• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot believe it...I literally, a week ago, asked my buddy.

"What would you do if Joker got into Smash?"
"Cry."

IT. HAPPENED.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
was this the first time that they explicitly called it "pack 1?" i can't recall with what terms they introduced it. wonder if it'll all be crazy third-party characters or if it'll be a blend of third-party surprises and first-party deep dives.

and at this point the only gaming characters I could really imagine being surprised by is if an attempt to get banjo escalated and suddenly there was a full-blown microsoft-properties crossover with like, minecraft and halo content.

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
People are more exciting for a possiblibility of a 5 year old port than the character itself is very telling, lol

Well, after all Cloud represent a 22 years old port on a Nintendo system !

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit I had forgotten what it felt like to be genuinely blown away and hyped for a Smash reveal instead of just thinking "yeah okay sure" and being mildly excited. It's been so long. Maybe even since Brawl. I'm so happy right now.
Pretty much. This reveal came out of nowhere, and I was blown away by it.

Reminded me how effective genuinely cool surprises can be when they're not leaked beforehand, too.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So real talk, what should the stage be? I can't see Cafe Leblanc working. I vote riding on top of the Morgana Bus in Mementos.

Also, I can think of no better Final Smash than Sinful Shell.

Satanael-persona-5.png

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
People are more exciting for a possiblibility of a 5 year old port than the character itself is very telling, lol

Well, after all Cloud represent a 22 years old port on a Nintendo system !
This is literally not a thing that has happened. People are excited about the character and are excited about a possible port... but I don't see a single person going "Lul Joker? I want P5 not a smash character!" or anything even close to that.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
ohhhh i see. my brain parsed it originally as like "there's a chance they're implying a second fighter pass later on."

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
All of these jokes about Joker stealing the invitation are hilarious, but realistically him being the third SEGA rep means he possibly saved us from Shadow the Hedgehog being playable.

Descapp

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing, dlc pack already worth it. Would be sick if we also got music from earlier Persona games.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is literally not a thing that has happened. People are excited about the character and are excited about a possible port... but I don't see a single person going "Lul Joker? I want P5 not a smash character!" or anything even close to that.
There've been a few comments in this thread of people disappointed this wasn't a P5 Switch port and a Smash character instead. The sentiment is a small minority, though.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So real talk, what should the stage be? I can't see Cafe Leblanc working. I vote riding on top of the Morgana Bus in Mementos.

Also, I can think of no better Final Smash than Sinful Shell.

Satanael-persona-5.png
Naaaaaah, All out Attack. Smash is already one to spoil video games but this has to be the final Smash.

Hero.jpg

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
The crazy thing is Geoff teased this.
"The things you won't see coming."

Edit: I figured out how to embed the tweet.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm happy for you guys. Never played a Persona before, but that might change in the future.

I'd be more psyched about some N64 representation, but this is fine too.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Legit made me grab the fighter pass right away, and I probably won't even be receiving the game until Monday, let alone whenever the first pack finally comes out.

Joker has far wider appeal than any SMT protag would, with how big P5 is/was. They're reaching beyond the usual Nintendo demographic, and it fucking worked.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
I must say I'm not feeling it.
We got the worst persona MC from the worst Persona game, instead of Flynn, the Doom marine from SJ or the Devil Survivor MC.
Heck, even Jack frost would make more sense. Choosing joker it's just stupid.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've got about an hour of Ultimate in me but I still don't feel anything good about this announcement. I'm glad people are excited but this pick checks basically every box I didn't want to see in DLC:

-Recency bias in long running series (especially if it's a promotional thing, to be seen)
-3rd party
-No real history with Nintendo

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I hope he stole another card and gave it to Alicia Melchiott.
Selvaria Bles is effectively the mascot of that series now so it would probably be her. She would be more fitting for a game like this too I think.

If we get another SEGA rep (not expecting this at all) I think it would be Kazuma Kiryu. I personally want Joe Musashi from Shinobi in more than anyone though. Gilius Thunderhead would also be another great retro rep.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017