• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
oh ok that would make sense then. there are other things about the writing that make it hard to parse without rereading the same paragraph multiple times and I'm confident at least SOME of them are universal across both languages.

honestly I've just kinda gotten the impression that purple haze feedback might have actually been the peak of jojo light novels. the writing there just seemed incredibly sharp and well-paced, and felt the most like it could have been directly adapted into a manga. it also explored a totally untouched part of jojo canon without being either too ambitious or too bland. but i must also give credit to the translator, who i can tell went above and beyond.

the only ones i havent gotten to yet are golden heart golden ring and the stardust crusaders novel i forget the name of.

tbh im only going back to jorge joestar because i saw someone talk about some of the more wild revalations and had a reaction of "that's stupid... but i want to see just how stupid"
I need to read golden heart golden ring... found the novel last month but havent started yet >_>

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
ok im done. i think i legit lost some brain cells from reading that.

also shout out to the author deciding steel ball run is the result of the first universe loop/ireneverse despite it being made very clear that's not the case.

in fact, shout out to every single canon thing they decided to "fix" for literally no reason since the story ALWAYS just moves on from it like it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matsukaze

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
i started reading jorge joestar again after my eyes glazing over one two many times the first time i read it.

man.

this is kind of really bad.

jorge from the past sucks and jorge from the nonsensical reference-filled future feels like a cipher for the author to talk about how well they understand jojo. (i don't really think they do)

and the writing is just so plodding and repetitive and uninteresting even when the craziest shit is happening.

I'm doing my best to accept that maybe the translation isn't perfect but even with that it's clear that the source material itself is basically designed to be something i hate.

It's like the exact opposite problem as Over Heaven, which i also thought was bad.

Over Heaven tried to completely stick to the established canon and not really add anything new or important besides some more detailed backstory about dio's upbringing. the rest of it was a totally colorless recap of part 1 and stardust crusaders.

Jorge Joestar is taking huge liberties with every single aspect of the jojo canon and using them for some incomprehensible bullshit and then just moving on to something else in a jarring and boring way. I honestly take issue less with Eyes of Heaven's approach, especially since they basically had no other option but to include every character in the plot somehow. Jorge has no such limitation.
Jorge Joestar is the gift that keeps on giving. No one should touch it with a ten foot pole and yet...

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
araki gave averyone a free fanfiction pass when he made part 7 happen in a multiverse, I'm afraid he's got no power over that now
i dunno, i feel like part 7 made it pretty clear that even valentine could never reach the original universe, so separate was it.

but anyways im not necessarily talking about the concept of the story, more the execution, lol.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
i dunno, i feel like part 7 made it pretty clear that even valentine could never reach the original universe, so separate was it.

but anyways im not necessarily talking about the concept of the story, more the execution, lol.
oh i didn't mean the OGverse, inmeant the existance of enough similar universes that would open a breach for someone to go back to OG verse...

Because let's face it, we've seen pucciverse, then irene verse, 39 versions of Kars doesnt seem so unreal...

Diavolo being free is bullshit though, Giorno made Diavoloverse just to prevent that kinda shit.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
oh i didn't mean the OGverse, inmeant the existance of enough similar universes that would open a breach for someone to go back to OG verse...

Because let's face it, we've seen pucciverse, then irene verse, 39 versions of Kars doesnt seem so unreal...

Diavolo being free is bullshit though, Giorno made Diavoloverse just to prevent that kinda shit.
i mean it doesn't seem unreal if there's a good justification, but the idea that being the ultimate life form allows you to survive past the resetting of the universe just doesnt make sense.

plus the fact that he somehow revived and landed on mars is incredibly unlikely, shouldn't he have just gotten caught in the orbit even if he did end up getting close enough? (the chances of which are probably like 10 trillion to 1 considering how big space is)

that's my problem with the writing. it makes big leaps of logic about certain powersets and abilities that arent supported by the established fiction, for example kars being able to turn his body into non-living materials, and of course the absurd "ultimate stand" shit.

