• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That looks cool! It would join Earthbound and Castlevania as a series with a relatively intricate symbol. What exactly does that symbol refer to? I've only played P5.
It's the symbol for the arcana/tarot cards, a recurring theme of the Persona series.

c403517201969acf78efb3f2a5000ba8--persona--tarot-reading.jpg

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Man I'm still so happy about this.

They really nailed Joker's design (and the P5 character designs in general) that I'm happy it took until now for this to happen, Joker is so much cooler than other SMT/Persona characters.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I personally think we'll get the Phantom Thieves symbol instead.

The Phantom Thieves symbol is only significant in the context of Persona 5 and not the Persona series as a whole. Typically most 3rd party reps in Smash represent their entire series in some form so it's more than likely that a catch all Persona series logo may be used in this case.

I wouldn't mind the Phantom Thieves logo though. Although I suppose the FF7 Meteor representing Cloud might an outlier in this case, so who knows, they might use the Phantom Thieves logo.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The Phantom Thieves symbol is only significant in the context of Persona 5 and not the Persona series as a whole. Typically most 3rd party reps in Smash represent their entire series in some form so it's more than likely that catch all Persona series logo be used in this case.

Honestly I don't think that matters as much as people give it credit for.

The phantom thieves symbol is a more eye catching image imo, hence why I think they would use it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That looks cool! It would join Earthbound and Castlevania as a series with a relatively intricate symbol. What exactly does that symbol refer to? I've only played P5.

It's also a very oblique reference to Philemon, the otherworldly entity in charge of giving Personas to people, and Igor's "boss". He doesn't appear in person in the Social Link era of the Persona games, but any time you see a mask design motif or a butterfly, it's referencing Philemon.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I love Persona 5 soundtrack, but everyone keeps forgetting the ultimate battle theme from Persona games:

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I've never played an SMT or Persona game. However, I'm looking forward to Joker and everything that comes with him. What are some of the popular music from both franchises?