• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
If they're marketing anything, this released a week ago in Japan
persona-q2-boxart.jpg

The dancing games literally came out only a few days ago. The sales are going to boost now because of this.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No, on the right side. She's wearing her mask.

That's link, why would you expect a random p5 cast member in the middle of them flashing through the other major smash characters?

The dancing games literally came out only a few days ago. The sales are going to boost now because of this.

And Q2 released a week ago?... Nintendo chose to announce this now and obviously doesn't care about Sony's titles selling more...

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Also I might be the only person who cares about this and that's fine but that trailer confirms a Makoto spirit.

...no, you are not the only person who cares that Makoto is now present in some form in a Smash game. :P

God. Being able to revisit P5's world in a stage, seeing P5 character representation among the spirits, being able to just throw on some of that fantastic music in the background... seriously, this Joker announcement is making me fall in love again with Smash's very premise. They sure waited last minute to make me feel these things.

Edit: Apparently you were wrong about the Makoto thing, but I'm still holding out hope.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's press release via Gematsu

-The Persona games are a spinoff of the popular Shin Megami Tensei franchise, which has a long and storied history in the world of video games – with many of the games appearing on Nintendo systems. Sporting an iconic mask and a variety of weapons, Joker is the main character of Persona 5, a beloved game that won Best Role-Playing Game and was nominated for Game of the Year at last year's The Game Awards.-

Joker apparently represents SMT and that's why they chose him. The way they worded it makes it seem like he's just there to promote SMTV.
You better pray thats the truth so that you ca continue sleeping at night.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
Legit happy to see Ness in a Smash trailer, and a Persona one at that!

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I like other characters more than Joker too, but to say that Joker doesn't make sense is silly.

Persona 5 is the current hotness right now, there was literally no way it'd be anybody else lol.
But it doesn't represent Atlus legacy with Nintendo nor the Persona series. Like you say, he's just the "current hotness".
Jack Frost as the mascot or any of the mainline's MC would make much more sense.
And if they wanted to stick with Persona, Maya or door-kun would've been more interesting choices.
Even an EO character would make more sense than Jocker.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Thanks.
If I may ask another question, are the Persona games connected ? Should I start with the first one ?
The first two Persona games (actually three because Persona 2 is split into two games) are basically completely ignored by the later Persona games and are basically completely different games. So, if you really wanna get in the series, you could just start with 3. But the games are basically unconnected. Except a few references. But the Persona Q games and Persona Arena games are crossovers that involve bringing characters from across the series (but only characters from 3 onward) together.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it doesn't represent Atlus legacy with Nintendo nor the Persona series. Like you say, he's just the "current hotness".
Jack Frost as the mascot or any of the mainline's MC would make much more sense.
And if they wanted to stick with Persona, Maya or door-kun would've been more interesting choices.
all of this is wrong

everyone is stoked about joker, if they had Jack frost or Maya (??) people would be pissed and wondering why it wasn't joker

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
if they had Jack frost people would be pissed and wondering why it wasn't joker
9474267D8243EF5B24858C6D1807B424C2D068D4

I like Joker, and I'm glad to see him in Smash, but let's be real here. Sure he wouldn't generate as much excitement as Joker but I don't think anyone would be pissed that Atlus' mascot had his chance in Smash.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Jack Frost would be such a lame pick compared to Joker.

Honestly, Joker is the perfect protagonist out of all the Persona protagonists to make it, just aesthetically. Similar reasons for why ASW's reaction when they saw the February 2015 reveal trailer was that "These characters would be perfect for a fighting game."

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Putting Jack Frost instead of Joker would be like putting Chocobo/Moogle/Chocomog instead of Cloud.

Yes, the generic monsters have more "Nintendo relevance". They would also be much, much more lame of a character pick.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Oh good. Nintendo announced that almost all of the PS1/PS2 Final Fantasy games were coming to Switch like 12 hours after you definitively declared that they would remain Sony exclusive forever, so hopefully your reverse-Nostradamus works again.
There is actual facts from my side where all of you are doing the exact of circumstance, no evidence whatsoever and have just conjecture and wishlists. Which is why I stopped bothering responding to anyone that says it because it's not worth the effort.

It's almost like a gag at this point.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

He represents the series at its peak of popularity. Nobody gives a fuck about the persona 3 MC beyond the most insular persona fans, compared to the two that followed, and suggesting an even earlier persona protagonist? You must be kidding.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I honestly couldn't give a single solitary fuck about "Nintendo purity".

As long as they featured in a game on a Nintendo platform, even as a fucking cameo, then they're eligible.