• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely "My friend will trust me". There is no other way to understand を here. I guess you can say that the baby doesn't have any memory, so as a blank state, Dio needs a way to connect with his friend without any memory of him (while Pucci obviously trusts the baby since he knows who it is). Remember this whole page is Dio talking, not Pucci.

As for the second part, it's "I will become my friend". It's a short sentence that could be ambiguous, but that's the easiest meaning you can make out of it, and in context, there's no other meaning possible. I don't really think there's a play of word here: it all seems very literal.
interesting. i wonder why the quotations, then.

and yeah, i didn't actually even notice the wo character when i was intially going through this, it would probably have colored my view a bit differently. like i said, bootleg 'translation' ovah here.

Thank you for clearing it up, at least i kind of got the final part right.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh! Don't mind the quotation marks in Jojo.
Araki just loves that (and bold fonts). It's his style. They highlight things, they don't mean anything and especially not "quotations". It's part of the "bizarre grammar" of Jojo.
06b7e0a4c70bda551c58b4ec06319c76.jpg

Here, they don't add anything, and the sentence wouldn't lose any meaning if you remove them.
Does it look even better with it? Absolutely. Such gravitas, much gusto.
Araki uses the "Rule of Cool" with grammar.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Oh! Don't mind the quotation marks in Jojo.
Araki just loves that (and bold fonts). It's his style. They highlight things, they don't mean anything and especially not "quotations". It's part of the "bizarre grammar" of Jojo.
06b7e0a4c70bda551c58b4ec06319c76.jpg

Here, they don't add anything, and the sentence wouldn't lose any meaning if you remove them.
Does it look even better with it? Absolutely. Such gravitas, much gusto.
Araki uses the "Rule of Cool" with grammar.
haha, this is true, but i feel like they often emphasize key words in a way that feels like its giving some insight into how the characters themselves are saying them and the importance they are placing in them.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the time those emphasized words are adapted into the english translations as "bolded text", and they definitely give off an intense vibe.

I suppose the idea that these in particular are important came mostly from the fan translation adapting them inconsistently, but it seems like there's not much rhyme or reason behind that either.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's true. Some are really important keywords, like kakugo throughout part 5, which unfortunately you need to translate differently in some context...
The other issue is when Araki himself goes overboard and uses two types of quotation mark, bold, and a different font, all in the same page. When everything is highlighted, then nothing is highlighted and the text becomes really difficult to read (along with his silly use of "drawing the face of the person being quoted in text bubbles" he overuses since past 7)

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
That's true. Some are really important keywords, like kakugo throughout part 5, which unfortunately you need to translate differently in some context...
The other issue is when Araki himself goes overboard and uses two types of quotation mark, bold, and a different font, all in the same page. When everything is highlighted, then nothing is highlighted and the text becomes really difficult to read (along with his silly use of "drawing the face of the person being quoted in text bubbles" he overuses since past 7)
the best usage of the "image in text box" technique was Valentine's gold ingot "I Promise" emojis.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
the most criminal of "cut for time" things in all of vento aureo is "watch er' tits wobble, I got a stand beneath my belt"

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
thinking: just considering how the beginning of stone ocean is paced, this will be the first part where we don't see the main character's stand until multiple episodes in, ie probably a few episodes into the OP. Do you think they'll make any effort to keep Stone Free's close range form hidden until it is revealed?

If not, it'll be the part since part 1 where we have multiple episodes seeing powers in the OP that the main character doesn't have yet. I genuinely thought the glowing aura for Jonathan was just a metaphor and he'd just be the jojo who never actually had powers. (I knew about stands but i thought the fact that they came later meant first it was just about ingenuity in combat, which it more or less was)

Honestly it would be fine for stone free if they just had shadows for it and any details relating to stuff like Jotaro, but it's kind of unprecedented for there to be multiple versions of the first OP in the first half of the series, right?

Perhaps they'll focus on the major characters and prison life in the first half instead of directly referencing the early events of the arc. certain things will definitely need to be carefully hidden though: showing FF's stand form would spoil her introductory arc outright. (or i guess serve as a red herring making you think green haired girl is the user initially?)

Idk. there are a lot of interesting things they could do with OPs in general, and i'm definitely very curious how they'll handle it specifically considering how golden wind went so heavy on the chain motif representing being "imprisoned" by fate.

It was kind of a shock going from these easygoing criminals who have so much country-spanning agency and freedom to a bunch of rowdy girls stuck in oppressive conditions. It's definitely the exact opposite of golden wind's premise even though it seems similar on the surface.

perhaps bars and chains aren't actually the best metaphors for literal imprisonment, especially of the kind depicted by SO. Maybe they should make it more about the constant observation and dehumanization.

Last edited:

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Even just looking back at the Fighting Gold OP, we were introduced to the gang's stands before the characters were even shown. I think it's clear Jolyne will get a stand, so no harm in showing it. But if they want to go the OP alteration over time route that wouldn't be unprecedented either. Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town started with Koichi just posing like a goober all alone until his stand showed up and from then on it joined him. What I think they do have to be careful about is the connection between Whitesnake and Pucci. I remember it not being confirmed who Whitesnake's user was for a bit which I think was pretty cool.

As for imprisonment motifs, you're right that chains have been done, but there's a fairly obvious alternative. The part is called Stone Ocean because it represents the endless yards of concrete making up the prison, and the prisoners stranded within it. It's a big part of why Jolyne gives her stand the name Stone Free. I'm sure the oppressiveness of the concrete can be put into the OP somehow.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Even just looking back at the Fighting Gold OP, we were introduced to the gang's stands before the characters were even shown. I think it's clear Jolyne will get a stand, so no harm in showing it. But if they want to go the OP alteration over time route that wouldn't be unprecedented either. Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town started with Koichi just posing like a goober all alone until his stand showed up and from then on it joined him. What I think they do have to be careful about is the connection between Whitesnake and Pucci. I remember it not being confirmed who Whitesnake's user was for a bit which I think was pretty cool.

As for imprisonment motifs, you're right that chains have been done, but there's a fairly obvious alternative. The part is called Stone Ocean because it represents the endless yards of concrete making up the prison, and the prisoners stranded within it. It's a big part of why Jolyne gives her stand the name Stone Free. I'm sure the oppressiveness of the concrete can be put into the OP somehow.
i agree that fighting gold set the precedent, but all of the characters shown are pretty much instantly introduced as having stands in a very straight-up way, and specifically giorno and bruno have their stands revealed before the OP shows up in episode two.

again, this would be the first time we'd see a main jojo's full stand form in the op before seeing it in the actual show, which seems more egregious than showing supporting characters' stands.

I loved koichi's pose btw, it never seemed all that goofy to me next to everyone else doing the same kinda thing just with more olympian bodies.

I think you're right that the walls and concrete are the correct choices to go for. stone ocean feels very claustrophobic until the end of the punishment ward arc, and thats probably one of the things that most sets it apart as an arc. it also contrasts well with how wide-reaching and apocalyptic the stands become once they escape and are on the run, which gives an excellent theming direction for the second OP.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
So, I've noticed that parts 1&2 (again) and the first half of 3 (so I guess to the episode Iggy is introduced) are being released on Blu-ray in the UK. Is there any info on these releases?

I have the first release of 1&2 already, but this is the first physical release of 3 here.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Oh
That event.is for disabled.
My bad ^^;
I legit assumed it had to do with something else entirely.
ah i see no problem!

it comes from the "para" in "paraplegic" which means (roughly) someone who can't walk or doesn't have full control of their legs. (eg. Johnny Joestar)

---
At first i thought green haired guy was a runner falling over behind dio, but then i realized he's finishing a long jump

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
That's gotta be some sort of alt universe Dio where he's good, but he's a paralympian.
Looking at this immediately made me imagine a jojo part focused on paralympic sports in the near future, starring mainly characters who are physically disabled and use prosthetics similar to the ones we have now but more sophisticated.

I feel like araki would love using the physics of prosthetic movement to create unique types of fight choreography, and just generally would revel in the style of artificiality blending with and enhancing human movement, and vice versa.

It's kind of touching that this piece really communicates that he considers paralympians to be subjects just as interesting as the typically completely physically-abled classical sculptures/iconic models/athletes he bases a lot of his characters' physicality on.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at this immediately made me imagine a jojo part focused on paralympic sports in the near future, starring mainly characters who are physically disabled and use prosthetics similar to the ones we have now but more sophisticated.

I feel like araki would love using the physics of prosthetic movement to create unique types of fight choreography, and just generally would revel in the style of artificiality blending with and enhancing human movement, and vice versa.

