• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
whgC7oV.jpg

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People found like 50% damage combos with him already, within a week of his release.
That means there's likely going to be absolutely ridiculous combos with him.

Obviously there won't be any tournament results yet, part because people are still learning the character, and also because most tournaments didn't use 3.0 until very recently (there's a general agreement to not use patches that were released after I think Tuesday? of the week of the tourney).

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
id imagine elite is a poor metric to judge whether a character is op but in my region (northwest united states) i was getting a joker every other match in elite yesterday lol
He's the first new character in months, of course everyone is playing him. Next DLC character will have everyone playing them as well.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
What game is this about?

Smash Ultimate

People found like 50% damage combos with him already, within a week of his release.
That means there's likely going to be absolutely ridiculous combos with him.

Obviously there won't be any tournament results yet, part because people are still learning the character, and also because most tournaments didn't use 3.0 until very recently (there's a general agreement to not use patches that were released after I think Tuesday? of the week of the tourney).

Wasn't that with no DI?

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's to judge where the OP is coming from. If someone is at least in Elite, they have a base level of knowledge with the meta and the game to somewhat gauge if a character is OP or not. But if they're not even close, well...

Naturally, at all levels of play, there'll be Jokers everywhere because he's the new hotness.

ah i see, i misunderstood your point. thought you were asking op if they were in elite and seeing lots of jokers or something.

a person being in elite doesn't mean too much anyway, it's relatively easy to cheese your way there with preferred rules

He's the first new character in months, of course everyone is playing him. Next DLC character will have everyone playing them as well.

yeah obvs,

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
You try to run me through- Hold on!
Think again, Don't you know, What you're starting?
But...
You sure ain't got a clue
How bad
This will go
Don't you know
Know my art
(Art of war)

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Best part about his inclusion is I get to beat up the representation of everything I don't like about anime... keep playing Joker, y'all are only making me stronger. OP? Nah, fools just get too cocky with their buttons. I don't lose to Jokers.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Joker suffers from camping quite a bit.

Projectiles can actually wear Arsene down. It's all a matter of adapting your playstyle.

Definitely not SSB4 Cloud broken.

His recovery is also terrible and easy to edgeguard. Both of them. Tethers are easy to predict and counter. And the Wings have a ton of landing lag.

Last edited:

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yet most of the pros disagree with you. He's mid-high to high tier and that's even just down at our casual level.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I don't see him being the next Brawl Meta Knight, so I respectfully disagree. He is incredibly fun to play with though.

I don't gravitate towards new characters very often, but Joker is different. Maybe it's because I played Persona 5 for 139 hours and I'm tempted to do another run again. On the other hand, Joker with Arsene in Smash is just plain fun.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I love this character, he's ridiculously OP:

• His Neutral Special has great range, and also slows people down
  • His Side Special has lingering damage
  • His recovery is great
  • His Rebellion Meter literally fills up faster if you try to interrupt it
  • He has a Counter and a Reflect
  • With Arsene, his Smash attacks are ridiculously strong
  • With Arsene, his Side Special is even stronger
  • With Arsene, his recovery is even better
  • He gets two Final Smash hits—miss the first time, and you get a second attempt at trying to land a hit
What a ridiculously overpowered character lol. I hope they don't nerf him.

You lost all credibility saying a character is OP with final smash.... lol nobody plays with items.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
We live in a...
Nah he's not, he's got a lot of tools but Up-B with Arsene up is very, very predictable among other things. He is very well made though, fun to play with and against.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
It's too soon to say.

But I do feel like it's easy to get wins with him with little effort compared to other newcomers in the past, and as an experienced player I feel like I have to put in work to keep up with him despite the fact that he's new.

I can see him emerging as upper tier for sure.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I see nothing about Joker that's as egregious as Smash 4 Bayo or Brawl Meta Knight. Definitely Top Tier however.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's super silly to declare a character OP after a week. He's good but he has a very high skill curve and his damage output without Arsene isnt great.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I know its only semi relevant but for two days in a row I've tried to figure out how to get Joker, I have the season pass or whatever it is and was able to get Piranha Plant no problem. I'm sure I'm just stupidly missing something and gave up after about 5 minutes of trying each time.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I think he's good but not super busted. Without Arsene he's pretty weak, but with Arsene he seems really good. The problem is that faster, shorter characters can pretty easily stall for time against him, which I think we'll see a lot of in his matchups.