Joker from Persona 5 announced for Smash Bros. Ultimate (DLC Pack 1)

May 17, 2018
Similar to how FFVII specifically is represented in Smash rather than FF as a whole, it said Smash Bros. x Persona 5 so I wouldn't really expect any music from the other games. Would be cool to see it happen, though.

Neoxon

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This was Nintendo themselves that made this selection

So you guys can cut it with your stupid ass rules.
I mean, there are a few rules that still exist.
  • Must have originated from a video game (Ex: No Goku, SpongeBob, etc.)
  • Isn’t already an Assist Trophy or a Poké Ball Pokémon (Ex: No Spring Man, Eevee, etc.)
  • Appeared on a Nintendo system at least once (Ex: Persona Q2 for Joker, Metal Gear NES & MGS: Twin Snakes for Snake, etc.)

Oct 25, 2017
I must say I'm not feeling it.
We got the worst persona MC from the worst Persona game, instead of Flynn, the Doom marine from SJ or the Devil Survivor MC.
Heck, even Jack frost would make more sense. Choosing joker it's just stupid.
I mean I like other characters more than Joker too, but to say that Joker doesn't make sense is silly.

Persona 5 is the current hotness right now, there was literally no way it'd be anybody else lol.

Oct 25, 2017
  • Isn’t already an Assist Trophy or a Poké Ball Pokémon (Ex: No Spring Man, Eevee, etc.)
  • Appeared on a Nintendo system at least once (Ex: Persona Q2 for Joker, Metal Gear NES & MGS: Twin Snakes for Snake, etc.)
I don't think the last one has ever been stated explicitly by Sakurai.

Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Nintendo's press release via Gematsu

-The Persona games are a spinoff of the popular Shin Megami Tensei franchise, which has a long and storied history in the world of video games – with many of the games appearing on Nintendo systems. Sporting an iconic mask and a variety of weapons, Joker is the main character of Persona 5, a beloved game that won Best Role-Playing Game and was nominated for Game of the Year at last year’s The Game Awards.-

Joker apparently represents SMT and that's why they chose him. The way they worded it makes it seem like he's just there to promote SMTV.
Oh good. Nintendo announced that almost all of the PS1/PS2 Final Fantasy games were coming to Switch like 12 hours after you definitively declared that they would remain Sony exclusive forever, so hopefully your reverse-Nostradamus works again.

Goku is coming, Sakurai had a change of heart

Oct 25, 2017
I discussed recently with a friend at a gaming store that it was becoming hard for me to choose characters I would want to see in the game, because they were all in the game. This announcement makes me realize that it's now time for others to choose. I played Persona 5 for a little bit but then had to move. Joker is a fantastic character and fits well with what Smash is doing. There are some absolutely absurdly hardcore P fans out there though, and I am happy they have a rep to look forward to. Plus, playing as Joker in Smash is going to be one hell of a hum dinger given the change in gameplay.

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if any other Persona character is gonna get in as an Assist Trophy. Also, I'm kinda picturing Joker playing similar to Robin with some Bayo thrown in as well.

Oct 25, 2017
But isn’t Persona 5 a ps4 exclusive?
They’re marketing the PS/Switch owners?
So? So is the Castlevania remake that Richter is a part of. Cloud and Snake are also far more famous on Playstation than on Nintendo and both had more stuff to offer on the Sony console than for Nintendo. People just need to accept that Nintendo doesn't actually care about "selling other people's consoles" so long as you are buying their stuff as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, there has to be a P5 "Crimson" announcement coming soon. There's no way they pulled all of those voice actors back in only for this. Gimme a Kawakami spirit Sakurai.

Oct 28, 2017
But isn’t Persona 5 a ps4 exclusive?
They’re marketing the PS/Switch owners?

Is that supposed to be a penis?
Nintendo dont care. And we are supposed to be okay with it too. As Joker is popular, Persona is bigger than SMT and us who dont like this character is just lame and old fashioned people.

Oct 27, 2017
No, on the right side. She’s wearing her mask.
That's link, why would you expect a random p5 cast member in the middle of them flashing through the other major smash characters?

The dancing games literally came out only a few days ago. The sales are going to boost now because of this.
And Q2 released a week ago?... Nintendo chose to announce this now and obviously doesn't care about Sony's titles selling more...

Oct 25, 2017
Also I might be the only person who cares about this and that’s fine but that trailer confirms a Makoto spirit.
...no, you are not the only person who cares that Makoto is now present in some form in a Smash game. :P

God. Being able to revisit P5's world in a stage, seeing P5 character representation among the spirits, being able to just throw on some of that fantastic music in the background... seriously, this Joker announcement is making me fall in love again with Smash's very premise. They sure waited last minute to make me feel these things.

Edit: Apparently you were wrong about the Makoto thing, but I'm still holding out hope.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's press release via Gematsu

-The Persona games are a spinoff of the popular Shin Megami Tensei franchise, which has a long and storied history in the world of video games – with many of the games appearing on Nintendo systems. Sporting an iconic mask and a variety of weapons, Joker is the main character of Persona 5, a beloved game that won Best Role-Playing Game and was nominated for Game of the Year at last year’s The Game Awards.-

Joker apparently represents SMT and that's why they chose him. The way they worded it makes it seem like he's just there to promote SMTV.
You better pray thats the truth so that you ca continue sleeping at night.