• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Glad it got shipped early. Iconic cover.

0ESk5xS.png

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Just caught up to JoJoLion 93
Yeah we are nearing the finale huh?
The major plot of the series is pretty clear now, but geez, Jobin straight up oprhaned a kid. Also WTF is Mitsuba wearing lol

So Chief Doctor's stand just brings misfortune upon any who harbor an ill will towards him or does he control who gets bad shit happening to them?

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Just caught up to JoJoLion 93
Yeah we are nearing the finale huh?

The major plot of the series is pretty clear now, but geez, Jobin straight up oprhaned a kid. Also WTF is Mitsuba wearing lol

So Chief Doctor's stand just brings misfortune upon any who harbor an ill will towards him or does he control who gets bad shit happening to them?
mitsuba's dress owns. btw i would still keep stuff related to ch 93 in spoiler tags even tho 94 just came out.
the head doctor's stand, or "Dangerous Pursuit" as I am calling it, seems to have two different ways of working: one where once his back is seen, anyone who tries to pursue him will "knock into" things in a physically destructive way. there is also the way it has affected mitsuba and tsurugi, which is generally creating misfortune in ways that seem much more coincidental yet still obviously unnatural, and without requiring them to think of pursuing the head doctor, only to see his back.

I am re-reading this arc from the first moment we see the doctor. something i noticed is that the receptionist says "[he wasnt] scheduled to go anywhere today..."
when he first notices him.

When Rai and the gang split up to corner him, he somehow gets past rai despite not having any way to do so except pass right by him.

We see that he is an actual real physical person with a face and voice and personality when he presents the locacaca formula at the lecture, but we also see him seemingly teleport into the higashikata estate many times, and more recently only be visible there to certain people.

We know a whole lot about this stand, but we are missing one crucial piece, I feel like, which we'll be able to use to make all of this make sense.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
2 months is too long a wait God damn it.
Yashuo is dead, no way she survives. I still don't get the way Awakening III Leaves, or at least I think it's now making more sense. I guess the misfortune of the Doctor's stand that now has passed on to Mitsuba has been accelerated to showing the doctor where the new fruit is? In any case I think we are definitely close to the end game, Part 8 is gonna by done by the year's end, I guarantee it.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Yashuo is dead, no way she survives. I still don't get the way Awakening III Leaves, or at least I think it's now making more sense. I guess the misfortune of the Doctor's stand that now has passed on to Mitsuba has been accelerated to showing the doctor where the new fruit is? In any case I think we are definitely close to the end game, Part 8 is gonna by done by the year's end, I guarantee it.
at least 12 more chapters to go imo. meaning beginning of 2021 ending at the earliest.

it just feels like we're still teetering on the precipice, not fully falling in just yet. this is definitely the final nonstop sprint, though.

TBH my actual expectation is like 15 chapters after this.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Mitsuba's stand is just redirection; if something comes towards her she has 3 'forces' that she can utilize to redirect stuff
E.g. if a rock is thrown towards her, she can direct one force/arrow to cause her to fall back and another stronger force to impact or redirect the rock back at the one that threw it

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Mitsuba's stand is just redirection; if something comes towards her she has 3 'forces' that she can utilize to redirect stuff
E.g. if a rock is thrown towards her, she can direct one force/arrow to cause her to fall back and another stronger force to impact or redirect the rock back at the one that threw it
So like I said, she got the misfortune that was pointed at her from seeing the Doctors face and the fact that it spread threw the phone from Yashuo and redirected the misfortune towards the New Fruit. Better yet it seems like she indirectly helped Yashuo's search go faster while at it, or something like that.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
still praying that mitsuba simply did a fakeout and settled the arrow in a way yasuho could survive, it's not like her to straight out kill people, just hurt them D:

If she really dies i can see norisuke trading his life for hers, thus explaining the body D:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
still praying that mitsuba simply did a fakeout and settled the arrow in a way yasuho could survive, it's not like her to straight out kill people, just hurt them D:

If she really dies i can see norisuke trading his life for hers, thus explaining the body D:
i think its definitely like her to disregard what's right in favor of protecting tsurugi. she definitely didnt make her arrows do that on purpose, it was some force that made her do it. obviously "Dangerous Pursuit" had a role in it, but i wonder if paisley park might have pointed her to the true source of the misfortune she was talking about.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
i think its definitely like her to disregard what's right in favor of protecting tsurugi. she definitely didnt make her arrows do that on purpose, it was some force that made her do it. obviously "Dangerous Pursuit" had a role in it, but i wonder if paisley park might have pointed her to the true source of the misfortune she was talking about.
was that the case, the arrow would be on the toilet switch and not on the cellphone, she didn't need to get her hands dirty, just leaving the cellpione there would do the trick, no flushing needed. Mitsuba would do everything for their children, yeah, but she clearly stared yasuho is a friend and has nothing to do with all that. To assume she would blindly follow Jobim's orders(whose behavior she's already finding odd) means disregarding everything she's done so far.

Mitsuba is smart. And not a murder

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly i still think the head doctor is not the main villain, it's Jobin
he's surely becoming a main villain yeah, what makes it confusing is that he's simply after the same thing gappy is and gappy did a fair share of killing to get it too D:
I'm not worrying about who is worse here anymore, this is going to be a bloody family feud
Jobin just wants to end a curse at all costs and gappy got in his way o- x

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
was that the case, the arrow would be on the toilet switch and not on the cellphone, she didn't need to get her hands dirty, just leaving the cellpione there would do the trick, no flushing needed. Mitsuba would do everything for their children, yeah, but she clearly stared yasuho is a friend and has nothing to do with all that. To assume she would blindly follow Jobim's orders(whose behavior she's already finding odd) means disregarding everything she's done so far.

Mitsuba is smart. And not a murder
flushing the toilet wouldnt have as much force as directly applying the arrows, which generate enough directional power to alter the direction of an elevator. this is her way of definitively getting rid of yasuho, not giving her a chance. the point of this chapter is that she herself made a conscious decision to go back on everything from before. people do that all the time. i don't think that makes her stupid, if she wants jobin to win then she should definitely kill yasuho.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
I'd hate it if Yasuho technically died in a toilet but Joshu survived getting flushed down a sink drain.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I'd hate it if Yasuho technically died in a toilet but Joshu survived getting flushed down a sink drain.
honestly that's what makes this so tense. it seems like a ridiculous situation at first but it gets more and more horrifying as you slowly realize this could be it. (though i suspect if it were actually the end she would have broken her neck in the fall rather than lost an arm)

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
honestly that's what makes this so tense. it seems like a ridiculous situation at first but it gets more and more horrifying as you slowly realize this could be it. (though i suspect if it were actually the end she would have broken her neck in the fall rather than lost an arm)
I wonder if araki is
competing to see who kills more people on toilets now

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So was the explosion caused because Mitsuba was using THAT much force? She was totally out to kill Yasuho.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
So was the explosion caused because Mitsuba was using THAT much force? She was totally out to kill Yasuho.
to answer this question i would need to spend a few more weeks going over the wikipedia article on vector space again.
my impression is that the wall blew open because of the "Dangerous Pursuit" effect "knocking" into it using the arrow as the catalyst. the arrow itself wasnt generating extra force, it was launched in that direction because the other arrows fell into place to generate "away-force". this is why it just slices into the wall at first, which is all that should happen if only awaking three leaves' powers were at work there.

again i think i actually might need a for real legit degree in physics to answer this question properly.

GlassEmpires

Dec 10, 2018
Mitsuba was trying to save Yasuho, that's my guess. And the Head Doctor is going to factor into the ending much like the cursed alleyway in part 4. It's got to be more than coincidence that terrible shit happens to people who he looks over his shoulder at.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The panel where she closes the toilet is fantastic.
Either it means she doesn't want to witness Yasuho dying, so she's adverting her eyes, or she is closing it so that Jobin doesn't see her trying to save Yasuho.
It's definitive, it shows her resolve, but it's impossible to know which one it is.
And the fact she's attacked right after means we might never know what she was thinking in that moment.

(Though I'm pretty sure it means Yasuho will survive, since now Jobin can't see her escape, so she can have a SURPRISE! I'M NOT DEAD moment).

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Apparently a bunch of pepole fell for a fake logo on twitter for Stone Ocean. I highly doubt we will see or hear any news on Stone Ocean till Summer at the very earliest (likely even Fall)

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a panel where the head doctor faces Yashuo and I'm wondering what that's about. Maximum bad luck or something?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
what if seeing his face is good luck?(please let yasuho live, she's the only cool koichi)

It's a strange sequence. She sees him, he turns to face her then she falls off the wall and her arm breaks off. When she looks back up at the wall his back is to her. Like reverse Cheap Trick or something lmao

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
There's a panel where the head doctor faces Yashuo and I'm wondering what that's about. Maximum bad luck or something?
this also happened when they first encountered the doctor and she was running after his bus. he suddenly turned to look at her, and then she was almost hit by a car. it seems to be an indication that some fucking serious "bad luck" is coming your way, which lines up with what happened here.

Random aside:

Ive been thinking about how in stone ocean Star Platinum is stated to be the most invincible stand ability ever.

Naturally a lot of people scoff at that and immediately bring up GE Requiem. I have to admit I always assumed that Star Platinum couldnt do anything against Requiem, but there's something I realized: Frozen Time is technically not really part of our reality.

