• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
i love how the fact that they were split up actually made sense, because they were all trying to meet up as soon as possible but circumstances got in the way. melone died before linking up with Ghiaccio, Risotto was busy decoding the picture in some distant location and sent a copy to Ghiaccio online before heading there himself.

it doesn't feel like they intentionally fought the gang one at a time, and combined with the fact that they always almost win it makes them feel like genuinely competent enemies who're at a disadvantage because they don't have all the information the gang does.
Yeah, if melone and ghiacchio had teamed up our boys would've been toast

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if melone and ghiacchio had teamed up our boys would've been toast
giorno would finish killing babyface and come back to see mista, abacchio, fugo, and narancia fighting ghiacchio. all of those stands are easily countered by cold and ice: aerosmith couldn't fly properly in such cold air, fugo's viruses would die out, abbaccio would just be punch-ghosting, and mista wouldn't have known that giorno could heal him so he would never have used the tactics he did in the real fight.

The gang does a great job of staying mobile and forcing their enemies to come to them on their own terms.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
giorno would finish killing babyface and come back to see mista, abacchio, fugo, and narancia fighting ghiacchio. all of those stands are easily countered by cold and ice: aerosmith couldn't fly properly in such cold air, fugo's viruses would die out, abbaccio would just be punch-ghosting, and mista wouldn't have known that giorno could heal him so he would never have used the tactics he did in the real fight.

The gang does a great job of staying mobile and forcing their enemies to come to them on their own terms.
I meant if they got the gang going to venezia, when they got split up, imagine babyface in white album figtt

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I meant if they got the gang going to venezia, when they got split up, imagine babyface in white album figtt
oh, good point! i guess in that case babyface would have gone after the other half of the group then, because it was using bruno's blood to track them. but melone would have been free to go with Ghiaccio as his junior tracked automatically

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
ok so i know stand ideas are a dime a dozen, but i was thinking of one based on one of my favorite band's songs:

~Repeaterbeater~

The punch rush is a classic jojo thing, moving so fast it looks like your arms/fists have tripled in number and all the blows are landing simultaneously. but what if that was Actually What Was Happening? The basic concept for this stand is using the concept of "Repeating" to achieve exactly that.

Power: E
Speed: E
Range: C
Persistence: B
Precision: A
Growth Potential: D

This is a close range stand that could fit a JoJo or Jobro role of having immense versatility but potential to be severely handicapped in matchups against stands that are more driven by strict rules or extremely pure concepts vs creativity and improvisation.

Any physical action that the user performs can be copied and stored. A physical action is defined as a movement performed within one second or less. Once stored the action can be "repeated", which manifests as the relevant part of the stand performing said action twice simultaneously within its range, in any direction or angle, even mirrored. The stand does not perform the action with any more force or speed than the user did. Any stored action can be repeated as many times as wished, and can be repeated consecutively without any cooldown.

The first copy (which counts as "two") can be copied as well. the resulting four can then be copied, and the stored 8 can be copied, and so on.

Performing one action of copying takes about one second, and actions cannot be repeated while copying. For example, 10 seconds of continuous copying would result in 1,024 instances of the action being stored, as they are doubled each second. However if the stand is attacked while manifesting these actions, increased action density will exponentially increase the amount of damage transferred to the user.

As the stand only manifests while "repeating", the amount of damage it takes per repeated action in play is comparable to an automatic stand such as Sheer Heart Attack or Black Sabbath. if multiplied significantly that resilience will obviously be useless, eventually doing more damage to the user than attacking them directly would have due the vast amount of repeated transferring damage.

The stored actions can only be held for one minute, or until the user copies a different action. Finally, actions that occurred as recently as 1 hour ago are the only ones that can be copied.

This ability requires its user to focus on intricate planning and unwavering bravery, as it relies on preparation and can easily be a double edged sword, yet its most straightforward use is clear: a barrage of thousands of punches, each wave landing simultaneously upon its target.

---

And of course, here's the song.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone. I read through a good chunk of part 4 on my SJ app and I think it's finally time for me to catch up on everything I've missed. Previously, I started getting the original Viz release which of course started with Part 3 (I was unaware of this at the time). Around then I also picked up the OVAs, but never got around to watching much because it felt wrong to watch without knowledge of the original arcs. Around then I also read some scanlations of part 1, but always hated reading manga on the computer so I never finished that. In spite of how Jojo's was so poorly handled in it's original US release I've still managed to give it a chance again and I'm glad that I did. The new anime is fantastic so far!

I started watching Phantom Blood while working out recently and I've had to totally switch to another show because I just got too involved in it. I'm presently wrapping up Battle Tendency with my SDC blurays coming in the mail today which I snagged for $30 each from Rightstuf. Let the Jojo's floodgates open! Just glancing at art for the later series has me so pumped for what's to come.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Hi everyone. I read through a good chunk of part 4 on my SJ app and I think it's finally time for me to catch up on everything I've missed. Previously, I started getting the original Viz release which of course started with Part 3 (I was unaware of this at the time). Around then I also picked up the OVAs, but never got around to watching much because it felt wrong to watch without knowledge of the original arcs. Around then I also read some scanlations of part 1, but always hated reading manga on the computer so I never finished that. In spite of how Jojo's was so poorly handled in it's original US release I've still managed to give it a chance again and I'm glad that I did. The new anime is fantastic so far!

I started watching Phantom Blood while working out recently and I've had to totally switch to another show because I just got too involved in it. I'm presently wrapping up Battle Tendency with my SDC blurays coming in the mail today which I snagged for $30 each from Rightstuf. Let the Jojo's floodgates open! Just glancing at art for the later series has me so pumped for what's to come.
sounds like a roundabout path (pun intended) but im glad it all worked out in the end! i hope they finish the english blu rays for diu and get on golden wind soon, im itching to buy em all

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
sounds like a roundabout path (pun intended) but im glad it all worked out in the end! i hope they finish the english blu rays for diu and get on golden wind soon, im itching to buy em all

Part two of Diamond is Unbreakable is out next month. I really hate that they've stopped doing the art cards for the latest releases. Look! I'm a brand new fan and I already have something to bitch about! Lol...

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
The last few episodes of Battle Tendency were so goddamn ridiculous! I don't even know what to say, but I certainly enjoyed it. I also managed to squeeze in two episodes of Stardust Crusaders and the art style has really been taken to the next level. I know they can't keep up this animation quality, but hopefully the look of the show will remain consistent.

Oct 25, 2017
The last few episodes of Battle Tendency were so goddamn ridiculous! I don't even know what to say, but I certainly enjoyed it. I also managed to squeeze in two episodes of Stardust Crusaders and the art style has really been taken to the next level. I know they can't keep up this animation quality, but hopefully the look of the show will remain consistent.
Parts 3 and 5 are the most consistent looking. Part 4 on the other hand...

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Parts 3 and 5 are the most consistent looking. Part 4 on the other hand...
ah it's fine, especially the blu ray versions. and it has enough style to back up any genuine lack in detail/quality.

however it is funny when i was going through the early part 5 thread seeing the person who thought part 5 was being done by the "b team" vs the "a team" on part 4. 5 is hands down the best looking part so far. worries about it not having as much style as 4 cuz the sky wasn't yellow were unfounded too, imo.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
something i've been thinking about a bit: i feel like the main difference between part 1-6 and part 7-8 is that it feels like everything in Steel Ball Run and Jojolion is paced more like storyboarding for a movie, where the action happens in real time and dialogue, inner or external, is punchier when there's action and slower when there's downtime.

previously it felt very much like classic comics/manga, where characters think long sentences in the space of a millisecond, and mid-fight dialogue makes no attempt to be realistically paced or conform the the amount of time that's established as passing. The dialogue is almost more of a metaphor at certain points, where you can imagine this is the impression these two characters got as they looked into each others' eyes in an instant. Conversely the dialogue in downtime carries much the same energy as in battle. It's all meant to run together and be kind of paced the same way even though the tone is different.

On a more basic level, the way i'd describe the difference is that 1-6 jojo feels like you're meant to linger on each panel and take in that frozen moment and accompanying verbal flavor, wheras 7-8 is trying more to make you flow from panel to panel and subconsciously stitch them together into a real-time rendition of the events that are occurring.

So clearly, 7-8 is designed in a way that has much more explicit direction and guidelines for an animated adaptation.

I definitely will miss some of the quirks of the parts we're currently going through, as well as seeing some of the ways the animators filled in the blanks for things where the comic left the specific timing of a scene ambiguous or didn't bother explicitly showing how one panel directly connected to another. (something that flows well in the comic but would feel jarring when animated)

It's going to feel different in ways people don't expect, I think. But it's going to be rad. The new style makes things we're used to seeing feel so different and fresh, yet it still feels like it's building on what came before and is absolutely rewarding for more than just explicit references if you read the entire series up until SBR.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
previously it felt very much like classic comics/manga, where characters think long sentences in the space of a millisecond, and mid-fight dialogue makes no attempt to be realistically paced or conform the the amount of time that's established as passing. The dialogue is almost more of a metaphor at certain points, where you can imagine this is the impression these two characters got as they looked into each others' eyes in an instant.

This is always the impression I've gotten from the battle dialogue; I'm glad you made this observation too. To springboard off this, I'm just a little disappointed that the anime chose to adapt most of that dialogue so literally, because I think it harms the moment-to-moment pacing of the anime, causing the anime to suffer in a way I think the manga thoroughly avoided (the nature of the medium necessarily changing how the viewer perceives time in it).

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
This is always the impression I've gotten from the battle dialogue; I'm glad you made this observation too. To springboard off this, I'm just a little disappointed that the anime chose to adapt most of that dialogue so literally, because I think it harms the moment-to-moment pacing of the anime, causing the anime to suffer in a way I think the manga thoroughly avoided (the nature of the medium necessarily changing how the viewer perceives time in it).
there are definitely times when i consider how they could have changed this too, but i've decided in the end that it just makes it feel more like a live theatrical performance, and that's a valid adaptation style for a manga that's so wordy and dramatic.

it just requires getting used to; accepting that you can't actually know how long it takes for a second to pass unless a character or other visual cue is specifically telling you, and not to take certain things too literally.

the dialogue edits they do make in the anime have gotten smarter and smarter as the show has gone on. 4 and 5 have some particularly good choices on that front.

for me it's just become part of the charm, and the anachronism of jojo as a modern anime. ive often described it as being like the 60s batman show, in how it wears its campiness on its sleeve and embraces performances and pacing that is the stuff of unreality.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
78600268_10156893863993481_3723167231752798208_o.jpg

Fucking Africa Salaryman.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Stardust Crusaders pt.1 last night. OH MY GOD!!!!! I can't believe how amazing this show has become. Stand out episodes for me have been The Devil, Yellow Temperance, Wheel of Fortune, and Justice. I can't remember the last time I had been watching a show where I could hardly contain myself. Polnareff and his many bathroom adventures! Polnareff unknowingly mocking the old lady about her son in the Justice episode had me close to losing it! I've read some dumb reviews online before where people were wanting to "skip this monster of the week stuff." Really? Can't wait to watch the second part.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Stardust Crusaders pt.1 last night. OH MY GOD!!!!! I can't believe how amazing this show has become. Stand out episodes for me have been The Devil, Yellow Temperance, Wheel of Fortune, and Justice. I can't remember the last time I had been watching a show where I could hardly contain myself. Polnareff and his many bathroom adventures! Polnareff unknowingly mocking the old lady about her son in the Justice episode had me close to losing it! I've read some dumb reviews online before where people were wanting to "skip this monster of the week stuff." Really? Can't wait to watch the second part.
honestly my main issue was that there wasn't enough downtime; i didn't necessarily want less monster of the week, i wanted more of the stuff where they're getting culture shocked and discovering new things about these places.

I feel like that gets fixed in the second half, though!

it's mostly down to them choosing to adapt a bit too much of everything, the manga flows a lot better. but SC s1 is still a good time, i agree!

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
does anyone know if the roman characters for "go go go" and similar onomatopoeias in jojolion were there in the original manga or were added by translators?

because honestly it works extremely better than the whole "menacing"/"rumble" type deal.

I know it would probably be hard to edit that into a completed anime ep, but it would be cool if they just started doing it from the get go in parts where it happens.

It really helps me visualize what the sound effect is actually trying to get across. "gogogogogo" is something kind of like a motorcycle engine idling in the distance, which makes a lot of sense for the situations its used in and often matches the actual audio the anime uses in those moments.

Last edited:

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

AoM

Oct 31, 2017

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i definitely see a two ed deal going down, like part 5, stone ocean has a pretty clear shift in the second half of the story that'd be condusive to both a new op and ed.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
anyone else think PH Feedback would be best suited to being a 1:30 hr movie?

there's a lot you could edit down and the story is fairly small in scope, only a few proper stand-up fights and they all go pretty quickly.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I am assuming that the 3rd and Final Cour will be Dio's Sons and the Enrico Pucci Final Battle Arc

I am pretty sure SO will be 39 Episodes as it's only 3 chapters longer then GW

i would say 40. some of the beginning could use a few bits of original content to fill in some stuff (such as a certain mom's freaking name) and the day to day prison life could be expanded on a bit as well.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a set cour limit. Like 1 cour is 13 Episodes. 2 Cours in 24 Episodes. 3 Cours is 39 Episodes.
oh, i wasnt aware of that system. seems pretty restrictive. can "special episode" recaps get around that?

one thing i also think needs an overhaul but doesn't actually need to end up stretched out longer is the scene/s showing the effect of made in heaven across the world, specifically the ones of people reacting.

it works fine in the comic, but it's just not paced anywhere remotely resembling something cinematic. they could use that opportunity to add in shots of people we actually know from previous parts being affected, too.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
oh, i wasnt aware of that system. seems pretty restrictive. can "special episode" recaps get around that?

one thing i also think needs an overhaul but doesn't actually need to end up stretched out longer is the scene/s showing the effect of made in heaven across the world, specifically the ones of people reacting.

it works fine in the comic, but it's just not paced anywhere remotely resembling something cinematic. they could use that opportunity to add in shots of people we actually know from previous parts being affected, too.
I have seen some pepole not like the first half of SO mostly because it kinda tries be a combination of GW with its more action focused fights and DIU - having the one large setting rather then travelling and not really being as good as either in that regard

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Spurred on by:

Not confirmed the above is real, but I guess that would be a lot to fake. :p

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Spurred on by:

Not confirmed the above is real, but I guess that would be a lot to fake. :p

He did a panel in Brazil and several tweets in my timeline are saying the same, the only new info was him mentioning not wanting Cg for SBR

One cheeky tweet was more optimistic about stone ocean than the rest thoug

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, didn't know about Brazil.
Only found out this week when Ashiya started randomly posting tweets about it tbh

He went to a con in Belém, thats waaaaaay too far from where im from so no wonder i heard nothing of it, that kind of artist barely goes to anywhere away from rio/sao paulo after all, i'm glad he went there though haha

He drew Gyro as a Flamengo supporter and some other characters lol

Now im jelly af he didnt come to são paulo lol but he seems like a great dude

Edit: judging by the number of tweets about SO in brazil i think i'll blame it on that gyro, that thing really blew up lmao

31,7k tweets here, this is insane

Last edited: