of Diamond is Unbreakable in English. Volume 3 (of 6) is out next month.
ah ok so everything is still being released they just didnt keep the same branding. planning on getting em soon.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Am I an idiot for thinking Bruno sounds too much like a thug in this scene for the dub?
nah, i think he sounds perfect for what hes doing. he's got an air of sophistication in his voice while clearly he's making it clear that he's not fucking around. i think what i need to hear more of is giorno in other contexts than lying on the ground with his neck zipped open, which admittedly is a hard situation in which to sound the way you normally do.

Oct 25, 2017
nah, i think he sounds perfect for what hes doing. he's got an air of sophistication in his voice while clearly he's making it clear that he's not fucking around. i think what i need to hear more of is giorno in other contexts than lying on the ground with his neck zipped open, which admittedly is a hard situation in which to sound the way you normally do.
I guess I'll get used to it...I guess. Sub Bruno's voice is way deeper and charismatic to me at least. Giorno's English VA has a lot to live up to.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'll get used to it...I guess. Sub Bruno's voice is way deeper and charismatic to me at least. Giorno's English VA has a lot to live up to.
I don't think he's going for the same approach as sub bruno, who definitely went more Shakespearean/oratory.

and yeah giorno's voice acting was stand-out for me in a season full of great voice acting.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
It's been in France since almost 20 years or so.
The Americas are just super later as usual.
I wasnt sure about france but yeah
Pretty happy it's even being published in brazil but im scared af they didn't confirm part 4~8 because the publisher that got it has a history of cancelling series :/

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
well folks, I have found the perfect jojo part 6 ED1.

released 1 year after the end of stone ocean's publication (2004), which fits with the precedent of savage garden's I want you, released in 1997 vs DiU's end in 1995.

The theme of the song fits the beginning of the part, which is when ED's always make the most impact, though it carries similar themes for the first half. Jolyne spends a lot of time being disheartened by her boyfriend and many others who appear to have turned their backs on her, and she responds by rejecting them all in her heart. The most important of those relationships is not romantic in nature, but the young angst in the song fits for it too.

Also there's the name of the singer....

It would be so easy to do it, guys

EDIT: holy shit just noticed the star on her shoulder. it seems like it was a prominent feature in her branding, including on that specific single.
fb9fc92b414de7ec27c7b894a5399cf7.600x600x1.png

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
read the beginning of stone ocean again. Goo Goo dolls feels like the first stand to meaningfully repeat an ability but in a different way, and i honestly love it. Araki just changed a few things about it: range of effect is shorter, effect occurs instantly and stops at a fixed point, and the user can't use it on themselves.

the fact that most of the fight is about trying NOT to get bigger again is such an interesting flip of the Little Feet fight.

I kinda love all the variations on this going forward, where a very familliar ability plays out very differently because of the context and specific details.

Sandman is much scarier than any of Koichi's acts, because of how brutal and efficient he is at using his very similar (but not exactly) ability.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New art for the new Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan OVA, this is awesome, didn't think they'd do The Run so soon.

EGWC8s8UwAUcYaG

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
the Thus Spoke art style is very interesting. they definitely go for the proportions of later parts but the shading and faces feel very part 4-5.

I'm kinda glad, it feels less like an "art spoiler".

The Run is a really good chapter that fully captures the thus spoke thing of outsmarting unfathomable otherworldly powers, and then peacing out and not getting further involved.

by the way, I truly believe the only character Araki made that could be considered a self-insert is the manga artist that dies at the beginning of the oingo boingo arc. intentionally creating an exaggerated guilless version of himself just to kill him immediately seems like his style, totally. Rohan has been a way to communicate parts of his philosophy about manga, but I don't think there's a lot of him personally that the character draws from (pun intended)

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017

I know this post is like 10 days old but they probably weren't dropped for budget cuts but scheduling reasons, since they outsourced them to Kamikaze Douga.

Kamikaze Douga was announced to be working on Pop Team Epic after Stardust Crusaders finished and they also did the Batman Ninja movie, which probably prevented them from working on OPs for the series. They're also working on a movie for Netflix that accompanies and is named after Sturgill Simpson's Sound & Fury album that I presume will be similar to other album movies like Pink Floyd's The Wall or Interstellar 5555 or other movies like that.

They also do a ton of work outside of that like doing commercials, music videos, etc.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying Hamon Beat's Debunking Araki Forgot series. I don't agree with all of it but he's right that a lot of people get hung up on dumb shit.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really enjoying Hamon Beat's Debunking Araki Forgot series. I don't agree with all of it but he's right that a lot of people get hung up on dumb shit.
boy do they. its especially aggravating when something is clearly supposed to be a mystery that is never solved or a random thread he's ok with either abandoning or picking up later, and the word used is "forgot".

not everything has to be important or a chekov's gun.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
boy do they. its especially aggravating when something is clearly supposed to be a mystery that is never solved or a random thread he's ok with either abandoning or picking up later, and the word used is "forgot".

not everything has to be important or a chekov's gun.

Exactly. He didn't forget something like Star Finger. He just didn't feel it was necessary to use it again.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
In the middle of Phantom Blood. Around chapter 32.

Please tell me that the series gets better, because this is really not that good. The shitty character proportions, and the crappy dialogue that's on the level of the following:

"While Marvel Girl is distracted by Cyclops, I'll drop this car on her. She won't have time to be able to use her telekinetic powers to stop me!"

"My super-sneeze is destroying this solar system! Suspecting this might happen, I flew to a long-dead universe where all life vanished eons ago due to a terrible space-plague!"

...Are really getting on my nerves.

Deleted member 6026

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Please tell me that the series gets better, because this is really not that good.

It does. I tried reading Phantom Blood for the first time in 2006, and when I did, it elicited the same reaction from me as it did you (and I didn't return to it until 2009). But now, more than thirteen years later, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is one of my favorite manga of all time. Give it a chance. Battle Tendency, the next part, is an immediate improvement.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me that the series gets better, because this is really not that good.
Phantom Blood was a bad series even at the time of its release. The series became popular in Japan only once it hit the third part, which starts at volume 13 (don't know what chapter that is; Phantom Blood is 5 volumes long). Part 3 has aged badly if you're used to modern mangas, since it was hugely influential and a lot of it now appears cliché, but it still has some really good moments.
In general, the anime adaptation of parts 1 and 2 is better than the manga, because it cuts down some of the fat and focuses on the good elements. Unfortunately, even the anime adaptation of part 1 is too long because there's very little to salvage there.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

Please tell me that the series gets better, because this is really not that good. The shitty character proportions, and the crappy dialogue that's on the level of the following:

"While Marvel Girl is distracted by Cyclops, I'll drop this car on her. She won't have time to be able to use her telekinetic powers to stop me!"

"My super-sneeze is destroying this solar system! Suspecting this might happen, I flew to a long-dead universe where all life vanished eons ago due to a terrible space-plague!"

...Are really getting on my nerves.
a lot of people hate on early jojo for similar reasons. I think the art is great and unique, and I grew up loving cheesy superhero dialogue. its part of the charm for me, and I thoroughly enjoy it.

the focus on minute details of a character's capabilities and their environment is stuff i unironically love thinking about.

also you are massively overexaggerating with that last example.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Part 1 is great if you don't take it seriously, i see it as a mexican soap opera with vampires and i love it

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
regarding the intro to stone ocean chapter 10:

did anyone else feel like it was implied stone free eventually became much stronger than this, or that this is an inaccurate translation? cuz crushing a coin into powder takes a lot of strength, wasnt this meant to be more like she's taking a more subtle approach to escaping than just going wild?

Last edited: