• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, that's obviously why. I'm not sure people are fully understanding just how much no one knows who that is here or that there's even an artist associated with the hockey sound clip that plays to get the crowd to make noise. That's literally all that that's known as here.
People aren't responding with "Oh I didn't know that".

They are responding saying as if anyone pointing this out are making a mountain out of a molehill.

If people don't have any criticisms to make about the film's use of a paedophile's music (when he is profiting off it's inclusion), that's their choice, but I don't see any reasonable argument grounded in the idea that no one should care about this.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
nah, plenty of ppl knew about gary glitter shit when it happened. that's why it disappeared. ignorance isn't an excuse

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
actually think you ppl saying it's used at sports and shit are pretty obviously not even sports fans because no arena (at least major sports in north america) has literally not played that shit in decades. maybe in like 1995 or some shit.

that shit is NOT an excuse for this shit being in this movie.

That isn't true at all. 5 years ago it was still generating a quarter million a year in revenue, and it's fading "slowly."

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
That isn't true at all. 5 years ago it was still generating a quarter million a year in revenue, and its fading "slowly."

nah, b. check the date on this article breh

you 2000 and late. my argument wasn't that he's completely cancelled, just that people are aware of this shit even back when it happened. so the excuse that no one knew is false as fuck.

Mar 3, 2019
Why do you all think it's so hard to acknowledge that these people were all kinda shitty and that their harm isn't outweighed by whatever cultural value their music might have? Who the fuck is listening to R. Kelly in 2019?????

It's called separating the art from the artist. Most of the famous rock bands from 60s-80s engaged in sex with underage women, heck I'm guessing pre 60s as well. Are we removing all their music as well?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People aren't responding with "Oh I didn't know that".

They are responding saying as if anyone pointing this out are making a mountain out of a molehill.

If people don't have any criticisms to make about the film's use of a paedophile's music (when he is profiting off it's inclusion), that's their choice, but I don't see any reasonable argument grounded in the idea that no one should care about this.

People are literally responding with that. I'm telling you nobody knows who that is here or that anyone is even associated with that song. There's no association with person here when anyone hears that.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Oh yeah, didn't a lot of folks opt to use a cover version towards the beginning of the decade? I always forget how royalties are handled in those cases, but I always assumed that they were considerably less due to not being "the" song itself that would otherwise need to be licensed out.

Yeah. The NFL uses the cover version, but you still hear it out and about because not everyone knows the story of the artist.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i honestly never knew about the artist being a pedo till people were trying to use it to dunk on the joker movie, always thought of it as "that generic dadrock sports song" on this side of the pond. like it was unironically used in the american office
Same here

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know of the artist's conviction and only know of the song's use in the NHL.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
People are literally responding with that. I'm telling you nobody knows who that is here or that anyone is even associated with that song. There's no association with person here when anyone hears that.
If someone responds. "I did not know that", or even "It doesn't bother me", that's up to them, but there are plenty of people in this thread arguing that this shouldn't even be brought up.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'd be more willing to take the 'yes but what about [other musician convicted of crime]' people seriously if they weren't going to pull this same 'smdh cancel culture' in any sort of thread designed to discuss their terribleness. I definitely saw lots of "don't believe the MJ documentary's lies" posts and few if any of the posters trying to bring up unrelated artists here were working to shut those arguments down, let me put it that way.

It's called separating the art from the artist. Most of the famous rock bands from 60s-80s engaged in sex with underage women, heck I'm guessing pre 60s as well. Are we removing all their music as well?

Fuck, man. I ain't gonna complain. I, at least, can live without the Stones or Ziggy Stardust.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My high school played this at pep rally's.

No idea about the singer till I saw it mentioned on Joker's tvtropes page.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory accusations
I get the feeling some people are genuinely upset there wasn't a violent incel attack at a Joker screening this weekend.

IT'S JUST A MOVIE

I didn't even go see this movie because it doesn't really look like it's up my alley, but the constant attempts to make it something more than it is have been so tiring.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
The movie already made buckets of money worldwide.

The train is moving much too fast for it to be derailed, folks. Give it up.

Mar 3, 2019
I'd be more willing to take the 'yes but what about [other musician convicted of crime]' people seriously if they weren't going to pull this same 'smdh cancel culture' in any sort of thread designed to discuss their terribleness. I definitely saw lots of "don't believe the MJ documentary's lies" posts and few if any of the posters trying to bring up unrelated artists here were working to shut those arguments down, let me put it that way.

Fuck, man. I ain't gonna complain. I, at least, can live without the Stones or Ziggy Stardust.

So your argument against what i said is that because I am not omnipresent and don't look at every single topic on this forum 24/7 to go find specific examples to call out that other people said on a forum full of thousands of people that you have lumped in with me and called them and somehow I am exactly them.....it's not worth talking to you if you're just thrashing about angrily.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How do you feel about R Kelly's music being used in movies. Michael jackson? If we're going down this route than we are expunging a lot of music.

As far as Michael Jackson, I don't see how there should be an issue using his music as he is long dead. It isn't like he is profiting off of his likeness or estate anymore

Jun 22, 2019
I get the feeling some people are genuinely upset there wasn't a violent incel attack at a Joker screening this weekend.

IT'S JUST A MOVIE

I didn't even go see this movie because it doesn't really look like it's up my alley, but the constant attempts to make it something more than it is have been so tiring.

You don't like royalties going to rapists?
CLEARLY YOU WANT INCELS TO GO ON A MURDER SPREE!

FFS.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Of all the obviously unfounded complaints about this film, this is actually one of the few genuine issues. Money shouldn't ever be going to that nonce.

Still I can't imagine it being a malicious choice though like Shane Black's supporting his peado mate. They probbably selected a song and let the money men handle whatever liscensing had to be done. Or I would hope anyway.

Tiberius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
then explain why the NFL went to the trouble of BANNING a song by a nobody back in 2012, a full seven years ago.
According to wikipédia :

The NFL allowed a cover version of the song by the Tube Tops 2000 to be played, but in 2012, the NFL instructed teams to "avoid" the song following negative reaction from British media to the New England Patriots' use of the song.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
US here. I had no idea who this guy was until Era told me, I'd never even heard the name. I've probably heard the song 500 times in my life at various sporting events and we played it in middle school band around 97-98. Just my experiences with hearing it.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT

The point that it's still used pretty extensively and wasn't even addressed until 2006 in one league and not 1995? Your recollection was wrong. It's still a famous sports song and most people know it from sports today.

If someone responds. "I did not know that", or even "It doesn't bother me", that's up to them, but there are plenty of people in this thread arguing that this shouldn't even be brought up.

It's important context when trying to understand why it's there and why no one in the US was concerned about it. Singling it out as some kind of specifically bad behavior by this movie doesn't make sense to people. There's been very little discussion about strictly whether it's ok or not and objections to pointing it out here and ignoring it everywhere else shouldn't be confused with that.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know about the artist being a pedo until today. It's a really common song that's associated with sports and shit. Was a really odd song choice I thought none-the-less because of that reason, and this just makes it worse. I thought that it wasn't very fitting for the scene it was portraying. But...considering how crazy the movie is, it may have more purpose than I realized initially after I view it a couple of times.

But especially considering this....yeah. What the hell. Don't know why they had to go with this one.

Oct 27, 2017
People are really insecure about this super success movie getting any criticism. Even having an song by a pedophile.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never heard of Gary glitter until just a few days ago when it was mentioned on a family guy episode

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
So your argument against what i said is that because I am not omnipresent and don't look at every single topic on this forum 24/7 to go find specific examples to call out that other people said on a forum full of thousands of people that you have lumped in with me and called them and somehow I am exactly them.....it's not worth talking to you if you're just thrashing about angrily.

Look if you want to have a thread where we discuss the crimes of Phil Spector and how it's kind of fucked that his music is everywhere, you have my mostly-unnecessary approval to start the thread. We've had plenty of threads where we discuss how fucked up R. Kelly and Michael Jackson's shit is.

I've got better things to do than to police whether or not you listen to the music of Gary Glitter or whatever, but I do take dismissal of the sexual abuse of children seriously.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As far as Michael Jackson, I don't see how there should be an issue using his music as he is long dead. It isn't like he is profiting off of his likeness or estate anymore
Isn't the dude in question here in prison for basically the rest of his life? Seems like he was sentenced to 16 years a few years ago and he's 75. He'd be lucky to make it out of prison still alive.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
The point that it's still used pretty extensively and wasn't even addressed until 2006 in one league and not 1995? Your recollection was wrong. It's still a famous sports song and most people know it from sports today.

It's important context when trying to understand why it's there and why no one in the US was concerned about it. Singling it out as some kind of specifically bad behavior by this movie doesn't make sense to people. There's been very little discussion about strictly whether it's ok or not and objections to pointing it out here and ignoring it everywhere else shouldn't be confused with that.
BRUH what the fuck are you talking about. they'd be playing it in 1995 because he wasn't convicted of shit by then was he? it was 1997. you are missing the complete damn point. by 2006 when that shit happened his stuff stopped getting played quite a lot. does it still get played, sure. but it's not like the major sports leagues are ignorant till NOW about it. that's my point that you can't use the excuse that major professional sports uses it anymore. that the people say they do are smartass nerds who don't even watch any sports. so you're speaking out your ass regurgitating tired articles as if it matters.

people know about it, this director should know about it. and it's a dumb choice of song because that pedo fuck shouldn't get a cent