Going off Araki's part 7 side chapter on stands, Ultimate Kars' default abilities should probably count as a stand by themselves.

Similarly, Gold Experience Requiem is so poorly understood by the author. Giorno using it on himself to survive doest make any sense, because made in heaven DIDN'T KILL HIM. in fact, any effect of made in heaven that giorno ever experienced was deleted from reality when pucci died, so he would never have had any reason to use GER on himself.

Plus literally every sentence where its like "[person] reached out and attacked GER", im like.... no, they didn't. that's the entire point of its power. literally no hostile action taken against giorno or his stand reaches a result. The idea that being the ultimate organism or having drank the ultimate organism (bullshit, also) exempts you from this is absurd. organisms do not exist above the laws of time and space. they explicitly exist within them.

There are smaller things, like the big dramatic reveal that dio's Ultimate The World Requiem can stop time for an hour because hes an ultimate being, ignoring that he was already on the path to stopping time indefinitely as a normal vampire. like explicitly saying his limit as a vampire was 9 seconds definitely forever, which was never the implication. (and god, what a boring vision of requiem stands, literally just a power up)

And... Beyonds.... fuck, dude. I can't stand the naked luxuriating in how "lol meta" it is as a concept. if it were done well, it could have been good. it was not.

the only thing that really made sense was the concept of the bites the dust/king crimson infinite loop, and even then the author failed to even attempt to set up a logical scenario where this loop would be applicable, since in most cases there is obvious potential for variance.

plus what the fuck did that even matter, in the end? actually, that previous sentence right there is my entire review of every aspect of jorge joestar.

EDIT: sorry if my tone is rude, im not frustrated at you, just what i just read, haha!

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
i mean it doesn't seem unreal if there's a good justification, but the idea that being the ultimate life form allows you to survive past the resetting of the universe just doesnt make sense.
Rohan was too busy to notice the reset, i think logic died there
LMAO seems like it was a hell of a ride

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Rohan was too busy to notice the reset, i think logic died there
LMAO seems like it was a hell of a ride
wait, what part is that from? i originally dropped out halfway through the morioh arc so i might not be remembering some stuff. i thought rohan had no memory of the universe reset like everyone else?

or do you mean in part 6 where he was still turning in his manuscripts on time? i think that was just him accepting that he couldn't do anything about this weird phenomenon and that his skills were still up to the challenge, lol. it's not that he literally couldn't tell that time was speeding up.

I agree that some of those "this is the effect of time acceleration" cutaways were a little too jokey. honestly in the anime i want to see some of them replaced with showing characters from part 4 and 5 experiencing the phenomenon directly.

a lot of them were really good though, especially that one little story that goes on throughout of a kid's room and the manga she was reading decomposing around her as she falls asleep

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
wait, what part is that from? i originally dropped out halfway through the morioh arc so i might not be remembering some stuff. i thought rohan had no memory of the universe reset like everyone else?

or do you mean in part 6 where he was still turning in his manuscripts on time? i think that was just him accepting that he couldn't do anything about this weird phenomenon and that his skills were still up to the challenge, lol. it's not that he literally couldn't tell that time was speeding up.

I agree that some of those "this is the effect of time acceleration" cutaways were a little too jokey. honestly in the anime i want to see some of them replaced with showing characters from part 4 and 5 experiencing the phenomenon directly.

a lot of them were really good though, especially that one little story that goes on throughout of a kid's room and the manga she was reading decomposing around her as she falls asleep
I thought it was from Jorge... afair in one of the novels it's told that rohan survived the reset because he didn't notice it happened at all and it was the dumbest yet most rohan explanation ever

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was from Jorge... afair in one of the novels it's told that rohan survived the reset because he didn't notice it happened at all and it was the dumbest yet most rohan explanation ever
lol. that seems like it could only be from jorge, afaik it's the only light novel that would be in a position to mention that event. (btw we need some light novels about stone ocean.)

