• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
As a person that likes Berserk, HxH, Black Lagoon, Jojo and Attack on Titan. Would I like it?
Can't say for sure. It's more slice of life and introspective. But if you like character writing, depth, and interactions, you''ll definitely enjoy it.

And another mention of Black Lagoon reminds me I need to check that out. I've also heard the anime has a good dub.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I just now realized this
dio-standing2.gif
latest

Their attire is similar.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say for sure. It's more slice of life and introspective. But if you like character writing, depth, and interactions, you''ll definitely enjoy it.

And another mention of Black Lagoon reminds me I need to check that out. I've also heard the anime has a good dub.
Dub is nothing but cursing but it's great. Last slice of life thing I liked was Spice and Wolf, I really don't watch a lot of them.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
if every jojo is supposed to be in many ways the opposite of each other, how do yall think that applies to Jolyne?

I feel like the main thing is that she starts out feeling directionless, while giorno from scene 1 knows what his ultimate goal in the world is, even if he doesn't know what path it'll take to get there. however in the moments when she is confident and taking charge of the situation, she has a lot in common with giorno. I feel like this mirrors the way it worked for jonathan and joseph, who on the surface were opposites but at their core share the same resolve and noble heart.

it makes sense to me that each jojo is paired kind of in groups of 2 in that regard, with jon and joseph being kindred at their core, the same for jotaro and josuke, and the same for giorno and Jolyne.

Cause i think what makes jolyne interesting is that she absolutely isnt "female jotaro", by any stretch

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
kyo was cool tho. and she wouldn't be a proper okyasu if she weren't extremely underutilized, lol.

i think Jolyne not being actually that much like jotaro is interesting specifically because it would be far too obvious for his daughter to be like that. them being different makes their dynamic more interesting.

jotaro rules, gimmie a break...

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
jolyne is more interesting than Jotaro because she doesn't have an op stand lol
eh, for most of jotaro's part his stand has fairly simple abilities that are comparable to stone free. that isn't to say he doesn't become OP at the end (the fact that people are afraid of him is a plot point in every future part he significantly appears in) but that it doesn't really have much to do with why people dislike him.

as an introverted dork with resting bitch face and a love for spaghetti western protagonists (tho i dont like westerns that much) i cannot help but relate to the boy.

Josuke is the one i find kinda unrelatable.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
you gotta get on that neo western stuff. shit's hype
i read a good one a while back called stardust crusaders.

EDIT:
something i've been thinking about for a bit, is how incredibly easy and justified it would be for part 8 josuke to get to the end of his story of self-discovery and doubting his own reality, and decide on choosing a new name. And that name could be... Jotaro.

It would fit with his personality, and technically Josefumi is the one who actually looks like josuke and whose ability is similar.

I am 99% sure this will not happen, but the fact that so many elements of Jotaro's backstory are present in the story without an actual direct parallel character makes it seem like he's either yet to show up, will be in the next part, or has been there all along.

Some say Kira is the Jotaro of the part, but i feel like Kira is missing the core of extreme weird sensitivity that Jotaro had, and he also has traits like vanity and good people skills that feel like the opposite of jotaro.

Anyways this probably means nothing. But if i'm right, at least i blurted it out onto an internet page first.

Personally what I want to happen is for Jotaro to be in the next part and for him to be Josuke's nephew... AGAIN.

Last edited:

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
I just finished Stone Ocean.

After reading an explanation, I am thoroughly, thoroughly mindfucked. Just fucking wow. Stone Ocean was starting to drag during the escape sequence, but that ending man, that ending absolutely saved it.

Not sure whether to give this a 9.5 or 10, but Jolyne is definitely one of my favourite characters.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

After reading an explanation, I am thoroughly, thoroughly mindfucked. Just fucking wow. Stone Ocean was starting to drag during the escape sequence, but that ending man, that ending absolutely saved it.

Not sure whether to give this a 9.5 or 10, but Jolyne is definitely one of my favourite characters.
going through it again myself, i really love it. such a good villain to end the saga on.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
accidentally read the first sentence of the preview on twitter, but whatevs, it's stuff i basically expected anyhow.

---
random thing: Steel Ball Run talks about how Stands are just energy and since infinite spin harnesses energy, it means the entire technique was essentially about developing a Stand.

By that logic: do you think Kars would have been considered a Stand User? His abilities definitely seem similar to a Stand's, and seem explicitly derived from Hamon's association with Life Energy. And since Hamon is the analogue to Spin, I feel like Araki was trying to retroactively imply something about the connection between that era of jojo and the Stand era.

OP
OP
Matsukaze

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017

Welcome to the club. We all know those Stone Ocean feels lol

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I was wondering, what do people think of meti not the bad guy? Are his analysis correct or just his own interpretation/subjective overall?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering, what do people think of meti not the bad guy? Are his analysis correct or just his own interpretation/subjective overall?
i never watched any of his videos when they came up in search because the titles were kinda off-putting to me. it just has the vibe of content that's kinda shallow, though im sure it's enjoyable. however it definitely seems like the subject of their videos is their own personal opinion versus trying to be coldly "objective" or assert the source of araki's inspiration.

(full disclosure, part of my aversion is possibly rooted in me thinking that "Bad Guy" song sounds like a public access commercial for a discount Halloween costume shop)

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
He likes to mix non canon stories and treat them as canon and that's pretty bad imo... like, tricking people into believing PHF stuff is canon without warning that's phf material

He also does some shady stuff like downplaying Joshu's toxic behavior and som other stuff that deals with sensible themes in the series

This is not an april fool's ^

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
accidentally read the first sentence of the preview on twitter, but whatevs, it's stuff i basically expected anyhow.

---
random thing: Steel Ball Run talks about how Stands are just energy and since infinite spin harnesses energy, it means the entire technique was essentially about developing a Stand.

By that logic: do you think Kars would have been considered a Stand User? His abilities definitely seem similar to a Stand's, and seem explicitly derived from Hamon's association with Life Energy. And since Hamon is the analogue to Spin, I feel like Araki was trying to retroactively imply something about the connection between that era of jojo and the Stand era.
nah, if that was the case then Caesar's bubbles would be a stand too. In the end Hamon was a technique anyone could learn and apply with the proper training.

Stands are a different power that only a select few people with strong spirits were born with or could acquire with the arrow.

Remember, Joseph still has the ability to use Hamon in conjunction with his Stand in part 3, which I feel wouldn't be the case if Hamon could be considered its own sort of stand ability. Part 3 also says that Stands are basically just spirit energy as well.

I do feel like Parts 7 and 8 have somewhat redefined what a Stand is but I don't think that changes anything about Parts 1 - 6.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
nah, if that was the case then Caesar's bubbles would be a stand too. In the end Hamon was a technique anyone could learn and apply with the proper training.

Stands are a different power that only a select few people with strong spirits were born with or could acquire with the arrow.

Remember, Joseph still has the ability to use Hamon in conjunction with his Stand in part 3, which I feel wouldn't be the case if Hamon could be considered its own sort of stand ability. Part 3 also says that Stands are basically just spirit energy as well.

I do feel like Parts 7 and 8 have somewhat redefined what a Stand is but I don't think that changes anything about Parts 1 - 6.
no, I didn't say hamon is a stand. I said maybe hamon could become a stand if perfected, and that perhaps that was what Kars did that gave him such amazing control over life. that seems more like a hamon style power than a vampire one, doesnt it? and its directly confirmed he has extremely powerful hamon abilities.

just like how the Rotation itself is not a Stand, but can generate one if it you can achieve perfect spin.

Again, I'm not saying ceasar is a stand user or anything like that, but that retroactively it's easy to imagine kars having a stand floating alongside him during the final fight that none of the characters who interacted with him could see, and he didnt bother mentioning.

its never going to be confirmed and it doesn't really matter, but i think this is the kind of thing araki was thinking about when he wrote that bonus chapter. and wether its true or not, it doesn't actually contradict anything. it fits.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
no, I didn't say hamon is a stand. I said maybe hamon could become a stand if perfected, and that perhaps that was what Kars did that gave him such amazing control over life. that seems more like a hamon style power than a vampire one, doesnt it? and its directly confirmed he has extremely powerful hamon abilities.

just like how the Rotation itself is not a Stand, but can generate one if it you can achieve perfect spin.

Again, I'm not saying ceasar is a stand user or anything like that, but that retroactively it's easy to imagine kars having a stand floating alongside him during the final fight that none of the characters who interacted with him could see, and he didnt bother mentioning.

its never going to be confirmed and it doesn't really matter, but i think this is the kind of thing araki was thinking about when he wrote that bonus chapter. and wether its true or not, it doesn't actually contradict anything. it fits.
Oh I see what you're saying now

i suppose it's possible, like how Gyro got Ball Breaker, yeah. It does seem more like a Stand ability than anything else we saw in the first two parts.

GlassEmpires

Dec 10, 2018

from the jojo wiki, source of all accurate information:
Stands are defined as personifications of "life energy" whose abilities are given visual form. When first presented, the term is written as "Stand" (幽波紋スタンド Sutando), with furigana to change the pronunciation of what literally means "Ghostly Ripple" (幽波紋 Yūhamon) in kanji.

hamon has always been connected to stands. this connection was also present in all star battle in that part 3 stands could do non-grey damage in combos to vampires like hamon users.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
10/10 chapter for me. I loved it and it's going to make the wait for the next one really hard.

I never thought about someone taking whatever Rokakaka fruit genetic sequence allows for exchanges and isolating it. That's kinda genius.

Seeing Holly with the writing all over her body gave me some Jail House Lock vibes. Hearing her talk about Akefu's Stand also reminded me of D4C's Love Train except instead of physical attacks triggering the Stand it's more intent?

10/10 chapter for me. I loved it and it's going to make the wait for the next one really hard.

I never thought about someone taking whatever Rokakaka fruit genetic sequence allows for exchanges and isolating it. That's kinda genius.

Seeing Holly with the writing all over her body gave me some Jail House Lock vibes. Hearing her talk about Akefu's Stand also reminded me of D4C's Love Train except instead of physical attacks triggering the Stand it's more intent?

I'm gonna guess that Akefu's ability is based around a desire to prevent people being curious about him. A privacy shield. It would be an echo of Kira's obsession with privacy, appropriate here.

But "being made to chase him" as his the Stand's weakness sounds like the ability can't account for a third party forcing someone closer to Akefu.

Makes me think a workaround might be having Paisley Park plot a route to intercept Akefu for you. You wouldn't know if your choices at each junction were taking you closer or not.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna guess that Akefu's ability is based around a desire to prevent people being curious about him. A privacy shield. It would be an echo of Kira's obsession with privacy, appropriate here.

But "being made to chase him" as his the Stand's weakness sounds like the ability can't account for a third party forcing someone closer to Akefu.

Makes me think a workaround might be having Paisley Park plot a route to intercept Akefu for you. You wouldn't know if your choices at each junction were taking you closer or not.
That would be a pretty clever workaround. If Akefu's Stand activates on the conscious and willing intent of someone exposing or harming him, then having Yasuho lead people around unwittingly would work. Although I think that would still put Yasuho at risk since she would have to know about Akefu to lead people to him.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
from the jojo wiki, source of all accurate information:

hamon has always been connected to stands. this connection was also present in all star battle in that part 3 stands could do non-grey damage in combos to vampires like hamon users.
i will point out that stands dont do inherent damage to black sabbath, who is dissapated by sunlight, and hamon is the energy of the sun. so while i acknowledge there's a connection, i still think they're meant to not be exactly the same. the way i think of it is that stands are the purest representation of energy, and hamon is a type of energy that can eventually reach a version of that pure form.

I know that stands were even called Spirit Hamon for a hot second, but i like to imagine that's because of some Hamon masters in the past who manifested a stand due to their proficiency. (not necessarily the same one as kars theoretically had, because obviously that's an enormous amount of energy and very specific conditions).

anyways what you're saying is totally valid, i just think about it a tiny bit differently. and again, none of this will ever be confirmed so your view is as correct as mine.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i hope official translations of the manga accelerate considering the show seems to be growing exponentially in popularity.

EDIT: I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT IT WAS JOJOLION DAY!!!!
Akefu's stand continues to pull out new layers of busted, araki ruined every translator's day with finally deciding to romanize it as Locacaca, and I like both Josuke8 and Holly8 100x more their earlier counterparts. What a chapter. It was disturbing seeing Akefu doing something other than walking away and to the right. And no hat! He's definitely a real person, and i'm 99.9% sure it's definitely his stand. The tying together of all the villains thus far and how they related to each other was great. It makes total sense that the drug dealers were just doing clinical trials.

Last edited: