• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should note that despite having more pages than the tanko, the bunkos are smaller in size so it might be difficult to read them, check the book size in amazon before buying, cause they're usually about 1/2cm smaller

Thank you for the heads-up. Does Araki often use very small fonts and/or ultra-rare kanji and unusual readings that require furigana?

Small fonts can be a problem in Berserk, so I hope Araki doesn't go overboard with them like Miura does. Seriously, Berserk sometimes makes me go "what is this? Manga for ants.gif"

I've heard about the Jojonium collection, but I know nothing about it outside of the fact that the covers are all drawn in Araki's current style. What's the deal with it? When is Jojonium Stone Ocean coming out?

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the heads-up. Does Araki often use very small fonts and/or ultra-rare kanji and unusual readings that require furigana?
Small fonts: not in the tankobon. Haven't seen the bunko, but I don't expect anything weird there (depending on your eyesight?)
No unusual readings as far as I remember.

However, do keep in mind that the "bizarre" aspect of Jojo is in its grammar. Character often use normal words in unnatural ways on purpose (for maximum swag) and it can be a bit disconcerting if you're learning the language (or worse, if you think that's the way normal Japanese people talk and start emulating it when you talk yourself).

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Small fonts: not in the tankobon. Haven't seen the bunko, but I don't expect anything weird there (depending on your eyesight?)

There shouldn't be any differences in font types or sizes in the bunkobon, right? It should be all the same, except printed on smaller paper.

However, do keep in mind that the "bizarre" aspect of Jojo is in its grammar. Character often use normal words in unnatural ways on purpose (for maximum swag) and it can be a bit disconcerting if you're learning the language (or worse, if you think that's the way normal Japanese people talk and start emulating it when you talk yourself).

Thank you for the warning. I should be fine on that front :). If anything, I think the bizarre logic, weird analogies and unexpected topics make it a good manga to read if you want to be exposed to all kinds of vocab and phrases. Like, part 1 will teach you stuff about specific parts of the anatomy - I learned the word 横隔膜, i.e. "diaphragm" by listening to Zeppeli's lines in the anime. Part 3 will teach you things about Egypt and other countries. And part 5 will teach you stuff about... mold, of all things.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

I remember my japanese teacher telling a story about a kid she has to correct because he read jojo and started saying some stuff wrong, it's legit
There shouldn't be any differences in font types or sizes in the bunkobon, right? It should be all the same, except printed on smaller paper.
i'd bet they resize everything since araki is not a fan of small baloons, it's a lot of work to redo and you can't fit some texts without resizing

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember my japanese teacher telling a story about a kid she has to correct because he read jojo and started saying some stuff wrong, it's legit

I can definitely see that, although I'd argue that's an issue with manga and anime in general, especially of the shounen, fantasy and science fiction varieties. I wouldn't put something like Jojo in the hands of a beginner, or even an intermediate learner - whatever that means. You should already have a decent intuitive sense of Japanese grammar and syntax, and a general ability to tell what's natural from what's not going in.

Also, I bet that kid said stuff wrong not just because he was reading Jojo, but because he didn't even quote Jojo right haha. It's one thing to understand input, but it's another to internalize and be able to apply to output. There's wrong stuff in Jojo, sure, but there isn't any wrong stuff, you know? At the end of the day, it's still a Japanese manga written by a Japanese author for a Japanese audience. If you exclude characters like, say, Santana in "Battle Tendency", who are not supposed to know Japanese well in the first place, every character in Jojo speaks 100% correct Japanese, bar a few idiosyncracies here and there.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought bunkobons were the same page as the tankobon, but shrunk to 80% or less?

You're going to learn a few words about weather forecast and cryptids!

I agree, Jojo's grammar is never wrong, it's just "bizarre". Araki is a good stylist.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i would imagine that if you learn ways of talking from anime you'll end up sounding like the fate of the world is on the line when you're asking if someone likes their sandwich.

i agree that its more of a thing with fiction in general, where dialogue is rarely aiming to be naturalistic and more to exposit and enhance drama.

if you learned your way of speaking english from some fast-talking tv show like Arrested Development you would understandably sound like a psychopath.

---

That volume cover looks dope. I was originally sad they didn't keep the jojonium format going for the entire thing but honestly it makes sense that they wouldn't want araki to have to draw like 3 new illustrations per cover as the parts get longer and longer.

my boy is working his tail off already

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you learned your way of speaking english from some fast-talking tv show like Arrested Development you would understandably sound like a psychopath.
That reminds me of people who spent too long on the Internet and learned English through internet memes until they use them in conversation.
Like saying out loud "pretends to be shocked" when someone says something obvious.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I agree that its more of a thing with fiction in general, where dialogue is rarely aiming to be naturalistic and more to exposit and enhance drama.
In jojo's case, it's the japanese equivalent of reenacting a mexican telenovela.

So, back on topic, I should pretty much get the bunkobon edition, then?
if you have good eyesight and don't mind white borders in your manga(which are pretty triggering to me) sure

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Damn, didn't know Araki has drawn Jolyne in the style of Part 1. Those muscles.

if you have good eyesight and don't mind white borders in your manga(which are pretty triggering to me) sure

Any idea why that is? I don't think I would mind it too much, but it makes the pictures and text even smaller. I'm far-sighted, so I'll be fine as long as there's nothing as egregious as in Berserk.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Any idea why that is? I don't think I would mind it too much, but it makes the pictures and text even smaller. I'm far-sighted, so I'll be fine as long as there's nothing as egregious as in Berserk.
The white borders? Idk they are common in bunkos... the brazilian version is based off bunkos so they all have borders in the pages most likely to make it easier to edit

But honestly, look at that SO postcard

Bunkos are the "pocket books" of manga, so they'll end up being smaller and have the most content they can for the smalles form possible

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
That reminds me of people who spent too long on the Internet and learned English through internet memes until they use them in conversation.
Like saying out loud "pretends to be shocked" when someone says something obvious.
oh boy exactly.

so much of english online posting humor is about ways of speaking that make zero sense without context and only slightly above zero with context

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I thought bunkobons were the same page as the tankobon, but shrunk to 80% or less?

You're going to learn a few words about weather forecast and cryptids!

I agree, Jojo's grammar is never wrong, it's just "bizarre". Araki is a good stylist.

I have no [IDEA] whaaaaaatt you're talking ab~out

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw what you (
5110.jpg
) did here.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The white borders? Idk they are common in bunkos... the brazilian version is based off bunkos so they all have borders in the pages most likely to make it easier to edit

But honestly, look at that SO postcard

Bunkos are the "pocket books" of manga, so they'll end up being smaller and have the most content they can for the smalles form possible

Thanks for the vid! I don't really care about extras, only about which edition is the best to be honest, and/or gives me the best bang for my buck. Bunkobon it is I suppose.

Text in the bunko is definitely smaller.

I'm glad Viz's volumes are bigger.

Oh, I know it's smaller. My only question was "is it too small" for someone with normal eyesight. Again, with my Berserk example, the text is sometimes too damn small. Miura gets wordy sometimes. I was just wondering whether Araki does that too, or if, generally speaking, his font sizes are okay.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, I know it's smaller. My only question was "is it too small" for someone with normal eyesight. Again, with my Berserk example, the text is sometimes too damn small. Miura gets wordy sometimes. I was just wondering whether Araki does that too, or if, generally speaking, his font sizes are okay.
Not 100% sure. But check out that video Mariip posted (around 7:25) for some text from a Part 1 volume.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I barely started battle tendency and I already got Giorno's Theme stuck in my head all day long.
My girlfriend doesn't even watch JoJo and sometimes shouts "JOJOOOO ! GOLDEN WIIIND !"

This is insanity.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the first season of the anime (PB + BT) and stopped there because I always prefer to read the manga, but boy the JoJo manga starts rough. The anime team did a really great job turning it into something more modern because the first part feels really dated.

I'm going through Battle Tendency now and of course it's already substantially better than PB, but the art is still rough and most moments had a lot more impact in the anime. Notoriously when they showed the pillar with all the stone masks, in the anime the pillar is huge and feels like there's hundreds of masks there and I was like OH SHIT this has certainly escalated, but in the manga they show Santana with about 6 or 7 masks around him and it's kinda underwhelming.

So should I keep reading the manga, does it get better in later parts or should I just stick to the anime? What is the consensus, is the anime better than the manga so far?

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anime Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency are much better than the manga, I don't think there's any question about that.
Stardust Crusader is better in manga form. The adaptation is good, but the rigid format of having to divide battles into episodes of 20 minutes made some short passages too long in anime. It gets better when they reach Egypt, but I still prefer the manga version of these episodes. It depends how much of a quick reader you are.
I strongly dislike the adaptation of Diamond. Every single scene I liked in the manga were missing something important. The only good thing was the color choices.
Golden Wind is my favourite part, I adore the manga, and even then, the anime adaptation was so incredibly good that I'd say it's an even 50/50. Both have great strengths and very few misses.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter is into this now but I know nothing about it. She wanted to start reading (English) with Part 6 and then circle back later. Does this not exist yet? I'm confused about availability and how she should approach reading (digital vs. physical).

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
My daughter is into this now but I know nothing about it. She wanted to start reading (English) with Part 6 and then circle back later. Does this not exist yet? I'm confused about availability and how she should approach reading (digital vs. physical).
Only parts 1-4 are available in English officially, and part 4 is not complete at the moment. You'll have to rely on fan scanlations for the rest. I recommend Jojo's Colored Adventure. They're the digital, colored releases by Shueisha and have great translations/quality.

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally started JoJolion. So far I'm loving it. I can see why it may suck if you read chapter by chapter but I really like the main cast and the mystery elements. Seems like Yasuho is the first good female character Araki has had this side of Stone Ocean.