it might have had something to do with rohan being in cube/arrow house which at least makes a tiny bit of sense

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
That makes no sense
I think Over Heaven is the closest to SO we get? Unfortunately p6 wasnt recieved all that well...
i have a feeling its about to be recieved extremely well in a year or so :p

and well, wasnt the deal with the arrow house that it had a compartment where time is frozen or whatever? that's how they stopped bites the dust from activating on a person. it doesn't actually make sense unless you accept that arrow house is able to do whatever the fuck the author wants, i agree.

btw i just realized that the king crimson/bites the dust loop doesn't actually make sense because the results don't remain for anything that would have happened to diavolo while he's in erased time. nothing can affect him, so thus bites the dust would not trigger on him, thus time would not reset. and then he'd donut kira.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Palazzo the first one pretty clearly seems to be about arakis love of quotations in weird places. I've learned to train my mind to think of quotations differently when "reading" his "work". if you get what i "mean".

the second one is something i don't consider myself qualified to answer but it seeeeems like he writes a word that means an apology using a katakana character instead of a hiragana one, which i guess indicates more formality or seriousness? can't really make out what the panel is from so I'll have to take kamiya's word that it doesn't fit the scene.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Iggy, given Araki's approach to grammar in Jojo earlier on this page - I saw these tweets (https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1160381240832192512) (https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1160381526883758080) from game developer Hideki Kamiya several months ago and they still have me curious. Is he talking about finding some particular element of Jojo's grammar or writing, or word choices, weird?
It's more of a stylistic choice that he disagrees with (and he happens to be correct).
He starts by saying he loves Jojo and admires Araki's unique way of turning a sentence. However, Araki often uses a structure ("words without ら", "omitting ら") that rubs him the wrong way. It is a mistake, and Kamiya is correct to point that out. When speaking, the ら is often omitted in the られる, structure, however it doesn't mean you shouldn't write it down. In the particular case he's screencapping, it's Valentine speaking. And having Valentine saying something that makes him look like he made a common mistake makes him look very unpresidential (even though, if the scene were dubbed, it wouldn't be a problem).
However, it's not as terrible as, say, an English writer mistaking "its" and "it's". While grammatically omitting ら is a mistake, the fact it is very often not spoken means that the language is changing, and more and more people think the structure without "ら" is the correct one. With a bit of generational shift, less old people and more young people, it's probable the ら structure will be seen as old-fashioned, while the writing without ら will be natural and normal.
(Note: it is going to make learning Japanese even worse, because some verbs keep the ら in all circumstances, for example 考えられる is never pronounced 考えれる, as far as I can see).
In a way, Valentine here is using young slang that clashes with the character and the general tone of the manga (obviously, he's not the only character using the ら-less structure, but in his case it's particularly egregious).

The other one is just about replacing a long vowel with a ー , which is a mistake as well, but more of a mark of laziness than a mark of anything. It does undermine the most serious scenes, though. It's like the character couldn't be bothered to properly articulate.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
It's more of a stylistic choice that he disagrees with (and he happens to be correct).
He starts by saying he loves Jojo and admires Araki's unique way of turning a sentence. However, Araki often uses a structure ("words without ら", "omitting ら") that rubs him the wrong way. It is a mistake, and Kamiya is correct to point that out. When speaking, the ら is often omitted in the られる, structure, however it doesn't mean you shouldn't write it down. In the particular case he's screencapping, it's Valentine speaking. And having Valentine saying something that makes him look like he made a common mistake makes him look very unpresidential (even though, if the scene were dubbed, it wouldn't be a problem).
However, it's not as terrible as, say, an English writer mistaking "its" and "it's". While grammatically omitting ら is a mistake, the fact it is very often not spoken means that the language is changing, and more and more people think the structure without "ら" is the correct one. With a bit of generational shift, less old people and more young people, it's probable the ら structure will be seen as old-fashioned, while the writing without ら will be natural and normal.
(Note: it is going to make learning Japanese even worse, because some verbs keep the ら in all circumstances, for example 考えられる is never pronounced 考えれる, as far as I can see).
In a way, Valentine here is using young slang that clashes with the character and the general tone of the manga (obviously, he's not the only character using the ら-less structure, but in his case it's particularly egregious).

The other one is just about replacing a long vowel with a ー , which is a mistake as well, but more of a mark of laziness than a mark of anything. It does undermine the most serious scenes, though. It's like the character couldn't be bothered to properly articulate.
iinteresting. I thought ー was interchangable with that character based on how it is very often used to write that sound in jojo.

and that first one is also interesting. perhaps it is similar to classic comic book writers using "thru" instead of "through" to save space in speech balloons? tho obviously a little different if it's becoming colloquial.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

Jojo seems like a great way to unlearn japanese... @—@

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That reminds me: one thing I find slightly grating in the anime is the voice actors' (or, should I say, the casting director's) commitment to having the characters say every じゃあ with that additional あ, the way it's written in the original text. It sounds so forced when you hear it systematically haha. I don't think I've ever seen any anime (or show, for that matter) that did that until Jojo.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That reminds me: one thing I find slightly grating in the anime is the voice actors' (or, should I say, the casting director's) commitment to having the characters say every じゃあ with that additional あ, the way it's written in the original text. It sounds so forced when you hear it systematically haha. I don't think I've ever seen any anime (or show, for that matter) that did that until Jojo.
It was particularly bad in Golden Wind I think. It's like they were saying じゃあ(・)ない with a pause in the middle. Really strange. And all the characters were talking like that, so it was definitely a request from the director.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was particularly bad in Golden Wind I think. It's like they were saying じゃあ(・)ない with a pause in the middle. Really strange. And all the characters were talking like that, so it was definitely a request from the director.

Honestly, I didn't notice it immediately when I first started watching the whole series, but Golden Wind didn't strike me as particularly bad. It's in every season, with every character, across the board. I think it first really stuck out to me in Joutarou's mouth. So weird... Bizarre, even.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably because I know the script of GW by heart, especially the Capcom version, so I kept comparing it in my mind and thinking "Park Romi wouldn't have said it like that!"

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Probably because I know the script of GW by heart, especially the Capcom version, so I kept comparing it in my mind and thinking "Park Romi wouldn't have said it like that!"
The new VA for the part was awesome though xD, i can't even think of playing the games nowadays because of that

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Y'all think Chocolate Disco presence was too short in part 7?
Then again my memory of the manga is vague at that point ^^;

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all think Chocolate Disco presence was too short in part 7?
Then again my memory of the manga is vague at that point ^^;
I think it was the best punchline ever in Jojo. Setting up the character as a major antagonist with a distinctive design and speech pattern, a power that looks so ridiculous that it has to be super strong, is this character the Vanilla Ice or Rizotto of part 7...?
No just kidding he's gone back to the real fight.

Also, he's one of the very rare references to Japanese music in Jojo, and those rarely end up significant (Depending on whether you count the name "Kujô" or not). We still don't have a YMO stand...

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
EQyFl2yUUAETkgo

!!!

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
re-reading the early chapters it strikes me how much of a weird dork young jonathan was.

i feel like if the phantom blood anime had been its own (still relatively short) season there are a lot of details that would have been interesting to see expanded on. It was still a good adaptation and im loving seeing all the panels that were referenced in extremely high quality and detail.

Honestly that first episode of the anime is one of my favorites: it feels so cinematic and packs so much character work and setup into not that much time. it's truly amazing when you realize how many chapters of the manga it covers at once.

Also, having now looked at some of araki's earlier work, its interesting to see how clearly part 1's look is descended from those, especially in terms of how he draws eyes and mouths. Dario Brando feels like a character that could have come directly from "Poker Under Arms/Armed Poker".