The best way to think about it is a space between time. it's not that jotaro or Dio's actions are moving at infinite speed (which giorno could revert to zero) but that the result of their actions is perpetrated on the world from a realm outside of reality. In essence, there IS no action to revert: when kakyoin had a hole in his chest and immense force propelling him backward, there was NO moment in existence where that actually came to be. it simply "Was."

King Crimson seems similar at first to The World, but it kind of explicitly exists within reality. Diavolo sees the time he is deleting as it plays out, but deleting it is an action that takes place inside of reality. Erased time isnt really a place, it is more of a paradoxical video timeline for diavolo as he edits continuity.

So what I'm thinking is it is very possible that The World and Star Platinum could not be affected by return to zero while time is stopped. Their power truly does mirror that of Gods in ancient stories, and I think this is the kind of thing Araki has in mind when he calls them the apex of stand power, after several parts of building up insane abilities in the original universe.

GER deals in reality, but their actions might be considered something beyond.

Obviously this doesn't mean he thinks they can never lose a fight, but that's the point of jojo. having the best possible advantages or ability to resist incredible power does not guaruntee your victory.

It's interesting to imagine how araki would have complicated the details of giorno's powers if he had continued writing about him. because when you have a character that strong you just have to wonder what future conflicts would look like for them, because narratively you'd need to write in something that would be difficult.

Jotaro was a good example of this. Focusing not merely on overwhelming his power, but forcing him to choose if winning was more important to him than protecting others.

Perhaps what Giorno would struggle with is the infinite consequences of using his power on another person. Diavolo courted that fate himself, no one should feel sorry for him, but what if giorno is in conflict with someone who has redeeming qualities yet still must be stopped? in a lot of ways his power is a curse: he cant actually simply kill a person unless he reverts to his normal stand and gives up his perfect defensive ability, which could lead to him losing his chance to end the conflict.

Last edited:

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm two episodes away from finishing Stardust Crusaders and was looking forward to being able to play the Eyes of Heaven PS4 game, however I realize now it features characters from other arcs I haven't seen/read yet. I'm anxious to play the game, but does anyone know if I'd be like, majorly spoiling anything if I did so?

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm two episodes away from finishing Stardust Crusaders and was looking forward to being able to play the Eyes of Heaven PS4 game, however I realize now it features characters from other arcs I haven't seen/read yet. I'm anxious to play the game, but does anyone know if I'd be like, majorly spoiling anything if I did so?
You'll be spoiled on basically every major death series.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Most character deaths you dont wanna know ahead of time

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I'm finally done watching Golden Wind, I want to get into the manga with Stone Ocean.

Here's my question: if I wanna read it in Japanese, which edition should I buy? Which one is the best? If I understand correctly, there's the Tankoubon edition (vol. 64-80) and the Bunkobon edition (vol. 40-50).

Also, what's the cheapest way to import it from Japan to Europe? I can always buy it on Amazon JP like I did for Berserk, but the shipping fees are steep...

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Now that I'm finally done watching Golden Wind, I want to get into the manga with Stone Ocean.

Here's my question: if I wanna read it in Japanese, which edition should I buy? Which one is the best? If I understand correctly, there's the Tankoubon edition (vol. 64-80) and the Bunkobon edition (vol. 40-50).

Also, what's the cheapest way to import it from Japan to Europe? I can always buy it on Amazon JP like I did for Berserk, but the shipping fees are steep...
Yeah, those shipping fees are tough. May be worth looking into the digital volumes as well.

But these box sets look so good.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

Bunkos are usually cheaper and have more pages, if you're in for the story go for it, tankos are better for collecting until jojoniums are out

I should note that despite having more pages than the tanko, the bunkos are smaller in size so it might be difficult to read them, check the book size in amazon before buying, cause they're usually about 1/2cm smaller

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Bunkos are usually cheaper and have more pages, if you're in for the story go for it, tankos are better for collecting until jojoniums are out

I should note that despite having more pages than the tanko, the bunkos are smaller in size so it might be difficult to read them, check the book size in amazon before buying, cause they're usually about 1/2cm smaller
Can confirm.

M1DuQph.png

Though the bunko has some color pages (I assume JoJo's would be the same), which is nice.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
They do (digital only). Or do you mean physical? I imagine that would cost so much more to print.
Physical but yeah they'd cost a ton, jojo is so detailed i feel like araki should have made it in comic format and not manga, imagine those pages printed in a wide-ban or a4 colored format...

Tho having it digitally is huge ngl oo

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Physical but yeah they'd cost a ton, jojo is so detailed i feel like araki should have made it in comic format and not manga, imagine those pages printed in a wide-ban or a4 colored format...

Tho having it digitally is huge ngl oo
And speaking of physical releases, cover for the next Part 4 volume:

P1hgxnv.jpg

RIP Shigechi