• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
only reason I didn't click on this when i saw it yesterday is i kinda like zipper man :p probably not gonna agree w the ranking mostly i assumed
Zipper Man is quite possibly the most generic name they could have chosen for Sticky Fingers, but at least it's not aggressively terrible like some of the others. On the other hand, it's also not so bad it's good like Flaccid Pancake.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Zipper Man is quite possibly the most generic name they could have chosen for Sticky Fingers, but at least it's not aggressively terrible like some of the others. On the other hand, it's also not so bad it's good like Flaccid Pancake.
idk at the very least it follows the same naming convention as the actual original names of some later stands. but also one of the reasons I like jojo is it reminds me of classic marvel comics with really overwrought villain names and motivations and creative solutions to battles. Zipper Man absolutely sounds like a spider-man villain no one remembers.

flaccid pancake is probably the best one though, yes. in the context in which it's uttered literally neither it nor the real one would be disappointing to hear.

"flaccid pancake, the one who emerges from the dark, who indulges in the dark..."

man, I can't wait for that lol

EDIT: since I'm sure "Filthy Acts" is brought up in that vid as one of the good ones, I just gotta say: I despise Valentine as a person, but the one shred of respect I have for him is that he's so entirely devoted to his nationalist xenophobic dream that the fact that his power's main strength comes from swapping him out with another version of himself and potentially leaving his "real" self to die many times over doesn't even phase him.

He understands that he's long ago abandoned the person he was, and he doesn't care because he believes too strongly in what he's doing. That's some scary-ass commitment.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
idk at the very least it follows the same naming convention as the actual original names of some later stands. but also one of the reasons I like jojo is it reminds me of classic marvel comics with really overwrought villain names and motivations and creative solutions to battles. Zipper Man absolutely sounds like a spider-man villain no one remembers.

flaccid pancake is probably the best one though, yes. in the context in which it's uttered literally neither it nor the real one would be disappointing to hear.

"flaccid pancake, the one who emerges from the dark, who indulges in the dark..."

man, I can't wait for that lol

EDIT: since I'm sure "Filthy Acts" is brought up in that vid as one of the good ones, I just gotta say: I despise Valentine as a person, but the one shred of respect I have for him is that he's so entirely devoted to his nationalist xenophobic dream that the fact that his power's main strength comes from swapping him out with another version of himself and potentially leaving his "real" self to die many times over doesn't even phase him.

He understands that he's long ago abandoned the person he was, and he doesn't care because he believes too strongly in what he's doing. That's some scary-ass commitment.

"Evil that doesn't realize it's evil is the worst kind."

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
It does. I tried reading Phantom Blood for the first time in 2006, and when I did, it elicited the same reaction from me as it did you (and I didn't return to it until 2009). But now, more than thirteen years later, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is one of my favorite manga of all time. Give it a chance. Battle Tendency, the next part, is an immediate improvement.
I'm on Stardust Crusaders right now.

You were right. Phantom Blood is a 5/10, Battle Tendency is an 8, and so far in Stardust Crusaders, it's a 9.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The fuck did I just read, this new chapter is wack.
-I still don't understand how Awakening III Leaves works. Like she placed em on her cut fingers and they rejoined, so it just straight up negates damage done to anybody she places them on? Fucking OP stand bullshit right there if you ask me.
-The Head Doctor looks to be manipulating stuff on a molecular level whenever people speak or think about him, which is hard to conceptualize.
-Tooru is working with the doctor, I got major vibes for that theory from this chapter. Dude knows where the doctor is heading and wants to kill her because of how useful her stand might be to avoid the Doctor's Stand while hunting him down.
-The Higashikata curse doesn't even look to be a curse. Looks like the spin is related to the rock people cause I got major spin vibes from the stand distortion panels.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
man, i really had the opposite arc with the first 3 parts. of course, i watched the anime first, but even just reading it i definitely enjoyed the first 2 completely and then kinda was skeptical of part 3 until it really got going.

i guess jojo hits everyone differently, as unexpected as a

Thunder Cross Split Attack

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
z5ux7q9.png

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
tiny bit random but i was looking at pictures of araki's art exhibitions and I gotta say: I dont understand the hate for old characters in the new style. they're still tough and muscular, just realistically proportioned. if you actually saw a person that looked sleek and hardbodied and was 6'5 irl you'd hardly think of them as weak-looking. in fact that's the exact body type that's more likely to actually be good in a fight, versus a vanity muscle bodybuilder physique.