It's kind of touching that this piece really communicates that he considers paralympians to be subjects just as interesting as the typically completely physically-abled classical sculptures/iconic models/athletes he bases a lot of his characters' physicality on.
"I don't have to worry about normal human anatomy...I could put them in weirder poses!!!"

Deleted member 6026

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The raw for this month's chapter of JoJolion is out, and HOLY SHIT.

Yasuho is seemingly dead (for now?) and is the one we saw in the body bag, not Norisuke. Also, the rest of the Higashikatas now know that Jobin has the new Rokakaka (which has produced four fruits).

Last edited:

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

Yasuho is dead (for now?) and is apparently the one we saw in the body bag, not Norisuke. Also, the rest of the Higashikatas now know that Jobin has the new Rokakaka (which has produced four fruits).
What's your source for this?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
cautiously peeking my spoiler avoiding head in here to ask when we can expect the english translation if the full raw is out early.

(or perhaps this is just referring to the usual preview?)

Deleted member 6026

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cautiously peeking my spoiler avoiding head in here to ask when we can expect the english translation if the full raw is out early.

(or perhaps this is just referring to the usual preview?)

Another hour or two, apparently. The chapter's translated and cleaned, and they're working on typesetting now.

But yes, the full chapter is already out there.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

Yasuho is seemingly dead (for now?) and is the one we saw in the body bag, not Norisuke. Also, the rest of the Higashikatas now know that Jobin has the new Rokakaka (which has produced four fruits).
FUCK

Deleted member 6026

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, Yasuho's death isn't outright confirmed, but she loses the same arm that Norisuke's missing in the flashforward in chapter 83, and considering the condition she's in at the end of this chapter...

Edit: It's out!

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat
Did Yashuo just fucking die? In a damn toilet?

That was a stone cold move from Mitsuba, holy shit. Gappy's gonna be out for blood when he comes back from dealing with the head doctor.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
the fact that yasuho noted the placement of the rokakaka and that her face was shown when the drop of water she was responsible for planting pierced mitsuba's hand implies to me that she used paisley park to influence what happened this chapter. Mitsuba's words are important: she's talking about what's coming to crash into their family, and the arrow ends up pointing towards the rokakaka rather than Yasuho. The fallout of the rokakaka seems to indeed be what's coming. Perhaps that was a return of Paisley Park pointing people in the "right direction"?

I don't think Yasuho is going to die. But I do think that arm is gone for good.

Each of these last two chapters I've been thinking "oh this arc is probably winding down and will be picked up later". I don't think that's going to happen. The pace here is not going to let up.

Mitsuba's explanation of the Head Doctor's powers may be the correct one, I might be overthinking it. But I can't shake the feeling that something strange is going on here that we still don't fully understand. And is the doctor actually at the estate right now? or is it an effect of the stand? Is it really HIS stand? And related to that last one... Where Is Tooru? The drop of water falling immediately as Mitsuba tried to finish Yasuho makes me suspicious... but I don't know if that's too much of a stretch.

It's just that there seems to be a sharp division between the way Josuke, Yasuho and Rai experienced "Dangerous Pursuit" (that's the stand's name until further notice, this is getting ridiculous) and the way the Higashikata household is currently experiencing it. And this distinction doesn't feel like simple inconsistency in portrayal. It feels like it means something. Even in this specific chapter yasuho loses an arm because of considering pursuing the doctor, while Mitsuba is attacked while trying to finish off Yasuho. The two triggers seem different.

---

So as far as what I can predict for the future: if Yasuho survives she'll need to go to the hospital. The hospital is where Josuke is, and he will likely learn of her condition. The Higashikata household and more specifically the wall eyes on their grounds seems like an important location that is going to have nonstop conflict from this point on, but Josuke's mission at the hospital is important also, so we need that to be resolved before he can head over there.

I don't think the fruit is going to move outside the grounds at any point in the future. Whatever happens with it will happen there.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No new chapter next month.

Can't believe we've gotta wait two months to find out whether Yashuo is dead or not. Although considering Rai survived a much brutal death earlier, I don't think she's dead.

I think we're a couple of chapters away from reaching the end of the countdown. Don't think it will happen in the next one. Stuff escalated pretty damn quickly though considering the entire Higashikata family knows about the Rokkaka now.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
at least all of the dirty laundry is getting exposed now, bringing the pressure on joubin.

and there's still more stuff that has to be covered in this arc.

having to wait that long whew....