• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

i saw giorno in there and was surprised for a millisecond when i clicked translate until i remembered what it actually means, lol. this is heartwarming!

---

random thing: I just found a pretty reasonable post saying Killer Queen Bites The Dust can be explained as a requiem retroactively because technically any damage to the user is transferred to the stand, so it's exactly the same as piercing the stand if you yourself are pierced. That's a hilarious use of Araki's logic that he clearly never considered but is totally valid and makes sense!

I love that all three parts of the Stand Arrow Trilogy involve as a main plot focus ways that Stands can become powered-up beyond normal limitations... but in literally every single part the method by which this happens changes.

-First the Arrow literally moves completely on its own to pierce the USER.

-Second you have to intentionally stab it into your STAND, and it seems willing to accept multiple different people if they can reach it first.

-And finally, Dio's foot bone becomes an invisible ghost zombie that turns corpses into plants that birth a baby which only responds to a secret password of nonsense words and then you have to do some Eldrich Bullshit at specific GPS coordinates at a specific time.

Araki just loves figuring out new ways to justify crazy power spikes too much to stick to one, and I love it.

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all remembered that one time Giorno gave so much life to a tree that it died?
yeah. that was honestly the secret lost power i wanted to see come back most, cuz its not op, its just fucked up. but im glad it kinda turned into the life detection thing.

honestly aging is what i expected to happen to a person punched with golden wind, but i guess araki was saving that for a different guy

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Giorno's Theme is going to boost this guys subscriber count lol. Fucking lol at that dude playing the Tokyo Ghoul OP.
Y'all remembered that one time Giorno gave so much life to a tree that it died?
I gave so much life to that fucking tree that it died. Holy shit it's Prosciuto's power. Would've been fucking hilarious if Giorno beat him like that.

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

Giorno's Theme is going to boost this guys subscriber count lol. Fucking lol at that dude playing the Tokyo Ghoul OP.

I gave so much life to that fucking tree that it died. Holy shit it's Prosciuto's power. Would've been fucking hilarious if Giorno beat him like that.

its so funny that so many people know it ahead of time as "giorno's theme" that they're confused when it plays for other characters.

Oct 25, 2017
its so funny that so many people know it ahead of time as "giorno's theme" that they're confused when it plays for other characters.
It's basically the main character power up theme or "say goodbye to bad guy." My favorite version is the final version that plays in the last ep for it. It's straight up Star Wars music and ominous feeling.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
It's basically the main character power up theme or "say goodbye to bad guy." My favorite version is the final version that plays in the last ep for it. It's straight up Star Wars music and ominous feeling.
finne della vento d'oro? yeah it rules.

btw, since giorno can accelerate life processes so much things decay, do you think The Greatful Dead could absorb enough death energy from something to restore it?

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
honestly it being used for multiple people makes a lot of sense considering no other jojo protagonist is so focused on inspiring the actions of others

Oct 25, 2017
honestly it being used for multiple people makes a lot of sense considering no other jojo protagonist is so focused on inspiring the actions of others
Giorno would've heard Josuke fighting Kira and helped his ass out. Giorno is basically the shadow ruler of the group and nobody realizes it till the series is done.
finne della vento d'oro? yeah it rules.

btw, since giorno can accelerate life processes so much things decay, do you think The Greatful Dead could absorb enough death energy from something to restore it?
"You're supercharged energy accelerated DA GUREITUOFUL DED'S Death Energy."

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
"You're supercharged energy accelerated DA GUREITUOFUL DED'S Death Energy."
bootleg crazy diamond but it can't alter the position of objects or their molecular bonds, just their condition. cut a flower in half and let it die, greatful dead can turn it into the most pristine looking cut in half flower you've ever seen.

great if you're a mortician (make dead bodies look like they did in life), not so great for anything else

Oct 25, 2017
bootleg crazy diamond but it can't alter the position of objects or their molecular bonds, just their condition. cut a flower in half and let it die, greatful dead can turn it into the most pristine looking cut in half flower you've ever seen.

great if you're a mortician (make dead bodies look like they did in life), not so great for anything else
Kira would fucking love dat. "Hey Prosciutto, my girlfriend is decaying..."
Pesci would probably legit have Shigechi's reaction to this.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't read Jojolion in maybe a year and a half to two years. Just wondering if we have any idea how far along it is. I'd ideally like to jump back in when it is finished or close to finishing, but I may jump in soon anyway if its still a ways from the end.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
So I haven't read Jojolion in maybe a year and a half to two years. Just wondering if we have any idea how far along it is. I'd ideally like to jump back in when it is finished or close to finishing, but I may jump in soon anyway if its still a ways from the end.
we are on the verge of reaching what feels like an overall climax. however I'm not sure i could tell you how close that means we are to the end .

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
it feels like we are getting to the climax/at the climax but tbh at this point i would just wait until its over

i jumped back in 2 months ago and now i cant stand waiting for new chapters lol

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be a hell of a ride
it feels like we are getting to the climax/at the climax but tbh at this point i would just wait until its over

I might just reread the whole thing from the beginning. It's been so long and I originally read it all week to week, so I'd like to refresh my memory, and see how it flows chapter to chapter.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

i am kinda enjoying the month to month waiting. i feel like im finally experiencing jojo in something resembling the serialized format it was originally released in.

waiting for the anime episodes wasnt really the same since those cover multiple chapters per episode and thus have a different flow and feel to them.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hope no spoilers is there in the thread. Just finished Golden Wind and have not read any manga.

Just wanted to know when is Season 6 expected to come ? 2021 ?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
question re a potential part 7 adaptation: Is it at all a thing for anime episodes to release on a bi-weekly or monthly schedule?

Considering the level of detail, more realistic aesthetic (less room for typical anime speedlines and such) intricate and varied backgrounds, and vast number of individual characters riding a large and complex animal, a decompressed release schedule seems optimal for this part.

based on some math i just did, if every 2 chapters of sbr were condensed into 1;episode, and those episodes were released on a biweekly basis, steel ball run would take 1.3664383561643 years to complete.

would that be considered totally unprecedented, or have other shows done anything like that before on japanese tv?

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Impossible. Japan's strict TV release schedule is already what dooms us to this almost fixed court format, even though some series sometimes just need 2 less episodes, or 3 more, not 12. Same for the duration of the episodes: impossible to have variable duration, even though sometimes an episode has only 18 minutes worth of content, and sometimes it has 25.
For that to happen, it would need to be exclusive to services like Amazon or Netflix. Right now, even coproductions like Beastars can only show up on Netflix outside of Japan after the whole show has been broadcast nationally in the traditional way.
Japanese TV sucks, and Japanese animation production mechanisms are archaic and terrible.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Impossible. Japan's strict TV release schedule is already what dooms us to this almost fixed court format, even though some series sometimes just need 2 less episodes, or 3 more, not 12. Same for the duration of the episodes: impossible to have variable duration, even though sometimes an episode has only 18 minutes worth of content, and sometimes it has 25.
For that to happen, it would need to be exclusive to services like Amazon or Netflix. Right now, even coproductions like Beastars can only show up on Netflix outside of Japan after the whole show has been broadcast nationally in the traditional way.
Japanese TV sucks, and Japanese animation production mechanisms are archaic and terrible.
Katanagatari had one episode per month ,60 minutes each, for 12 episodes
But that schedule would doom sbr

After attack on titan peoplecant really say no to animating horses on a tight schedule, im afraid, rip animators :/

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Katanagatari had one episode per month ,60 minutes each, for 12 episodes
But that schedule would doom sbr
And it doomed it to being broadcast at 3AM, which is normally the hour for super lewd moetrash series. This can't happen for a Jump anime.
Also, that was 2010... And the fact the model hasn't spread since is telling. No one is going to create a 20-episodes OAV exclusively available on BR.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
And it doomed it to being broadcast at 3AM, which is normally the hour for super lewd moetrash series. This can't happen for a Jump anime.
Also, that was 2010... And the fact the model hasn't spread since is telling. No one is going to create a 20-episodes OAV exclusively available on BR.
Yup
It was an interesting format for that series though

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
so basically they're just going to have to majorly staff up and work their animators into the dirt? that sounds awful. is there any precedent for releasing at a normal pace but having more breaks similar to the recap weeks for golden wind?

or officially splitting the series up into multiple seasons to allow for big breaks?

Steel Ball Run as a manga benefited from releasing in a format that let it take its time more. sounds like anime doesn't really have an equivalent channel or service.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so basically they're just going to have to majorly staff up and work their animators into the dirt? that sounds awful. is there any precedent for releasing at a normal pace but having more breaks similar to the recap weeks for golden wind?
A recap episode every 12-ish episode is fairly normal. More is a sign a trouble (and brings down viewership if too frequent).

officially splitting the series up into multiple seasons to allow for big breaks?
Like Attack on Titan? Sure, but you need to drain a big fanbase with you if you want to be assured to come back the following year to continue the season. And let's face it: nothing past part 5 comes close to the popularity of parts 3&5. It's all downhill from there (popularity-wise).
The only way out for SBR in my mind is to push the series into 3D. Big initial investment, but solves the horse issue, as well as the quantity of fine detail on the characters.
But since David Pro already struggled to pay its animators (..... if they did pay them) during part 5... The money would need to come from somewhere outside the system (like Amazon or Netflix).
Maybe Orange will show the other studios how it's done, and studios like DP will imitate them. Or maybe SBR could be done by Orange instead, though it really doesn't fit their current style.

(If you're unfamiliar with Orange's work, watch Land of the Lustrous. It's a masterpiece AND a great adaptation of a great manga. I'm not a fan of their adaptation of Beastar, I think the adaptation leaves aside a lot of elements of the manga. But visually it's good too).

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
A recap episode every 12-ish episode is fairly normal. More is a sign a trouble (and brings down viewership if too frequent).

Like Attack on Titan? Sure, but you need to drain a big fanbase with you if you want to be assured to come back the following year to continue the season. And let's face it: nothing past part 5 comes close to the popularity of parts 3&5. It's all downhill from there (popularity-wise).
The only way out for SBR in my mind is to push the series into 3D. Big initial investment, but solves the horse issue, as well as the quantity of fine detail on the characters.
But since David Pro already struggled to pay its animators (..... if they did pay them) during part 5... The money would need to come from somewhere outside the system (like Amazon or Netflix).
Maybe Orange will show the other studios how it's done, and studios like DP will imitate them. Or maybe SBR could be done by Orange instead, though it really doesn't fit their current style.

(If you're unfamiliar with Orange's work, watch Land of the Lustrous. It's a masterpiece AND a great adaptation of a great manga. I'm not a fan of their adaptation of Beastar, I think the adaptation leaves aside a lot of elements of the manga. But visually it's good too).
as far as i know they did pay at least the guy who originally brought the issue up, though he was a very important lead, wasnt he?

Is the gap in popularity really that big?

Hmm. I hope later parts get more appreciation, because even though part 5 is probably my favorite i also really like the stuff after.

I dunno. Part 6 seems like it'll be a lock for David Pro, as part 5 looks very similar and is their strongest adaptation yet. a lot of the weird powers will also make more sense in motion. Plus nowadays people are much more interested in stories about tough girls, regardless of the gender of the audience.

But i really am wondering how they're going to be able to handle part 7, in so many ways. the level of mature content is also a concern.

Oct 25, 2017
as far as i know they did pay at least the guy who originally brought the issue up, though he was a very important lead, wasnt he?

Is the gap in popularity really that big?

Hmm. I hope later parts get more appreciation, because even though part 5 is probably my favorite i also really like the stuff after.

I dunno. Part 6 seems like it'll be a lock for David Pro, as part 5 looks very similar and is their strongest adaptation yet. a lot of the weird powers will also make more sense in motion. Plus nowadays people are much more interested in stories about tough girls, regardless of the gender of the audience.

But i really am wondering how they're going to be able to handle part 7, in so many ways. the level of mature content is also a concern.
From what I remember hearing Part's 6 and 7 are way more popular in the west than they are in Japan. Jolyne's cool, but her part is a mixed bag for me. There are things I like and things I hate and the things I like are cool and the things I hate I really fucking hate.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I think this will be the way for the horses, dp knows how to use CG wisely and te technology will be better by the time SBR starts

SBR is seinen though, it'll hardly get a good budget, it's possible that 6 will have more resources than that

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I think this will be the way for the horses, dp knows how to use CG wisely and te technology will be better by the time SBR starts

SBR is seinen though, it'll hardly get a good budget, it's possible that 6 will have more resources than that
man, that's really discouraging to hear. still excited for 6.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Still gonna get more money than jojolion
Unless jojolion is the end
hmm. im looking at clips of seinen anime to try and gauge my expectations.

Apparently One Punch Man s1 was done on a fairly small budget and considered seinen. though judging by that team basically not existing any more it's probably not the most encouraging thing to go off of.

I'll probably just not think about it too much, this current jojo series has only gotten more and more impressive to me as its gone on. hope it continues to.

EDIT: I will say, if i hadn't been told that Jojo's genre had changed I wouldn't have really thought of it that way. There's definitely more focus on detailed discussion of thorny topics, but the level of violence and overall subject matter feels extremely similar. It could very well end up being at least seen as a kinda boundary-pushing Shonen story when it's being sold to broadcasters. though i have no idea how that part of the industry works, of course.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The division between shonen and seinen is a largely arbitrary one and has little meaning outside of the prepublication magazine. I don't think it really has any connection to the budget of a series (by opposition to the publisher of the magazine for example). Again, Attack on Titan is targeted at a much older audience then your average Shônen Jump series, and your average Shônen Jump series's anime adaptation is generally kinda trash...?
Then, Berserk still is a highly regarded seinen series, and while the old anime had a really good budget and talent attached to it, the more recent one is one of the worst adaptations in recent memory. Orange's last two series adapted fairly minor mangas that had a small cult following but no major presence, yet the adaptation used really good CGI.
I really don't think we can predict how the adaptations of parts 6, 7 and 8 will go. Which means we can have a good surprise, who knows!

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
The division between shonen and seinen is a largely arbitrary one and has little meaning outside of the prepublication magazine. I don't think it really has any connection to the budget of a series (by opposition to the publisher of the magazine for example). Again, Attack on Titan is targeted at a much older audience then your average Shônen Jump series, and your average Shônen Jump series's anime adaptation is generally kinda trash...?
Then, Berserk still is a highly regarded seinen series, and while the old anime had a really good budget and talent attached to it, the more recent one is one of the worst adaptations in recent memory. Orange's last two series adapted fairly minor mangas that had a small cult following but no major presence, yet the adaptation used really good CGI.
I really don't think we can predict how the adaptations of parts 6, 7 and 8 will go. Which means we can have a good surprise, who knows!
yeah AoT comes to mind when thinking of stuff that clearly has a huge budget. but come to think of it, I have to admit a lot of the more expensive looking stuff does seem to skew younger.

It cant be a coincidence that Mob Psycho has had such a solid run vs the older oriented anime from the same author, which it seems like barely managed to get a continuation after its first season. (Though I think OPM S2 started shaping up really nicely in the second half)

I definitely am familiar with the infamous Berserk situation. It does seem like sometimes it's just up to the standard the studio is trying to match, and for whatever internal issues they've had, David Pro definitely seems to at least be aiming for a constantly increasing level of quality and a faithful representation of the source material.

Very curious to see how Stone Ocean shakes out, since there are kinda a lot of directions they could go with it in terms of coloring/ambience and sound/music. And since they've gotten bolder recently with adding new scenes and filling in backstory more, things like Jotaro's relationship with his (unbelievably) unnamed wife could be majorly improved and fleshed out compared to the manga. Maybe we could even see Grandma Holly!

And with all the vast, world-affecting Stands near the end of the part, it would be a great opportunity to check in with various past characters rather than having these things be experienced by complete randos. The sequence showing people reacting to accelerated time comes to mind as something that would be given a lot more weight and feel more tonally appropriate if there were people we knew there.

Not solely focusing on past characters, of course, but as the finale to a universe it makes sense to take one last look around said verse.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Shounen manga usually get best treatment because it's the magazine that sells the most, but "best treatment" is usually about which contract will provide more money to the publisher lol

I consider SO already a bit Seinen-ish, because the public it attract is totally not boys under 15 years old, but these labels are pretty bad anyway, specially outside Japan...

I think SBR gonna stay with DP unless the studio closes down, so how the adaptation will go depends mostly on who is directing it...

OPM seasons 1 and 2 had basically the same budget but one looks way better than the other, it's the same case, we've been blessed that the folks at DP are very passionate about jojo and some are pretty smart at where to cut corners, even 4 which had shaky animation quality had a kickass art direction to make up for it, after all...

I don't think the face details will matter much because jojo animes are basically frames with a little animation outside of action scenes, also you can cut a lot of the horses with close ups so the most complicated parts will be the battles where folks are riding horses ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the face details will matter much because jojo animes are basically frames with a little animation outside of action scenes, also you can cut a lot of the horses with close ups so the most complicated parts will be the battles where folks are riding horses ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Actually, that's true... We're all worried on how difficult horses will be to animate, but how many actual action sequence happen while riding? I remember Oye Como Va... But most of the others require the characters to fight while on the ground, and the horses just bugger off until the end of the fight... (which is probably for the best, since any injury to the horse would mean the race is over). Maybe the first Diego fight...?

It's a pity we didn't get any horse stand user... Imagine:
- This guy is very powerful, I can't understand his power...
- We killed him, and yet his stand is still active! How can it be!
- OH NO ACTUALLY HIS HORSE WAS THE MASTERMIND ALL ALONG!!!

SBR is too subdued for its own good. Zombie Horse? Pfff, give me Pet Shop's equine brother!

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

I really like these, even though i cant help but think the thing of STOPPING the OP doesn't make much sense in the context of Valentine's abilities. you'd expect more of like "traveling to an alternate universe OP that is the same song but slightly different and all the characters are a little off".

but still, that's asking a lot for something that's just using existing art and music. i don't actually expect it, its just notable how Valentine's powers dont really fit with his moment there.