9oaqtatu48s31.png

(this fanart is what got me thinking about this.)

anyways I know thats only a tiny part of what people are reacting to, but when i see stuff like this:
239.jpg

my reaction is just to appreciate the surprise of seeing something familliar interpreted differently through the changes of araki's taste in character design and silhouettes.

It would honestly be boring if he drew them the same as he used to, and i expect it would be for him even moreso.

Jojo is not just a series, it's the framework for pretty much his entire career. he doesn't keep writing jojo stories to cash in, but as a way to keep himself honest, I feel like. it's said that all authors end up always writing about the same themes again and again no matter how diverse their output. jojo as a whole feels like a way of leaning into and accepting that, and intensifying the struggle to evolve and change despite the habits and feelings intrinsic to your own soul.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I like the old characters drawn in the new art style, the only problem I have is that Jonathan and Young Joseph are indistinguishable on the new style. lol

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I like the old characters drawn in the new art style, the only problem I have is that Jonathan and Young Joseph are indistinguishable on the new style. lol
well, they did look pretty similar originally, didnt they? I think araki always draws joseph with the motorcycle goggles and hat because that's how he'd try to differentiate the design if he were doing that part today. kinda like how josuke four balls has the distinguishing sailor hat.

Jonathan and Joseph never really had set outfits the way characters that came after did, they often changed their looks and wore a great variety of clothes, which obviously makes making them immediately recognizable in the new style a little challenging. (but also gives araki a chance to retroactively come up with what their "set outfit" would be)
---
re: that jojonium, i feel like Joseph's hair is the most difficult to translate to a realistic style, since its such a prototypical "spiky anime" look.

also the outfit joseph is wearing in his first appearance is a lot different from what he wears on the motorcycle in the desert, to be fair.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's my only issue. I like the new style a lot except for this point, and I don't regret buying Jojoveller even though I stopped buying the manga.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Unpopular opinion:
I love his new style and wish the earlier parts were redone in the same style. Would probably make it a more enjoyable read for me

OP
OP
Matsukaze

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
its so funny how koichi learns how to be a tough and competent hooligan by the standards of his weird small town but he's still hopelessly naive in part 5. its endearing!
I like to think when Koichi was in Italy, he kept thinking to himself "What would Josuke do?" and kept trying to think of a better plan than "Fuckery that will make things worse".

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
tiny bit random but i was looking at pictures of araki's art exhibitions and I gotta say: I dont understand the hate for old characters in the new style. they're still tough and muscular, just realistically proportioned. if you actually saw a person that looked sleek and hardbodied and was 6'5 irl you'd hardly think of them as weak-looking. in fact that's the exact body type that's more likely to actually be good in a fight, versus a vanity muscle bodybuilder physique.

9oaqtatu48s31.png

(this fanart is what got me thinking about this.)

anyways I know thats only a tiny part of what people are reacting to, but when i see stuff like this:
239.jpg

my reaction is just to appreciate the surprise of seeing something familliar interpreted differently through the changes of araki's taste in character design and silhouettes.

It would honestly be boring if he drew them the same as he used to, and i expect it would be for him even moreso.

