• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I have heard this song a million times and I have never heard of Gary Glitter. I am definitely out of the loop on that which is probably my fault but yea in Canada and I guess the US it is used in sports all the time.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Guess you could say Joker really is a bad movie made by bad people, and people who like it are bad! Rabble rabble.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's seriously not even thought of as a song here. It's mostly thought of as a sound clip made for hockey games.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I found the coincidence pretty hilarious since i was aware of what a creep the artist was when i saw that scene

I doubt it was intentional though. To rectify this they should just replace the song on the home release with something else of equal 'hype/empowering' effect

Also dude's caking over all the sport events that play this track

I 100% guarantee Phillips knew exactly what connection this song would make and that it was intentional. Your reaction( and I assume the reaction of those upset by this)was what he was looking for. It's a troll Easter egg.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
that sucks, but i bet there are plenty of movies that are in similar situations but don't get brought up because no one is specifically trying to find reasons why seeing it is immoral.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
that sucks, but i bet there are plenty of movies that are in similar situations but don't get brought up because no one is specifically trying to find reasons why seeing it is immoral.
Me and the other people I saw the movie with immediately commented on it after the film. None of use were looking for reasons to say the film was immoral.

If you're interested, I think other movies probably shouldn't put Gary Glitter on their soundtrack.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with the artist behind it, but I swear I heard that song at E3 during a trailer or something. I said that to my young brother immediately when the scene played out. Can someone check out if this has been used on a game trailer?

Jul 19, 2018
Bit surprised by the handwaving and whataboutism in this thread, but I'm British and as someone else said, glitter is universally reviled here and no one would play his music on anything. But using ignorance as a continued excuse is weak. For me, if I learn a musician or actor or whoever is guilty of horrible crimes, I will make sure I avoid them from that point on. kevin spacey for example.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Incel thing didn't work. Say the film is racist

The racist thing didn't work? Say the film supports pedophilia.

Some of you have too much time on your hands.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they hadn't used the song but this shit is getting a little crazy.

Maybe the song can be changed for the blu-ray release?

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was the weirdest part watching the film for me, because I really recognised the song, remembered liking it as a kid and hearing it a lot, and then not hearing it for a loooong time. It's only when I checked the thread here I remembered it was by Gary Glitter.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
pretty much most sports arenas stopped playing that shit immediately after... so that's not even an excuse. just weird.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Me and the other people I saw the movie with immediately commented on it after the film. None of use were looking for reasons to say the film was immoral.

If you're interested, I think other movies probably shouldn't put Gary Glitter on their soundtrack.
I don't think it's a good thing or something that should EVER be overlooked. it's just hard to separate anything anyone says about this movie from the campaign against it, which appears to have largely only raised its profile and guaranteed its success.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Has the director commented on why he chose to use this particular song? I only ask because it was extremely jarring and took me out of the movie. Not because of the artist, but because it seemed tonally off from all the other licensed songs.

"Is it just me, or is it getting crazier out there?"
Also, lmao it begins. People completely missing the point of the movie quoting it.

I expect this one to get used a lot.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
I saw Joker in the UK, and, out of everything that happens in the movie, hearing that song on the soundtrack made me the most uncomfortable. I was really, genuinely surprised to hear it, and judging by how frosty the atmosphere in the cinema turned, I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

Surely Warner Bros. have a UK division, or someone who works for them who could have told them this was a bad idea? Unless, as has been suggested, it was intentional.

Jun 22, 2019
I wish they hadn't used the song but this shit is getting a little crazy.

Mentioning how a rapist paedophilde's music was used for a film is "a little crazy?"

...And so many others just bemusedly handwaving and being dismissive because there's many rapists out there in the entertainment biz that it's apparently fine to just tolerate it all, especially when sPoRtS.

Lol fuck this forum.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm not sure I understand the point of the Phil Spector whataboutism. It's quite possible to hate both a noted pedophile and a domestic abuser and believe the continued presence of either person's work in mainstream society, especially as people who are alive and able to receive monetary benefit from it, is bad.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
actually think you ppl saying it's used at sports and shit are pretty obviously not even sports fans because no arena (at least major sports in north america) has literally not played that shit in decades. maybe in like 1995 or some shit.

that shit is NOT an excuse for this shit being in this movie.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of frustrating that so many people (rightly!) told people spreading moral panic etc to wait and see the film, and form an opinion based on the content of the film. Here people are forming opinions based on the content of the film, and apparently that is now unacceptable too.

When you're wrong just move the goal post!

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I actually loved how it was used in the film. I feel like Gary Glitter is more of an overseas thing. We literally just use this one song for sports, and even then we have the bootleg version now.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, that's obviously why. I'm not sure people are fully understanding just how much no one knows who that is here or that there's even an artist associated with the hockey sound clip that plays to get the crowd to make noise. That's literally all that that's known as here.

I actually loved how it was used in the film. I feel like Gary Glitter is more of an overseas thing. We literally just use this one song for sports, and even then we have the bootleg version now.
Oh yeah, didn't a lot of folks opt to use a cover version towards the beginning of the decade? I always forget how royalties are handled in those cases, but I always assumed that they were considerably less due to not being "the" song itself that would otherwise need to be licensed out.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the "controversy" has been fed by him, rather than any external factors.
Not even remotely true.

The only thing he said that fed anything was his comments about comedy and wokeness, which had nothing to do with a film that's not a comedy and the controversy had already been going on for weeks.

Don't try to alter history when said history isn't even a month old, everyone remembers what happened.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
How do you feel about R Kelly's music being used in movies. Michael jackson? If we're going down this route than we are expunging a lot of music.

Why do you all think it's so hard to acknowledge that these people were all kinda shitty and that their harm isn't outweighed by whatever cultural value their music might have? Who the fuck is listening to R. Kelly in 2019?????

el oh el

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 1, 2019
Some people are desperately trying to "cancel" this movie but keep failing. It's hilarious.