(also i guess this is the first time that I've read this knowing what gorgeous irene is, so i guess dio has good taste in books)

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly that first episode of the anime is one of my favorites: it feels so cinematic and packs so much character work and setup into not that much time. it's truly amazing when you realize how many chapters of the manga it covers at once.

Have to agree with you there, especially with the way music is used. But it's worth pointing, generally speaking, that the first episode of each Jojo part tends to be of high quality. It's probably an anime thing, where the creators just go the extra mile for the first episode to hook people in. Samurai Champloo's first episode left the same impression, for instance.

Diamond is Unbreakable's first episode is one of my favorite episodes in the entirety of the JoJo anime. No joke, I've probably watched it 10 times. It's something to do with the pacing, the music, the transitions... Very high quality stuff.

As much as I love the completely bonkers nature of JoJo in general - that's its main selling point after all -, I wish it were more plot-driven, slightly more down to earth, and less wordy at times. I think the main reason for that problem is the length of each part and the monster-of-the-week format. Say what you will about Parts 1 and 2, but rewatching them after Parts 3, 4 and 5 feels like a breath of fresh air.

I'm in the middle of the Stone Ocean manga, which seems to follow the established structure so far, but I think I heard Part 7 tries to recapture that feeling from Parts 1 and 2 a bit (not talking about the fact that
it's a completely new universe, though I don't know the circumstances of that world "reset" and don't want to be spoiled).
Without spoiling, is that the case?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Have to agree with you there, especially with the way music is used. But it's worth pointing, generally speaking, that the first episode of each Jojo part tends to be of high quality. It's probably an anime thing, where the creators just go the extra mile for the first episode to hook people in.

Diamond is Unbreakable's first episode is one of my favorite episodes in the entirety of the JoJo anime. No joke, I've probably watched it 10 times. It's something to do with the pacing, the music, the transitions... Very high quality stuff.

As much as I love the completely bonkers nature of JoJo in general - that's its main selling point after all -, I wish it were more plot-driven, slightly more down to earth, and less wordy at times. I think the main reason for that problem is the length of each part and the monster-of-the-week format. Say what you will about Parts 1 and 2, but rewatching them after Parts 3, 4 and 5 feels like a breath of fresh air.

I'm in the middle of the Stone Ocean manga, which seems to follow the established structure so far, but I think I heard Part 7 tries to recapture that feeling from the Parts 1 and 2 a bit (not talking about the fact that
it's a completely new universe, though I don't know the circumstances of that world "reset" and don't want to be spoiled).
Without spoiling, is that the case?
in some ways id say so, though it still has that serialized dna.

I still prefer part 5 and 6 to 7, but its undoubtedly great and many people's favorite.

i feel like 5 and 6 did a good job making sure there were many different objectives throughout the story, turning each set of monster of the week fights into something with a specific circumstance it's based around and letting that context seep into the fights themselves. 7 continues to refine that balance, i feel.

I definitely missed the more targeted plot focus in parts 3 and 4 compared to 1 and 2, but the fights and characters themselves are so inventive and fun that i still enjoy them overall.

and when the plot does get more focused its always exciting.

in the end though: I love monster of the week stories! it fits with the fact that so much of the series is inspired by sherlock holmes, who was similarly serialized.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the middle of the Stone Ocean manga, which seems to follow the established structure so far, but I think I heard Part 7 tries to recapture that feeling from Parts 1 and 2 a bit. Without spoiling, is that the case?
I think SBR really tried at first. But a few volumes in, we're back at the monster of the volume format. I think this format is just too natural for Araki's scatterbrain nature for him to move away from it too long.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Have to agree with you there, especially with the way music is used. But it's worth pointing, generally speaking, that the first episode of each Jojo part tends to be of high quality
There's so much stuff packed in the first 90 seconds of VA that i still think it's nuts how they managed to do it. The whole episode is amazing and feels like an one hour pack of awesomeness but it's really 25ish minutes of very well built storytelling, the source material was already good but the changes they made really sold the main character to me, before watching part 5 i thought part 4 was so good nothing would be better than it and then Giorno starts pulling magician stunts to pickpocket and i'm sold D: watched all the episoded they had availble on the same day D:

I think SBR really tried at first. But a few volumes in, we're back at the monster of the volume format. I think this format is just too natural for Araki's scatterbrain nature for him to move away from it too long.
Jojolion does a good job at breaking it sometimes, it's still a bit monster of the volumey but the major plotlines surrounding the battles are much more proeminent

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
jojolion does a great job of sitting you down and saying "here's how that last brace of fights fits into the larger context of what's going on here".

Giorno's smooth-ass reverse pickpocketing move is def one of my favorite anime-only part 5 moments. just the fact that he does it without either the mark or the original pickpocketer noticing ~without even using his stand~ shows he's on another level of street smarts. you immediately understand the boy grew up in the seedy part of town.

and then he takes his "tip" from the wallet (seemingly a relatively small amount that won't be missed) and immediately gets you thinking about his character and wondering what exactly his morality is shaped like.

It's hard to overstate how awesome it is that jojo premieres are always so strong. Because honestly that's usually the weakest part of most anime imo. One of the reasons i stuck with jojo is that i was already drawn into the story by the first 5 minutes. i wasn't still waiting for the hook: the hook was just right there immediately. that's partially down the the smart adaptation choices they made and partially down to how the source material itself is so intense from second one.

you get the feeling that this could solely be a story about a line of noblemen protecting their fortune from scammers and business rivals through the years and it would still be fascinating and dramatic and intense!

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Forgot the bit where he uses the money to buy gelatto to a kid
even that still feels complex because it seems like he has enough money to get one for himself as well solely from that one pickpocket. but you're right, it gets the robin hood feeling going. but then he steals koichi's entire luggage and you're conflicted again! it so seamlessly blends into the moment when the manga actually starts

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
even that still feels complex because it seems like he has enough money to get one for himself as well solely from that one pickpocket. but you're right, it gets the robin hood feeling going. but then he steals koichi's entire luggage and you're conflicted again! it so seamlessly blends into the moment when the manga actually starts
him using the money for ice cream is actually pretty cute, you can see he's still young for that kinda thing, them priorities

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
he sure does NOT look 15 in the anime
tbh i think he looks older in the manga at the beginning, around the time when his hair gets a little less spiky he looks much younger. the anime strikes a balance somewhere between those. i can accept it honestly, some teens just look hella old super early

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably check out the manga, since I own the originals.
That makes it not illegal, right? :P
If araki got the money you're doing it right *shrug* I wished they sold the novels in english.... and the manga.... the bunkos are so expensive to import to brazil x__x

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I think Viz will do them eventually since it's only two volumes. But who knows with them.
at this rate i'd rather get the mangas in japanese... the novels are a different kind of beast because i still have a hard time reading long streches of text in japanese without visual aid, but i'm pretty confident I can read the manga... I'd get viz's version for the hardcover because I'm a sucked for that kind of stuff though

For now i'm just waiting to see if Panini will get to part 4~6, though i really hate their product quality =/.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
After re-watching the Part V anime, it's weird to think that we bid farewell to our lovely Gang-Stars in Italy and venture off to the most bizarre location of them all....

Florida.
I was totally thrown by the setting of part 6 since i went in totally blind. I didn't know it was florida, I didn't know it was a prison, and I kind of assumed when jotaro showed up that they would get out THEN and go on an adventure across america. It was a wild hard left turn from following these ultra-suave gangsters who are basically walking around italy like gods, hijacking planes and hitching rides in cars using an interdimensional turtle. Then all of a sudden you're watching stand users get talked down to and micromanaged by prison guards because they either don't have a stand suitable for escape attempts or they have some ulterior motive for staying in prison.