• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Alrighty then lol.

t524VwZ.png

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I wonder what Josuke sent the Doctor. In any case, it seems like he will send it directly to the office he is waiting in, or at least somehow gets the doctor to xome back to the hospital.At this po8nt Jobin feels like a fake out instead of the final Antagonist, dude is probably trying to isolate his family to not have whatever is going on spred out beyond the estate. Yasuho would be an outsider in this case, and while I doubt he will kill her it does show how ruthless he is and what he would do to keep it in the family.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what Josuke sent the Doctor. In any case, it seems like he will send it directly to the office he is waiting in, or at least somehow gets the doctor to xome back to the hospital.At this po8nt Jobin feels like a fake out instead of the final Antagonist, dude is probably trying to isolate his family to not have whatever is going on spred out beyond the estate. Yasuho would be an outsider in this case, and while I doubt he will kill her it does show how ruthless he is and what he would do to keep it in the family.
the item in the box has to be something thatll make the doctor chase him

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
He didn't do as well this time around:

dexter brachium > dextrum brac(c)hium

duo auris
> duae (or ambae) aures (duas/ambas aures/auris are also possible)

duo pespedis > duo (or ambo) crura (or pedes for "feet")

Edit: Chapter 41 had 12 double-page spreads in a row. Insane.

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Her* Stand, I suppose. :o
it's extremely cool that she was introduced by easily defeating both of our main characters at once mostly through her excellent close range combat skills, with her stand's actual ability almost being an afterthought. Steel Ball Run has such kinetic and choreographed fight scenes, and that's one of my favorites.

I feel like Jojolion's direct analogue is the
Aphex Brothers
fight, which is also just a super no-frills technical brawl.

(spoilering antagonist name since it appears you're not caught up.)

also: wow, I don't remember that volume cover at all... lol.

At least Lucy is actually genuinely among the best female characters in the series.
So much about the plot wouldn't have happened if not for her bravery, cunning, and investigative skills. Her killshot on Diego was one of the most badass main villain takedowns in jojo.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking back, most parts (except part 3) have basically 1 female character of importance. Most of them are cool, but it took Araki until part 6 to discover the idea of having more than 1 important woman...
Erina is nice, super cliché, but manages to get some good scenes, like when she washes her mouth with a puddle.
Lisalisa is cool, though wasted.
Part 3 has.... Hum.... Enya ??? Holly has less presence than SusiQ, and Midler and Mariah are villains of the week.
Yukako is cray-cray. I like Hayato's mom, but she's not really the show-stopper.
Trish is cool, but unfortunately pushed aside by the other super great characters.
Jolyne, Hermès and F.F. are the real and only original trio, accept no substitute.
Lucy and Hot Pants are both great in different ways.
I love Yasuho, she's the only character I truly like in part 8. The other women are all shades of crazy, and the male characters are unlikable clowns. Yasuho is the only relatable character, I feel.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I love Yasuho, she's the only character I truly like in part 8. The other women are all shades of crazy, and the male characters are unlikable clowns. Yasuho is the only relatable character, I feel.
uh...
Mitsuba is amazing, stop this right now u_u, Haato isn't crazy, just heartbroken, had these women be men most people wouldn't call them crazy except for Daiya .-.

Most of the girls in jojolion get nowhere as crazy as doggystyle boy lol

You forgot yosuke's mom from part 4 and Reimi, the first could have showed up more and Reimi was pretty good despite the fridge background she had

Lucy is great but she's been done so dirty i don't like remembering about her, on female representation part 7 took a nose dive from 6 where even the female villains...existed >_>

But yeah the rest is pretty much it, though part 2 erina was pretty cool what they did to lisa lisa was awful and thats why i hate the 80's :/ i feel just as bad reading hokuto no ken

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I do think most men in part 8 are crazy and unlikable as well! I liked Rohan when he was "the crazy one" in part 4, but I feel like most characters in part 8 are "Rohan, but worse".

Oh, you're right, Reimi is absolutely among the best characters of part 4! I love each scene she's in.

Technically, there is a villainous female character in part 7.... technically...

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I dont like talking fem rep on part 7... the one that didn't get abused died and the other had a sore excuse for not having a stand lol

The people in part 8 are as crazy as part 4 but more dangerous

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I wished trish got her stand sooner, cause she did some MVP moves in that chase for the arrow fight.

