• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Rules are broken.
284px-Th16Reimu.png
Oh fuck this does mean Saber has a chance.

No rule has been broken and now both of them have games on Nintendo systems.

They are totally in!

lol

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Japan anyway, it never having been used for it there at all in spite of being spun off from SMT (still been a good while since they quit tacking that on to raise visibility, which ended six years ago now with P4G).

Time doesn't mean much when that was the last game and it was tacked on the game (Persona 4 PS2) that was released just before that one. It being taken off 6 years ago would have had more of a meaning if we had gotten 4 or 5 Persona games in that time but we didn't. But yeah, me saying recently doesn't help my point. I take back my recent comment.

It's stuck as a subseries in my mind because I've been playing the Persona series since the first one and they always had the SMT all over them up until Golden.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Cloud has been on multiple Nintendo KH games, multiple Theatrhythm games and Final Fantasy Explorers. Not to mention FFVII is literally coming to Switch next year now. I also feel Nintendo knew he would have been the biggest 'get' they possibly could have when they went for FF last time.

It's like when Smash got Snake and the PS knock-off got... Raiden. :P

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
The ResetEra hot takes that every DLC character would be characters like Piranha Plant now that Nintendo are the ones choosing DLC characters sure look even sillier now :b

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Persona 5 is the only game that really tempted me to buy a PS4 in the past.. if next year will be announced for Switch together with gameplay trailer for Joker in Smash, I would be too happy! I really like anyway the first DLC character, almost more than some of the newcomers

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Again. Fire Emblem Is FIRST PARTY GAME.

If you cant see the difference, it is probably better not to reply.
And? You are the one who came up with the rule that if it didn't come to the west yet than it doesn't count. The fact is Joker has appeared on a Nintendo system, it doesn't matter whether it has released in the U.S yet.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
YESSSSSSS! DLC is delivering already! I always knew Joker was possible! Atlus rep is finally here!

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Chrono Trigger is pretty much a DQ in all but name and Sugiyama music.
CT is far more unique and interesting, Chrono would be the perfect SE character that we won't get.

About Joker, Persona is the biggest ATLUS saga at this point, and Joker is the best MC from the Persona games IMO. And yeah, he will sell a ton. Jack Frost is a better representative of SMT/Persona, sure, as Chocobo is a better representative of FF than Cloud, but I prefer characters over mascots, and Smash has a lot of "mascot" characters from Nintendo.

Obviously, I want a Xc2 character too, to revive the BotW/P5/Xc2 2017 magic again!

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
P5 will get announced in January direct. It might even shadow drop. I dont see a character being in Smash when the game he is synonymous with has had a recent release on other platformsbut not Switch. Everyone who is coming up with convoluted justifications for him being in need to accept the simplest explanation. P5 is being ported to Switch.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know there's a lot of crying in this thread, so I will take a moment to clear some things up:
1. Atlus and Nintendo are extremely close, in fact going back to the NES era Nintendo has been willing to bend its own rules for Atlus
2. Persona is a major third party franchise at this point, getting it associated with your console is something you want
3. Persona games have shown up on Nintendo hardware
4. This is the most important point—Final Fantasy 7 had zero history on Nintendo, Cloud shows up in Smash, then FF7 gets announced for Switch. In all likelihood this precedes a Persona 5 Switch announcement happening next April, during the Persona Super Live concert already announced.

TL;DR: Stop crying because Joker got in over whoever the fuck you thought would.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
P5 will get announced in January direct. It might even shadow drop. I dont see a character being in Smash when the game he is synonymous with has had a recent release on other platformsbut not Switch. Everyone who is coming up with convoluted justifications for him being in need to accept the simplest explanation. P5 is being ported to Switch.

Yes it is. But it won't be announced in January. It will be announced in April at the Persona concert.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
PERSONA BABY

Hopefully the other PT post-Madarame show up as well!

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I think if a P5 Switch port was coming it would have been announced when Reggie was on stage, he even kept mentioning Persona 5 & didn't even mention Q2 like people keep pretending is the reason hes in, it seems Nintendo doesn't care mainline Persona is a Sony thing.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I know there's a lot of crying in this thread, so I will take a moment to clear some things up:
1. Atlus and Nintendo are extremely close, in fact going back to the NES era Nintendo has been willing to bend its own rules for Atlus
2. Persona is a major third party franchise at this point, getting it associated with your console is something you want
4. This is the most important point—Final Fantasy 7 had zero history on Nintendo, Cloud shows up in Smash, then FF7 gets announced for Switch. In all likelihood this precedes a Persona 5 Switch announcement happening next April, during the Persona Super Live concert already announced.

TL;DR: Stop crying because Joker got in over whoever the fuck you thought would.

This is exactly what a Phantom Thief would say before stealing our hearts.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
They might as well throw Dante in there too, even though he has nothing to do with Nintendo. My brother would absolutely love it and seeing Dante vs Bayonetta would truly be what Smash is all about (dream battles!)

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in stun lock from this

NONE OF THIS WAS REAL HOW OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE IT JOKER IS IN SMASH

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Atlus as a company doesn't do straight ports, so your simplest explanation cannot be it.

Either p5 isn't coming to switch or the game will get an updated rerelease with new content on switch.

It won't just be a port at any rate. Doubt it gets announced in Jan either, there's a upcoming persona concert where it'll be announced if anywhere.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
They might as well throw Dante in there too, even though he has nothing to do with Nintendo. My brother would absolutely love it and seeing Dante vs Bayonetta would truly be what Smash is all about (dream battles!)
Yeah. I'd prefer some 1st party characters within the 4 DLC characters left, but if Dante is one of them I'd be happy nonetheless.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

The real question is it a full blown expanded version of P5 like Persona 4 Golden or just a simple port job for the Switch. Leaning towards the former but I'm curious if it's a late 2019 release or something for 2020.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jack Frost as an assist trophy

Demi Fiend, Flynn, and persona 2/4 protags as spirits

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I find it ironic at the convenient goal post moving to preserve the weak justification whether a particular character deserves / doesn't deserve to be in Smash.

If you some of you are that up in arms over ONE character out of a roster of 75+ being the game. It makes me wonder if you were truly that interested in the game to begin with.

Oct 27, 2017

Yep, I would say its a matter of time.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, no. The "has appeared on a Nintendo system before" is a borderline insultingly low bar and it's tiring to see it parroted so much. If a character is gonna be on a Nintendo all-star game, it needs to be a Nintendo star. End of story.
I think you need to accept that Smash Brothers has been more of a celebration of Japanese gaming history than anything Nintendo specific since Brawl. Nintendo just gets a stronger general focus for obvious reasons.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
There were multiple Metal Gear games on Nintendo systems and Final Fantasy is a massive series that got its start on Nintendo and Cloud is the most recognizable character from that series.
Persona started as a spin off of SMT, but it's pretty much its own series that has no history on Nintendo outside of an Etrian Odyssey spinoff and Joker isn't a significant character in gaming history either.

You know, the biggest problem I have with this logic is that Snake in Smash is clearly based on MGS2, a game that never touched a Nintendo system and had music from MGS4.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

Nah, there is really no if's or but's about this, it's a poor pick Nintendo rep wise & it's ironically stolen a spot from far more worthy Nintendo characters, some of which were no doubt in the top 10 of that ballot.
I love Persona & Joker is cool, but this wasn't the strongest pick, maybe if it came with Persona 5 Crimson on Switch, i would give it more of pass.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
While I really want P5 on Switch I find it hard to believe if it was happening, surely to coincide with this they would announce them together?

Sony have had a stranglehold on Persona for awhile while SMT has been Nintendo's thing so we'll see.