Jojo is not just a series, it's the framework for pretty much his entire career. he doesn't keep writing jojo stories to cash in, but as a way to keep himself honest, I feel like. it's said that all authors end up always writing about the same themes again and again no matter how diverse their output. jojo as a whole feels like a way of leaning into and accepting that, and intensifying the struggle to evolve and change despite the habits and feelings intrinsic to your own soul.
I think his newer, sleeker art is more aesthetically pleasing than the roided out buff dudes he used to do
Unpopular opinion:
I love his new style and wish the earlier parts were redone in the same style. Would probably make it a more enjoyable read for me

my guy!

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
part of what made me think about this is going through the online reception to the first few seasons as they came out and seeing a lot of dread for how the series keeps getting "less manly". I guess at the time when this adaptation was first coming out it was kind of used as a reactionary "fuck anime these days, remember when it was about COOL BUFF MEN?" thing. lotta people posted that pic of zepelli and jonathan and sneered in derision at it.

I like the original art, I think it's all kind of absurdly creativeand unique even if stuff like proportions is played fast and loose with, but I also think it's always been about a genuine appreciation of the human body, which takes many kinds of forms. the exaggerated look served the heightened melodrama and larger-than-life characters of the first few parts, but as the focus shifted to more relatable characters and human stories it makes sense to be a bit more subtle and focus on finer details.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Part 5 guys in the anime got too beefy
wasnt it more that that's how they were drawn mostly later on in the part and dp just skipped to those designs to use as the general model?

narancia for example started out as very koichi-like and kid-looking, but began evolving into being very hardbodied and tough looking around as early as his first fight against little feet.

and if you look at brunos first appearance, his character design changes drastically in almost every single panel, going from a much more dishevelled and wild look to the immaculate bangs and perfectly shaped goth girl bowl cut we're used to over the course of the arc.

something i really love is how they leaned into the way giorno looks at the very end of part 5, where he hasn't actually physically changed but the way he holds himself and his hair being down gives him the impression of being much more imposing, with stuff like his outfit's collar giving the illusion of a thicker neck and such. they did draw him a tiny bit buffer to get it across, but it looks convincingly like it's just the weight of the responsibility he's now holding has changed him.

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
speaking of diego, i gotta say one of my favorite parts of him in steel ball run was how araki depicted his penultimate time stop, after he "unhorses" Johnny.

Such a conscious attempt at rendering 5 seconds of stopped time as close to realistically as possible. he makes no movements that feel unearned for that amount of time, and diego says nothing except counting down the remaining time in a way that feels like he's explicitly just talking to himself to keep his limitation in mind versus monologuing for fun.

it's such a stark contrast with the original dio scenes, and a reminder of how much more grounded and tactile this new universe is. I love it. and just generally the fact most of his time stops are shown from Johnny's perspective til then, which highlights how small johnny seems in comparison to jotaro boldy striding towards dio as an equal. Johnny has the necessary firepower, but he doesnt have the ability to be confident or certain about what will happen next.

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
im probably going to start buying the series volumes as soon as part 5 is fully released. going to enjoy reading the official translations! (i feel like part 6 will really benefit from them too, i get the feeling a lot was lost in translation)

---
I got Two Questions about Steel Ball Run and its sequel, Four Ball Run.

#1. Do you think there will be any effort to emphasize that this is a new continuity from the jump? I know Steel Ball Run originally didnt even have jojo or part 7 anywhere on its branding, but I assume the anime will probably just call it "Steel Ball Run: Jojo's Bizzare Adventure Part 7" with the jojo bit being a small subtitle versus how previously the Jojo was emphasized.

I personally think the fact that its a different continuity is meant to be a surprise you gradually realize as more and more inconsistencies and parallels arise. For me I immediately googled the year the race began vs when phantom blood ended, and it seemed to make sense that this could have happened 10 years later. plus the Speedwagon oil company is mentioned and is in the form you'd expect it to be in at that time. I'm torn though, maybe they could add a bit of a more obvious hint?

#2. Jojolion has these really cute little chapter opening and closing messages from araki, often talking about the theme of the chapter and building anticipation for the next. some extremely good content there, especially the "is he a man of the land or a man of the jacuzzi?" one.

