• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
He isn't getting any royalties for this apparently:

This is amazing, and makes the moral panic over the movie even more hilarious. Gary Glitter is a piece of shit, but knowing he doesn't get a red cent pretty much confirms that many of the reactions out there from the press did very little research about it and was one last attempt to say "SEE! THIS MOVIE IS A BIG MORAL PROBLEM!"

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy that he isn't getting money out of this.

It's pathetic that the people who also didn't know he wasn't are in here doing a victory lap as though the reason they didn't care was because they knew he wasn't getting paid instead of the fact that they didn't care.

Riboflavin

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This discussion has run its course.

i am ORDERING all of you to stop posting IMMEDIATELY

ChrisTillmanIsAJerk.0.0.png

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Bahaha you just can't cancel this movie, this is so funny.

I also like how it had to be clarified he's a convicted pedophile, because you know every Hollywood film is financially tied to unconvicted sexual predators in some way.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's pathetic that the people who also didn't know he wasn't are in here doing a victory lap as though the reason they didn't care was because they knew he wasn't getting paid instead of the fact that they didn't care.

I think the reason people are laughing is most saw the effort as having dubious motivations at best.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For me it was more that people cared in this instance when I never recalled anything like this popping up before. Where were the articles or threads about Thor using Zeppelin? Or about any movie using music made or produced by problematic people. Where was your outrage then?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give me your best prediction for the next trumped-up controversy surrounding Joker:

"Someone on the catering staff was a racist!"

"Joaquin Phoenix sat next to George W. Bush at a baseball game once!"

"Todd Phillips yelled at a chihuahua on the set of Hangover Part 2!"

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I think the reason people are laughing is most saw the effort as having dubious motivations at best.

I disagree. I've seen a lot of these posters defending this movie who couldn't bother weighing in on the fact that we were being told that a pedophile was making money from this.

I'll be clear. Thinking that there is a problem with paying a pedophile royalties has nothing to do with whether you can enjoy a movie.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Give me your best prediction for the next trumped-up controversy surrounding Joker:

"Someone on the catering staff was a racist!"

"Joaquin Phoenix sat next to George W. Bush at a baseball game once!"

"Todd Phillips yelled at a cocker spaniel on the set of Hangover Part 2!"
Someone who saw the movie kills someone (with no indication that the incidents are related)

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
For me it was more that people cared in this instance when I never recalled anything like this popping up before. Where were the articles or threads about Thor using Zeppelin? Or about any movie using music made or produced by problematic people. Where was your outrage then?

Make one. I'll be right next to you talking about how shitty it is that people are paying pedophiles.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I disagree. I've seen a lot of these posters defending this movie who couldn't bother weighing in on the fact that we were being told that a pedophile was making money from this.

I'll be clear. Thinking that there is a problem with paying a pedophile royalties has nothing to do with whether you can enjoy a movie.
Honestly Gary Glitter's probably gonna die in prison anyway, he's never gonna make use out of any theoretical royalties so like, why sweat it

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone who saw the movie kills someone (with no indication that the incidents are related)
There's actually a pretty good probability that someone dressed as Joker will do something stupid on Halloween or at a Halloween party.....probably not a murder, but maybe something notable enough that the movie could be blamed.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
When you spent weeks saying this movie was for Incels but it wasn't

When you spent weeks saying this movie was going to empower the alt-right but it didn't

When you said this movie was gonna cause mass shootings but it didn't

When they figured out the behind the scenes Joaquin Phoenix video wasn't true

When you tried to say it paid a pedo to use their song, but didn't, and all you accomplished was making the pedo more famous in a country where he was a virtual unknown

YHYCe5i.gif

TtRhVpYl.jpg
I'm dying.

The furor over this film is amusing and pathetic at the same time.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no dog in this fight but I think using the music of a prolific paedophile is still bad whether he gets money or not.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly Gary Glitter's probably gonna die in prison anyway, he's never gonna make use out of any theoretical royalties so like, why sweat it

That's a valid opinion for you to have.

I don't know that he will be dead before he can make use of the money. We know the rich don't play by the same rules as the rest of us.

That is different than laughing about jOkERs TriCk after spending time in this thread just as misinformed as everyone but not caring about the pedophile because you like a movie. (Not you specifically.)

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru

It's not sweating it. But personally I'd rather not hear his music used in mainstream media.

To me it's that simple. Maybe it's closer to home for us UK posters of a certain age cos you know it appears our government and media accepted and propagated this type of behaviour in the dark days of the 70's and 80's.

You really did not want to be in care in them days.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Honestly, the celebrating over defeating "cancel culture" being more louder than simply being relieved that a pedophile isn't getting a cent? Says a lot more about people than anything.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I don't think we should be paying artists that are shit bags, but it's clear to me that this thread exists because of the current conversation about Joker, not because of any current conversation about Glitter. That's not a defense, just an observation. This movie is already under a lot of scrutiny for stuff like this, so that's why this is getting more visibility than your normal "Bad person's music in a new popular movie" concerns.