I just finished Love Love Deluxe and there's a lot left but so far I'm really really digging it. Basically just a better version of Part 4, albeit I've never read the manga which I heard is better.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already made a deep dive into one piece last year and bought all 90 tomes in like 6 months... How good is the Jojo manga ?

I wouldn't know. I started with Part 6 last week, haven't read the other parts. Reading it in Japanese too, so I can't comment on the quality of the localization.

The paneling and drawings can be a bit confusing in the black and white editions if you ask me, but that might be partly because I'm reading the bunko edition, which is smaller than the regular tankou.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
how do you folks think star platinum's stats are going to be displayed in stone ocean? It seems like Araki went through two separate ideas of what his stats would be now that he has The World.

The first was changing the "potential" of the stand from "A" to "N/A" or "Complete", since jotaro awakened his true ability and presumably focused on improving it more since part 4. (he didn't stop time at all in between part 3 and 4, according to him)

All other stats were the same, though I don't actually know if part 3's star platinum was given its own stats at this point. same for part 4's.

Then when Jotaro shows up again and his stand is officially called "Star Platinum: The World", his time stop is at 5 seconds, and his "persistence" has been reduced to "E", reflecting the length he can stop time versus his ability to maintain his stand itself. (punching thousands of times without getting tired, ect.)

however his POTENTIAL is now bumped back up to "C", which seems to mean Star Platinum can extend its time stop further or has other hidden abilities.

it's interesting to note that Diego Brando From Another Universe's stats went back to the older way of showing The World and Star Platinum's persistence, focused again on their stand's physicality rather than its ability. his stats are also much more akin to jotaro's than Dio's, as he is human.

So, do you think either of these two stat sheets will be used, or perhaps araki will give the final word on a new one to represent jotaro in part 6?

(would appreciate responses that arent about how stats don't matter, as in this case particularly there seems to have been a lot of thought put into how stats could best represent the stand in question.)

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I got caught up to JoJolion only to learn that Araki is going on break at the worst possible time 😩

It's still really really good. I like it much more than Part 4. The part where Jobin sees the nose was really funny.

Everyone but Josuke is gonna die from the 89 year old Head Doctor and Josuke is gonna unlock the power of "Bites the Dust" and go straight to Jobin's room from the start 😎

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i started reading jorge joestar again after my eyes glazing over one two many times the first time i read it.

man.

this is kind of really bad.

jorge from the past sucks and jorge from the nonsensical reference-filled future feels like a cipher for the author to talk about how well they understand jojo. (i don't really think they do)

and the writing is just so plodding and repetitive and uninteresting even when the craziest shit is happening.

I'm doing my best to accept that maybe the translation isn't perfect but even with that it's clear that the source material itself is basically designed to be something i hate.

It's like the exact opposite problem as Over Heaven, which i also thought was bad.

Over Heaven tried to completely stick to the established canon and not really add anything new or important besides some more detailed backstory about dio's upbringing. the rest of it was a totally colorless recap of part 1 and stardust crusaders.

Jorge Joestar is taking huge liberties with every single aspect of the jojo canon and using them for some incomprehensible bullshit and then just moving on to something else in a jarring and boring way. I honestly take issue less with Eyes of Heaven's approach, especially since they basically had no other option but to include every character in the plot somehow. Jorge has no such limitation.

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about the translation, but the original Japanese was reaaaaally bad. There are better written fanfiction.
haha, that's the impression im getting.

one thing in particular that annoys me is how dialogue exchanges often go on back and forth forever without any indicator of who's speaking, so you have to go back and make sure you found out what person started talking first and remember that every other line is theirs, except sometimes they have two quotation marked sentences in a row or a thought that is written like dialogue and ughh!

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
haha, that's the impression im getting.

one thing in particular that annoys me is how dialogue exchanges often go on back and forth forever without any indicator of who's speaking, so you have to go back and make sure you found out what person started talking first and remember that every other line is theirs, except sometimes they have two quotation marked sentences in a row or a thought that is written like dialogue and ughh!
Japanese has a way to prevent that kind of confusion but im not buying that madness to see if they were used sorry xD

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Japanese has a way to prevent that kind of confusion but im not buying that madness to see if they were used sorry xD
oh ok that would make sense then. there are other things about the writing that make it hard to parse without rereading the same paragraph multiple times and I'm confident at least SOME of them are universal across both languages.

honestly I've just kinda gotten the impression that purple haze feedback might have actually been the peak of jojo light novels. the writing there just seemed incredibly sharp and well-paced, and felt the most like it could have been directly adapted into a manga. it also explored a totally untouched part of jojo canon without being either too ambitious or too bland. but i must also give credit to the translator, who i can tell went above and beyond.

the only ones i havent gotten to yet are golden heart golden ring and the stardust crusaders novel i forget the name of.

tbh im only going back to jorge joestar because i saw someone talk about some of the more wild revalations and had a reaction of "that's stupid... but i want to see just how stupid"