• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This completely changed speculation didn't it

Like god damn, we really don't know what mindset Nintendo has picking these characters anymore lol

Really depends on who they announce next, lol. Atlus has been making games for Nintendo for a long time. (They even made a Virtual Boy game!)

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Would it be selfish if I said I wanted all of it in Smash? Because I do. I want all that Persona 5 music in Smash
The soundtrack is so great that as many as possible is best lol.
Where's Layer Cake, chum
Hey I've got no problem with that song. The OST is waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too amazing lol.
No Keeper of Lust? Disgusting
Can't believe I forgot about it, that'll definitely be included.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
To be fair, I wouldn't have ever expected Joker, Banjo, or ESPECIALLY such a deep cut as Crono. Sylux and a FE character are odd ones out- but I think the other three alone means those two don't cross out Reggie's statement. Hell, if the FE character isn't a Three Houses character but is a fan fave like Hector, Camilla, or Tharja, that'd be a surprise too, imo.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think we are going to see KH on Switch next year so I firmly believe in Sora. It is not the easiest character to get but it would follow Joker's inclusion logic.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The style of Joker's reveal trailer makes me think that Dante is a lock at this point.

I'll explain: It's pretty obvious that Joker was selected at least a month or two ago (long enough time to make a CG trailer and record voice lines), but I think barely any work has actually been done yet on creating him in game (hence not even a character select screen render for the website's fighter section).

I don't know how many of you remember, but awhile back there was a leak on 4chan that got a ton of information about Devil May Cry 5 correct before these details were revealed (V's combat style, how saving worked in the game, etc). In addition to details about DMC5, they also said Dante would be in Smash because they had seen a CG trailer for him.

At the time, people dismissed it because the director for DMC5 came out and said the rumors of Dante in Smash were false, and the leaker did not provide any details about how Dante played at all (nothing about his moveset). People found that suspicious because up untill now, every Smash character trailer has showed off actual gameplay to some degree.

Assuming that the rest of the DLC reveals will function similarly to the Joker trailer (no gameplay), I think it's possible that the entirely CG reveal trailer for Dante that the leaker talked about was indeed real.
That claim was extra light on details but it did mention some minor gameplay elements, like Dante having many moves and his FS being something particular. I don't remember what exactly because I don't recognize DmC things, but I do remember that poster referred to it as Dante's ultimate, keeping in sync with the "I don't know much about Smash" claim.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The real leaker with dante in smash has two options

Dante is actually dlc

Or the re leaker wanted to do a joke fake leak about smash and used his or her real credibilty for it, with it n9t reallg taking a hit since evreything else would be right.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People who think Joker isn't a big deal just because he hasn't been on a Nintendo platform before are nuts. P5 has sold what, ten million copies? Broaden your horizons, people, you're talking like someone who's never gone more than 50 miles away from where they were born.

Super excited for this, and I fully expect that Persona 5 is going to get a Switch port now.
Not sure if this is meant in jest, but I got a good chuckle at the "ten million copies" bit. Barely sold more than a fifth of that. 10M is pretty much impossible in the current climate for a turn based JRPG like that. But the ~2.5M it did sell are definitely nothing to scoff at.

Though I find it ironic you tell others to broaden their horizons when some arguments of Persona 5 being relatively niche aren't too far fetched. But hey, I got a character I wanted who I thought had 0% chance of getting in so I'm not complaining haha

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Adding Joker is basically saying "fuck logic, let's just make this the most fucking badass roster of characters in any game ever"

so all bets are off

Oh, this made me remember the Quip at the Russo brothers when Reggie said Smash ultimate was the greatest cross over in all media, maybe that quip (along the exclusive, nintendo published MUA3) was a hint that a Marvel character could make it into smash, lol.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What do you think his final smash will be? I hope it's an all-out attack with all the phantom thieves jumping in, and the camera zooms in on Joker doing his victory pose as the enemies are sent flying (or insta-KO'd). Or, Joker's All-Out Attack pose can be his victory animation. I just want all the Phantom Thieves to have models in the game. lol

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Still can't believe Joker's coming. The season pass is already worth it to me.

Really curious to see what the remaining characters will wind up being.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
What do you think his final smash will be? I hope it's an all-out attack with all the phantom thieves jumping in, and the camera zooms in on Joker doing his victory pose as the enemies are sent flying (or insta-KO'd). Or, Joker's All-Out Attack pose can be his victory animation. I just want all the Phantom Thieves to have models in the game. lol
All out attack seems like a safe bet given what we've seen from other Final Smash games

I think Jack Frost had to be an assist trophy as well. I doubt Sakurai would not let Jack be involved in some way outside of a spirit

Sceptre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this character will be playable in over a year from now.
ultimate was first announced and then released in much less than that

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I still got my bets on the Luminary from DQXI getting in when DQXIS comes out :P

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this was posted but since TGA muted the audience microphone during the direct feed portions, here's how the audience that night responded to the reveal.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
5 DLC characters. Last one estimated release is February of 2020.

So from now to February 2020 divide by 5 and you got a rough estimate of character releases. My guess is he is coming in February.
Probably won't land at the same time as Piranha Plant. I would guess:
  1. February: Piranha Plant
  2. April: Joker
  3. June: DLC Pack 2
  4. August: DLC Pack 3
  5. October: DLC Pack 4
  6. December: DLC Pack 5

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Shame it's a character from a boring game.

Still rather have Goku as the sole exception for not being a game character.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Totally. And people who're actually asking for yet another Fire Emblem character...why? Fire Emblem has been treated better in Smash than it probably ever deserved to be, it doesn't need yet another character so soon.

As seen with Fire Emblem Warriors, there are a lot of Fire Emblem fans who object when their series' representation is comprised mostly of same-y sword-users. Smash's Fire Emblem representation falls into the same trap, and gets the same response.

I'd trade Corrin for Hector, Edelgard, Ephraim, or any number of other characters.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
The shot of Joker holding the envelope between his fingers still gets me. Like, I still can't fully grasp it as being a real thing.

Apr 21, 2018
As seen with Fire Emblem Warriors, there are a lot of Fire Emblem fans who object when their series' representation is comprised mostly of same-y sword-users. Smash's Fire Emblem representation falls into the same trap, and gets the same response.

I'd trade Corrin for Hector, Edelgard, Ephraim, or any number of other characters.

Yeah it really is weird how all the FE characters in Smash hold swords. I guess Ike's sword is a bit different. But it's weird that there is no FE character with an axe or lance.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what do you think his Classic mode run will be like?

I'm guessing he'll fight most of Nintendo's villains.

And his final boss will be Galeem.