People complain about how fugo was underused but that girl was a treasure

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still surprised Haato and Mitsuba even got their fights @-@
Mitsuba still doing stuff and we're on the endgame

Just need some Caato now, no? Ok :(

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
part 7 implied there would be female contestants in the race, but I can't recall there being any other than hot pants, who was trying to pass herself off as a man anyways. honestly i think it's not a mistake or anything, just that even though the race pays lip service to it it's still not really a thing people would casually accept.

Ive had my issues with some of part 8's treatment of women, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I only like yasuho.

josuke and rai are good boys. rai is just insanely pragmatic and self-centered. daiya is chill once you get to know her, Hato is a charming ditz with a big heart (no pun intended) and some killer determination, mitsuba is a proud but good woman, Kaato Literally Did Nothing Wrong, and Norisuke is much less sinister than he initially seems, and a good dad and grandfather. tsurugi needs to keep his hands to himself but he is a nice boy, jobin is quirky and relatable.

Karera is running her grifts and bein adorable, Dolomite is sympathetic and pitiable, Ojiro is a bad person but entertaining to watch bumble. Tooru is Up To Something but seems like a genuine person. Sorry almost forgot Kyo, but she's a pure and good person, as is Holly from what we can piece together about what she's normally like when he brain isn't missing parts. I guess norisuke's dissapearing wife seems chill from the little weve seen of her.

I think that covers just about everyone who isnt on the side of "totally black hearted evil".

damn, there's a lot of characters in play in this part.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Was not expecting this Pulp Fiction reference lol. Went a more serious route, unsurprisingly.

www.youtube.com

Pulp Fiction - the gold watch monologue

Christopher Walken expertly steers this scene from grave to comedic.
you're getting close to the end, then. interested to see what you think.

EDIT: been diving into jojo amvs and found perhaps my favorite one, focused on the story of Dio's life.

not any really good diavolo ones yet, too many of them focus on displaying stuff chronologically, ignore the bits where he's a shadowman, and use the same three king crimson songs for the music.

Last edited:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I had heard almost universal praise for Part 7--its position not only within the series, but manga in general--and while I was skeptical at first and the part took a little to win me over, the hype (and hyperbole) did not disappoint (for the most part).

Johnny and Gyro are really the highlight, and I can see why many were saying that the two are their favorite duo in the series. The amount of depth Araki's able to give both of them is incredible. And not only them, but so many others as well.

The one scene that got me teary-eyed wasn't the last Johnny/Gyro scene, but this one:
rzeOyMY.png

rj3kPMg.png

I expected the Gyro scene, and it was an amazing sendoff. Amazing, yet expected. But the above scene. Whew. I can see how others could have seen it coming, but I didn't. It took me so off guard and was beyond brilliant.

While I have my issues with Lucy (oversexualizing a 14-year-old, using her for male gaze and lesbian fantasies, and I could keep going), I loved that she was the one responsible for Dio's demise.

As for Valentine, I thought the amount of time spent on him and (especially) his Stand went on a little too long, but it makes sense given his position in the narrative. D4C (and the golden rectangles) were peak "That's bullshit, but I believe it."

And finally, the art. While amazing, it wasn't the art itself that I found most impressive. That would have to go to the paneling and composition. I probably would've said it before reading this part, but it's definitive for me now: Araki is unrivaled in his use of double-page spreads. Utilizing every inch of the page to present something that's meticulous in detail and in scope.

And oh yeah. Goddammit, Araki.
dgGuIzZ.png

Tier favorite list (because a normal ranking is too tough):

4 | 7
________
2 | 5 | 6
________
1 | 3

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
what was your reaction to the High Voltage arc, AoM ? I was not expecting it at all, and love it for how flagrantly it breaks the rules you've probably accepted about this part's placement in the series. I cant believe i never saw it coming, when this was clearly the narrative reason Valentine had the stand he did in the first place.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
what was your reaction to the High Voltage arc, AoM ? I was not expecting it at all, and love it for how flagrantly it breaks the rules you've probably accepted about this part's placement in the series. I cant believe i never saw it coming, when this was clearly the narrative reason Valentine had the stand he did in the first place.
Enjoyed it (especially since it has the scene I mentioned above :P). Glad we got to see Dio with his usual Stand, and him (seemingly) getting a happy ending.

And that's a good point about Valentine. Though now we can't get any more alternate dimension shenanigans (unless someone in Part 8 has a similar Stand).

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyed it (especially since it has the scene I mentioned above :P). Glad we got to see Dio with his usual Stand, and him (seemingly) getting a happy ending.

And that's a good point about Valentine. Though now we can't get any more alternate dimension shenanigans (unless someone in Part 8 has a similar Stand).
Yes, definitely no one will have that type of ability again, I bet. I think it was in a lot of ways meant to highlight that even Valentine's stand isn't capable of reaching back to the old world that is still going on with Irene and co.

The gulf that separates them is just that vast. So even with infinite alternate realities, this is the closest we'll ever see to old things coming back: they'll not actually be the exact original thing plucked from where it was. and this also feels like a metaphor for the promise valentine made of a new Gyro, which in turn wraps around to being a metaphor for the original point addressed directly to the reader: you're in a new world now, and it's ok to love what came before while also accepting something new.

Im gonna be honest tho... I also loved Dio the Dinosaur a lot, partially because its so fun to say that phrase and partially cause its just a dang cool ability.

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Im gonna be honest tho... I also loved Dio the Dinosaur a lot, partially because its so fun to say that phrase and partially cause its just a dang cool ability.
...i liked diosaur better than valentine

Not that blond trump is bad it's just

That take on Dio was so damn good and one of the things im glad for reading part 7 for xD

AoM if you like part 4 that much i feel like the next one will be a treat :D

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like Dionosaur too! Unfortunately, World Dio at the end has barely enough screen time to develop a personality, and I don't like the design of his stand as much as DIO's.
Both are still better than the imposter Dio from part 6.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I like Dionosaur too! Unfortunately, World Dio at the end has barely enough screen time to develop a personality, and I don't like the design of his stand as much as DIO's.
Both are still better than the imposter Dio from part 6.
another dio is just the same dio but strong enough to survive. hes basically a refutation of the idea that the original diego was really on a good path: this is what he would have done had he not been killed.

also oh boy do i disagree bout that part 6 comment but aint gonna get into it lol

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
DIO_Diary_02.png

In the text box directly below pucci's hand and the green baby on the left page, am I correct in roughly translating it (Tomo wa watashiwo shinrai shi watashi wa tomo ni naru) as "I will trust my friend and I will become one [with them]"?

The translation of part 6 translates it as "my 'friend' will trust me and I will become his friend".

Based on looking at the individual words and phrases and looking up what they mean, I think that this was a misinterpretation of what was meant to be wordplay on how a way of saying "friend" (tomo) is also used to say "become together", or something of a similar nature.

It seems as though the translators thought the second usage of "tomo" was supposed to mean the same thing as the first, which is why they put "friend" in both cases. It's odd that they only put the quotation marks around one "friend", as both "tomo" kanji have quotation marks. This specifically feels like the pun/wordplay being called attention to in the original text box and how despite two different things being said, each relates to each other in a significant way.

As far as me changing it from "my friend will trust" to "I will trust", i'm basing that off of the context in the story (where the green baby which is standing in for Dio is the one required to do the trusting) as well as the way the sentence is constructed. from my understanding, in extremely literal terms "tomo wa watashiwo shinrai" is saying "friend that is mine, trust" rather than "my friend, trust", which has a different connotation, at least to me.

As far as I can see there is no mention of "with him" or anything similar in this text box. I get the impression dio said he would "become one" but didn't say with what and the wordplay here is meant to imply that his "friend" is the thing he is "coming together" or "becoming one" with. So essentially the sentence at first appears grammatically incorrect or at least appears to be a very strange way of phrasing this sentiment if you don't notice the "tomo/tomo" connection and contrast.

Am I totally off base here? I know this is some busted ass jerry-rigged 'translation' i did, but i was curious despite not really having the linguistic tools to handle this, because the commonly accepted translation seemed so weird. all I really know are a lot of the characters, what sounds they make, and some of the verbs and nouns they form.

If i'm a total idiot please be gentle :P

Edited: because i somehow missed the "wo" character entirely, probably because my dumb brain was like "oh yeah i know watashi, whatever"

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely "My friend will trust me". There is no other way to understand を here. I guess you can say that the baby doesn't have any memory, so as a blank state, Dio needs a way to connect with his friend without any memory of him (while Pucci obviously trusts the baby since he knows who it is). Remember this whole page is Dio talking, not Pucci.

As for the second part, it's "I will become my friend". It's a short sentence that could be ambiguous, but that's the easiest meaning you can make out of it, and in context, there's no other meaning possible. I don't really think there's a play of word here: it all seems very literal.