I can't speak for others, but if you read my posts in the thread, I never attacked the film. Simply made the observation that the song choice seemed like another attempt by the director to troll critics.

Was the make-up they used in Joker animal tested? I'd like to know this. I tipped the Hollywood Reporter about this.

Real talk though, Gary was charged in 2015. They should have done a better job of vetting this and considered using another song. But no, I don't think we should boycott Warner Bros. now.
I didn't even know who this guy was until this thread. With that said, can they change it in the Blu-Ray?

Anyone who follows sports in the US knows about Glitter. The NFL stopped using his songs a decade ago, and a bunch of NHL teams stopped using his music in 2015 because of his conviction.

The San Jose Sharks (to use a local example) were quite public about the decision.

This kind of leaps in logic is why people are rolling their eyes.

No, I am saying when you foster hytersia and fear mongering over what turned out to be nothing than any possible real issues brought up are going to fall by the way side because you've already spent your good faith and people are going to assume it is just more nonsense and it looks like an agenda.

The hysteria was driven primarily by the director. He's been out there playing the victim card since the film started press tours, and whined about wokeness killing comedy.

Do you really think he wouldn't have made a song choice like this to troll audiences and critics?

That was the basis of the OP.

Todd Phillips with the galaxy brain trolling to a new level.

Whelp what's the next angle boys?

So I guess you DO agree with the OP then.

They'll quickly find something else having gained no self awareness.

This is ironic given that you came in complaining about the premise of the OP only to turn around and agree with the OP, despite claiming that OP was in bad faith. ;)

Wouldn't be surprised if the director put it on purpose for shits and giggles.

That's exactly why the thread was made. From the way he's been promoting the film, I've no doubt decisions like this were made simply to troll and get reactions.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019

Would like a towel to get the rest of the egg off your face?

I can't speak for others, but if you read my posts in the thread, I never attacked the film. Simply made the observation that the song choice seemed like another attempt by the director to troll critics.

Anyone who follows sports in the US knows about Glitter. The NFL stopped using his songs a decade ago, and a bunch of NHL teams stopped using his music in 2015 because of his conviction.

The San Jose Sharks (to use a local example) were quite public about the decision.

The hysteria was driven primarily by the director. He's been out there playing the victim card since the film started press tours, and whined about wokeness killing comedy.

Do you really think he wouldn't have made a song choice like this to troll audiences and critics?

That was the basis of the OP.

So I guess you DO agree with the OP then.

This is ironic given that you came in complaining about the premise of the OP only to turn around and agree with the OP, despite claiming that OP was in bad faith. ;)

That's exactly why the thread was made. From the way he's been promoting the film, I've no doubt decisions like this were made simply to troll and get reactions.
The hysteria was not driven by the director unless you mean his comments made certain types in the media have an agenda to take him and his film down.

I was being facetious with the galaxy brain comment.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
On the next episode of Joker Unleashed you will see how a bluray disc of Joker breaks into a woman's house and steals her cat!

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you spent weeks saying this movie was for Incels but it wasn't

When you spent weeks saying this movie was going to empower the alt-right but it didn't

When you said this movie was gonna cause mass shootings but it didn't

When they figured out the behind the scenes Joaquin Phoenix video wasn't true

When you tried to say it paid a pedo to use their song, but didn't, and all you accomplished was making the pedo more famous in a country where he was a virtual unknown

YHYCe5i.gif

TtRhVpYl.jpg

Lmao, that Jesse gif is so accurate it hurts. Todd can't keep getting away with this

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Nobody was outraged at the Gary Glitter song on Gotham either

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea that Gary Glitter did the song and it worked so great in that scene

It kind of helps that Joker isn't a good person himself

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Didn't recently the Lego Batman Movie make Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror" a huge part of the film?
Like they quoted it in the opening narration and repeatedly played it throughout the movie.
And that was a kid's movie.
Guardians of the Galaxy used a David Bowie song in 2014 when he apparently had flings with underage groupies back in the day.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, another nothingburger. Who'd a thunk it?

I don't fault the OP for the thread, but the fact that so many mainstream sites ran with this nonsense without vetting their facts is fucking disgraceful. We all know why they did it though, and it's also why none of them will retract, or update, the articles they posted about it the last week or so. Or they'll move the goal posts instead of admitting their failings.

Are people still going to pretend like all of this Joker controversy stuff hasn't been straight up manufactured to shit on this movie?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I figured, usually when music stars go through criminal trials they sell their rights away for the quick cash

Jul 19, 2018
Impressively depressing responses here. People happily bopping along to a child rapist's tune as long as he's not getting paid. Fucking weirdos