• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly I'm still kind of shook from that announcement lol. Never thought it was gonna happen but Joker probably was my most wanted character for Ultimate (other than Geno). It's not often a game announcement can get me to scream at the top of my lungs but this one did it lmao.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yeah as for my reaction to this I literally went numb and stayed numb for like 10 minutes. Joker in Smash was what i wanted. I had been joking about it for like a year now, joking because I never thought it would happen. To see it happen on that stage, my mind literally went numb. I'm still not sure I didn't just doze off while watching the show and this is not just all a dream lol.
Ok. now you need to stop the urge to make 10 threads about this!

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Haha I have no idea who joker is but I don't mind them having what seems to be some combination of Lupin the III and Tuxedo Mask that gets power from demon souls inside his body? Ok sounds fine to me.

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still cannot get over how fucking amazing that reveal was. I'm watching the screen, Smash being the FARTHEST THING from what I think this could be, and boom, card flip, he's being invited to motherfucking SUPER SMASH BROTHERS!!! 10/10 reveal. They need to keep the DLC reveals like this. Unexpecting and styled in a way that you'd have no idea it would end with Smash. Isabelle was the first step, this is the next level.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Haha I have no idea who joker is but I don't mind them having what seems to be some combination of Lupin the III and Tuxedo Mask that gets power from demon souls inside his body? Ok sounds fine to me.
Not an awful description of him honestly. Though sadly given the themes they really didn't push the anti-hero angle in Persona 5 nearly as hard as they could have.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Holy fucking shit I had forgotten what it felt like to be genuinely blown away and hyped for a Smash reveal instead of just thinking "yeah okay sure" and being mildly excited. It's been so long. Maybe even since Brawl. I'm so happy right now.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Nintendo's press release via Gematsu

-The Persona games are a spinoff of the popular Shin Megami Tensei franchise, which has a long and storied history in the world of video games – with many of the games appearing on Nintendo systems. Sporting an iconic mask and a variety of weapons, Joker is the main character of Persona 5, a beloved game that won Best Role-Playing Game and was nominated for Game of the Year at last year's The Game Awards.-

Joker apparently represents SMT and that's why they chose him. The way they worded it makes it seem like he's just there to promote SMTV.

Jun 21, 2018
You can 100% the game, but it's really hard to do without a guide on your first playthrough. And using a guide kind of ruins the experience, IMHO. It's the sort of game that rewards not being a perfectionist, because part of the joy is the freedom to decide how you want to spend your time.

Yes, the need to use a guide is ruining it for me. I don't have the time anymore to play it multiple times like I did for Persona 4. It's a really good game anyway if you have time to enjoy it.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
So, Final Smash must be All-Out Attack, right? We might see other cast members make cameos, which would be nice. Unfortunately, it would probably be the Persona 5 cast, whom I didn't connect with nearly as well as the one in 2, 3, or 4. Ryuji worst bro.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still smiling from this stupid reveal. It was so unexpected.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
I sure hope he has his day clothes as an alternate outfit. Also, there's so many stage options and regardless of which one they choose so many options for cameos~

Please include music from P3, P4, PQ, and maybe even some SMT music as well.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's press release via Gematsu

-The Persona games are a spinoff of the popular Shin Megami Tensei franchise, which has a long and storied history in the world of video games – with many of the games appearing on Nintendo systems. Sporting an iconic mask and a variety of weapons, Joker is the main character of Persona 5, a beloved game that won Best Role-Playing Game and was nominated for Game of the Year at last year's The Game Awards.-

Joker apparently represents SMT and that's why they chose him. The way they worded it makes it seem like he's just there to promote SMTV.
They can't say "this is to promote a game that's not announced for our system yet". The Cloud release also specified "Final Fantasy has a long history with Nintendo".

TL;DR- it's a pretty standard and generic PR message.

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
Holy fucking shit I had forgotten what it felt like to be genuinely blown away and hyped for a Smash reveal instead of just thinking "yeah okay sure" and being mildly excited. It's been so long. Maybe even since Brawl. I'm so happy right now.
This is the most I've cared since Solid Snake tbh. It was so surreal watching that trailer and seeing the Smash Bros logo on the letter. I was literally speechless for a good 30 seconds. I doubt it ever happens again but in that moment it was so so good

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Were there any rumors or hints like at all? I know people have asked for Persona characters for years, but like, the idea of a P5 character never even crossed my mind.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
You can 100% the game, but it's really hard to do without a guide on your first playthrough. And using a guide kind of ruins the experience, IMHO. It's the sort of game that rewards not being a perfectionist, because part of the joy is the freedom to decide how you want to spend your time.

Thanks.
If I may ask another question, are the Persona games connected ? Should I start with the first one ?

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't fucking believe it. Joker was my #1 dream character. Posted about that here multiple times. It was like a pie-in-the-sky kinda thing. And now it feels like Miyamoto or whoever chose the dlc characters flew up into the sky, got the pie and placed it at my feet on a silver platter and said "There you go. You're welcome." I must be asleep or something. Holy shit.
When the lights went out I thought "ah. Here comes the cheeky Nintendo thing. Guess it's time for Metroid (don't care much for Metroid)." Then the Phantom Thieves logo came on and I was absolutely bamboozled. My mind started racing with the possibilities what this could be for. "Weird to have an announcement at a US show and not one of their own jp steams" I thought. Is it some anime thing? P5 Crimson? PERSONA 5 ARENA?? Is it finally time???
Then Morgana mentioned something about getting invited and for a split second I considered THAT possibility, but that couldn't actually happen right? No way. It aint time for Smash yet. And then he held the letter up. A white, standard letter from the back, an invitation.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No fucking way!!! And then he turned that letter and I saw what I so deeply wished to see. The goddamn Smash logo. I jumped out of my fucking seat and screamed like a schoolgirl, probably an even higher pitch. Holy fucking shit. This has been the hypest Smash character announcement since Mega Man for me. I'm still reeling. I just can't fucking believe it.
I'm probably gonna wake up soon, right? This was too perfect.

Oh man. I love this.

And I'm on the same page. That entire announcement was so goddamn great. "Wait, P5? Alright, what's up? Smash? Wtf, holy shit, what xawoffanro??"

First Smash Ultimate character reveal to have that impact on me. Now I just need them to announce Madeline from Celeste.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash has peaked, I cant see it ever getting better than this. This is the most hyped ive been for smash since snake was announced in brawl

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
To all who keep moaning about why some Nintendo character wasn't chosen, take a moment to read this and realise how awesome an announcement like this really is:

I still can't fucking believe it. Joker was my #1 dream character. Posted about that here multiple times. It was like a pie-in-the-sky kinda thing. And now it feels like Miyamoto or whoever chose the dlc characters flew up into the sky, got the pie and placed it at my feet on a silver platter and said "There you go. You're welcome." I must be asleep or something. Holy shit.
When the lights went out I thought "ah. Here comes the cheeky Nintendo thing. Guess it's time for Metroid (don't care much for Metroid)." Then the Phantom Thieves logo came on and I was absolutely bamboozled. My mind started racing with the possibilities what this could be for. "Weird to have an announcement at a US show and not one of their own jp steams" I thought. Is it some anime thing? P5 Crimson? PERSONA 5 ARENA?? Is it finally time???
Then Morgana mentioned something about getting invited and for a split second I considered THAT possibility, but that couldn't actually happen right? No way. It aint time for Smash yet. And then he held the letter up. A white, standard letter from the back, an invitation.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No fucking way!!! And then he turned that letter and I saw what I so deeply wished to see. The goddamn Smash logo. I jumped out of my fucking seat and screamed like a schoolgirl, probably an even higher pitch. Holy fucking shit. This has been the hypest Smash character announcement since Mega Man for me. I'm still reeling. I just can't fucking believe it.
I'm probably gonna wake up soon, right? This was too perfect.