• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this character, he's ridiculously OP:

• His Neutral Special has great range, and also slows people down
  • His Side Special has lingering damage
  • His recovery is great
  • His Rebellion Meter literally fills up faster if you try to interrupt it
  • He has a Counter and a Reflect
  • With Arsene, his Smash attacks are ridiculously strong
  • With Arsene, his Side Special is even stronger
  • With Arsene, his recovery is even better
  • He gets two Final Smash hits—miss the first time, and you get a second attempt at trying to land a hit
What a ridiculously overpowered character lol. I hope they don't nerf him.

Oct 25, 2017
What a ridiculously overpowered character lol. I hope they don't nerf him.
Confused_Christian_Bale.0.gif

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
We won't know for sure until a month from now

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joker occupies the spot the fourth Marths and Ganondorf did for like the first month of the game. Give it some time and you'll get used to the matchup.

I sure haven't though.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem beating him with plant, not sure what skill level jokers I've fought though

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
He's pretty gimpable without Arsene, just drop down and boop him while he's hanging before he reels up to the ledge and he's donion rings.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
He is a saint of terror.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
But the first day he was out, everyone in the thread was complaining he was trash tier and there wasn't anything redeeming about him.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He's nowhere close to OP. He sucks ass against short characters.

He's definitely somewhere in high tier though. Character with his combo game, kill confirms, mobility and comeback factor can't be lower than that.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can barely handle casual play with my own friends lol.
That said, it's too early for tournaments featuring Joker for now, no?
If he was OP as you say, it wouldn't be too early at all. People would be playing him competitively already.

I've seen a few people take to him. Leffen's been putting in work with Joker. But there has been nothing to indicate him being OP. He seems pretty balanced.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
It sucks because when I go online I always run into Jokers to the left of me and some clowns who disconnect to the right and I'm just stuck in the middle with my Wii U

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he was OP as you say, it wouldn't be too early at all. People would be playing him competitively already.

I've seen a few people take to him. Leffen's been putting in work with Joker. But there has been nothing to indicate him being OP. He seems pretty balanced.
Whatever he is, don't change it, I love it.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Also he's been out for less than a week so he's not going to be featured in any majors that are locked to the previous patch.
Not simply majors, but just weeklies or locals. When an immediately apparent OP character drops in an FG, everyone knows it. Maybe down the line, Joker will be developed that way. But right now, it's certainly not the case.

Dec 31, 2018
  • His Neutral Special has great range, and also slows people down
  • His recovery is great
  • He has a Counter and a Reflect
Eh... I don't know about these points. His neutral has okay range. It's not as good as a star fox character or Bayonetta, which was what I was expecting. Its fun to use tho. His recovery isn't BAD, but I wouldn't say its great. It has the most range of any tether, but like stated before, its pretty easy to defend or gimp. He does have a counter and a reflect, but I don't think this is that big a deal. K. rool can counter and deflect for certain moves as well, and if you counter a projectile with any other character it works fine. So these things are okay, but I don't think they're overpowered and I don't think they make Joker overpowered.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone says that with every single new character until they get used to them.

Also, people keep talking about the counter that's also a reflect. Three other characters have that, it's not exactly that big of a deal.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Except, he really kinda sucks until you charge his Persona gauge? And once Arsene leaves, it's back to mediocrity for a while?

I dunno. I'd say he is a definitional "strongweak" character (which may not be a real FGC term, but as of now it should be? Lol).

Last edited:

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
Everyone knows it especially the people that main him. Honestly if a company is going to make you pay for a character, the character'll most likely be better than good. It showed up with Cloud and then Bayo in smash 4. DBFZ is making cake off this strat

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
He's weak as hell without Arsene and can't kill to save his life

No way is he OP

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wrt tournaments, Zackray has already won Japanese local tournaments with Joker (though that might speak more to Zackray's than Joker).

Adressing the topic, no, Joker isn't OP. I actually think they did pretty well with his kit overall. Nothing seems overbearing but he also doesn't seem lacking like Piranha Plant. I think that's a good spot for a DLC character to be in.
Gonna be really interesting to see how he's gonna perform at majors.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Except, he really kinda sucks until you charge his Persona gauge? And once Arsene leaves, it's back to mediocrity for a while?

I dunno. I'd say he is a definitional "strongweak" character (which might not be a real FGC term, but as of now should be? Lol.)

Yeah, I was gonna say, Joker's pretty awful at killing without Arsene out.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Thought this was gonna be about the LittleZ video. Now I'm sad.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What type of games are you getting your impressions from? Cause he's good but not busted.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not super OP. He's quite good, though, likely high tier, and will definitely see a good bit of competitive play.

There were a couple of people saying he is trash on launch day, which was always laughable.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I think the damage differential between Joker and Joker w/Arsene needs to be reduced. Buff his normal damage, and reduce his damage when Arsene is active.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
id imagine elite is a poor metric to judge whether a character is op but in my region (northwest united states) i was getting a joker every other match in elite yesterday lol
It's to judge where the OP is coming from. If someone is at least in Elite, they have a base level of knowledge with the meta and the game to somewhat gauge if a character is OP or not. But if they're not even close, well...

Naturally, at all levels of play, there'll be Jokers everywhere because he's the new hotness.