Could these fit into ad breaks or right next to the "to be continued" arrow? or would it be too quick to really catch em?

Should the narrator say them verbally?

Last edited:

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
im probably going to start buying the series volumes as soon as part 5 is fully released. going to enjoy reading the official translations! (i feel like part 6 will really benefit from them too, i get the feeling a lot was lost in translation)

---
I got Two Questions about Steel Ball Run and its sequel, Four Ball Run.

#1. Do you think there will be any effort to emphasize that this is a new continuity from the jump? I know Steel Ball Run originally didnt even have jojo or part 7 anywhere on its branding, but I assume the anime will probably just call it "Steel Ball Run: Jojo's Bizzare Adventure Part 7" with the jojo bit being a small subtitle versus how previously the Jojo was emphasized.

I personally think the fact that its a different continuity is meant to be a surprise you gradually realize as more and more inconsistencies and parallels arise. For me I immediately googled the year the race began vs when phantom blood ended, and it seemed to make sense that this could have happened 10 years later. plus the Speedwagon oil company is mentioned and is in the form you'd expect it to be in at that time. I'm torn though, maybe they could add a bit of a more obvious hint?

#2. Jojolion has these really cute little chapter opening and closing messages from araki, often talking about the theme of the chapter and building anticipation for the next. some extremely good content there, especially the "is he a man of the land or a man of the jacuzzi?" one.

Could these fit into ad breaks or right next to the "to be continued" arrow? or would it be too quick to really catch em?

Should the narrator say them verbally?
Whenever the part 7 anime happens I expect them to do something very different with it, be it how they announce it, what its format is, how the animation is (maybe come back to CG openings, or something else). It might be like you said, of them, like in the manga, giving the Steel Ball Run title more prominence, I doubt they would go all out and not even put the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure title along it.

And those beginning and ending of chapter comments are at times too well written and interesting/funny to go unadapted, I hope they bring the narrator back for them.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Whenever the part 7 anime happens I expect them to do something very different with it, be it how they announce it, what its format is, how the animation is (maybe come back to CG openings, or something else). It might be like you said, of them, like in the manga, giving the Steel Ball Run title more prominence, I doubt they would go all out and not even put the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure title along it.

And those beginning and ending of chapter comments are at times too well written and interesting/funny to go unadapted, I hope they bring the narrator back for them.
perhaps the new style of animation/presentation that post part 6 requires if its gonna be done right will be enough to emphasize how separate it is.

also the time gap that said style shift will obviously require will probably tip off a lot of people who might finish part 6 and think the next one is coming up in a reasonable amount of time.

Now that I think of it, actually, maybe what's more important is that part 6 impresses upon the audience how absolutely final its ending is. it's the finale of the original continuity, and if it feels like it, that's less work for the intro of sbr to do.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I just found out about the original titles for parts 1-6. Does anyone know exactly when they were retroactively changed? was it just immediately after the first collected volumes were released or only at the time of steel ball run? Because the newnaming convention seems to be in the style of "Steel Ball Run" and "Jojolion" more than anything and it would make sense for that to have been retroactively applied. its kinda weird knowing parts 4-6 were mostly just called the name of the main character.

it makes more sense to me now why calling them "parts" is so emphasized

Last edited:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I just found out about the original titles for parts 1-6. Does anyone know exactly when they were retroactively changed? was it just immediately after the first collected volumes were released or only at the time of steel ball run? Because the newnaming convention seems to be in the style of "Steel Ball Run" and "Jojolion" more than anything and it would make sense for that to have been retroactively applied. its kinda weird knowing parts 4-6 were mostly just called the name of the main character.

it makes more sense to me now why calling them "parts" is so emphasized
Interesting.

The JPN wikipedia articles for 4 and 5 both have "は後年に付けられた副題で" ("[referring to the new titles] is a subtitle given in later years").

Looks like when each was rereleased in a smaller number of volumes ('02 for 1-3, '04 for 4, '05 for 5, '08 for 6).